Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Nike SQ Machspeed Fairway reshaft

Hi Spies! I found a broken Machspeed 3 wood that had been sitting out in the sun for a bit a couple of weeks ago. It was broken about 7 inches from the hosel. I don't have a shaft pulled but I watched an @McGolfvideo and I drilled out the old shaft (I think I have it all) taking care not to hit the stopping pin (I forgot what Mr. McGolf called it). So I now have about 5/8" depth in the hosel.

1st question is: Is 5/8" the correct hosel depth? I don't want to knock the hosel cap into the head obviously, but I, of course, need to get the shaft far enough into the head. 

2nd question: I noticed the Machspeed has a collar in it. Is a collared ferrule a must? The shaft fits very tightly in the hosel currently.

Last question: I just bought an abrasive saw blade for my 10" chop saw with a 3/32" thickness. How thick should the blade be? We used one at work all the time, but I'm not sure the blade thickness.

Thanks spies!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Couple of questions:

The Machspeed I'm seeing did not have a bore through hosel. Are you saying that you did not remove the shaft totally and there is still some shaft in the hosel?

I feel like 5/8" is not enough depth, I would expect to see about an inch at minimum, but I've not done any work on non-adjustable fairway hosels. 

16 hours ago, Rtracymog said:

I don't want to knock the hosel cap into the head obviously, but I, of course, need to get the shaft far enough into the head. 

Can you take a picture of what you're calling the hosel cap? I'm not sure what you are referring to? Is it the old ferrule?

Last question: I just bought an abrasive saw blade for my 10" chop saw with a 3/32" thickness. How thick should the blade be? We used one at work all the time, but I'm not sure the blade thickness.

I just bought whatever was in stock at Home Depot for my abrasive blade. You just have to be sure to account for the thickness of the blade when making the cut. I'd also be sure to wrap some masking or painter's tape around the shaft where the blade will be making the cut.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

5 minutes ago, edingc said:

Couple of questions:

The Machspeed I'm seeing did not have a bore through hosel. Are you saying that you did not remove the shaft totally and there is still some shaft in the hosel?

I feel like 5/8" is not enough depth, I would expect to see about an inch at minimum, but I've not done any work on non-adjustable fairway hosels. 

Can you take a picture of what you're calling the hosel cap? I'm not sure what you are referring to? Is it the old ferrule?

Correct the old shaft was broken and I didn’t have an extractor. I’ve been drilling out the old shaft and glue.

The hosel cap is something I heard of in the @mcgolf video on removing a broken shaft. I had never heard of it before.

Should I just be drilling until there’s a hole there and letting the shaft go in a far as possible? 

Hi Spies! I found a broken Machspeed 3 wood that had been sitting out in the sun for a bit a couple of weeks ago. It was broken about 7 inches from the hosel. I don't have a shaft pulled but I watched an @McGolfvideo and I drilled out the old shaft (I think I have it all) taking care not to hit the stopping pin (I forgot what Mr. McGolf called it). So I now have about 5/8" depth in the hosel.

1st question is: Is 5/8" the correct hosel depth? I don't want to knock the hosel cap into the head obviously, but I, of course, need to get the shaft far enough into the head. 

2nd question: I noticed the Machspeed has a collar in it. Is a collared ferrule a must? The shaft fits very tightly in the hosel currently.

Thanks spies!

1) For a wood the insertion depth is generally 1.25 " before you bottom and risk pushing the hosel lug into the head. Easiest way to ensure depthis measure the drill and wrap a piece of masking tape at the proper depth.

2) yes it is must. However it does have to be the same length of ferrule, that part is cosmetic. 

Last question: if it is an abrasive wheel just make sure the cutting side is on the right side length. 3/32 is pretty good.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

13 minutes ago, McGolf said:

1) For a wood the insertion depth is generally 1.25 " before you bottom and risk pushing the hosel lug into the head. Easiest way to ensure depthis measure the drill and wrap a piece of masking tape at the proper depth.

2) yes it is must. However it does have to be the same length of ferrule, that part is cosmetic. 

Last question: if it is an abrasive wheel just make sure the cutting side is on the right side length. 3/32 is pretty good.

Thanks! Is there something that I'm looking for when I hit the hosel plug? Is it a different color, etc?

• 2 weeks later...

typically there is a silver (aluminum) or white plug in the bottom. it may appear to be sold with the hosel.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.