TESTERS WANTED! ×

LPGA Player Profile: Brooke Henderson

tonyj5

i too enjoy lpga, but for brooke, and everyone else on any tour that chooses to use a family member rather than a real caddy, makes me question their seriousness. she’s won a few, what would she have won with a professional caddy who didn’t get their job because they happen to be a family member? 

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

1 hour ago, ryan.mzzz said:

i too enjoy lpga, but for brooke, and everyone else on any tour that chooses to use a family member rather than a real caddy, makes me question their seriousness. she’s won a few, what would she have won with a professional caddy who didn’t get their job because they happen to be a family member? 

Certainly a interesting take. I think we had a thread discussing pro caddy vs other. Personally I believe it is player dependent on what they want/need to be successful, however there are of course a wide range of opinions on it. 

Enjoy seeing Brooke play well and was happy to see her finish strong this season. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

12 hours ago, ryan.mzzz said:

I think there is a difference between putting a family member/friend on the for a few weeks and their being a full time caddie.  Brookes sister is always on the bag and is in essence a professional caddie.   Also each players use if the caddie is different; some just use them to be a friend, hand them a club, and rake the bunkers; others get them engaged in club selection, calculating yardage, and green reading.   What did Brooke’s sister not get done that would have potentially gotten her more wins?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, ryan.mzzz said:

Evidently Brooke is happy with the arrangement, who are you to question her “seriousness?” Can you think of anything positive to say about her, currently #5 on the LPGA tour, for the thread?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think there is a difference between putting a family member/friend on the for a few weeks and their being a full time caddie.  Brookes sister is always on the bag and is in essence a professional caddie.   Also each players use if the caddie is different; some just use them to be a friend, hand them a club, and rake the bunkers; others get them engaged in club selection, calculating yardage, and green reading.   What did Brooke’s sister get done that would have potentially gotten her more wins?

I see the most interaction with her sister on the greens. Also if I recall her sister is/was quite an accomplished golfer although she didn't qualify or play on the tour. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

12 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I see the most interaction with her sister on the greens. Also if I recall her sister is/was quite an accomplished golfer although she didn't qualify or play on the tour. 

Yes she was.   I consider family member to be someone like Westwood or Strikers wives carrying the bag and probably aren’t being paid.  Stewart Cink had/has his son carrying the bag for a while and he seemed to help Cink start winning again.   Several on the LPGA tour have their fathers or husbands carrying the bag.  One reason might be to save expenses.  PGA players have friends on the bag; Spieth for example.    This is why I asked what is considered a professional caddie?  Is it simple being paid? Or are there specific skills or job functions? 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Brooke is awesome for so many reasons.  She's got game but what I admire most is post-round, it's difficult to find her NOT interacting with her fans.

As far as the caddy arrangement goes, if it works, stick with it.  

2 wins, a 2nd, a 4th and a 6th against these fields is ridiculously good.  That's Nelly good.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Wasn't Jacks son on the bag for the '86 Masters?  😂

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

DJ’s brother, Reed’s wife then BIL, Cink as noted above. Guess they’re not serious…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

Brooke is awesome for so many reasons.  She's got game but what I admire most is post-round, it's difficult to find her NOT interacting with her fans.

Or before the round on the range. We saw her interacting with a few 'star struck' young girls at a Marathon Classic. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

4 hours ago, Middler said:

Evidently Brooke is happy with the arrangement, who are you to question her “seriousness?” Can you think of anything positive to say about her, currently #5 on the LPGA tour, for the thread?

She’s a great ambassador for Ping and she’s a ridiculous ball striker. when she’s having a good putting day, she’s a joy to watch on/around the green. 

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

I think there is a difference between putting a family member/friend on the for a few weeks and their being a full time caddie.  Brookes sister is always on the bag and is in essence a professional caddie.   Also each players use if the caddie is different; some just use them to be a friend, hand them a club, and rake the bunkers; others get them engaged in club selection, calculating yardage, and green reading.   What did Brooke’s sister get done that would have potentially gotten her more wins?

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yes she was.   I consider family member to be someone like Westwood or Strikers wives carrying the bag and probably aren’t being paid.  Stewart Cink had/has his son carrying the bag for a while and he seemed to help Cink start winning again.   Several on the LPGA tour have their fathers or husbands carrying the bag.  One reason might be to save expenses.  PGA players have friends on the bag; Spieth for example.    This is why I asked what is considered a professional caddie?  Is it simple being paid? Or are there specific skills or job functions? 

3 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

Wasn't Jacks son on the bag for the '86 Masters?  😂

3 hours ago, Middler said:

DJ’s brother, Reed’s wife then BIL, Cink as noted above. Guess they’re not serious…

jack is the greatest player and competitor off all time, in my opinion. So I’ll let the fact that he WON THE FREAKIN MASTERS with his son on the bag, later describing it as one of the best days of his life, and even so, used a professional caddy for basically his entire career.

It’s one thing to do a one off like that, I won’t call a pro golfer cheap or unserious or lacking the will to win, lacking competitive drive, etc etc, for just doing it a few times when appropriate, but when you choose nepotism as a matter of course, I definitely question all those things. 

I do appreciate all of you jumping to Brookes defense, she’s got some real fans here, and I definitely value loyalty, but If you’re down with nepotism I’d never want to work with you in a shared enterprise or work for you as an employee. 

1B6A6A48-364F-4C29-87CF-F3883A09B2EC.jpeg

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

22 minutes ago, ryan.mzzz said:

It’s one thing to do a one off like that, I won’t call a pro golfer cheap or unserious or lacking the will to win, lacking competitive drive, etc etc, for just doing it a few times when appropriate, but when you choose nepotism as a matter of course, I definitely question all those things. 

I do appreciate all of you jumping to Brookes defense, she’s got some real fans here, and I definitely value loyalty, but If you’re down with nepotism I’d never want to work with you in a shared enterprise or work for you as an employee. 

I still want to know what you consider a professional caddie since you don’t consider Brookes sister a professional caddie?  What could your definition of a professional caddie done that her whiter couldn’t?  While it could be considered nepotism, I think you are overlooking the player caddie relationship that extends beyond the golf course as the relationship that exists between a player and caddie.  But you are entitled to your opinions. 

@ryan.mzzz  How about Jordan Speith, would he have a better career with a professional caddie instead of a  full time math teacher?

Edited by cnosil

27 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I still want to know what you consider a professional caddie since you don’t consider Brookes sister a professional caddie?  What could your definition of a professional caddie done that her whiter couldn’t?  While it could be considered nepotism, I think you are overlooking the player caddie relationship that extends beyond the golf course as the relationship that exists between a player and caddie.  But you are entitled to your opinions. 

how did brookes sister get her job? I am not in a position to comment whether there’s a difference in ability /skill /professionalism between Brookes sister and a regular tour caddy, as of todays date. My contention is that it was impossible for Brookes sister to have been the most qualified candidate at the time of her hire. Sherlock Holmes said:

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

@ryan.mzzz  How about Jordan Speith, would he have a better career with a professional caddie instead of a  full time math teacher?

are they related? you’re going off topic.

Edited by ryan.mzzz
civility

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

41 minutes ago, ryan.mzzz said:

how did brookes sister get her job? I am not in a position to comment whether there’s a difference in ability /skill /professionalism between Brookes sister and a regular tour caddy, as of todays date. My contention is that it was impossible for Brookes sister to have been the most qualified candidate at the time of her hire. Sherlock Holmes said:

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

are they related? you’re going off topic.

The sisters caddied for each other on the tours prior to brooke getting on the LPGA tour.  When Brooke became exempt on tour, Brittany became her permanent caddie.  At that point she knew Brookes game, they were friends, and had a supportive relationship and communicated well.   She was also able to rake bunkers, measure yardage, clean clubs, etc.  based on the intangibles and their relationship on the course, I would have considered her very qualified for the job.   Why switch to someone else when you have someone that meets your needs.  People are hired everyday for jobs where people question their qualifications; just like you are doing here.  Hire who you think is best for the job and not based on others opinions.  

I think Spieths caddie is related since you are saying players should hire professional caddies.   He was not a full time caddie when he went on work for Speith.  There is more to hiring someone than what is written on a piece of paper.  

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

The sisters caddied for each other on the tours prior to brooke getting on the LPGA tour.  When Brooke became exempt on tour, Brittany became her permanent caddie.  At that point she knew Brookes game, they were friends, and had a supportive relationship and communicated well.   She was also able to rake bunkers, measure yardage, clean clubs, etc.  based on the intangibles and their relationship on the course, I would have considered her very qualified for the job.   Why switch to someone else when you have someone that meets your needs.  People are hired everyday for jobs where people question their qualifications; just like you are doing here.  Hire who you think is best for the job and not based on others opinions.  

I think Spieths caddie is related since you are saying players should hire professional caddies.   He was not a full time caddie when he went on work for Speith.  There is more to hiring someone than what is written on a piece of paper.  

sounds like we both have our minds made up on this one dude. 🤙🤙🤙 

Edited by ryan.mzzz

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

8 hours ago, ryan.mzzz said:

sounds like we both have our minds made up on this one dude. 🤙🤙🤙 

I have my opinion just trying to understand yours based on things you have stated.

On 8/25/2022 at 2:05 AM, ryan.mzzz said:

What would a “real” caddie have provided that her sister did not or could not?  You feel she would have been a better player based on some skills that a professional caddie provides that a her sister; or non professional caddie, could provide.  I brought up Speith because he didn’t use a professional caddie so you statement should apply to all golfers.  Why can’t you be a serious golfer and use a family member?  

18 hours ago, ryan.mzzz said:

My contention is that it was impossible for Brookes sister to have been the most qualified candidate at the time of her hire.

As I stated, the caddied for each other prior to a Brooke becoming exempt on the LPGA tour.  I don’t know how much you know about the lower tiers of the LPGA, but understanding the life on the Epson tour (Symetra when Brooke and Brittany were playing there) helps support the decision and why she was possibly the most qualified.   Again, you are making a statement with no supporting information and based on your contention you believe Brittany was lacking something that you have yet to clarify.   At what point in your progression in golf do you switch to a “real” caddie.  How are you formulating your opinion? 

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have my opinion just trying to understand yours based on things you have stated.

What would a “real” caddie have provided that her sister did not or could not?  You feel she would have been a better player based on some skills that a professional caddie provides that a her sister; or non professional caddie, could provide.  I brought up Speith because he didn’t use a professional caddie so you statement should apply to all golfers.  Why can’t you be a serious golfer and use a family member?  

As I stated, the caddied for each other prior to a Brooke becoming exempt on the LPGA tour.  I don’t know how much you know about the lower tiers of the LPGA, but understanding the life on the Epson tour (Symetra when Brooke and Brittany were playing there) helps support the decision and why she was possibly the most qualified.   Again, you are making a statement with no supporting information and based on your contention you believe Brittany was lacking something that you have yet to clarify.   At what point in your progression in golf do you switch to a “real” caddie.  How are you formulating your opinion? 

i’m done with this. please refer to the above responses i’ve made. To be clear, I’m against nepotism, as a strategy for success in life. If you disagree, have at it. 

D       ______ Ping G400

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9

I have two friends I've played golf with for a long time.  I know them, and their respective games very, very well.  I've caddied for each of them in tournaments.

And been able to make suggestions based on my knowledge of how they hit what club, what their tendencies are when they don't  hit a shot perfectly, etc.

Both have stated, separately, that my serving as their caddy was very beneficial.

I saw Xander's caddy literally "call him off" a tee shot today and Xander did in fact restart his routine.  Other player's relationships with their caddies are, I'm sure, such that the caddy would never dare engage in that sort of presumptuous behavior.

Point being, if a player felt/feels their caddy is not adding value to the working relationship the player is going to change the relationship or the caddy forthwith.

Stricker's wife, by the way, belongs to one of Wisconsin's well recognized and accomplished golf families; she's been involved in the game her entire life.

I, too, enjoy watching Brooke play and wish her many more years of sustained success.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 2:03 PM, tonyj5 said:

With the LPGA headed for Canada this coming week, I thought this would be a good time for me to do another player profile.

The player I have chosen is Canadian born Brooke Henderson.

Brooke-Henderson-Photo-Ben-Harpring-Wome

womensgolf.com/brooke-henderson-profile

Brooke was one of the ones most impacted by the driver length limit.  She had been playing a 48" driver since she was 15.  So now with the 46" driver, she isn't choking up as much. 

Her Driving Distance average this year 267 is compared to last year at 274 so she has lost about 5 yards (but it should be noted her accuracy is improved 1.5% points) ... but regardless, she is a tremendous driver of the ball... great choice for a profile player @tonyj5, she may not have won at the CP Open, but was definitely the fan favorite!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1