Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What Equipment Have You Tested?

GolfSpy_APH

On 9/2/2022 at 7:20 AM, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Currently testing the new Ventus TR Red 6x in my epic max LS. Two range sessions have shown promise (although my Rapsodo wasn’t working… might be an issue since I got a new phone) so I have no hard data. 

Visually it looked equal in speed and launch but seemed to be a little straighter, which would be exactly what I’m trying to get out of it. 

Im playing 18 tomorrow so it’s going to get pressure tested real soon!

0D5D5448-5D54-49F3-871F-AEA50F69A838.jpeg

How is the Red working out for you so far?

I'm in a Blue 6s right now, and I love it, but I do wonder if a Red would be a better fit.  My swing speed is slowly creeping up too.  I am doing a driver and FW fitting at the end of the month and definitely intend to look at Red versus Blue.

Do you notice a discernible difference in ball flight?  In other words, are you getting the "High Launch" the Red claims to offer?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

• 2 weeks later...

Tried two things today at DSG 

Evnroll zero. Interesting putter but the feel was meh. Would need to go to an actual course to try. 

stealth and stealth plus with Kai’li white 60x 9* std setting. The plus was so hard to elevate and control. The feel was terrible using their maxfli rocks. The std stealth was better but the feel was still horrible. Ball speeds lower than my current setup. I was very drawy  with both. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Has anyone done any side-by-side comparisons between Callaway STMax, Mavrik and/or Epic 5w or 7w?  Very curious if the differences are even noticeable. I’ve always gone the hybrid route and have never played fairway woods, but there are a few holes I’d like more distance on a second shot.  A few days ago I went to the range with my wife’s STMaxD 7w (cypher men’s sr shaft) and really liked it - was hitting about same distance as my 3h but with higher trajectory.  Today I hit a demo ST Max 5w with regular flex and really liked.  Nice mid-high slight draw trajectory with about 190 yd carry, 205ish total.  But the price differential between STs and the Mavrik and Epic is substantial. 

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

I think I have tried almost everything. Currently working with the ventus black TR. Some good and some bad there. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

As many know I am in the market for a new driver. I really wanted to look a little more seriously about going down the Titleist route, however they are near impossible to find in LH here. So instead today I did a head to head with the Epic Max LS (demo on for a huge sale), Rogue Max LS, Stealth and gamer Mavrik Sub Zero. I do wish I had the time to try out a few more, but it was pretty clear what I preferred and what worked well for me. The Stealth no doubt is a good driver, that being said it isn't for me. The shape, face and feel just didn't correlate well for me and although I had good strikes with it, I couldn't say that it out performed the Mavrik SZ. Rogue Max LS was a interesting one. I love the feel, love the look and was one that I really wanted to make work. However again I could't quite see the different between the Mavrik. More forgiving yes, but not something that was drastically better. The Epic Max however seemed to tick all the boxes. So that is what I ended up coming home with. The nice thing is with it being a demo and the price being as good as it is it leaves room for a new one to potentially make its way into the bag later on next year if I get the itch for something new. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

My wife and I stopped a our local Golf store called “Redtail”. The locals know what it is. They have trackman so you get numbers to see what’s what. My wife is looking for irons and a driver. I am looking at drivers. I hit the Ping G425 in 10.5* and 9* and the Stealth 10.5. It’s what the fitter guy gave me. The one I liked the best but took the most concentration to hit was the 9* 425. It also had the best numbers. It was also the one I topped 4 times in a row. I took a small break, talked to the wife, the fitter graded the 10.5* 425 and went back to work, All seemed fine. Hit the Stealth 5 more times and went back top the 9* 425. The one number I didn’t get was spin rate which I think is probably the best number to have when hitting drivers. I could be wrong though. The 9*425 had a longer carry, lower ball fight which gave to run of course. I could almost work it just a touch, but I have this over the top thing working against me. When I remember that the ball went where I wanted. 

Next up in two weeks is Sub70. We will be there for fittings. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

Just now, JFish350 said:

My wife and I stopped a our local Golf store called “Redtail”. The locals know what it is. They have trackman so you get numbers to see what’s what. My wife is looking for irons and a driver. I am looking at drivers. I hit the Ping G425 in 10.5* and 9* and the Stealth 10.5. It’s what the fitter guy gave me. The one I liked the best but took the most concentration to hit was the 9* 425. It also had the best numbers. It was also the one I topped 4 times in a row. I took a small break, talked to the wife, the fitter graded the 10.5* 425 and went back to work, All seemed fine. Hit the Stealth 5 more times and went back top the 9* 425. The one number I didn’t get was spin rate which I think is probably the best number to have when hitting drivers. I could be wrong though. The 9*425 had a longer carry, lower ball fight which gave to run of course. I could almost work it just a touch, but I have this over the top thing working against me. When I remember that the ball went where I wanted. 

Next up in two weeks is Sub70. We will be there for fittings. 

which fitter did you see?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 minute ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

which fitter did you see?

I think his name is Joey. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

I played a few rounds with a Rogue ST Max D. On a Tensi white. It was a little shorter than my MavriK SZ, but, it was in the middle all day long. Very nice…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 2 weeks later...

Did some testing with my driver for an MGS lab and then did some number comparisons of data on the GCQuad.   Normal on the course driver speed was in the 103-105 range, a back it off an try to hit the fairway speed was 93-96, and swing as fast as I could put me in the 110-112 range.

After looking at the numbers, it was apparent that the swing as fast as I can might be the best on course option.   Low speed had the side effect of spin that was too low and some balls that had poor results but it did have a little tighter dispersion.  The swing as fast as I can swing did have a bigger dispersion, but not much more than my normal swing and I was getting about 15-20 more yards out of the drive. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Did some testing with my driver for an MGS lab and then did some number comparisons of data on the GCQuad.   Normal on the course driver speed was in the 103-105 range, a back it off an try to hit the fairway speed was 93-96, and swing as fast as I could put me in the 110-112 range.

After looking at the numbers, it was apparent that the swing as fast as I can might be the best on course option.   Low speed had the side effect of spin that was too low and some balls that had poor results but it did have a little tighter dispersion.  The swing as fast as I can swing did have a bigger dispersion, but not much more than my normal swing and I was getting about 15-20 more yards out of the drive. 

Full send away. I think this has been seen by plenty of golfers that when trying to go full speed you have to be in better sequence and thus dispersion is just about the same. Plus I personally feel it makes the game more fun!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

14 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Full send away. I think this has been seen by plenty of golfers that when trying to go full speed you have to be in better sequence and thus dispersion is just about the same. Plus I personally feel it makes the game more fun!

I would have said that about normal speed versus the slow my swing down approach.  Even though I know and it is what is continually said across the golf world but taking less club or trying to guide the swing doesn’t really help dispersion or guarantee hitting the fairway it was nice to see actual numbers and how the ball reacted to the different swings.   I think the issue with most golfers is that they typically look at one shot or one round where they did or didn’t hit a fairway and that becomes their basis for all.   Kind of like saying how far they actually carry a drive.   😁 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I would have said that about normal speed versus the slow my swing down approach.  Even though I know and it is what is continually said across the golf world but taking less club or trying to guide the swing doesn’t really help dispersion or guarantee hitting the fairway it was nice to see actual numbers and how the ball reacted to the different swings.   I think the issue with most golfers is that they typically look at one shot or one round where they did or didn’t hit a fairway and that becomes their basis for all.   Kind of like saying how far they actually carry a drive.   😁 

Well I did bounced a drive off a sprinkler head one time that went 320, so basically I always hit bombs

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Not so much a question about what I’ve tested, but rather what I should test/try.

I’ve been playing the same original set of CBX wedges for way too long I think. They have the stock Dynamic Gold shafts, about 110grams.

I’m playing MMT 60 A flex shafts now in my irons. I ordered a couple PXG wedges with the MMT’s also. Does it make sense to get the same shafts in my new wedges, or should I look to get similar to what I’ve been playing for so long?                        
I’m open to suggestions on a different wedge shaft. For what it’s worth, I’ve been told many times by friends that I have the game of a single digit player until I’m within 20 yards of the green with a wedge in my hand. Then I become a 20+. Ironically my sand game is well above average, chipping and pitch shots not so much.
To say I’m inconsistent is being kind. The tight lies we play off have wrecked havoc with what was a pretty good short game up on Long Island.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

I think for me this off season I am going to dive a bit more into golf ball testing and what will work best for me. This means both budget and game. Vice seems at least for the moment the best bet, but I am going to give Sugar a try despite its awful LAB rating and a few other DTC brands that are here. The majority of golf balls here cost 50 CFH or more per dozen with Pro V1 at 70 CHF or more (CHF and USD are about the same right now). I did try a local provider who made the putters (I did a article HERE) which you can chcek and said I would update on the golf ball. Well it was bad in terms of feel, super clicky, hard and just not appealing at all. So even though they are super cheap ... well they are super cheap. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Finally got to hit my new $93 PXG 0211 3 hybrid. First couple swings weren't great but after getting used to it, I can say that it will be replacing the Epic Flash in my bag without much further thought.

Didn't feel quite as fast as the Epic Flash, probably due to the head feeling slightly more dense/less springy, but the ability to go flatter than the Flash more than makes up for that. Some swings that would be dead hooks with the Epic Flash were just hooks with the PXG. Sole rails are a nice touch too.

I also really enjoyed the feel of the Tensei White AV Raw shaft. Very subtle kick under the hands which meshes well with my irons and is generally a good profile for me. No issues with height either.

Unbelievable deal.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Vice Tour golf balls. 

2 rounds in they are pretty solid. They are not a crazy good feel and it is clear the cover is on the cheaper end. However I really dont feel I have lost much in terms of spin or performance. I get too check up and stop on approach or chips. The flight is controllable and predictable and off the putter with the soft face of the whitehot microhinge face it doesn't feel clicky or mushy so at least until I look at a more bulk order with vice these will do the trick and I am quite happy with them. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Going to do some shaft testing with TSI. Wanted to go today, but just don't have the energy. 

Been a long couple days and rather make sure I'm feeling fresh if I'm going to do any proper testing. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I've been thinking about buying a SIM2 driver. Yesterday our pro found an old demo for me to try. It was good, but really no better than my Ping G400. I think despite all the hype  new OEM offerings aren't much better that the older models for the average player. They've pushed the technology as far as the USGA and the Royal & Ancient will allow. Maybe some people are able to gain thirty more yards with the "latest and greatest" offering, but I never have. Granted at 72 I'm fighting the calendar and my swing speed diminishes every year. If you are able to gain substantial yardage off the tee by trading your 2021 model driver for the 2022 model, I'm thrilled for you. I've just come to realize I have to be content with  getting it out there close to 200 yards in the fairway. 

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

29 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I've been thinking about buying a SIM2 driver. Yesterday our pro found an old demo for me to try. It was good, but really no better than my Ping G400. I think despite all the hype  new OEM offerings aren't much better that the older models for the average player. They've pushed the technology as far as the USGA and the Royal & Ancient will allow. Maybe some people are able to gain thirty more yards with the "latest and greatest" offering, but I never have. Granted at 72 I'm fighting the calendar and my swing speed diminishes every year. If you are able to gain substantial yardage off the tee by trading your 2021 model driver for the 2022 model, I'm thrilled for you. I've just come to realize I have to be content with  getting it out there close to 200 yards in the fairway. 

I’m always suspicious when I read a review and the person raves about the extra 30 yards, yet they list themselves as a frequent, competitive player with a 10 or less hdcp.  I just don’t believe those kind of gains unless they have a major swing flaw or restricted swing, which the fitter also helps fix.  And depending if at a store, people should be aware of the sim system setup, and ensure elevation is set at sea level.  

This past year, I’ve gained quite a few yards with driver by working on increasing my flexibility and then the amount of backswing rotation.  While I don’t have exact numbers, am pretty sure I’ve gained 20 yards of carry, and now consistently carry 210-220.  This is with a 6 year old driver which I would be very hard pressed to replace.  

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

Hoganman1 that G400 was a great driver - I wouldn't suspect you'd be able to get much more distance with something else. What you might get is more forgiveness.  Assuming you've been properly fit for driver any reasonable study that I've seen suggests there is often something to be gained about every 5 years ago.  Perhaps not much yardage but dispersion or forgiveness.  I don't have my G400 anymore but I'm guessing that I would hit it close to as far as the Stealth - but there's no way it was as forgiving.  I picked up 5 yards over the SIM Max that I had according to shotscope averages season to season - it's not because the longest drives were longer, it's because the shorter drives were fewer and I was hitting about 7 percent more fairways (more fairways, more roll out.)

I played with a guy who builds his own clubs yesterday.  He has maltby irons - very nice.  I hit his 3 wood a couple of times and he's going to build one for me - it's essentially a 4 wood with a 3 wood shaft.  I was really able to launch it high off the turf.  Clearly longer than my 5 wood - He thinks he can build me one for a touch over $100.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 11/2/2022 at 1:46 PM, Hoganman1 said:

G400 was and is so good. Truly regret ever selling mine 😞

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 3 weeks later...

I was fitted recently for the Titleist TSR3 Driver and my goodness that is something sweet. I also have the Taylor made Stealth a wallop and they are both INCREDIBLE. I noticed some distinct differences though and how they performed for me. The Taylor made Stealth is like a Lamborghini, it's esthetic is killer. It looks mean, it looks ready, it wants to attract a certain crowd and it has swagger to boot. I was hitting Pro V1 with both. The stealth is explosive, and forgiving simultaneously. It can pound a ball. But, it felt too explosive. It was like a dog foaming at the mouth trying to chase prey. It felt like it was faster than me and it had an endless pit of gun powder to blast the ball off the face. It felt untameable. My dispersion was close with both but the Taylor made felt "wild" for a lack of better terms. So see that red faced monster and feel you're not driving this car, it is. But my distances were ~314 with ~297 carry so I wasn't complaining. Much of that I suppose could be argued to a less experienced fitter, or a shaft that didn't fit my swing profile, or perhaps the launch monitor acting up but the feel is something that can't be quantified or measured and that's where these two differ greatly.

Insert the TSR3. This thing looks like a Ferrari, refined, elegant, classy, understated, and a bad ass without asking. Like a child who has loads of family money that just drips opulence. I had never hit a Titleist at this point in my life and it was not disappointing. This thing is FORGIVING! It is there to do one thing, hit great shots and it does it with such ease and grace. You feel in control entirely, the dispersion is tight, the distance is a few yards shorter than the TM Stealth, but negligible. It swings so beautifully, it's the right speed, and the right package. Honestly, it was like a perfectly paired waltz. No misteps, no questions. This is a statement piece from Titleist like they've been making clubs for 100 years and they don't mess around. All Titleist clubs have this elegance about them and it's not undeserving and the new TSR line sits atop that equipment list. You can't not have confidence with this club, it's so good it feels like it can't be undone by technological advancements. It has immense feel and performance.

Now I played a Cleveland launcher driver for a LONG time, too long honestly and Cleveland shouldn't be mentioned beside Titleist, and more recently a Callaway X2 Hot so maybe it's just the big jump 😅 I'll leave that up to you but what I can leave you with is the TSR lineup is the real deal. They will cost you your first born but honestly, children aren't as much fun!

Edited by TylorJudd

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

I know I mentioned it somewhere else but I recently got one of my favorite (or at least I thought it was) putters in the Ping Fetch. However after a good amount of practice with it and my last round well it has left me disappointed. Not because it is bad, but the StrokeLab shaft has made such a big change I don't know if I will ever be able to move away from it. I really want to try swapping the shafts around and see if I then get the feel of the Ping face which I really like in combination with the shaft I have gotten used to to make a perfectly unique putter and one that suits me a little more. 

I found it tricky on the greens and left so much short it wasn't even funny. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

47 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I know I mentioned it somewhere else but I recently got one of my favorite (or at least I thought it was) putters in the Ping Fetch. However after a good amount of practice with it and my last round well it has left me disappointed. Not because it is bad, but the StrokeLab shaft has made such a big change I don't know if I will ever be able to move away from it. I really want to try swapping the shafts around and see if I then get the feel of the Ping face which I really like in combination with the shaft I have gotten used to to make a perfectly unique putter and one that suits me a little more. 

I've enjoyed swapping the standard Edel shaft for the BGT Stability Tour shaft.  Similar concept to the StrokeLab.  Just a thought and yes, I like the Fetch model as well.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Crazy thought but, why not get another StrokeLab shaft for the new putter and maybe (good thing wives can't read this hehe) a shaft for every club in the bag? (They can't right? 🤔

Derek 🖌️ Verified Hack, ~21 handicap 🙂  Golf for exercise and peace of mind.  ⛳

|> Big Dogs: First Strike Rattlesnake (10)TeelessTM (13), Tommy Armour TA1 3h :1332069271_TommyArmour: (19)Ginty Trouble Club 1582792763_GintyLogo(4)35h.jpg.fc3c835085ee4b6630b4ac7543b068c3.jpg (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  

|> Wedges: Worx 429668682_worx30.png.ecb184a97c8fb80112252b57c05f40c2.png (55)  Lovett 1857218720_LovetSandWedge2(2)30v.jpg.e22c477791c7dd1d962d07e9624df8cf.jpg (59) 

|> Flatstick: L.A.B. Golf DF2.1  ⛳ 2104071333_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.4a85e684857a33281ff6a12753532913.jpg  1935535164_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.4af6ce349cb7b5117d2a8bb409c4b51f.jpg :OnCore: :footjoy-small:

⛳  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  1197970276_COBALTicon15tall.jpg.92ebd5a63e6ab7d194096885e37eeb52.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️ SwingU2023logowhite30.jpg.238c607458394f36c7b0cd29738166fc.jpgPremium  

💻 1529843961_EPLogosm.jpg.3a2a74e3a5b6c64d4cdd1489a5d253b0.jpgMGS Logo  🌐 646255544_dghLogo30.jpg.9383a65e038b6a10ea92d0ada58bbc58.jpgBall mark   ⛳   IGBRC  International Golf Ball Rescue Commission / Founder

295785881_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.6317ecb613080e94b9fe996cd81462c1.png Graduate/Mentor     1698190715_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.f28e1067b8bbf26fbd9d4c6c277f1a5d.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-12.png.8c8aee17ee565b3b96970802313957f9.png ⛳  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes :Inesis:

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters 1382751340_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.c054d635e47d481685d732a542e111af.jpg  ⛳ 2023 Official Tester - Red Rooster Sussex Golf Glove  :redrooster:

2023 Official Tester - Lean Lock Putter LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest! ⛳

This is first Ive ever heard of a putter shaft upgrade, and graphite to boot. I'm literally obsessed and just happened to have taken the shaft off my Scotty last week.... 

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, TylorJudd said:

This is first Ive ever heard of a putter shaft upgrade, and graphite to boot. I'm literally obsessed and just happened to have taken the shaft off my Scotty last week.... 

The Strokelab is a hybrid and makes it a bit more counterbalanced. 

I reviewed the putter a few years back and loved the shaft, but the face was or is still a little on the soft side. Hence why I want to try the change. 

I do love pings adjustable putter length grip and the grip on the ping putters.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

8 hours ago, TylorJudd said:

putter shafts have been a hot topic fairly recently.   If you really dig into putters, you will find that there have been putter shaft “upgrades” for a while.   Tiger used a head speed shaft in his putters and when they stopped making them True Temper made the YSC shaft which is a softer tipped steel shaft specifically for Cameron.  TP Mills was famous for the pencil shaft in his putters.   UST then created the Frequency Filtered shaft.  Since then manufacturers have created various shafts to better handle the heavier head trend such at the KBS CT putter shaft and the one step.   Graphite also has started to come to putters.  The odyssey stroke lab which was used to move weight out of the shaft and into the head and grip.    BGT and their stability shafts kind of started the big buzz with graphite shafts and all the manufacturers seem to be following suit:  LA Golf, PXG, Accra, MMT, Fujikura, etc.  have a shaft in the market.  UST is releasing a shaft this year that will be offered in more affordable Cleveland putters for minimal upgrade cost and the shaft is rumored to be on the $100 range if purchased aftermarket.   There are limitations in tip sizes, shaft bends, and over the hosel configurations unless the shaft leverages a steel tip or is specifically reinforced like the LA Golf SOHO design.