Mizuno JPX 923

Golfspy_TCB

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, I think all those assumptions are pretty spot on.  I'm going back and forth with our rep to set up a time to meet.  Was supposed to be last week but he had to cancel.   Also waiting on the heads for our fitting cart but no estimated arrival on those yet.

Mizuno did a chart last year and I assume they will with the new ones, showing each head on a graph from say least forgiving on the far left to most forgiving on the far right with both the Pro and JPX lines accounted for.   I think it pretty much falls in line with what you mentoned above on offset specs and such.

This is fascinating to me - I didn't realize that the two lines had differing offsets.  So the 223 would be for someone who likes as little offset as possible, while the JPX Tour/Pro would have slightly more?  Is that catering to two different caliber players, or is it just preferential?  As my swing has gotten more mechanically sound and my contact gets better, I'm noticing more and more the offset in my clubs (not BAD for me, per se, but definitely noticeable), and I'm curious if the "JPX" line, in general, caters more to a specific player than the MP line does.

In my fitting, I hit the 919 Hot Metal, and it was hands-down the best-feeling club I hit in that fitting, but it was just slightly out of my budget at the time, so ended up with the Sim Max heads, which have done great for me over the last two years.  

It's pretty nerdy that I'm fascinated by this nuance, isn't it? You can say yes - I can take it.  🙂

• Like 2

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees, EvenFlow Riptide CB 40g 4.0
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature (changed to midsize grips) 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

Here's the chart I was talking about, it's from 2020 I believe after the JPX21 line was released.  I think it will hold true to the current Mizumo Pro and JPX23 lineup as well.  With the addtion of the Hot Metal HL probably being slotted at the very top right after the Hot Metal.

For those who haven't followed the Mizuno naming convention going from MP to Mizuno Pro they would be

MP20 MB = Mizuno Pro 22

MP20 MMC = Mizuno Pro 223

MP20 HMB = Mizuno Pro 225

Mizuno Irons Handicap Chart Hot Sale, 56% OFF | www.playamazarron.com

• Like 7
  • Love 2

:titelist-small: TSR2 10.0 HZRDUS Red CB 6.0 

:titelist-small: TSiR2 10.0  Tensei Blue X ink 55g 

:titelist-small: TSR2 16.5 PX Evenflow 5.5 60 g 

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T200 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

1 hour ago, Samsonite said:

It's pretty nerdy that I'm fascinated by this nuance, isn't it? You can say yes - I can take it.  🙂

I think you have aptly described most of us here 🙂

Just to add a bit to @Golfspy_CG2 post above, there are a several factors that can provide the golfer forgiveness... including where the weight is positioned around the club head (lower weight distribution to help the ball get up - especially for slower swing speeds, and/or with less of a negative AoA).  Another of the methods to help add forgiveness is the offset.  You could argue that more offset is for higher handicap players, and lower offset for better players - and is true to a certain extent... but that isn't absolute.  Personal preference also plays a role.  But in general, more offset helps the golfer square the club face from open, so golfers with fade/slice or push tendency would find more offset helpful in straightening out the shot shape.  It also improves the launch by moving the club center of gravity back further... helping the ball get up in the air.  

I love the look of less offset personally, and I can better judge my club face "squareness" with less offset (or shape shots both directions easier)... which is why I love a blade.. (and don't get me started on the top line discussion ;)), and also why I chose my current gamers (they offered lower offset with a bit more GI aspects than a traditional blade or players club style).  Having said that,  I have also really enjoyed testing out some other higher offset irons recently - and more offset irons may find their way into my bag at some point (which is why I'm on this thread :)). 

Anyway, as a reference point, here is a run down of the current Mizuno Irons with the offset shown on the right most chart.  

image.png.103a4263c62900326f364dbfbbae1ae9.png

Now, let your nerdiness blossom 🙂

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Otto Phlex PLB 45 "L"
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • TaylorMade Stealth 5-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
  • Maxfli Tour / Titleist AVX

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, I think all those assumptions are pretty spot on.

One correction to my own statement I realized after pulling the screen capture above... The offset for the "tour" looks to sit right between the blade and everything else... which now makes sense when I think about it.  That "tour" model JPX my be the best players club in the bunch.  Man, I can't wait to see the 923 in my hand!  CHA here I come.

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Like 4
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid

Okay, so the good news is, according to Mizuno's charts above, I should be playing either the 223, 225 or JPX Forged. 

The bad news is that, according to Mizuno's charts above, I should be playing either the 223, 225 or JPX Forged. 

I'll be right back - gotta go list a kidney on ebay.

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

One correction to my own statement I realized after pulling the screen capture above... The offset for the "tour" looks to sit right between the blade and everything else... which now makes sense when I think about it.  That "tour" model JPX my be the best players club in the bunch.  Man, I can't wait to see the 923 in my hand!  CHA here I come.

Yeah, I wasn't going to nit pick, especially wihtout having all the data right in front of me, I figured that was the case. But that's great info onthe chart.  I think I have that one is in our MizunoFitters site somewhere as well. 

And good comment about usually for higher caps but not 100% absolute, I wish I could remember who it was but there is a tour player--current--who has made no secret about it, that he actually prefers a bit of offset in his irons.  For some reason I want to say it is Kevin Kisner, but I am probably completely wrong on that. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, I wasn't going to nit pick, especially wihtout having all the data right in front of me, I figured that was the case. But that's great info onthe chart.  I think I have that one is in our MizunoFitters site somewhere as well. 

And good comment about usually for higher caps but not 100% absolute, I wish I could remember who it was but there is a tour player--current--who has made no secret about it, that he actually prefers a bit of offset in his irons.  For some reason I want to say it is Kevin Kisner, but I am probably completely wrong on that. 

