Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

BMW Championship - 2022

fixyurdivot

And then there was 70. The field, now trimmed from 125 to 70, will play the second event in the FedEx Cup, the BMW Championship, which will be hosted by Wilmington CC. Are any of our east coast spy's planning to attend? Another $15,000,000 purse with the winner getting $2.7M.  Patrick Cantlay will be there to defend last years win. The degree of difficulty has reached golfs version of DEFCON 4 and, as we saw from last weeks leaderboard, full if mid-pack names, any of the guys can be the one. 

I'm bummed about the Cam Smith withdrawal; first because he's my FTx anchorman, and secondly, because "he's my FTx anchorman" 😪Seriously, talk about bad timing.  Oh well, assuming the hip issue is nothing serious, he'll likely be at Eastlake in what may be his last PGA event. 

My hunch is that a player in 35-70 ranking gets it done this week.  Please let it be Henley, Varner, or Leishman 🙏.  Who are you thinking hoist the hardware?

2021 BMW Championship: Winners and Losers from Maryland

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Dang, I looked at the wrong page/update on our FTx playoffs... I didn't make the second round 😂.  Oh well, it would have taken a moon-shot to catch the top 3 even if Cam played and won.  On the plus side 6 of my team are in the top 70 and here's hoping one of them wins it all 👍.

if zalatoris continues to putt he’ll sweep the remaining events. i doubt he’ll miss as many fairways as he did in victory last week. this has been a streaky year for scheffler and cam smith, so wz could join them by getting hot at the right time. When he’s on, his game seems to travel.

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

21 hours ago, ryan.mzzz said:

if zalatoris continues to putt he’ll sweep the remaining events. i doubt he’ll miss as many fairways as he did in victory last week. this has been a streaky year for scheffler and cam smith, so wz could join them by getting hot at the right time. When he’s on, his game seems to travel.

Hard to win two weeks in a row, but I tend to agree.  Have to think Zalatoris will hit more fairways this week.

That being said, the Scottie Scheffler fan in me hopes he gets it done, or at least retakes #1.  

Will is currently being referred to by a couple on TGC as the "best ball striker on tour".  It wasn't that long ago that same claim was being used for Collin Morikawa. I wonder who will be next? 🤔 This got me to wondering who is considered the most consistent ball striker during their career - past and present?  Ben Hogan? Who's your choice?

22 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Will is currently being referred to by a couple on TGC as the "best ball striker on tour".  It wasn't that long ago that same claim was being used for Collin Morikawa. I wonder who will be next? 🤔

Excellent point. It seems there is always a new flavor of the month, or even week.

:Sub70: 849D with Evenflow Riptide (stiff)

:taylormade-small: V Steel 3 & 5 woods

:Sub70: 699U 3 (19.5*) 

:Sub70: 939X 4H 

:Sub70:  699 (4-6) / 699 Pro (7-PW) with KBS Tour 120 shafts (stiff)

:Sub70: 286 Wedge (50 degrees)

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 (56 degrees)

:EVNROLL: ER8v with Fujikura MC shaft (firm)

:maxfli: Tour 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2023 2.5+ / :nike-small: University of Miami Stand Bag

:BagBoy: Nitron - Forum Test Review

:ShotScope: Pro L2

Garmin S10

55 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Will is currently being referred to by a couple on TGC as the "best ball striker on tour".  It wasn't that long ago that same claim was being used for Collin Morikawa. I wonder who will be next? 🤔 This got me to wondering who is considered the most consistent ball striker during their career - past and present?  Ben Hogan? Who's your choice?

Not sure how I could quality or quantify the term best or most consistent ball striker.  We could say Tiger or Snead simply because they win the most. Don’t you have to be the best or most consistent ball striker to win?  Does driving and putting get included since you still have to “strike” the ball?   To me the claim is just more media gobbledygook that is essentially meaningless since it seems to be who has been playing well recently.  If we are simply looking at irons does it come down to proximity to the hole? That would make the best over the last few years: Ryan Armour (22), Emiliano Grillo (21), Josh Teater (20), and Corey Conners (19).   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Not sure how I could quality or quantify the term best or most consistent ball striker.  We could say Tiger or Snead simply because they win the most. Don’t you have to be the best or most consistent ball striker to win?  Does driving and putting get included since you still have to “strike” the ball?   To me the claim is just more media gobbledygook that is essentially meaningless since it seems to be who has been playing well recently.  If we are simply looking at irons does it come down to proximity to the hole? That would make the best over the last few years: Ryan Armour (22), Emiliano Grillo (21), Josh Teater (20), and Corey Conners (19).   

The general usage of the term "ball striking" refers to the full swing- woods and irons.

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Firstly, I'll be rooting hard for Will to win again this week. I just really enjoy his game and it's absolutely bonkers to me how he smashes the ball so far for his size. Still can't get over that. 

2ndly, can't remember which year it was ... '06 or '07 ... but I attended the TPC at Sawgrass and spent a good while at the range watching the players hit and there were a lot who came through. The two guys that so obviously stood out to be the best iron strikers on the range were Sergio and Tiger, and it wasn't even close. Even the players next them on the range would occasionally pause and watch them hit. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

6 minutes ago, LICC said:

The general usage of the term "ball striking" refers to the full swing- woods and irons.

But what does it mean?   What makes one person good and one person bad?   Why not include all aspects of golf since they all involve striking the ball.   Is it distance or proximity or some averages number.  Like I said media  gobbledygook to give the talking heads something to talk about.  If you want to say player X is the best quantify it with objective facts.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Looking further at PGA stats, “ball striking” is associated with driver.  If you look at strokes gained approach it shows Collin being the best last year and Will this year Which means the statement made by TGC is based on strokes gained  approach the green stats.   

a quick look at numbers back to 2004, Tiger lead the most years so we could say he is the career leader but we have no historical numbers to evaluate players prior to the stat being kept. 

59 minutes ago, cnosil said:

But what does it mean?   What makes one person good and one person bad?   Why not include all aspects of golf since they all involve striking the ball.   Is it distance or proximity or some averages number.  Like I said media  gobbledygook to give the talking heads something to talk about.  If you want to say player X is the best quantify it with objective facts.  

Actually, ballstriking has a very real, quantifiable meaning. It's the player who has a combination of the best driving accuracy, and greens in regulation. Ballstriking refers to a person's ability to hit the same shot (and types of shot) consistently, with the smallest margin of error.

7 minutes ago, LICC said:

Actually, ballstriking has a very real, quantifiable meaning. It's the player who has a combination of the best driving accuracy, and greens in regulation. Ballstriking refers to a person's ability to hit the same shot (and types of shot) consistently, with the smallest margin of error.

Valid definition, but not how the PGA tour labels ball striking.  See my prior post on how they qualify the numbers. 

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Depends on what criteria. But with morikawa his trackman numbers with 6i are better than other pros with scoring irons/wedges. Those in the know have talked about how well and consistent he swings an iron.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

When I think "ball striking" I think irons.  Since hitting them consistently in the clubs "sweet spot" does not necessarily equate to shot accuracy, that criteria alone dosen't mean much I suppose but it stands to reason that the players who can most consistently strike that spot, robot-like, would be the greatest ball striker's.

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

Like I said media  gobbledygook to give the talking heads something to talk about.

I think you're right.  

Will Z walking gingerly, hopefully it is a minor/short-term injury.

Garmin S10

2 hours ago, Hobert said:

Will Z walking gingerly, hopefully it is a minor/short-term injury.

Just tuned into round 3 and heard that news.  His swing, stature/physique dosen't strike me as one that would be high risk for back problems, but then neither did Couples, Tiger, and a whole bunch of other players.  With the amount to repetition and strain they put on their entire body, it's a wonder their aren't more ailments. 

40 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Just tuned into round 3 and heard that news.  His swing, stature/physique dosen't strike me as one that would be high risk for back problems, but then neither did Couples, Tiger, and a whole bunch of other players.  With the amount to repetition and strain they put on their entire body, it's a wonder their aren't more ailments. 

Wishing Will a speedy recovery. Hope to see him near 100% for the Tour Championship.

Garmin S10

On 8/19/2022 at 9:26 AM, Hobert said:

Excellent point. It seems there is always a new flavor of the month, or even week.

🐅 held it down for a few years though, so I read this comment as “we’re still on the lookout for the next Tiger Woods.” 

I agree.

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

Rooting for adam scott today. Really rooting for him to sink a few more putts. scheffler also. 

Although, looking at that absolutely stacked leaderboard, i’m just going to enjoy it either way.

Beyond that, I hope cam smith and will zalatoris make it back for the final.

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

Should be a good watch today, a good mix of established contenders and less known names within 5 strokes - stretched to include Rors, my wife’s fav.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

How fun would it be if Stallings can pull out the win! 

Garmin S10

7 minutes ago, Hobert said:

How fun would it be if Stallings can pull out the win! 

It would be great to see Scott win it.  I'm taking some consolation in that my FTx squad wouldn't have taken me to Eastlake... making getting bumped out in the first round less painful.

18 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Watching this I remember why I stopped watching when Cantlay is in contention the boy takes forever to hit a shot

Well, I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you, but there is a Cantlay clone coming up from the amateur ranks.  Sam Bennett (who looks like he'll win the USGA men's) in the next two holes, has a pre-shot routine that is sure to please 😐.

5 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Watching this I remember why I stopped watching when Cantlay is in contention the boy takes forever to hit a shot

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1263029947862657

Not sure if you'll be able to see this, but it's a video from a FB Golf Group I'm in - footage of a kid playing in the USGA Am, and it's...I swear the kid grips and re-grips for 30 seconds before hitting tee shot. It's brutal. And hilarious. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (4-PW) - Caley 01T (4-PW)
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Maxfli Tour

13 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1263029947862657

Not sure if you'll be able to see this, but it's a video from a FB Golf Group I'm in - footage of a kid playing in the USGA Am, and it's...I swear the kid grips and re-grips for 30 seconds before hitting tee shot. It's brutal. And hilarious. 

We must have been typing at the same time.  Move over Patrick, Sam Bennett is about to take your perch.  What's interesting is that the rep's are inconsistent.  Sometimes 7, sometimes 8, 9, 10... and yesterday I counted an 11 🤣.

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

We must have been typing at the same time.  Move over Patrick, Sam Bennett is about to take your perch.  What's interesting is that the rep's are inconsistent.  Sometimes 7, sometimes 8, 9, 10... and yesterday I counted an 11 🤣.

I didn't know his name! It's incredible - I legitimately thought that the guy made a gif and was pretending it was a real pre-shot routine.  That would be nearly impossible to play along with, let alone play behind.  

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (4-PW) - Caley 01T (4-PW)
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Maxfli Tour

2 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

I didn't know his name! It's incredible - I legitimately thought that the guy made a gif and was pretending it was a real pre-shot routine.  That would be nearly impossible to play along with, let alone play behind.  

This is why I rarely watch pro golf. I stand behind my ball take aim, walk up and hit it no waggle no practice swings nothing. I like fast golf

Congratulations Patty-Ice!!