Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What Equipment Have You Tested?

GolfSpy_APH

32 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Depending on what you want to work on why not just buy a single iron that matches your set?    Maybe just get a 6 iron?

Because club hoes gon be club hoes Chris.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I checked out the Paradym irons- chances are REALLY good that they're gonna end up in my bag. The only decision left is which shaft to go with. I have it narrowed down to the PX Rifle 105 Tour Flighted and the Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105. The spin/launch/descent numbers were all right on the money. It all boils down to feel

Edited by Merlin1313

ALL :callaway-small:

Paradym 10.5*(11.5*) (Hzrdus Gen 4 Silver 60/KBS TD)

Apex UW 17* (Tensei AV Blue 75)

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid 20*/23* (KBS Hybrid)

Paradym 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Face Chrome 48* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 105X)

Jaws Raw Chrome Full Toe 54*/ 58* (Nippon Pro Modus 115 Wedge)

Jaws Full Toe Black Wedge 64* (DG Tour Issue Spinner 115)

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

1 hour ago, Merlin1313 said:

I checked out the Paradym irons- chances are REALLY good that they're gonna end up in my bag. The only decision left is which shaft to go with. I have it narrowed down to the PX Rifle 105 Tour Flighted and the Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105. The spin/launch/descent numbers were all right on the money. It all boils down to feel

Haven't tried the PX Rifle before, but the Nippon is one of my all time favourites. I am sure either one will be good for you! 

What made you look at those irons vs some of the other new offerings that are out? Or what made those stand out vs the others?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Another fine writeup @edingc

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, edingc said:

Had my 2023 driver "fitting" this morning. Fitting in quotes because I went in with no desire to try anything but the Paradym and Paradym Triple Diamond. I would have strayed to try the PING G430 line, but my local shop and PING are having a dispute about a pricing mistake and currently the shop can't order/sell any of the new line.

Couple good things I learned today, not regarding clubs, but rather my swing and practice setup at home:

• The Mevo+ is wickedly accurate with the latest RCT firmware update all the way up to driver now. I had suspected that the Mevo+ was misreading spin a little bit, but within 10 swings with my current gamer driver I saw the same things I see in my garage. Club speed and ball speed are right around the ball park as well.
  • Regarding club speed, I'm down 3-4 MPH both in cruising speed and top end from my peak about a month ago. I attribute that to actively trying to lose some weight so far this year. The fall was spent on what would be considered a "dream bulk" and my swing speed really improved during that period.

I hit just fewer than 20 balls with my current gamer (Epic Max LS @ 9, Motore X F1 X) and saw exactly what I've struggled with in the garage. Low launch knuckleballs that create a wicked two way miss with some really bad hooks. My averages below don't look so bad, but there were eight shots in this grouping with less than 1,900 RPM spin, and my ball speed is up slightly due to the hook misses that were low screamers.

image.png.d3679b7a356851f1d9ba847d6ac6b011.png 

I've been texting with my coach who thought I should go with the Triple Diamond, I personally felt like the Paradym would be the better fit for me. While I enjoyed hitting both, I was more consistent with the standard Paradym at the expense of some ball speed. My fitter felt like it was a toss up, but he did really like my consistency with the standard Paradym model. I had a nice baby fade going on for most of the fitting.

I tried all of the stock shaft options and a few upcharge options, but nothing could match the performance of my Motore X F1. 

I didn't see improvements in ball speed, but with the 10.5 Paradym head turned down to 9.5 my launch and spin came up a bit, leading to improved carry, while also taking away some of the left miss.

image.png.80e14d804e56cd2c4b0dad3bea41b80c.png

It would appear, at least for me, that Callaway's story about down range accuracy is not wrong.

I wasn't all that worse with the TD, but I really gravitated to the standard Paradym. I didn't hit as many shots with the TD:

image.png.d5bda9db3749b3092d8602325e953081.png

I tried a few different shafts, none of which felt as good or bested my Motore:

• Tensei White 60X and 70X
  • Tour AD IZ 7X
  • Kai'li White 60 X

My fitter also snuck in a TSR3 with a HZRDUS Black. It felt really good in my hands but I couldn't keep it on the planet and I wasn't all that interested in it.

All together, a successful $80 spent for the hour on Trackman. I'm a little torn on what I want to do. I know the Epic Max LS is not the best fit for me at the moment, the Paradyms were noticeably better, especially in sound/feel. The carbon sound is addicting. I do hope to see my speed return when I come off this calorie cut, so that has me debating whether the Triple Diamond is a better long term fit. I did spin some of the standard Paradym shots closer to 2,700, which might be a little high. I could change balls and shave a little spin from the ProV1x/MTB-X that I fit with. But with the additional spin comes some accuracy, which I desperately need. Though I could also flips the weights in the TD and potential add some spin and forgiveness back.

I really did like the look of the Triple Diamond. The face didn't look as open as my Max LS and the slightly smaller shaping was pleasing. Decisions, decisions!

Anyway, here's my whole dispersion for every swing today. Driver is the worst part of my game and this begins to show why.

image.png.3fc043a5be4ab0d977b54d98de5947e4.png

Image.jpg.e1ab760c8d6302e0de0090c2daa393b1.jpg

You do write the most thorough posts. They are greatly appreciated. 

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

Another fine writeup @edingc

1 hour ago, MattWillGolf said:

You do write the most thorough posts. They are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Heavily leaning toward the 10.5 Triple Diamond, turned to 9.5, with the heavy weight in back. I texted my coach again and he was getting 200-400 more RPM with weight in back, which would put me into a very comfortable range.

Going to have to sleep on it.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

3 hours ago, edingc said:

Had my 2023 driver "fitting" this morning. Fitting in quotes because I went in with no desire to try anything but the Paradym and Paradym Triple Diamond. I would have strayed to try the PING G430 line, but my local shop and PING are having a dispute about a pricing mistake and currently the shop can't order/sell any of the new line.

Couple good things I learned today, not regarding clubs, but rather my swing and practice setup at home:

• The Mevo+ is wickedly accurate with the latest RCT firmware update all the way up to driver now. I had suspected that the Mevo+ was misreading spin a little bit, but within 10 swings with my current gamer driver I saw the same things I see in my garage. Club speed and ball speed are right around the ball park as well.
  • Regarding club speed, I'm down 3-4 MPH both in cruising speed and top end from my peak about a month ago. I attribute that to actively trying to lose some weight so far this year. The fall was spent on what would be considered a "dream bulk" and my swing speed really improved during that period.

I hit just fewer than 20 balls with my current gamer (Epic Max LS @ 9, Motore X F1 X) and saw exactly what I've struggled with in the garage. Low launch knuckleballs that create a wicked two way miss with some really bad hooks. My averages below don't look so bad, but there were eight shots in this grouping with less than 1,900 RPM spin, and my ball speed is up slightly due to the hook misses that were low screamers.

image.png.d3679b7a356851f1d9ba847d6ac6b011.png 

I've been texting with my coach who thought I should go with the Triple Diamond, I personally felt like the Paradym would be the better fit for me. While I enjoyed hitting both, I was more consistent with the standard Paradym at the expense of some ball speed. My fitter felt like it was a toss up, but he did really like my consistency with the standard Paradym model. I had a nice baby fade going on for most of the fitting.

I tried all of the stock shaft options and a few upcharge options, but nothing could match the performance of my Motore X F1. 

I didn't see improvements in ball speed, but with the 10.5 Paradym head turned down to 9.5 my launch and spin came up a bit, leading to improved carry, while also taking away some of the left miss.

image.png.80e14d804e56cd2c4b0dad3bea41b80c.png

It would appear, at least for me, that Callaway's story about down range accuracy is not wrong.

I wasn't all that worse with the TD, but I really gravitated to the standard Paradym. I didn't hit as many shots with the TD:

image.png.d5bda9db3749b3092d8602325e953081.png

I tried a few different shafts, none of which felt as good or bested my Motore:

• Tensei White 60X and 70X
  • Tour AD IZ 7X
  • Kai'li White 60 X

My fitter also snuck in a TSR3 with a HZRDUS Black. It felt really good in my hands but I couldn't keep it on the planet and I wasn't all that interested in it.

All together, a successful $80 spent for the hour on Trackman. I'm a little torn on what I want to do. I know the Epic Max LS is not the best fit for me at the moment, the Paradyms were noticeably better, especially in sound/feel. The carbon sound is addicting. I do hope to see my speed return when I come off this calorie cut, so that has me debating whether the Triple Diamond is a better long term fit. I did spin some of the standard Paradym shots closer to 2,700, which might be a little high. I could change balls and shave a little spin from the ProV1x/MTB-X that I fit with. But with the additional spin comes some accuracy, which I desperately need. Though I could also flips the weights in the TD and potential add some spin and forgiveness back.

I really did like the look of the Triple Diamond. The face didn't look as open as my Max LS and the slightly smaller shaping was pleasing. Decisions, decisions!

Anyway, here's my whole dispersion for every swing today. Driver is the worst part of my game and this begins to show why.

image.png.3fc043a5be4ab0d977b54d98de5947e4.png

Image.jpg.e1ab760c8d6302e0de0090c2daa393b1.jpg

Think you’ll hold off, wait to get to the weight ya want and maybe go back? 
blasphemous words on this site I know,,,,hold off

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Had my TrueSpec full bag fit this past Friday - still waiting on the PDFs with all the results to come in, but I can already tell you it was one of the most fun things I've ever gotten to do.  I was gifted the fitting for Christmas from some of my wife's aunties (knowing that TrueSpec was running a Black Friday 1/2 off sale helped a lot, lol), and since I don't have the budget to buy anything new, I just went in and told the fitter that this was a dream scenario, so not to hold anything back.  I got to hit all the new toys (drivers: Paradym, Stealth 2, Aerojet, TSR2; irons: i525, JPX HMP, T200, ZX5; 3-wood: Paradym, Stealth 2), and about 15 different shaft combinations all-told.  

I'll give a fuller write-up later on this week once I have numbers to add in, but just being able to hit everything and not have to be worried about "what I can afford" was so freeing, and VERY worth the fitting fee (even discounted as it was).  If it weren't for the unbelievable case of the yips I had with the irons ("this never happens to me, I swear"...) which was, you know, hilarious and mortifying at the same time, it would have been a pretty much perfect day 😉

But seriously, I can't recommend the experience of a day like this enough, if you're AT ALL into gear - and why the hell else would you be reading this if you weren't? 😉

(In case you can't wait for the longer write-up, the Paradym is fantastic: would have gone with that in the 3/5 wood, hands-down, and the TSR2 was almost can't-miss - that would've been the driver for me.  The ZX5's were my fave of the irons that I could hit post-yips...just absolutely gorgeous and fantastic performers (and shockingly forgiving, coming as I am from Sim Max irons).

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Had my TrueSpec full bag fit this past Friday - still waiting on the PDFs with all the results to come in, but I can already tell you it was one of the most fun things I've ever gotten to do.  I was gifted the fitting for Christmas from some of my wife's aunties (knowing that TrueSpec was running a Black Friday 1/2 off sale helped a lot, lol), and since I don't have the budget to buy anything new, I just went in and told the fitter that this was a dream scenario, so not to hold anything back.  I got to hit all the new toys (drivers: Paradym, Stealth 2, Aerojet, TSR2; irons: i525, JPX HMP, T200, ZX5; 3-wood: Paradym, Stealth 2), and about 15 different shaft combinations all-told.  

I'll give a fuller write-up later on this week once I have numbers to add in, but just being able to hit everything and not have to be worried about "what I can afford" was so freeing, and VERY worth the fitting fee (even discounted as it was).  If it weren't for the unbelievable case of the yips I had with the irons ("this never happens to me, I swear"...) which was, you know, hilarious and mortifying at the same time, it would have been a pretty much perfect day 😉

But seriously, I can't recommend the experience of a day like this enough, if you're AT ALL into gear - and why the hell else would you be reading this if you weren't? 😉

(In case you can't wait for the longer write-up, the Paradym is fantastic: would have gone with that in the 3/5 wood, hands-down, and the TSR2 was almost can't-miss - that would've been the driver for me.  The ZX5's were my fave of the irons that I could hit post-yips...just absolutely gorgeous and fantastic performers (and shockingly forgiving, coming as I am from Sim Max irons).

One of the best things to do in the off season I think. So much fun especially when the fitter is personable

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

35 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

It sound like you had the golf geeks perfect scenario. I'm glad you got the opportunity to do this and I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience in more detail. 

Just now, sirchunksalot said:

It sound like you had the golf geeks perfect scenario. I'm glad you got the opportunity to do this and I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience in more detail. 

Other than the yips (think Roy McAvoy on the range, asking "who hit that shot?? Who did that?" and you'll know exactly what was happening), it was pretty dreamy.  I can't recommend it enough.

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

17 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Think you’ll hold off, wait to get to the weight ya want and maybe go back? 
blasphemous words on this site I know,,,,hold off

Blasphemy!

I dug further into the data last night. After looking back on both the standard and Triple Diamond models, my numbers with the Triple Diamond were actually better to my eyes. My concern about spin and height with the standard Paradym were re-validated after looking at landing angle and also removing a few outliers where my spin was low enough to drag the average down a bit.

I also feel that the Triple Diamond gives me a little more versatility in golf ball choice and builds in some flexibility for any speed that comes back after my cut. I think with the weights switched around I'll be at a very comfortable level of spin at 9.5, or I can play at the stamped 10.5 degrees with the weight forward. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On 1/22/2023 at 12:50 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Haven't tried the PX Rifle before, but the Nippon is one of my all time favourites. I am sure either one will be good for you! 

What made you look at those irons vs some of the other new offerings that are out? Or what made those stand out vs the others?

I've been playing for MANY years and have tried a BUNCH of different iron sets. I've been playing Callaways since the late 1990s/early 2000s (and apparently have somewhat of a Callaway bias🤣). I didn't think I was going to be getting a new set, but these are the best I've tried for a long time (although the new Mizunos gave them a REALLY close run for the money). I tried TM, Cobra, Titleist, Mizuno. The design, weight and head size are very appealing to me. They're incredibly accurate, workable either way (for me a fade is easier than a draw, but these made a draw really easy). You can readily flight them up/down. They're so smooth, feel and sound great. Mishits caused me minimal loss of distance or dispersion. But in the end, the Paradyms just suits.

I obviously like the Modus shafts but both shafts had GREAT distance, spin and descent numbers (Spin was usually in the 4000-4800 range and descent was usually between 38*-47* with a 7 iron). I've got a borderline smooth/fast transition. The PX Rifle seemed a little bit stiffer in the mid-section to tip and better equipped to handle the faster/more aggressive transition. The Modus was great at the moderate to quicker/smoother transitions. I think that a blind test would be difficult either way.

Sorry I got so long winded- but I hope this helps.

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

I've been mulling over stepping back into something a bit more forgiving iron wise.  The instant impact of the 2021 0211 Driver's forgiveness is a big driving factor.  I've found myself asking what would my scores look like if I could trust my irons to perform like that driver (everywhere on that face is baby fade city for me).  I've been looking into the previous gen ZX5 which I was fit into but couldn't afford 18 months ago.  I popped into Roger Dunn today and for whatever reason it was a ghost town.  They had the previous gen ZX5's, a used set of 2018 Z585's, and the new ZX5 MKII's.  Handily enough all three sets were in Modus 120.     I spent about an hour taking full advantage of the empty bays and hitting all three sets.  I spent more time with the GI/PD versions and came up with a couple observations.  The feel on the MkII's is much better than the OGZx5.  Not necessarily a better flight but its a much more pleasant feel on a good strike.  The big surprise, I hit the 585's the most consistently.  Though through all three there's not a ton between them for me.  I brought in some other manufacturers to test against and I hit the Srixons (even the player sets) better than I do anything else.  Who knows why, but I find myself thinking I might be pulling the trigger on a new set of either the OG ZX5's or, if I can find one, a mint set of the 585s.  

If anyone's curious I did not find there to be too much between the three in regards to Launch, spin, and ball speed.  If I'd spent more time actually looking at the Data rather than hitting I probably could have found some differentiation but there isn't a lot between them which I think is pretty cool.  They've found a solid formula and aren't altering it a bunch from generation to generation.

Edited by Syks7

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

43 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

If anyone's curious I did not find there to be too much between the three in regards to Launch, spin, and ball speed.  If I'd spent more time actually looking at the Data rather than hitting I probably could have found some differentiation but there isn't a lot between them which I think is pretty cool.  They've found a solid formula and aren't altering it a bunch from generation to generation.

I've been hearing incredible things about the lineup since (at least) the 585s, so it makes sense there's not a whole lot of change - they've got something amazing. I hit and loved the Mark II's but in  the market for something on the less-expensive side. Time will tell if I can avoid the temptation 😉

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

On 1/13/2023 at 5:15 PM, flaridaMarlin said:

I've been using the Sun Mountain 2.5 golf bag for the past few months and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It's lightweight, easy to carry and has a sleek design that makes it stand out on the course. The straps are comfortable and well-padded, which makes it easy to carry even when it's fully loaded with clubs and accessories.

One of the things I love most about this bag is the ample storage space it provides. It has multiple pockets that are perfect for keeping all my golfing essentials organized. I no longer have to fumble around looking for a tee or a ball, everything is right there in its designated pocket. The stand system is reliable and keeps the bag upright when not being carried, it is also very easy to access the clubs, which saves a lot of time when you are on the course.

Overall, I highly recommend the Sun Mountain 2.5 golf bag to any golfer looking for a high-quality and functional bag. It is durable and well-designed, and it has made my golfing experience much more enjoyable. I've received many compliments on the bag from my golfing buddies, and I'm very proud of my purchase.

I’ll second this. I have been using a 2.5 for the past two years. 
I won a 2.5 14 way last summer in a scramble and although I’ve always preferred a 14 way, I just can’t bring myself to take this one out of the box and move on from my 4 way 2.5.
It’s such a great golf bag. As you said, comfortable, light and fully functional.

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

@GolfSpy_SAM- I noticed that you play the Nippon Modus Tour 105s. They're one of the 2 shafts I'm trying to decide between for my Paradym irons. Would you give me a brief idea of what you like/dislike about them? They're going up against the PX Rifle 105 Tour Flighted. I appreciate any info that you can share with me. I currently carry my 7I about 165-170

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

3 minutes ago, Merlin1313 said:

@GolfSpy_SAM- I noticed that you play the Nippon Modus Tour 105s. They're one of the 2 shafts I'm trying to decide between for my Paradym irons. Would you give me a brief idea of what you like/dislike about them? They're going up against the PX Rifle 105 Tour Flighted. I appreciate any info that you can share with me. I currently carry my 7I about 165-170

Hey Hey! I really don't have any complaints about the Modus 105s, honestly.  In my recent fit, we hit the 105s and also the Project X IOs, and the feel of those was just better all around for me - I really liked the slightly softer flex (it's a 5.5 (R+ is the Project X designation)) vs the Stiff of the 105s, but I wouldn't say it was hands-down better or worse in any real way.  I know the 105s have a lot of love around these parts - @GolfSpy_APH I'm pretty sure is a big fan, as well. 

For me, the differences were slight, but I liked the ball-flight with the IOs better than my current Modus 105s.  Again, it was subtle.  I don't have any experience with the "Tour Flighted", but considering how much I liked the IOs, and depending on what kind of flight you're looking for, you might not go wrong in either direction.  

Here's a quote I found over at Golfworks.com (which is a GREAT site when it comes to info, btw), when I was researching the idea of building the clubs myself (sourcing the shafts from them and possibly getting a set of heads from Takomo):

Q: What other shafts that have the same specs as the 5.5 XO that are comparable or better

A:  When you get into the 105 gram weight range of the PX IO 5.5 (TT0168) there are not many options for matching shafts. The Dynamic Gold 105 (TT0122) which is designed for a low/mid trajectory compared to the IO 5.5 which is designed for a mid/high trajectory. The DG 105 would be stiller in the tip section compared to the IO 5.5. The new KBS Tour Lite in the S flex weights 100 grams and is also designed for a mid/high trajectory. The Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105 (NP0016) which is designed for a mid trajectory. It is also a little stiffer tip shaft compared to the IO 5.5 but not as tip stiff as the DG 105.

Hope this helps!

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_SAM said:

Hey Hey! I really don't have any complaints about the Modus 105s, honestly.  In my recent fit, we hit the 105s and also the Project X IOs, and the feel of those was just better all around for me - I really liked the slightly softer flex (it's a 5.5 (R+ is the Project X designation)) vs the Stiff of the 105s, but I wouldn't say it was hands-down better or worse in any real way.  I know the 105s have a lot of love around these parts - @GolfSpy_APH I'm pretty sure is a big fan, as well. 

For me, the differences were slight, but I liked the ball-flight with the IOs better than my current Modus 105s.  Again, it was subtle.  I don't have any experience with the "Tour Flighted", but considering how much I liked the IOs, and depending on what kind of flight you're looking for, you might not go wrong in either direction.  

Here's a quote I found over at Golfworks.com (which is a GREAT site when it comes to info, btw), when I was researching the idea of building the clubs myself (sourcing the shafts from them and possibly getting a set of heads from Takomo):

Q: What other shafts that have the same specs as the 5.5 XO that are comparable or better

A:  When you get into the 105 gram weight range of the PX IO 5.5 (TT0168) there are not many options for matching shafts. The Dynamic Gold 105 (TT0122) which is designed for a low/mid trajectory compared to the IO 5.5 which is designed for a mid/high trajectory. The DG 105 would be stiller in the tip section compared to the IO 5.5. The new KBS Tour Lite in the S flex weights 100 grams and is also designed for a mid/high trajectory. The Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105 (NP0016) which is designed for a mid trajectory. It is also a little stiffer tip shaft compared to the IO 5.5 but not as tip stiff as the DG 105.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info- it's greatly appreciated. I did notice that (to me) the PXs were a little bit stiffer but they're both great- might have to go back a little bit closer to order time and try them both again. I probably spend more time on Golfworks than I should, but they do have a lot of great info. My fitter said that my numbers were great with either of the 2 (to the point where he was thinking about re-evaluating his shafts), just comes down to feel. 

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

@GolfSpy_APH- @GolfSpy_SAM informed me that you also play the Nippon Modus Tour 105s. They're one of the 2 shafts I'm trying to decide between for my Paradym irons. Would you give me a brief idea of what you like/dislike about them? They're going up against the PX Rifle 105 Tour Flighted. I appreciate any info that you can share with me. I currently carry my 7I about 165-170

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

19 minutes ago, Merlin1313 said:

@GolfSpy_APH- @GolfSpy_SAM informed me that you also play the Nippon Modus Tour 105s. They're one of the 2 shafts I'm trying to decide between for my Paradym irons. Would you give me a brief idea of what you like/dislike about them? They're going up against the PX Rifle 105 Tour Flighted. I appreciate any info that you can share with me. I currently carry my 7I about 165-170

Nearly everything in the Nippon range I'm a fan of. 

The 105 are a great lighter weight/feel shaft. Some will say they play or feel a little soft to flex so depending on your swing going to an X  isn't out of the question. 

They are just a great shaft for feel, performance and consistency. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

On 1/26/2023 at 2:26 AM, GolfSpy_SAM said:

WARNING: The following post is VERY long, and pretty silly, but 100% intended to entertain. If you do not like long posts, just skip it 😜 (TLDR version: I had an amazing time at TrueSpec, you should probably go if you get the chance.)

Alright, so let's talk about this True Spec fitting in full. I think I've digested the experience at this point enough to feel like I've learned what I needed to in order to write about it.  (I have a habit of enthusing IMMEDIATELY after most experiences, and then on reflection, feel like I might have over-done it, so I wanted to give this at least a few days to really settle in)

Okay, so let's start with the facilities.  I had my appointment in the Beverly Hills (fancy, I know - but it might make you less impressed to know I rolled up in my wife's 2010 Blue Corolla...lol) True Spec, located directly next to Nieman Marcus' Men's Shop, in case you're interested in a pair of genuinely insane-looking shoes that only cost 

Crazy Sneaks.png

I feel like those were worth pausing this diatribe to let you marvel. Perhaps you’ve wondered what it would feel like to wear tires?  Or maybe you’re interested in someone’s dirty sneakers for the price of a Stealth 2? No matter what, they. have. It.  (As an aside, they actually do have some good-looking golf shoes…which gets us back to the point at hand)

Okay, so continuing on.  My appointment was at the crack of 10, so after dropping the kids off at school, I threw my clubs into the Blueberry and headed the hour-ish south from my place to the land of Brandon, Brenda, Dylan and Kelly (we shall not speak of Donna in this place, for this is a safe space).  I found a VERY fancy, overpriced sandwich shop and got some fuel in me before the estimated 4-hour fitting.

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 8.51.29 PM.png

I opened the doors right at 10, and was greeted by my fitter, Michael, poking his head around the corner and asking, “Matt?”  I wiped the excess cheese from my beard, and said hello, and followed him to the main bay at the front of the store, past the wall-o-shafts and the drawers filled with all the goods.  

Not Fitter.png

Please note I figured I’d have plenty of time to take this picture, and then completely forgot, so this is courtesy of TrueSpec’s website.  I’m a terrible reporter. That’s not me on the right, nor is that my fitter on the left. 

IMG_3857.jpg
This, however, is absolutely me…

Matt, you’ve come long way here in the short time since we were chosen as testers for the LAB putters last year! I didn’t know about your “Spy promotion” until I saw this post, and the powers that be couldn’t have made a better choice. 
For those of you who aren’t familiar with this guy, besides the obvious outgoing personality and writing skills, Matt is one of the nicest people and upbeat people on the site. Although we were both first time testers here, he had many more computer type skills than I, and he was quick to reach out and offer me any help I might need.

We had a great group of people in that test, but imo both our mod Tony and Matt were invaluable to me. Tony for his patience and guidance, and Matt for just being who he is!

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

9 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

Matt, you’ve come long way here in the short time since we were chosen as testers for the LAB putters last year! I didn’t know about your “Spy promotion” until I saw this post, and the powers that be couldn’t have made a better choice. 
For those of you who aren’t familiar with this guy, besides the obvious outgoing personality and writing skills, Matt is one of the nicest people on the site. Although we were both first time testers here, he had many more computer type skills than I, and he was quick to reach out and offer me any help I might need.

We had a great group of people in that test, but imo both Tony and Matt were invaluable to me. Tony for his patience and guidance, and Matt for just being who he is!

Gah! What an awesome message - thanks, man! So happy to be a part of this community, and to help in any way I can.  Here's to me being able to visit family back in NY/CT and arranging a Spy Meetup! 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

30 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

For those of you who aren’t familiar with this guy, besides the obvious outgoing personality and writing skills, Matt is one of the nicest people and upbeat people on the site. Although we were both first time testers here, he had many more computer type skills than I, and he was quick to reach out and offer me any help I might need.

We had a great group of people in that test, but imo both our mod Tony and Matt were invaluable to me. Tony for his patience and guidance, and Matt for just being who he is!

Shout out to @DriverBreaker

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I hit a couple drivers yesterday.  The Titleist TSR3 and Callaway Paradym and Paradym Triple Diamond.

I have to say I was blown away by the look and feel of the TSR3.  It was the winner for me on that day.  Part of it could have been shaft a bit.  I currently use the Ventus TR blue and I was hitting a Black Ventus with the TSR, but was hitting the Kalil with Callaway.  Very good shaft as well, but I am familiar with the feels of the ventus line and was swinging a bit faster with the TSR/ventus combo.

The standard paradym seemed to sit much too closed for my eyes.  I really thought the Callaway would be going in the bag this year, but the TSR3 was just too good.  The triple diamond was also very good, but just not quite as forgiving and a little less ball speed and distance.  I also like that I can move the weight around side to side with the TSR3 as this helps me get the club closed a bit easier when I have the weight in the heel.  

I would say that the Paradym and the TSR3 were the closest when it came to mis hits and forgiveness.  The triple diamond was definitely still better than my current Mavrik SZ in that department, but I can certainly notice a bit more of a punch with the new drivers.  I don't think they will be adding much to my good hits, but the off center hits are definitely looking tighter and straighter.

