TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing Speed and Ball Choice

tdc1

Saw this today in the online Titleist Golf Ball Fitting & Education pamphlet:  “There are a number of important factors to consider when deciding which golf ball is best for you, but swing speed should not be one of those factors.”  (Emphasis mine)

So many discussions/questions about ball choice here and on other sites seem to start with swing speed.

i have never been through a ball fitting so I’m curious to know if those of y’all that have been through a ball fitting found swing speed to be a non-factor.

Thanks.

Edited by tdc1

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Good post. First and for most it starts 100-150 yards and in. Pick a few balls you like around the green. Then pitch shots. You want something with spin or launch etc…. Then how is it with short and mid irons. As long as your distance on your clubs is what you expect the type of ball doesn’t matter what your swing speed is. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

58 minutes ago, tdc1 said:

Saw this today in the online Titleist Golf Ball Fitting & Education pamphlet:  “There are a number of important factors to consider when deciding which golf ball is best for you, but swing speed should not be one of those factors.”  (Emphasis mine)

So many discussions/questions about ball choice here and on other sites seem to start with swing speed.

i have never been through a ball fitting so I’m curious to know if those of y’all that have been through a ball fitting found swing speed to be a non-factor.

Thanks.

The only time swing speed is really an issue with ball fitting is one of two scenarios:

1) you're a very high swing speed player and playing a very soft ball. For example, someone swinging 120+ is going to over-compress a Callaway Supersoft (or insert any other number of very low compression balls). Any tour-level ball is going to be fine and not at risk of being over-compressed.

2) Low swing speed players may not get the full benefit from a 4-piece ball off their irons. Balls like the 4-piece Z-Star XV in the MGS ball test last year didn't fare quite as well off the 8i compared to 3-piece balls. But every player is different, so don't dismiss a ball immediately just because it's a 4-piece. Titleist says they fit a good number of lower swing speed amateurs into the ProV1x because it gives them a good spin profile.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review