Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Club Championship Flight / Format Setup...

Shapotomous

I am curious how the club championships are set up at the various clubs of the posters here. 

A local club here runs theirs as a mixed tee event flighted by handicap.  So while I would play in a flight based on my handicap I could be playing from a different tee than other players in the same flight.  

To me this doesn't seem right and all players in a flight should play from the same tees but maybe I have an antiquated way of viewing the tee boxes and handicap system.  

They run a separate Sr. Club Championship so the Sr. tee players do have an event to determine the best player as well.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Our champ flight plays the tips, Super sr flight plays a combo setup.  Our Sr flight plays within their normal flight from the tee's that flight normally plays from, but their score counts for both and they could win both.  They also have the option to play from one tee box up, but then their score only counts towards the sr flight.

Otherwise flights 1-4 all play from the same tees.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

9 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I am curious how the club championships are set up at the various clubs of the posters here. 

A local club here runs theirs as a mixed tee event flighted by handicap.  So while I would play in a flight based on my handicap I could be playing from a different tee than other players in the same flight.  

To me this doesn't seem right and all players in a flight should play from the same tees but maybe I have an antiquated way of viewing the tee boxes and handicap system.  

They run a separate Sr. Club Championship so the Sr. tee players do have an event to determine the best player as well.  

My local club used to do flighted championship broken up by handicaps. Unfortunately that changed last year, where they went to everyone plays from the tips for the club championship. Participation was cut by 75%. Not many guys can play from 7200 yards with a slope greater than 140.  The senior event is played from the whites which the older guys have no problem with. Playing from the tips with everyone playing scratch is a killer. I am good but not long enough off the tee to stay competitive with the bombers. It wouldn’t be fun to have to hit ping irons and hybrids into more than a few greens, plus a 240 yard par 3😱

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

My club is flighted, with the championship flight playing from the tips.  The pairings are within the flights, and the club champion can only come from the championship flight, obviously.  My Club Championship is next month.. and I am still debating whether or not to play in my "handicap" flight or in the Championship Flight.  I play from the "back" tees normally which is ~6500 yards.  The Championship Tees are setup at ~6950.  I'm know I can't keep up with the long hitters regardless. giving them a 450 yard advantage on me would be exponential to my disadvantage.  My woods would have to be on 🔥!  And I would be scrambling my A$$ off.  Not to mention... the championship flight plays 36 holes on Saturday and 18 on Sunday (opposed to a total of 36 holes in the flighted tourney).  A lot to take on... but still considering it 🙂

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

On 8/14/2022 at 7:33 AM, Shapotomous said:

Is it March play or stroke play and if stroke play is it based on hdcp?

The new handicap rules allow for the difference between tees.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Championship flight is from back tees played at scratch and rotates every year from match to stroke play. If we get more than 16 in match play years there is a qualifying round to set seeds. 

All other flights are based on handicaps but each flight plays the same tees. 

Really interesting that yours has different tees within the same flight. Not sure I have ever seen that before. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."