Indoors and on a simulator is so much different than real golf, so hopefully when I was seeing will translate to the course when I do make the plunge.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Ok- so this doesn't really fit in to the "What Equipment Have I Tested " category- but I recently acquired a set of Ben Hogan Apex Irons 3-"Equalizer". The wedge doesn't fit the rest of the clubs but its really close. They still have the original grips (Equalizer has a leather grip). They're what I consider to be "Fair" condition for their age and they're probably goin up for sale as I'm not that much of a collector. I'm trying to decide if it would be better to regrip them( the current grips are WELL worn/ cracked etc.) or leave the grips "as is" or offer the regripping as an option after I cheer them up. Any input would be greatly appreciated

WHOG #5

Chrome Soft X 

Tested... well hit 5-10 shots with each so demoed may be a better term some irons today. 

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged
Thoughts - The club just felt heavy to me. I did have the Nippon 115 shaft in it vs the 105 in the others, but it wasn't only the club itself but the head just felt heavy. Ball speeds were fine, distance and spin was solid, but I truly really struggled finding the middle with much consistency. I really wanted to like this club... almost too much? However it just didn't jive with me. Maybe if I do a real fit I will go try a few different shafts and see how much of a difference that makes. 

Ping i525
Thoughts - As soon as this was put in my hand I felt a massive difference. It felt ... like home... weight was way more in line with what I am comfortable with and had significantly better performance immediately. Balls speeds reached up to 120 and 170 with a 7 iron for for distance. I really really liked this club. Spin rates were solid being low 5000s and had a decent angle 46-48 degrees so no worries in stopping power. 

Ping i230
Thoughts - Felt a bit heavier, but more in line with what I am use to. Solid shots were definitely a well different feel from the i525. Still strong and powerful with plenty of pop, but also just solid. Not super soft and definitely an improvement on the i210. Numbers were a bit shorter being 165 ish with similar height. Ball speeds were don from the i525 by about 4-6 mph in general... but the spin rates were through the roof! 6500 plus on all strikes. 

End thoughts - I guess I am just a ping guy? I loved the look of both the i525 and i230. They look so freaking good and the main difference being a slightly higher toe sections in the i525. Top lines are small, offset doesn't have much in it and if I was to go ahead and make a purchase today I would really be torn. My initial thought is to go i230 and make them a degree or two strong to knock the spin down a bit and gain that distance... its a real thinker!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

47 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Tested... well hit 5-10 shots with each so demoed may be a better term some irons today. 

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged
Thoughts - The club just felt heavy to me. I did have the Nippon 115 shaft in it vs the 105 in the others, but it wasn't only the club itself but the head just felt heavy. Ball speeds were fine, distance and spin was solid, but I truly really struggled finding the middle with much consistency. I really wanted to like this club... almost too much? However it just didn't jive with me. Maybe if I do a real fit I will go try a few different shafts and see how much of a difference that makes. 

Ping i525
Thoughts - As soon as this was put in my hand I felt a massive difference. It felt ... like home... weight was way more in line with what I am comfortable with and had significantly better performance immediately. Balls speeds reached up to 120 and 170 with a 7 iron for for distance. I really really liked this club. Spin rates were solid being low 5000s and had a decent angle 46-48 degrees so no worries in stopping power. 

Ping i230
Thoughts - Felt a bit heavier, but more in line with what I am use to. Solid shots were definitely a well different feel from the i525. Still strong and powerful with plenty of pop, but also just solid. Not super soft and definitely an improvement on the i210. Numbers were a bit shorter being 165 ish with similar height. Ball speeds were don from the i525 by about 4-6 mph in general... but the spin rates were through the roof! 6500 plus on all strikes. 

End thoughts - I guess I am just a ping guy? I loved the look of both the i525 and i230. They look so freaking good and the main difference being a slightly higher toe sections in the i525. Top lines are small, offset doesn't have much in it and if I was to go ahead and make a purchase today I would really be torn. My initial thought is to go i230 and make them a degree or two strong to knock the spin down a bit and gain that distance... its a real thinker!

Curious if you have tried Titliest T200?  If so, how does it compare to i525s and others?

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour