Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Fourteen Golf's Popularity on the Asian Tour

Fourteen Golf irons top model at The Asian Tour International

Article

I guess I was a little surprised that Fourteen had that kind of following. They are not very well known here and I suspect they don't have the marketing budget that the major OEM's have.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

My only experience with Fourteen Golf is with their wedges.

Here is a nice pair from a quick dredge of the bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fourteen-Forged-MT28-V3-56-and-V4-60-Wedge-Set-Steel_W0QQitemZ180479039053QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGolf_Clubs?hash=item2a0563964d#ht_1895wt_1167

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

My only experience with Fourteen Golf is with their wedges.

Here is a nice pair from a quick dredge of the bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fourteen-Forged-MT28-V3-56-and-V4-60-Wedge-Set-Steel_W0QQitemZ180479039053QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGolf_Clubs?hash=item2a0563964d#ht_1895wt_1167

Did you play them? What was your experience with them?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Did you play them? What was your experience with them?

Nothing so helpful. Hit a 60* from mats on the range. As nice as any other I have hit. And I still sucked with it just like the other tour wedges.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Count me surprised too. I mean...I've heard of them, but never seen them anywhere in person.

---- Edited, to add ---

But I can understand it...they make some good looking stuff, for sure.

I had/still have MT28 wedges A and S, MT28 V2 wedges 51 loft, MT28V3 56 and 60 wedges, MT28V4 54 and 60 wedges, MT28 Tour Stamped wedges 54 and 60 wedges(looked like Cleveland 588s), TB 1000 blades 3-pw, TC 550 (first version) 4-pw irons, TC 550 (second version) irons in the 4-6iron. Also the latest driver when it was still a prototype.

Fourteen makes really good quality equipment both design, materials and quality.

I do know however a lot of the Asian pros really only have bag, headcovers, and headwear deals. Fourteen offers the best compensation for that package. I think the problem is that in some of their designs the Japanese design philosophy of having big (and more offset) short irons is there. Soa actual play is an issue. I have seen more than 1 pro with Fourteen irons but have a MT28 48* wedge as the pw.

I had/still have MT28 wedges A and S, MT28 V2 wedges 51 loft, MT28V3 56 and 60 wedges, MT28V4 54 and 60 wedges, MT28 Tour Stamped wedges 54 and 60 wedges(looked like Cleveland 588s), TB 1000 blades 3-pw, TC 550 (first version) 4-pw irons, TC 550 (second version) irons in the 4-6iron. Also the latest driver when it was still a prototype.

Fourteen makes really good quality equipment both design, materials and quality.

I do know however a lot of the Asian pros really only have bag, headcovers, and headwear deals. Fourteen offers the best compensation for that package. I think the problem is that in some of their designs the Japanese design philosophy of having big (and more offset) short irons is there. Soa actual play is an issue. I have seen more than 1 pro with Fourteen irons but have a MT28 48* wedge as the pw.

Good to know about the endorsement package but the piece said they were getting traction with their new irons. So maybe this is a turning point for them.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I had some of there wedges at one point. I forget what model they were. I bought them used, having heard on a forum about how great they were. They were really nice wedges. Nice head shape, grind seemed to work for me. By the time I took them out of the bag there were pretty much no grooves left. Price drove me away from getting another set.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Good to know about the endorsement package but the piece said they were getting traction with their new irons. So maybe this is a turning point for them.

I hope so. Maybe a little late though. They moved production from Japan to China about June last year. That was one of the first moves the new owners (Daiwa of OnOff golf equipment and fishing rods fame). The new TC910s do look good and should attract a lot of the up coming pros that grew up on CBs. I am told the pw on the 910s are not as big as the usual JDM pws.

Re: the logo it looked better when it was lying down a bit. That was the way it was on my TB1000s. I'll see if I have pics somewhere although it should be on my imageshack account.

Found a pic

http://img40.imageshack.us/i/p1080931f.jpg/

XXIO, you're really a Fourteen connoisseur! I had a couple of MT28V4 wedges in my bag (which I recently traded out) and had a set of the TC550 1st Gen. Do you mind my asking where you live?

______

Dave

Image Gallery

• SPY VIP

We will be reviewing their new driver and wedge for you guys very soon. We just spoke with them today. We will see how they perform with the new review system in place.

#TruthDigest

XXIO, you're really a Fourteen connoisseur! I had a couple of MT28V4 wedges in my bag (which I recently traded out) and had a set of the TC550 1st Gen. Do you mind my asking where you live?

Thank you for the kind words. Just a guy who appreciates good equipment.

I live in SE Asia (Cebu, Philippines). The V4s were a bit of a disappointment for me. I liked the grind and the versatility of the V3s better. The V4 (has "conforming grooves" btw) just didn't have that low checker in the arsenal despite the literature saying it was easier to hit low. If you can get a V3 to try you will be a believer in the wedges. It was the V3 that got Fourteen to be the "number 1 in Japan" (retail sales numbers).

The TC550s were good. I'm not fond of the latest TC550s. The grey/bead blasted area in the cavity makes it look a bit cheap. I haven't tried them though.

I will say I haven't found a Fourteen driver that makes me want to put it in the bag. I have tried every one since the 606. I even had the 909 as a prototype (in late '08) with then unreleased GD EV7 and was disappointed.

The fws and hybrids are good but tend to be on the shallow side even for the "player's" models.

My only complaint is that unless you know someone in the tour department the only shafts that are offered in the irons are NS Pro 950s or DGS200. No PX or KB Tours.

Yes, that's their logo. Personally, I think they irons would look better without it.

Well, yeah, but what OEM is going to produce irons without a logo?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

We will be reviewing their new driver and wedge for you guys very soon. We just spoke with them today. We will see how they perform with the new review system in place.

That's great news. I'd like to learn more about the Asia brands. Because they are not sold at big box stores here in the US, you don't hear much about them. That is one of things that makes MGS so great.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• 2 months later...

I play a 56* Fourteen wedge. I like it much better than a Vokey, Rac or Scratch which I have owned. It has a soft feel, great balance and produces consistent flight and great spin. It is my go to club around the green. I can see why the pro's go with Fourteeen - high quality and great performance.

Titleist TS 3 with Fuji Ventus R shaft

Epic Flash 3 & 5 woods

Cally Big Berta 2019 4 hybrid

Cally Apex 2019 5-PW

Cally 48*

Honma TW4 56*

Titleist Volker Raw wedge 60*

Scotty Cameron X5 putter

Archived