Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Shaft Fitting

I picked up a TSi 3 over the winter with the Tensei AV Raw White 65g S flex shaft. It has been performing well, and when I did a fitting, the TSi 3 plus AV Raw White gave me the best results. Only problem is that with doing the fitting at GG, they only had the stock options for shafts to test. I don't plan on switching driver heads, but I wouldn't mind trying out some other shaft options. Do any fitting locations offer shaft fittings only where you use your driver head? I haven't had a ton of luck researching on the internet. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

You could go to a place like club champion, TruSpec, cool clubs.

You are going to predominantly be put into an upcharge or aftermarket shaft.

The chances that another shaft fits you better or provides any significant improvement is slim. 

unless you were in a bad fitting shaft, a shaft isn’t going to make a difference like people think. 

Shafts don’t spin or launch. There have been oem tests on shafts that are lightweight ladies flex up to long driver competitor shafts and they all performed the same in a robot. The changes in performance come from how the weight and feel affect the golfer.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

49 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You could go to a place like club champion, TruSpec, cool clubs.

You are going to predominantly be put into an upcharge or aftermarket shaft.

The chances that another shaft fits you better or provides any significant improvement is slim. 

unless you were in a bad fitting shaft, a shaft isn’t going to make a difference like people think. 

Shafts don’t spin or launch. There have been oem tests on shafts that are lightweight ladies flex up to long driver competitor shafts and they all performed the same in a robot. The changes in performance come from how the weight and feel affect the golfer.

Huh, interesting! Based on everything you see and hear, you'd think it would have a larger impact. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

In my experience different shafts have made a significant difference in how i am able to hit the same head. 

Going back to a Ping G10,  using a prolaunch red xs gave me about 15 more yards and better dispersion than the stock s shaft.  All i could do with the stock shaft was hit spinny balloons.

When i upgraded to a G410 a few years ago i settled on an Accra M5 due to much better dispersion.  Distance gains were minimal with the accra and likely due to hitting a straighter ball.  Maybe it was a difference in weight, balance point, flex or a combo of all but i certainly hit the sweet spot more consistently after settling on the gamer shaft.

I will have more time to experiment this winter and expect i will try a different shaft in the Sub70 driver i am now gaming.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

36 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Huh, interesting! Based on everything you see and hear, you'd think it would have a larger impact. 

That’s because there’s lots of misinformation and old concepts still floating around

10 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

In my experience different shafts have made a significant difference in how i am able to hit the same head. 

Going back to a Ping G10,  using a prolaunch red xs gave me about 15 more yards and better dispersion than the stock s shaft.  All i could do with the stock shaft was hit spinny balloons.

This means that the shaft isn’t a fit and causes you to make a different swing. 

This is what I posted above and if you read any shaft thread on wrx will see. Your feel and thus swing were negatively impacted by the stock shaft. Your swing dynamics changed causing a bad strike and thus bad launch characteristics.

If you compared two shafts that provided you similar feel you would see the same results 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

• 1 month later...

I agree with Ricky Bobby.  

Here are some additional thoughts:

The entire build of the driver can influence how a golfer swings the club and delivers the head to the ball at impact.

The overall weight of the club and its swing weight, the grip size and weight, addition of a counterweight, the shaft weight, flex, bend profile, resistance to twisting and length combined with the head and its weight, weight distribution, MOI, center of gravity, loft and lie all create a system that elicits a response from the golfer.

Can you tell where the head is as you swing the club?  Does the club allow you to hit the ball in the center of the club face repeatably?

The shaft is an integral part of the equation and can certainly make a difference.  Some fitting companies believe that a fitting should start with the shaft.  Some fitters believe that the head is most important.  The grip is often an afterthought which in my opinion is a mistake.

If you demo a club with a standard grip and then order it with a midsize or jumbo grip the overall weight will change and the swing weight will also likely change.  The ball flight might change as well.

Will the club you are fit to match the club that is delivered?  Variations in manufacturing and build tolerances can sometimes make a noticeable difference. Ideally you would be fit to a club and then leave with that club that day.

Even when fit for a club the best thing a golfer can do is take a club out for a few rounds of golf and then decide if the club performs well enough to inspire the confidence you need to keep it in the bag.  The 30 day & 90 day playability guarantees that some companies offer is a real benefit in this regard.

While we are talking about fitting, buying a set of irons based on demoing one golf club, usually a 6 or 7 iron from the set, is another bad practice in the golf industry.

There is nothing wrong with trying different shafts and clubs. If you don’t have confidence in a club try something else. Maybe you’ll find something that gives you better results.

Once you find a club that works reliably and inspires confidence don’t get rid of it.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

I had a full bag club fitting about two months ago.  We started with my driver.  My gamer (in red) is a Ping G400 SFT with a prototype Matrix Korean shaft that I picked up on eBay for about $90 on a whim.    Even though I have an average swing speed in the low 70's, to the surprise of the fitter by smash factors averaged about 1.48 (very efficient).  The fitter wanted to try other shafts so he pulled out Fujikura Ventus red (blue data), Mitsubishi C6 Red (yellow data), Accra M1 (grey data) and Mitsubishi Diamana ZF40 (green data) shafts.  They were all about $400 each.   As you can see, with the exception of maybe a marginally better dispersion in two of them, the $400 shafts didn't yield any significant improvement for me (certainly not enough to warrant spending $400+).  

Either I got very lucky with an eBay purchase or I can hit anything and it doesn't matter!

image.png.3bc6aa61002d5a5659ab59d55b7e9953.png

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

25 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

I had a full bag club fitting about two months ago.  We started with my driver.  My gamer (in red) is a Ping G400 SFT with a prototype Matrix Korean shaft that I picked up on eBay for about $90 on a whim.    Even though I have an average swing speed in the low 70's, to the surprise of the fitter by smash factors averaged about 1.48 (very efficient).  The fitter wanted to try other shafts so he pulled out Fujikura Ventus red (blue data), Mitsubishi C6 Red (yellow data), Accra M1 (grey data) and Mitsubishi Diamana ZF40 (green data) shafts.  They were all about $400 each.   As you can see, with the exception of maybe a marginally better dispersion in two of them, the $400 shafts didn't yield any significant improvement for me (certainly not enough to warrant spending $400+).  

Either I got very lucky with an eBay purchase or I can hit anything and it doesn't matter!

image.png.3bc6aa61002d5a5659ab59d55b7e9953.png

It’s because shafts don’t do as much for launch characteristics as people think.

Unless a shaft has influences the swing in a manner that causes you to manipulate your swing mechanics to make it work the results will be about the same for all shafts 

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s because shafts don’t do as much for launch characteristics as people think.

Unless a shaft has influences the swing in a manner that causes you to manipulate your swing mechanics to make it work the results will be about the same for all shafts 

I was just trying to provide some data to support your previous posts.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4