I know Adam Scott's one of one irons both from Titleist and now have more offset. That was common when he was younger to have more offset in blades is what he has said.

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review)
:callaway-small: Epic Speed 15°  Project X HZRDUS Black HAND-CRAFTED Wood Shaft - Spargo Golf Smoke iM10 60g  6.0 | :callaway-small: Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro  5-PW  :Fuji:  Pro Tour Spec 115i S
:Hogan: Equalizer 52°/56°  KBS Tour V 110 S | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

21 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

I think you have aptly described most of us here 🙂

Just to add a bit to @Golfspy_CG2 post above, there are a several factors that can provide the golfer forgiveness... including where the weight is positioned around the club head (lower weight distribution to help the ball get up - especially for slower swing speeds, and/or with less of a negative AoA).  Another of the methods to help add forgiveness is the offset.  You could argue that more offset is for higher handicap players, and lower offset for better players - and is true to a certain extent... but that isn't absolute.  Personal preference also plays a role.  But in general, more offset helps the golfer square the club face from open, so golfers with fade/slice or push tendency would find more offset helpful in straightening out the shot shape.  It also improves the launch by moving the club center of gravity back further... helping the ball get up in the air.  

I love the look of less offset personally, and I can better judge my club face "squareness" with less offset (or shape shots both directions easier)... which is why I love a blade.. (and don't get me started on the top line discussion ;)), and also why I chose my current gamers (they offered lower offset with a bit more GI aspects than a traditional blade or players club style).  Having said that,  I have also really enjoyed testing out some other higher offset irons recently - and more offset irons may find their way into my bag at some point (which is why I'm on this thread :)). 

Anyway, as a reference point, here is a run down of the current Mizuno Irons with the offset shown on the right most chart.  

image.png.103a4263c62900326f364dbfbbae1ae9.png

Now, let your nerdiness blossom 🙂

It's the same for me... some offset definitely helps me hit it straighter, but too much and my alignment gets wonky and it does more harm than good.  

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120X | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | :ping-small: Traverse | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Just now, GolfSpy_BOS said:

It's the same for me... some offset definitely helps me hit it straighter, but too much and my alignment gets wonky and it does more harm than good.  

Yep, exactly for me.  Somethng like the Callaway Rogue, I couldn't stand to look at.  But the Titlesit T300 for a GI or the PXG 0311 XP are not offensive at all...to me at least. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, I wasn't going to nit pick,

I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to nit pick myself 🙂.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid

13 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to nit pick myself 🙂.  

@Golfspy_CG2: here, let me get that for you.

image.png.c8ecc876c45bbb20439d8347f9310974.png

• Sad 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

@Golfspy_CG2: here, let me get that for you.

image.png.c8ecc876c45bbb20439d8347f9310974.png

I don't know whether to laugh or cringe at that, maybe I'll laugh so hard I'll start to cry and cover both bases..ha

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Here's the chart I was talking about, it's from 2020 I believe after the JPX21 line was released.  I think it will hold true to the current Mizumo Pro and JPX23 lineup as well.  With the addtion of the Hot Metal HL probably being slotted at the very top right after the Hot Metal.

For those who haven't followed the Mizuno naming convention going from MP to Mizuno Pro they would be

MP20 MB = Mizuno Pro 22

MP20 MMC = Mizuno Pro 223

MP20 HMB = Mizuno Pro 225

Mizuno Irons Handicap Chart Hot Sale, 56% OFF | www.playamazarron.com

So if im between 16 and 20, i guess that means i should buy a blended set 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

12 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

So if im between 16 and 20, i guess that means i should buy a blended set 😂

Haha. I say go for the Forged so when you improve if molds into you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/2" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue  :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 115 in the MGS Speed Challenge

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

25 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Haha. I say go for the Forged so when you improve if molds into you.

I thought you were going to say he should go Forged.  Because when he decides on the next new shiny toy in 2 months you can get the Mizunos from him 😬

There’s a guy who plays at our course thst is pretty much the same specs as me.  Whenever I get a new set or irons in.  He always comes into my office and say.  “Let me see what my next set of clubs in two moths, look like”.   Ha 

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I thought you were going to say he should go Forged.  Because when he decides on the next new shiny toy in 2 months you can get the Mizunos from him 😬

There’s a guy who plays at our course thst is pretty much the same specs as me.  Whenever I get a new set or irons in.  He always comes into my office and say.  “Let me see what my next set of clubs in two moths, look like”.   Ha 

well, if only @dlow206 and I were remotely close to the same specs 😛 He usually is 1/2" short and flat where i am 1/4" long and 3* upright.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/2" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue  :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35"

Ball:    :srixon-small: Z Star XV (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot,  :OnCore:Vero X1, :titelist-small: proV1)

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 115 in the MGS Speed Challenge

I have seen them. They look great. Ball speeds improved because they’ve gone to a nickel alloy in the chromoly that’s stronger…so thinner face. I think I heard like 8% more ball speed (robot testing of course). Forged and Tour models won’t be out until January. Hot Metal, HM Pro, and a new HL model will be available in October. 

• Like 1

BYOB

Callaway Driver, Srixon 3 wood, Ping 7 wood, Mizuno hybrids and irons, Cleveland Wedges, EVNROLL putter

3 hours ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

well, if only @dlow206 and I were remotely close to the same specs 😛 He usually is 1/2" short and flat where i am 1/4" long and 3* upright.

Not a problem reshafting and building to your spec…

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Not a problem reshafting and building to your spec…

Music to my ears

• Like 2

My Reviews: