TESTERS WANTED! ×

Underrated and/or Unknown

GolfSpy_APH

We all know about brands such as Sub70 and other direct to consumer brands which have taken off over the last few years. They make amazing products at a price point which is much more affordable to all. However there are many other brands out there which aren't as well known, or at least moving here to Switzerland I've certainly come across several products/brands which I hadn't seen or heard of before that either have a unique story or a well priced product that have peaked my interest. 

The first one is myputter.ch. They are a fully customizable putter company with 2 main models and a whole variety of colors. The prices are not cheap at about $350 usd, but they also have an added option of 2 style faces. One rolled face and one traditional flat face. The cool part of their story is they are all made here in Switzerland and they employ disabled people to give them further job opportunities. 
Screenshot 2022-08-16 09.07.01.png

The designs I'm guessing won't be for everyone, but I know I am still very curious to get one in hand to try out if I can.

Screenshot 2022-08-16 09.07.34.png

Again their options are well varied with colors on nearly every part of the putter from head to grip with many other options for headcovers, divot tools and more. 

Screenshot 2022-08-16 09.08.09.png

The second one which I've seen more of here and I'm guessing this has to do with price more then anything, but is Sugar Golf Balls. Here in Switzerland they are about 3.30 chf per golf ball which is about half the price of a pro v1. Golf here is a silly expensive sport and golf balls are no different so finding a great deal on golf balls is awesome. I have seen one review on them with TXG and they seemingly performed the same as any other premium golf ball. In all likelihood I'll be ordering a box and getting them a go... oh and their boxes or sugar cubes come with 27 golf balls which I think I like as well vs just getting a dozen. Anyone played these?

So are there other brands or companies you know of that are relatively unknown or underrated which you have tried or are curious about? I'm sure there are more on the golfball side of things as well as smaller niche putter companies. Would love to hear your experiences and thoughts on what you have come across over your times as a golfer and if any have made it into your bag or are still there?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

T Squared is a putter company out of Orchard Park, NY…home of my beloved, Buffalo Bills. 

The founder has been working with a CNC machine for sometime to create his own idea of what a putter should be. 

I’ve been following them for several years and while their niche is customization over innovative technology, they appear to have done well.  

https://tsquaredputters.com

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

SeeMore Putters. Not to turn this into a putter only thread, but they are good. I didn't know much about them, but I came across one at the local Play it Again. I put it in the bag the night before a tournament and haven't looked back. Very good quality and great alignment tool helps. This putter definitely got me back on track on the greens. 

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

11 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

SeeMore Putters. Not to turn this into a putter only thread, but they are good. I didn't know much about them, but I came across one at the local Play it Again. I put it in the bag the night before a tournament and haven't looked back. Very good quality and great alignment tool helps. This putter definitely got me back on track on the greens. 

Pretty well known actually! Zac Johnson won quite a few tournaments with his SeeMore FGP. 

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Pretty well known actually! Zac Johnson won quite a few tournaments with his SeeMore FGP. 

Payne Stewart as well.  Also the head of MGS used to work for Seemore.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think there are quite a few smaller lesser known brands in Europe and Japan.  Lots probably fall into the putter category as this might be an easier area to break into.   I probably get some exposure to these smaller brands due to most wanted testing.  

some of the ones I quickly recall would be Haywood, Takomo, Jucie, ArGolf, MLA,  and  Geom. 

smaller brands don’t necessarily mean less expensive as some of the above are pretty pricy and cost more than the big OEMs.  This is especially true in the putter space where you can get into boutique brands like Tyson Lamb, Olson, Lajosi, artisan, low tide, Mannkrafted, Tad Moore, TP Mills, National Custom, MackMade, Kingston, Meridian, Coggin, Nordberg, and Goodwood.   2nd swing has started highlighting some of these boutique brands by selling new OTR styles….warning they aren’t cheap 😁

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Saw this one the other day. Totally customized putters with interchangeable shafts/necks, and the company is crowdfunded. Crazy idea and expensive, but cool looking putters with a lot of innovation. 

https://machinestarter.com/

1365364972_ScreenShot2022-08-16at9_17_21AM.png.7f72d912916c108686f76c508dba1978.png

Edited by Headhammer

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

19 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

Saw this one the other day. Totally customized putters with interchangeable shafts/necks, and the company is crowdfunded. Crazy idea and expensive, but cool looking putters with a lot of innovation. 

https://machinestarter.com/

1365364972_ScreenShot2022-08-16at9_17_21AM.png.7f72d912916c108686f76c508dba1978.png

Didn’t realize they were back.  Machine has been around for a long time and based on what I remember have gone in and out of business a couple of times.  Makes me remember the putter talk forum; still hoping it makes a comeback.  

35 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think there are quite a few smaller lesser known brands in Europe and Japan.  Lots probably fall into the putter category as this might be an easier area to break into.   I probably get some exposure to these smaller brands due to most wanted testing.  

some of the ones I quickly recall would be Haywood, Takomo, Jucie, ArGolf, MLA,  and  Geom. 

smaller brands don’t necessarily mean less expensive as some of the above are pretty pricy and cost more than the big OEMs.  This is especially true in the putter space where you can get into boutique brands like Tyson Lamb, Olson, Lajosi, artisan, low tide, Mannkrafted, Tad Moore, TP Mills, National Custom, MackMade, Kingston, Meridian, Coggin, Nordberg, and Goodwood.   2nd swing has started highlighting some of these boutique brands by selling new OTR styles….warning they aren’t cheap 😁

MLA is one that I haven't seen much of lately. I know for a few years there they were big in with the most wanted and did very well but seemingly have fallen off a bit?

I would agree that Putters seem to be the category of choice for many to break in. Perhaps it is also a slightly simpler process. I know we also have a member who has been making and selling his own. I forget another guy I follow in IG makes wood/glue custom putters. Can't remember the name though. They I would say are more wall hangers then gamers, but still. 

Golf balls are another one that we see many new comers to the space and there seems to be a new name popping up fairly frequently. Again I mention Sugar, I guess they have been around for a little while but it was only now that I saw a add in the Swiss Golf Assoc book and went to their site to take a look at them. 

I'm sure there are many others that I have never seen or heard of and would love to get exposure to them and see the different options that are available. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

That's cool. I know on their website they claim a few major wins, but it doesn't say who or when. I didn't look to deep though.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

4 hours ago, jlukes said:

SeeMore was the cool kids putter on the greens between 1999-2003...you'd see a few of them and the guys who gamed them in my experience were often, tough to beat around the greens.

The company was sold in 2006 - right before the recession and a lull in golf sales.  I had forgotten about them until recently and am glad to see they're reemerging.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Okay one more Swiss Putter company to add to the list. 

https://single-putt.com/en/

I don't think I could ever justify 620 chf (600 USD) on one, but man I may go check out their place since it is only 35 minutes away from my place. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I got fit into a putter from "Fine Tuned" out of New Zealand - kind of unbeknownst to me, actually. I went to a local place that offered "putter fittings" for $99.  I'd been looking to find something to help my inconsistent putting, and figured it'd be a good place to start, knowing my specs.

The fitting itself was pretty incredible - they used a SAM machine and these fitting putters had every part of it interchangeable: face, neck, back, alignment, etc.  The fitter could add/take away weight as needed, etc.  I found that with a blacked out top line with a subtle (also black) dot, I could find and hold my line significantly better than with "alignment aids" (a la the Odyssey 7).

The only rub, really, was that only AFTER the fitting (the fitter literally did not let me hit anything other than this putter) was I told that it was $750 US.  I had been looking/hoping to spend no more than $300.  Soo....I left.  The fitter then tried to charge me $250 for the fitting. So I told him I'd be calling the Better Business Bureau as both his website and the pricing board in his studio listed the fitting as $99.  Sigh.  

But, I can honestly say, the putters are beautiful, they're hand-built in NZ, and they're pretty spectacular-looking (to me) - they're also almost completely customizable color-wise.

https://www.fine-tuned.co.nz/

They have a UK sight, as well, but the US/Canada site appears to not be working currently. 

1727469393_SM1Blackout.JPG.2cb4d381a2382d410cb5a9dbe2d9f09e.JPG

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

In a little twist I got in touch with Single-Putt to see if I could meet up with them and talk about their putter and do a article/post here on the forum. They got back to me within a 20 minutes and we will meet up next week and hopefully get a chance to demo the putter as well as get a good back story on their product as well as foundation of the company!

Love it! By The Power of the Interwebs!!! 

By the power of Grayskull! In addition to my previous She-… | Flickr

(I like to imagine this is you, holding your putter, standing in front of the 18th at a killer mini-putt place)

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

SeeMore was the cool kids putter on the greens between 1999-2003...you'd see a few of them and the guys who gamed them in my experience were often, tough to beat around the greens.

The company was sold in 2006 - right before the recession and a lull in golf sales.  I had forgotten about them until recently and am glad to see they're reemerging.

SeeMore was doing a lot in terms of marketing in the mid 2010s.  They were a major sponsor on the THP forums.  Definitely seems like they've scaled their marketing back over the last few years.

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

In a little twist I got in touch with Single-Putt to see if I could meet up with them and talk about their putter and do a article/post here on the forum. They got back to me within a 20 minutes and we will meet up next week and hopefully get a chance to demo the putter as well as get a good back story on their product as well as foundation of the company!

Just checked out their website.  Do the Swiss really call putters "Rackets"? Or is that a translation issue?

11 minutes ago, jlukes said:

SeeMore was doing a lot in terms of marketing in the mid 2010s.  They were a major sponsor on the THP forums.  Definitely seems like they've scaled their marketing back over the last few years.

Explains why I had no idea. I was recovering from golf career burnout. 

No matter what happens to them, they’ll always be attached to one of the most iconic putts made to win the US Open. That’s the stuff putter mfg must dream of. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

9 hours ago, bens197 said:

T Squared is a putter company out of Orchard Park, NY…home of my beloved, Buffalo Bills. 

The founder has been working with a CNC machine for sometime to create his own idea of what a putter should be. 

I’ve been following them for several years and while their niche is customization over innovative technology, they appear to have done well.  

https://tsquaredputters.com

As we discussed when I was looking into my putter quest, I almost just went to T Squared to set something built one of one. It's so weird to have so many little companies in the golf world in WNY

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

24 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Just checked out their website.  Do the Swiss really call putters "Rackets"? Or is that a translation issue?

Oh my god - you noticed that too? I assumed it was some kind of translation thing, but...I'm going to start calling mine a racket, too. (To be fair, the putter market IS a bit of a racket (buhdumdum! I'll be here all week).)

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

29 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I believe all clubs loosely translate to rackets. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

43 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

As we discussed when I was looking into my putter quest, I almost just went to T Squared to set something built one of one. It's so weird to have so many little companies in the golf world in WNY

Especially considering how many Ross & Jones courses inhabit this area the only prohibitive factor is the weather. WNY is bonkers for golf. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

22 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

MLA is one that I haven't seen much of lately. I know for a few years there they were big in with the most wanted and did very well but seemingly have fallen off a bit?

I would agree that Putters seem to be the category of choice for many to break in. Perhaps it is also a slightly simpler process. I know we also have a member who has been making and selling his own. I forget another guy I follow in IG makes wood/glue custom putters. Can't remember the name though. They I would say are more wall hangers then gamers, but still. 

Golf balls are another one that we see many new comers to the space and there seems to be a new name popping up fairly frequently. Again I mention Sugar, I guess they have been around for a little while but it was only now that I saw a add in the Swiss Golf Assoc book and went to their site to take a look at them. 

I'm sure there are many others that I have never seen or heard of and would love to get exposure to them and see the different options that are available. 

I keep seeing teasers on instagram for new MLA models, but no idea if, and when, they'll come out. It seems like every day there is a new DTC ball company in my social feeds, Piper seems to be making a lot of noise lately.

Seven is a company that isn't well known and they make some beautiful clubs, but they are clearly for the more money than brains crowd. $3,900 putters? SMDH!

1567247711_ScreenShot2022-08-17at8_12_10AM.png.9adabf325e6289a1d4c98d8065d46b0a.png1796741303_ScreenShot2022-08-17at8_12_36AM.png.c7be0b0c32e53759474ed8a6210a3868.png

Yet another DTC ball company. It's a NO from me dawg.

1179565863_ScreenShot2022-08-18at8_27_26AM.png.335473d0a8044d40054f27364ee298ad.png

3 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

Yet another DTC ball company. It's a NO from me dawg.

1179565863_ScreenShot2022-08-18at8_27_26AM.png.335473d0a8044d40054f27364ee298ad.png

May be good for the find it cut it series?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

On 8/16/2022 at 3:15 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

The first one is myputter.ch. They are a fully customizable putter company with 2 main models and a whole variety of colors. The prices are not cheap at about $350 usd, but they also have an added option of 2 style faces. One rolled face and one traditional flat face. The cool part of their story is they are all made here in Switzerland and they employ disabled people to give them further job opportunities. 

Very interesting putters!  However, with the Swiss franc almost on an equal par with the US dollar (at least for now) they are right up there in price with the elite US putters.  It would be difficult to commit to buying one without a 30-day guarantee with free return shipping.  That said, I love the idea that disabled people are employed.

Regarding "other" golf product companies, I just today added a Founders Club 21-degree 7-wood to my bag replacing my 4-iron.  It's brand new, directly from Founders.   I'll put it in play tomorrow for the first time.  Many folks are not familiar with Founders Clubs but they had a good following and reputation 20-30 years ago.  In fact, my brother played Founders woods for years and loved them.  You can buy individual woods, sets of woods, sets of irons, and complete sets all for short money.  They also have golf bags and other accessories. (foundersclub.com)

Not to get off the subject of putters but the one company I found that is relatively new and has inexpensive clubs that are very high quality as far as I'm concerned and that's Lazrus.

I bought eight of their clubs five irons two hybrids and a seven wood and I love how they perform.

Mizuno MP68 Irons

2 minutes ago, bobr3 said:

Not to get off the subject of putters but the one company I found that is relatively new and has inexpensive clubs that are very high quality as far as I'm concerned and that's Lazrus.

I bought eight of their clubs five irons two hybrids and a seven wood and I love how they perform.

I saw Matt Fryer did a video on them the other day. Certainly looked interesting and seemingly performed well. Longevity may be my only question with them, but at the same time for the price really cannot complain at all. They were wedges with a cool rainbow finish. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW