TESTERS WANTED! ×

What would be your teaching philosophy?

Talking with my instructor. And he said if a player was able to apply at least 10% of what he recommends for them. Than his teaching has been a success. His thinking is even the smallest of changes will help almost any handicap amateur 

Of course lower golf scores and enjoying this very frustrating game more is a the forefront 

what would be your goals as a teacher ?

IMO if he is telling you that much information he needs to look in the mirror as much as the student. I don't doubt that small changes can be applied and be a success but if 90% of the info he is presenting is forgotten then he is wasting both peoples time or giving so much info that nobody would be able to change anything. 

As far as my goal it was always to get the student to understand and implement 1 thing. There were times that they were capable of more than that however most of the time with the golf swing you need to see how 1 change affects the rest of the move before you can move on. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

19 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

IMO if he is telling you that much information he needs to look in the mirror as much as the student. I don't doubt that small changes can be applied and be a success but if 90% of the info he is presenting is forgotten then he is wasting both peoples time or giving so much info that nobody would be able to change anything. 

As far as my goal it was always to get the student to understand and implement 1 thing. There were times that they were capable of more than that however most of the time with the golf swing you need to see how 1 change affects the rest of the move before you can move on. 

Yes. He changed my whole golf swing and thinking. I believe his 10% rule is if a players swing or game can improve just 10%. Than his info was a success

What I’ve learned and am trying to apply has been one heck of a process. I wish I had just one simple elixir change that fixes it all. But sadly in my case, and for most of us .. it’s a multitude of things. Why this game may be the hardest physical activity on the planet 

23 minutes ago, Goober said:

Yes. He changed my whole golf swing and thinking. I believe his 10% rule is if a players swing or game can improve just 10%. Than his info was a success

What I’ve learned and am trying to apply has been one heck of a process. I wish I had just one simple elixir change that fixes it all. But sadly in my case, and for most of us .. it’s a multitude of things. Why this game may be the hardest physical activity on the planet 

No doubt we all have a lot to change, I just hope that he is allowing you a timeframe to implement changes before adding more. 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

Swing changes can take years, not just weeks. Give it time. It is slightly concerning he gave you a lot to work on. A good coach should do pieces until they master one piece, then move to the next and see if the student is still doing the first piece. Good luck on your journey. Lessons is a start and a lot of golfers would benefit from them

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Most amateurs don’t practice enough or practice with a purpose.

Many amateurs including myself for a period of time want immediate results. But that’s not how golf works, especially if one is trying to engrain new movement patterns. Those take years of work to make changes. Tiger took 18 -24 months after his different swing changes and he practiced more than anyone and exponentially more than most amateurs.

A teacher needs to understand the goals of each student, what their time limits are for practice and what their dedication level is. Then the teacher needs to build a plan around that for the student and get their buy in. The teacher also needs to help the student set expectations and what’s realistic and what’s not. The more time and more dedication a student has the more detailed and in depth the teacher can be.

The teacher has to help the student understand that results may not happen immediately and that in most cases worrying about ball flight instead of making the new movements isn’t important. 

Small changes in the fundamentals can go a long way to fixing many issues in the swing. Getting the student in a good position by lead arm parallel is key. 

The philosophy is communication, goal setting and accountability 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

37 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Swing changes can take years, not just weeks. Give it time. It is slightly concerning he gave you a lot to work on. A good coach should do pieces until they master one piece, then move to the next and see if the student is still doing the first piece. Good luck on your journey. Lessons is a start and a lot of golfers would benefit from them

It’s a lot. But I think even the smallest changes for any of us are a lot. Mine were major 

Don't know anything about your abilities first hand, but maybe learn how to hit a couple shots instead of working on a swing because a swing doesn't necessarily guarantee shot making ability, but shot making ability will bring a swing.  You can't learn to play guitar, but learn a couple chords and you're on your way to learning how to play guitar.     I would suggest a push-slice and a pull-hook as two shots to begin with. 

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

My goal as a teacher would be for the student to enjoy the game more. I’ve always loved Harvey Penick’s books. I can’t think of a better place to look for a philosophy of teaching. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

... I taught for 5 years and my Philosophy was to "Help you do what you already do .. but better". Most students just wanted to get better and hit better shots, not qualify for the Champions Tour. If an instructor can take the average golfer from struggling to break 100 to breaking 90 but most importantly not hitting really bad shots when they don't know why, most would be thrilled. While I had several students that were willing to take the time to tear their swing down and put it back together, they were the exceptions. Most golfers have engrained moves and a swing that is naturally their own and I helped them improve on what was already there. If they had a weak slice from an over the top move my job was to turn that into a power fade with a less over the top move. What I wasn't going to attempt was a proper sequence of starting the swing with the lower body and dropping the club inside on the downswing because honestly most are not capable of that much change. If they had that kind of athleticism they would not be hitting a weak slice. 

... Adding to what TheZip said I was lucky enough to befriend an old teaching Pro in NC that had students by word of mouth. He gave me some advice I always remembered "When yur givun' out infurmashun, alwayz use a teaspoon an' not a shuvul". Any change is a HUGE change to the student and over loading them with more information than necessary is a recipe for failure. Just changing a grip takes time and patience and it will almost assuredly cause some really bad shots. It all feels bad or at the minimum very different to the student so what an instructor sees and is encouraged by can seem like the opposite to the student. Letting them know upfront it will be a difficult transition and they need to commit to the change because once the change becomes permanent they will be swinging better an hitting better shots. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

40 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

My goal as a teacher would be for the student to enjoy the game more. I’ve always loved Harvey Penick’s books. I can’t think of a better place to look for a philosophy of teaching. 

Don’t think those teachings exist anymore. Maybe 1980 instructions. Now the smart man in the class room wins. People love data and kinesiology 

So many players do not know how to strategically manage a golf course.  

Suppose a 375 yard par 4 and they hit a weak tee ball 150 yards.  The odds of hitting the green are fractional...

Instead grab a 9 iron and leave yourself 100ish yards to the green.  

This is merely one aspect I would teach but I think it is often overlooked.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

9 hours ago, Goober said:

Don’t think those teachings exist anymore. Maybe 1980 instructions. Now the smart man in the class room wins. People love data and kinesiology 

Technology has helped improve the game. Understanding what the best do through 3d capture, launch monitor data, pressure plates, video are all beneficial to the golfer and instructor.

Does the golfer necessarily need to know all the details and angles of the body? No. Does the instructor knowing and understanding them and being able to assess what a golfer can and can’t do to help them make a better swing? Absolutely.

The problame is instructors who can’t communicate to their students what they need them to do and/or aren’t listening to the student. Also students don’t always communicate to the teacher their thoughts, feelings about what’s happening in in the swing. The best are the ones that can break thru the communication issues and have both teacher and student on the same page. That’s for the goals, what the teacher is trying to do, why it’s being done and what it will accomplish and for the student to get a drill, feeling, thought that will help them achieve that. But also for the student to put in the time to get better at that. Everyone wants immediate results and many think that they can take whatever amount of time they’ve been swing improperly and undo it in 1,2,3 lessons and a few range sessions. 

Ive read for a golf swing it takes 1000 reps to start to change a movement pattern and 3000 to master it.

I’ve seen other reports for weight training where it takes 500-1000 reps to change someone’s movement pattern in a squat.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

15 hours ago, Goober said:

Talking with my instructor. And he said if a player was able to apply at least 10% of what he recommends for them. Than his teaching has been a success. His thinking is even the smallest of changes will help almost any handicap amateur 

Of course lower golf scores and enjoying this very frustrating game more is a the forefront 

what would be your goals as a teacher ?

I've given some "lessons" to friends who have asked for pointers and the first thing I always want to know from them is "what is your goal?" If the goal is simply to hit the ball a little better so they don't feel like an embarrassment once or twice a month then it directs my advice down a certain path - quick fixes (usually setup and grip adjustments) which are easier to implement in their limited practice and playing time. It might mean they maintain a less-than-optimal swing and struggle with direction, but if I can help them keep the ball in play then we've likely achieved the desired outcome (they'll usually let me know lol).

On the other hand, if a buddy who plays and/or practices regularly wants some help to achieve lower scores or play competitively then I will recommend incremental changes over time and take a closer look at how the club moves in the swing, impact position, what the body is doing, etc... Furthermore, I will seriously assess what I can or can't do to help them and direct them toward someone more capable than myself. My advice in those instances might be mostly limited to on-course strategy. 

I don't think I would do much different if I were teaching golf as an occupation. The primary difference would be my knowledge and qualifications to help the recreational golfer, better player, and those that have some serious goals in mind - I'd be more capable to help them, but still willing to assess my capabilities and direct them to another resource if necessary.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Somewhat on topic. Saw this in a thread on wrx

1EAD4668-475C-4538-89E5-2C10C17882AA.jpeg

13 hours ago, Goober said:

data provides information that generally shouldn’t be challenged yet we still see and hear and out people that dispute this type of data.  Course management Is probably the biggest area and showing how “bad” PGA tour players really are.  I use the term bad because the TV talking heads make you think these players can drop 150 shots onto a towel at will or that they hit almost all their putts past the whole.   Data shows this simply isn’t true.  The movement stuff is trying to help instructors understand movement patterns so they can help players move mor effectively; probably not useful for a player learning how to swing a club.  It is like any other profession,  we should continually seek to educate ourselves so we can do the job better.   Also not all people love data, there is a large percentage of players that avoid data becuase it would cause them to think too much and chase numbers.   

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

Suppose a 375 yard par 4 and they hit a weak tee ball 150 yards.  The odds of hitting the green are fractional...

Now you are just talking crazy😂.  I agree with you 100%; people get too wrapped up in how golf should look and not how to score.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

... I think it might be the biggest problem for many mid caps I play with. There is a hole I play that is a 324/303 yd par 4 and probably 290/270 on a straight line. Huge bunker on the right side starting about 150 and stretching to 200 to snag any fades/slices and the green is guarded by 6 deep bunkers that stretch out to the dogleg so no direct line to the green. It is about 210 to the front of the bunkers and I lay up with a 5 or 4 iron depending on the wind. Leaves me an 85-115 shot depending on pin placement. You can also hit over the bunkers not right in front of the green and have a clear 40 yd pitch or hit a 3 wood past the bunkers on the left leaving a 60-90yd shot. And of course you can fly it on the green if you have the fire power. 

... It is somewhat rare for any mid index player to lay up like it is an insult to their manhood to hit a 6 or 7 iron off the tee. The amount of times I have hard "Yea, I should be following you but I am gonna clear those bunkers and have any easy pitch" and of course some that try and drive the green where any shot that does not hold the shallow green can make par difficult to impossible. I birdie this hole more than any other par 4 on the course. But I see so many bogies or worse from those attempting a shot they have no business trying to play. Most single digit partners either lay up or have the game to hit a high fade and keep it on the green. It is the 15th handicap hole and a bogie is really a waste of a hole and anything worse than a bogie is just dumb. 

... If you are short sided, get the ball on the green leaving a 15-20 footer instead of trying to get it close and leave it in the rough. Sometimes it is OK to play away from the hole or even the green. Never compound an error with another error. If anyone ever starts a sentence with "I probably shouldn't try this ..." then don't. Your scorecard will thank you. But as you said, strategy is a very over looked aspect of playing this game for far too many players. 

14 hours ago, Goober said:

Those teachings do in fact exist. Just the language around them has become more complicated. Harvey kept it simple, now everyone wants a thesis on why everything happens or an 800 page data dump to back it up. There stuff I've heard come out of moderns pros mouths that it just more wordy than what's in the Little Red Book, and a lot of that was inspired by Bobby Jones & Stewart Maiden. The more things change and all that...

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I think it might be the biggest problem for many mid caps I play with. There is a hole I play that is a 324/303 yd par 4 and probably 300/280 on a straight line. Huge bunker on the right side starting about 150 and stretching to 200 to snag any fades/slices and the green is guarded by 6 deep bunkers that stretch out to the dogleg so no direct line to the green. It is about 210 to the front of the bunkers and I lay up with a 5 or 4 iron depending on the wind. Leaves me an 85-115 shot depending on pin placement. You can all hit over the bunkers not right in front of the green and have clear 40 yd pitch or hit a 3 wood past the bunkers on the left leaving a 70-100yd shot. And of course you can fly it on the green if you have the fire power. 

... It is somewhat rare for any mid index player to lay up like it is an insult to their manhood to hit a 6 or 7 iron off the tee. The amount of times I have hard "Yea, I should be following you but I am gonna clear those bunkers and have any easy pitch" and of course some that try and drive the green where any shot that does not hold the shallow green can make par difficult to impossible. I birdie this hole more than any other par 4 on the course. But I see so many bogies or worse from those attempting a shot they have no business trying to play. Most single digit partners either lay up or have the game to hit a high fade and keep it on the green. It is the 15th handicap hole and a bogie is really a waste of a hole and anything worse than a bogie is just dumb. 

... If you are short sided, get the ball on the green leaving a 15-20 footer instead of trying to get it close and leave it in the rough. Sometimes it is OK to play away from the hole or even the green. Never compound and error with another one. If anyone ever starts a sentence with "I probably shouldn't try this ..." then don't. Your scorecard will thank you. But as you said, strategy is a very over looked aspect of playing this game for far too many players. 

On that short par-4 hole that you described, I would likely hit anything from a 4-hybrid to my 4-wood. The 4-hybrid would leave me somewhere between 80-105 yards and the 4-wood would normally give me something like 60 yards.  If those 6 deep bunkers are all across the fairway, then I would leave the 4-wood in my bag and use whatever club leaves me short of them altogether, which would probably give me a mid-short iron approach to the green.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I think it might be the biggest problem for many mid caps I play with. There is a hole I play that is a 324/303 yd par 4 and probably 300/280 on a straight line. Huge bunker on the right side starting about 150 and stretching to 200 to snag any fades/slices and the green is guarded by 6 deep bunkers that stretch out to the dogleg so no direct line to the green. It is about 210 to the front of the bunkers and I lay up with a 5 or 4 iron depending on the wind. Leaves me an 85-115 shot depending on pin placement. You can all hit over the bunkers not right in front of the green and have clear 40 yd pitch or hit a 3 wood past the bunkers on the left leaving a 70-100yd shot. And of course you can fly it on the green if you have the fire power. 

... If you are short sided, get the ball on the green leaving a 15-20 footer instead of trying to get it close and leave it in the rough. Sometimes it is OK to play away from the hole or even the green. Never compound and error with another one. If anyone ever starts a sentence with "I probably shouldn't try this ..." then don't. Your scorecard will thank you. But as you said, strategy is a very over looked aspect of playing this game for far too many players. 

Isn't that just a huge part of becoming a better golfer, the mental side? It's what I've been practicing and preaching for the last few years. Yes swing flaws need ironed out, but there's just as much importance in learning to play conservatively and undertanding your consistensies. This was a big thing I was working on about 4 years ago, my pro was encouragining me to back off everything. My home course is about 6500 yards and he would have be go around not hitting more than a 5 iron. I scored basically the same, but kept everything in play. It eliminates penalites and big numbers. Now I am trying to move back the other direction. I am calling it controlled aggression. I feel like if I want to get lower I need more birdie opportunities and than usually means more drivers. But I am making sure I don't overswing or have too high of expectations when I approach the shot. Be happy with pars and stick to the KISS system.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

On that short par-4 hole that you described, I would likely hit anything from a 4-hybrid to my 4-wood. The 4-hybrid would leave me somewhere between 80-105 yards and the 4-wood would normally give me something like 60 yards.  If those 6 deep bunkers are all across the fairway, then I would leave the 4-wood in my bag and use whatever club leaves me short of them altogether, which would probably give me a mid-short iron approach to the green.

... Doug, you would need a 230-250 yd shot to be past the bunkers that cover about 80% of the fairway leaving a small opening on the left. I just don't understand why anyone would attempt that shot when laying up short leaves you a LW or GW. The only advantage is you don't have to hit your approach shot over a bunker. Laying up brings no trouble in play as you can miss side to see by 80 yds and a bad mishit still leaves you with a short iron in. still be OK. Attempting to play past the bunkers brings these sandless hardpan bunkers into play and all have very high lips and I am not sure I have ever seen anyone hit from one of those bunkers onto the green. Pull just a little left and you are in the desert bushes. If you saw this hole from the tee I have no doubt you would lay up. 

5 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Isn't that just a huge part of becoming a better golfer, the mental side? It's what I've been practicing and preaching for the last few years. Yes swing flaws need ironed out, but there's just as much importance in learning to play conservatively and undertanding your consistensies. This was a big thing I was working on about 4 years ago, my pro was encouragining me to back off everything. My home course is about 6500 yards and he would have be go around not hitting more than a 5 iron. I scored basically the same, but kept everything in play. It eliminates penalites and big numbers. Now I am trying to move back the other direction. I am calling it controlled aggression. I feel like if I want to get lower I need more birdie opportunities and than usually means more drivers. But I am making sure I don't overswing or have too high of expectations when I approach the shot. Be happy with pars and stick to the KISS system.

... The mental side just seems to be the last piece of the puzzle for too many golfers. I probably played 2 years before it was apparent the mental side of the game was as much or more responsible for my score than my mechanics. Understanding my limitations and playing accordingly was a key to my rapid improvement. Like I said earlier if your thought process is "I probably shouldn't do this" or "not the smartest move but why not give it a shot" kind of thoughts you just shouldn't attempt that shot. "Controlled aggression" sounds like an excellent game plan. Distance is very important in this game but only if it is accurate distance. I will take accuracy over distance every time.

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Doug, you would need a 230-250 yd shot to be past the bunkers that cover about 80% of the fairway leaving a small opening on the left. I just don't understand why anyone would attempt that shot when laying up short leaves you a LW or GW. The only advantage is you don't have to hit your approach shot over a bunker. Laying up brings no trouble in play as you can miss side to see by 80 yds and a bad mishit still leaves you with a short iron in. still be OK. Attempting to play past the bunkers brings these sandless hardpan bunkers into play and all have very high lips and I am not sure I have ever seen anyone hit from one of those bunkers onto the green. Pull just a little left and you are in the desert bushes. If you saw this hole from the tee I have no doubt you would lay up. 

Similar situation I see every time I play at my club. Par 5 with large fairway bunker on the left, that starts at about 110 and finishes at about 65 yards out. The amount of people I see lay up at 90-100 yards is baffling. Take trouble out of play, either hit it past it or hit it short of it. It doesn't matter what yardage it leaves you, overall the scoring average will be better. 

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Doug, you would need a 230-250 yd shot to be past the bunkers that cover about 80% of the fairway leaving a small opening on the left. I just don't understand why anyone would attempt that shot when laying up short leaves you a LW or GW. 

The last part is the key.  Even DECADE which says hit driver all the time because the closer you are to the hole the closer the next shot will likely be would agree that you can back off if you still have a wedge in hand.  I would also guess that the stroke gained numbers would be fairly close if you wanted to look for that recommendation. . 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Those teachings do in fact exist. Just the language around them has become more complicated. Harvey kept it simple, now everyone wants a thesis on why everything happens or an 800 page data dump to back it up. There stuff I've heard come out of moderns pros mouths that it just more wordy than what's in the Little Red Book, and a lot of that was inspired by Bobby Jones & Stewart Maiden. The more things change and all that...

... AS others have said communication is the foundation of teaching. That goes both ways. Being an actor certainly gave me an advantage teaching because acting is reading and reacting to someone or something. Quickly assessing what your student wants from a personality perspective is so very important. Some like a lot of explanation, some like visual examples, some just want to hit shots to learn and some liked me hitting more shots as an example, some like to talk and some are shy and quiet. The first job of a good instructor is finding out how the student likes to learn and communicate. Some need constant encouragement of what they are doing well while others want the flaws addressed without sugar coating.  

... The flip side is the student needs to be honest in communication as well. Telling me they practiced what we worked on last lesson when it is obvious they did not, never helps. Not willing to make changes like weakening an overly strong grip is one of the signs that this student isn't interested in putting in any work to get better but are expecting an AHA! moment like "swing to right field and not left field" to remove a fade that will instantly make them a better player. It took me about a year to figure out sometimes you just have to be a business man and take their money knowing you can't help them. I always explained if they were not willing to make changes or embrace what I am teaching them, the chances of improvement are very slim. Part of the job I never liked. 

5 hours ago, bens197 said:

So you hit a 9 iron 275 yards ?

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Somewhat on topic. Saw this in a thread on wrx

1EAD4668-475C-4538-89E5-2C10C17882AA.jpeg

Millennial ?

sadly this happens a lot now a days in any avenue. People expect the world right off the get go. It’s all over. Watch social media shorts ? Unreal how the world is changing 

Edited by Goober
6 minutes ago, Goober said:

So you hit a 9 iron 275 yards ?

375 -150 = 225; 9 iron would be about 125 in the scenario he described. 

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

375 -150 = 225; 9 iron would be about 125 in the scenario he described. 

... Of course but don't sell Bens short because I am guessing with the right conditions he could blade a 9 iron 275. 🤭