TESTERS WANTED! ×

What Equipment Have You Tested?

GolfSpy_APH

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

https://www.independentgolfreviews.com/ping-g-irons/

Per this article it would be yellow and 61.88 is typically a stock lie angle from Ping

I've never heard of yellow 💛 on the Ping chart? So stock lie means std = black 🖤 🤔

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

https://www.independentgolfreviews.com/ping-g-irons/

Per this article it would be yellow and 61.88 is typically a stock lie angle from Ping

Yup!

1 hour ago, Bang60 said:

I've never heard of yellow 💛 on the Ping chart? So stock lie means std = black 🖤 🤔

Ping has changed their color code a few times. If you are looking at the current version it will be different than the old. 

Here is the newer one. 
image.png

This was the previous version (tag someone that needed Maroon!)

image.png

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Years ago I got to blind test golf balls from TeamTitleist. It was one of their white box prerelease models so I never actually knew what ball it was but I suspect it was a Pro V1. This was around 10 years ago now but I remember it being quite a bit longer than the current retail offering of the time. It still spun on approach shots so I don't think it was one of their distance models.

*shrugs* 

Driver: TSR3 9*

3w: TS3 15*

2i: Mizuno MP67

3i-9i: Miura 1957 Baby Blades

Wedges: Vokey 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: Ping Anser 4 Milled (2011?)

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Yup!

Ping has changed their color code a few times. If you are looking at the current version it will be different than the old. 

Here is the newer one. 
image.png

This was the previous version (tag someone that needed Maroon!)

image.png

Appreciate your feedback, hmmm I guess I should've checked the chart. 😧 Thanks..

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Well, this is kind of a twofold post, both for “What Equipment Have You Tested?” and the “What Have You Bought Lately?” topics.

As I mentioned earlier, I made an appointment for a Titleist Fitting which took place on Saturday, October 28, 2022. Fitting was at a course very close to my house, the fitter was Brett Michie and the weather was far from perfect, but golf supposedly is played in all sorts of elements.

On a cloudy and damp 48 degree morning, I did dress in layers, and due to not many signing up for this fitting location, we had much more time than usual to complete this. We first discussed my game, equipment I had, and what I liked and didn’t like about my game and equipment.

I did warm-up, hitting a few wedges and then 7 irons, and then he proceeded to get a “baseline” using Trackman for my irons. His initial thoughts were I am a typical high launch and maybe a touch too much height and spin with my irons. Current set-up for me is Mizuno Pro 223 irons with Nippon Modus 105S shafts, standard length and “standard” Mizuno lie angles.

He then handed me a T100 7 iron, with the exact same shaft I currently play, and it was interesting that the distance was about 3-5 yards short, but the spin rate also increased over the Mizuno head.

We then started experimenting with different shafts and model heads, but we ended up with the t150 head to reduce the spin, keep the proper launch and descent angles and the shafts he tried all were heavier than my current model, but similar in weight to what I have previously played.

The T150’s with a 2 degree flat lie angle from Titleist “standard” and a Project X LZ shaft ended up being the best combination for launch, spin, and CONSISTENT distance and ideal landing angle for me.

We then moved through the different iron heads set-up the same to get a 5 mph difference in ball speed as we moved up and down through the set.

It was interesting that when I got to the 4 iron head, ball speed only went up 3 mph from the 5 iron, so he had me hit a T200 head in the 4 iron to get the correct gapping.

We took a little break, I did hit a lot of balls, and Brett then suggested that he would see how my Titleist driver and fairway wood fit me, as he had a lot of time before his next appointment.

Knowing that I was fit into these previously, he had me hit a few shots with each and confirmed that my current set-up is the best for me at this time. Still was great for me to see swing speed right at 100 mph with my driver, especially at my current age.

He also took some time to do a quick ball fitting, and out of the Titleist line-up I would fit into the Pro V1, due to keep launch and height under control, and no need for additional spin as I create enough.

So, at the end of the day, I would be fit into a T200 4 iron, and T150 5 – Gap with Project X LZ shafts, standard length, 2 degrees flat lie, standard lofts.

This is my take or opinion on these shafts for my game at this time. I love the feel of the shaft through impact.

I get a little lower flight and a lot more control. My ability to work the ball is improved. My dispersion is tighter. I feel that I can trust the shaft to deliver the head consistently to shape my ball flight.

Clubs will be built and with a shipping date of November 3, 2023, so possibly enough time to get a round or two in with them yet this outdoor season.

For those who may have an interest, my swing speed with a 7 iron was 79+ to 80+ with a Smash Factor of 1.39 with the 7 iron, which is equivalent to the majority of LPGA players.

At 69+ years young, those are numbers I will gladly accept.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

12 hours ago, Gus McSpanky said:

Unfortunately never picked for anything. 

not sure what you mean picked for anything?   Don't you ever try new equipment to see if it is better than your current equipment?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

In terms of a formal tester (meaning I volunteered and was selected), the answer is never. Have never been a formal tester. That said, my workshop has a continuously growing stock of clubs that I've picked up over the years to "test" to see if the club was better than whatever was currently in the bag. Same is true for a variety of golf parts/pieces. Shafts, grips, gloves, shoes, divot tools, ball markers, I could go on. Haha.

Brian

Edited by BLD7

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | T2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: PXG 0317 22* | Standard hosel setting | Hand Crafted Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

47 minutes ago, BLD7 said:

In terms of a formal tester (meaning I volunteered and was selected), the answer is never. Have never been a formal tester. That said, my workshop has a continuously growing stock of clubs that I've picked up over the years to "test" to see if the club was better than whatever was curre try in the bag. Same is true for a variety of golf parts/pieces. Shafts, grips, gloves, shoes, divot tools, ball markers, I could go on. Haha.

Brian

Absolutely do that too, I need to focus on a clearance of clubs I'm keeping "just in case" one day I will use them 🤔 

10 hours ago, BLD7 said:

In terms of a formal tester (meaning I volunteered and was selected), the answer is never. Have never been a formal tester. That said, my workshop has a continuously growing stock of clubs that I've picked up over the years to "test" to see if the club was better than whatever was currently in the bag. Same is true for a variety of golf parts/pieces. Shafts, grips, gloves, shoes, divot tools, ball markers, I could go on. Haha.

Brian

The later is what this thread is about.  What have you tried, what worked, what didn’t.    Starting that interaction will get you going and active on the forum and possibly get you selected for a forum test…since your forum activity is one of the selection criteria. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

The later is what this thread is about.  What have you tried, what worked, what didn’t.    Starting that interaction will get you going and active on the forum and possibly get you selected for a forum test…since your forum activity is one of the selection criteria. 

Being that the things I have tried are many and varied over the years, I'll briefly talk about my most recent adventure. 

Some background: For many years I played Mizuno irons exclusively, and Ping drivers exclusively. As far as fairway metals and hybrids, I played what gave the best results for gapping. Those club decisions were attributed to my arbitrary choices. A couple seasons ago I moved to Titleist irons and as you can see in my signature Titleist equipment is in the bag now sans the PXG hybrid. 

Recently (early this 2023 season), I grabbed a Titleist TSi3 hybrid to see about filling the gap between my 5 iron and 3 wood (which would eliminate the 22* PXG hybrid). In testing the Tsi3 19 degree I simply did not hit it well - and it was inconsistent for me. The club resulted in a big hook miss for me and the distance was too close to the existing hybrid in yardage to warrant a change. 

Thoughts: The Titleist TSi3 19* looked 'closed' to my eye at address compared to what I'm used to - in every combination of hosel settings. My preferred shot shape is a slight fade and this club could not produce that for me unless I altered my stance/swing significantly, which either resulted in a worse hook, or a big banana slice. I gave the club a fair amount of range work and game time to see if I could eliminate lack of familiarity as a contributing factor however this club simply did not work out for me. From an aesthetic perspective, the clubs glossy crown looks good and is what you'd expect from Titleist as that is their current look. The shape of the hybrid is compact however the club seemed too upright to me even in the flat setting.

Decision: The PXG 22* is still in the bag currently. And to help fill the gap between the hybrid and the 14* 3-wood, I tried a Titleist TSR2 18* 5-wood which covers the yardage gap and has been surprisingly consistent in terms of dispersion. 

Brian

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | T2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 7X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: PXG 0317 22* | Standard hosel setting | Hand Crafted Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

I decided to experiment with a "Ping Eye2 3 iron 21.5deg's loft black dot", after looking at a few utube video comparison of the Eye2 irons and the latest ping irons. Obviously Eye2 can't compete with distance with a new Ping iron but with Dispersion it did very well, if I can get get good Dispersion then I will buy a set in particular the short irons as I'm hoping my Mizuno fli hi hybrid long iron replacement will fix the long iron issues I have 😳

I bought 3 iron black 🖤 dot so I can change the Lie angle and maybe the loft if I need to for gapping, 21.5 loft is 5irons loft these days so experiments will follow as I've a number of different shafts I can try. Hoping I can start playing again soon and when I do I'll post photos lol ☺️

IMG_20231031_084140.jpg

On 10/27/2023 at 2:04 PM, Andrew R said:

Anyone know if the driver swing speed breakdown is going to be posted this year? I’m about to get fitted for a new driver and was looking forward to that as my roadmap. 

I asked when I was at HQ tonight and there probably won't be a breakdown by speed posted. 

In a previous "What have you bought, lately" thread, I mentioned picking up a Taylormade Stealth+ Rocket 3w that I wanted to try out as a driver replacement. Well, I finally got it out on the course yesterday.

I won't bore you with all the ins and outs of the round, but I'll simply say that my second hole with the "2w" I hit it 277yds (yes, about 30 was rollout). Never hit a driver on course that long before, even with rollout. I spin my driver far too much for that (I think it's heel strike issues now) which is why my past 3w's have always rivaled my past drivers for distance. Which is why I concluded that perhaps a strong 3w might be better for me than driver at this point. At the moment, that looks to be a good call.

My tee shots got shorter as the round went on as I got a bit tired, but over the 14 tee shots, I averaged 8 yards longer than the previous 43 drives with my Callaway Rogue ST Max LS including the max drive being 12 yards longer. I hit the fairway 50% with the 2w and 40% with the driver. Admittedly, the sample sizes are a bit skewed at this point to make any deep conclusions. But I know I need to replace the standard grip with my matching midsize MCC+4 grip. That smaller grip was killing me.

I can also vary the flight height a bit easier with the 2w than the driver, just with a small tee height adjustment. For some reason even lowering the tee with driver it still climbs more than I'd prefer.

Anyway, I felt far more comfortable with the 2w than driver and I'll continue to use it into next season. I'll have a few full bag fittings next spring as the big five-o rolls around, so perhaps I'll find a driver that my swing won't hate.

image.png.4b8fe4e2780113da7173f73c8c0d04fe.png

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

21 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

In a previous "What have you bought, lately" thread, I mentioned picking up a Taylormade Stealth+ Rocket 3w that I wanted to try out as a driver replacement. Well, I finally got it out on the course yesterday.

I won't bore you with all the ins and outs of the round, but I'll simply say that my second hole with the "2w" I hit it 277yds (yes, about 30 was rollout). Never hit a driver on course that long before, even with rollout. I spin my driver far too much for that (I think it's heel strike issues now) which is why my past 3w's have always rivaled my past drivers for distance. Which is why I concluded that perhaps a strong 3w might be better for me than driver at this point. At the moment, that looks to be a good call.

My tee shots got shorter as the round went on as I got a bit tired, but over the 14 tee shots, I averaged 8 yards longer than the previous 43 drives with my Callaway Rogue ST Max LS including the max drive being 12 yards longer. I hit the fairway 50% with the 2w and 40% with the driver. Admittedly, the sample sizes are a bit skewed at this point to make any deep conclusions. But I know I need to replace the standard grip with my matching midsize MCC+4 grip. That smaller grip was killing me.

I can also vary the flight height a bit easier with the 2w than the driver, just with a small tee height adjustment. For some reason even lowering the tee with driver it still climbs more than I'd prefer.

Anyway, I felt far more comfortable with the 2w than driver and I'll continue to use it into next season. I'll have a few full bag fittings next spring as the big five-o rolls around, so perhaps I'll find a driver that my swing won't hate.

Maybe try the driver with a roughly 3 wood length shaft . I have my Ping G430 Maxx cut down to 44.5 roughly down from stock 45 3/4 and by launch monitor and on the course I hit it farther. Part is hitting it on or near the sweet spot of the club face a LOT more often and the other is my consistency took such a positive turn instead of trying to steer the club I can really go after it with my driver.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

On 11/7/2023 at 10:25 AM, Shrek74 said:

I'm going to adjust the grip to make the bottom half as big as the top so I can grip lower and find my sweet spot before I cut the shaft 😞

Thought I would go and try out some 2 irons yesterday as I have some credit for a box store and nothing I really need. Could not get a ball past 250 yards and even those weren't struck well. I used to have a Ping I could stretch to 270 on a really good day. Now, If I hit my 4 iron perfectly, a rare occasion I freely admit, it goes about 240. I carry a 4i (220), 3h (240), 4w (260), and driver for the top of my bag. So I didn't abandon the 2i idea totally but I did go home and just build one out of parts I had rather than dropping $250 on a newer one. Local rules in AZ allow you to carry a 15th desert club, so I will stick it in my bag as a desert and "Oh, look, sometimes I can hit a decent stinger" club. Dang, but clubs are expensive for new stuff. 

Edited by chris_

1 hour ago, chris_ said:

Thought I would go and try out some 2 irons yesterday as I have some credit for a box store and nothing I really need. Could not get a ball past 250 yards and even those weren't struck well. I used to have a Ping I could stretch to 270 on a really good day. Now, If I hit my 4 iron perfectly, a rare occasion I freely admit, it goes about 240. I carry a 4i (220), 3h (240), 4w (260), and driver for the top of my bag. So I didn't abandon the 2i idea totally but I did go home and just build one out of parts I had rather than dropping $250 on a newer one. Local rules in AZ allow you to carry a 15th desert club, so I will stick it in my bag as a desert and "Oh, look, sometimes I can hit a decent stinger" club. Dang, but clubs are expensive for new stuff. 

I just ordered one from Sub70.  Take a look at their stuff. Pick shaft and grip and color for well under $200

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

21 hours ago, jdparker said:

I just ordered one from Sub70.  Take a look at their stuff. Pick shaft and grip and color for well under $200

Not a bad idea. I have heard good things. I built a Titleist DCI 762 head I had in my shop at 19* and its barely moving. The local PGA has a newer Ping Icrossover for 159. I may grab that. 

17 minutes ago, chris_ said:

Not a bad idea. I have heard good things. I built a Titleist DCI 762 head I had in my shop at 19* and its barely moving. The local PGA has a newer Ping Icrossover for 159. I may grab that. 

Nice. Yeah I liked that I could customize to my specs for a great price.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

28 minutes ago, jdparker said:

Nice. Yeah I liked that I could customize to my specs for a great price.  

Yeah I've got a bending device so 💕 being able to change Lie or loft to suit me, no need to take lessons that my Old body can't retain 😆 for more than a day. But man if you change Lie to suit your swing that's FOREVER baby 😉

• 2 weeks later...

image.png

I have started to see a lot of these around and they are really interesting to me. Nice to see HQ do a full review on one!
https://mygolfspy.com/we-tried-it/puttr-smart-putting-green-review/

https://www.puttr.co/ - For more information about the product itself!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

3 minutes ago, bear11 said:

None i keep putting name had no luck

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

2 minutes ago, bear11 said:

None i keep putting name had no luck

If you're looking to become a forum tester there's a good guide here to look over.

There's things like having a profile picture and being active in the forum that can really help your chances to be chosen. 

9 minutes ago, Owengeorge13 said:

Is there a thread about “equipment you want to test”?  I see a thread for “equipment you are thinking about.”

I'd say to put it in the what are you thinking about thread since you are thinking about trying something.