Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

3 piece ball recomendations

Been playing a 2 piece distance ball, and have for quite a few years. The reason is, when I do play a 3 piece, I struggle off the tee. I can't seem to keep it in the fairway, and I end up losing a lot because of spin. Now I know all golf balls spin, and hittng a slice is the worst spin you can have. So, I don't slice but maybe once every couple of rounds, usually when I get a little tired, or just sloppy play. I can keep a 2 piece in the fairway just about the whole round, but when it comes to 3 piece orbs, it's a different story. Seems like every other hole, I'm in the right rough, or launch one off into the trees  never to be found. Most have good distance, but spin off into ball purgatory. Yeah, I hit a fairway a couple of times, but just not consistent to play one regularly. Even for as soft as the TM Tour Response is, lost 9 balls in like 4 rounds. I have played 8+ rounds with my latest 2 piece choice, and have lost only 2 sleeves, mostly to water hazards, and a few bad drives. So, with all that, which 3 piece should I try? Never played the Cally ERC, or even the TopFlite Gamer, or any of the Maxfli Tour offerings. Not playing ProV's. I have tried those, and are like hitting a rock for me. Great around the greens, just no distance for me, as my swing speed is only 80 mph, off of a sim. I am 65, high 20+ capper  been playing 24 years. Any suggestions are much appreciated!!

Edited by drb1956
add content

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I’d start here and look at the low swing speed results as you are right there https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-balls-2021/

the advantage you have is that softer balls; since you say the prov line is too firm), won’t significantly impact your performance.  I’d look at the charts and results and find something in the price range you want and buy a sleeve and try them.  Then you can adjust from there.   As you indicated more backspin can also translate to more side spin.   

nothing wrong with playing a 2 piece ball, there have been several discussions on the benefits some players see playing 2 piece balls.  If it helps keep the ball in play, it Should help scoring, and lower cost.  Playing them consistently let’s you learn how to manage the lower spin around the green.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Can't add to much to what @cnosil said. My personal preference on 3 piece balls would be the e12 Contact or Q Star Tour, both are mid-priced and perform very well. The Maxfli Tour has received excellent reviews here also. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Only jumped in to add that if the ProV1 is a rock to you and still giving too much spin off the tee, I think something in the TM Tour Response (like you mentioned), the Titleist Tour Speed, the Q-Star Tour (mentioned), Vice Pro Soft, or the standard Chrome Soft might be a better fit. They're about as low-spin as you can get and still have a urethane cover. If those are still too much spin, then you're looking at 3-piece ionomer balls like the Q-Star (non-Tour)  but note that your short game spin is going to take a hit, if that matters to you. 

Full disclosure: I'm of the opinion that everyone benefits from a urethane-covered ball and I'm well-aware there are several on the forums that completely disagree with me. It's the internet. You're allowed to do that. 🙂 

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

I’d start here and look at the low swing speed results as you are right there https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-balls-2021/

the advantage you have is that softer balls; since you say the prov line is too firm), won’t significantly impact your performance.  I’d look at the charts and results and find something in the price range you want and buy a sleeve and try them.  Then you can adjust from there.   As you indicated more backspin can also translate to more side spin.   

nothing wrong with playing a 2 piece ball, there have been several discussions on the benefits some players see playing 2 piece balls.  If it helps keep the ball in play, it Should help scoring, and lower cost.  Playing them consistently let’s you learn how to manage the lower spin around the green.    

I pretty much have that with the ball I am playing currently-TopFlite Hammer Control yellow. Good distance, fairway finder for me, have great control with chips and pitches. This ball has nice manners around the green.My CBX2's love this ball! I read these threads, and everyone says, or tells me I should be playing a better ball, for greenside's sake. Got to get down the fairway to get to the green. So far, this is my way down there. Been playing fairly well with this ball. My gamer for now...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

13 minutes ago, drb1956 said:

I pretty much have that with the ball I am playing currently-TopFlite Hammer Control yellow.

I read these threads, and everyone says, or tells me I should be playing a better ball, for greenside's sake.

Don’t worry about what anyone else says;  If you have a ball that works for you play it.  If you ask for input, people are going to tell you that you need a ball that spins around the green.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

38 minutes ago, drb1956 said:

I pretty much have that with the ball I am playing currently-TopFlite Hammer Control yellow. Good distance, fairway finder for me, have great control with chips and pitches. This ball has nice manners around the green.My CBX2's love this ball! I read these threads, and everyone says, or tells me I should be playing a better ball, for greenside's sake. Got to get down the fairway to get to the green. So far, this is my way down there. Been playing fairly well with this ball. My gamer for now...

I have played a lot of 2 piece balls also, and there's nothing wrong with them for the most part. If you know how the ball is going to perform for you, and you account for that, there's no reason to stop playing what you like & you're used to. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

7 hours ago, russtopherb said:

there's no reason to stop playing what you like & you're used to. 

On the most recent Hack it Out podcast, Greg Chalmers talked about one time he played The Open and for the final round, it was going to be really windy and he thought he wanted a ball that flew lower. So he went into the pro shop and asked for the lowest-flying ball they had. He didn't test it or anything, just took it straight into play.

He shot 87.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I really like the Srixon Q-Star tour.  It is a lower compression and fits my swing speed (88-92) well.  It has a urethane cover so more susceptible to wear.  Excellent off the tee and holds greens.  Alternatively, the Bridgestone e12 plays very similar off the tee, has the same feel as the Q, but doesnt hold greens as well.  Is also a 3 piece ball but has a different cover and handles the wear and tear better.  My #1 choice is still the Q but interested in trying the Vice Elixr and TM Tour Response.

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

19 hours ago, GaryF said:

I really like the Srixon Q-Star tour.  It is a lower compression and fits my swing speed (88-92) well.  It has a urethane cover so more susceptible to wear.  Excellent off the tee and holds greens.  Alternatively, the Bridgestone e12 plays very similar off the tee, has the same feel as the Q, but doesnt hold greens as well.  Is also a 3 piece ball but has a different cover and handles the wear and tear better.  My #1 choice is still the Q but interested in trying the Vice Elixr and TM Tour Response.

I thought about the Q-Star, not tour. Says it spins better around the greens, because of the cover. Not urethane, but better than low price 2 piece offerings. Might have to try it..

1 hour ago, drb1956 said:

I thought about the Q-Star, not tour. Says it spins better around the greens, because of the cover. Not urethane, but better than low price 2 piece offerings. Might have to try it..

I have been playing Q Star intermingled with others for about 3 years. I’m sure I played the one you are referring to that had a ‘fast-something’ outer layer.  All I can say is every version of Q Star that I have played is a gamer to me.  I like the value.  Was disappointed in reading the review about QC, but I’m going to play them until/unless I find something better in the <=$35. 

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour