TESTERS WANTED! ×

MacGregor 2010 VIP Wedge (Black)

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

MacGregor VIP Wedge-Black

The MacGregor VIP Wedge is a Tour-quality forged wedge, which combines a classic look and shape with superior spin control and soft feel. Made from soft carbon steel with an advanced, 800-ton forging process, the VIP wedge's tightly compacted grain structure results in beautiful feel and tremendous consistency. The clubface's micro-milled surface optimizes spin control, and with five loft/bounce combinations available, there's one for every shot type you can think of. Its classic clubhead shape looks impressive in your bag and gives you the confidence to make even the most challenging shots. Conforms with Pre-2010 USGA groove rule.*

*Does not conform with 2010 PGA Tour and USGA Championship rules.

Additional Features:

* Dynamic Gold wedge shaft

* Finish: Black PVD Chrome

* Flex: Uniflex

* Grip: Rubber Composition

macgregor-vip-2010-wedge.jpg

#TruthDigest

How can MacGregor (Golfsmith) claim its a "tour quality" wedge if you can't play it on tour?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

How can MacGregor (Golfsmith) claim its a "tour quality" wedge if you can't play it on tour?

I agree that is kind of a Oxymoron .... like Jumbo Shrimp just can't be. LOL

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

It's so sad to see a once vaunted company like MacGregor be reduced to some lowely "gimmicky" house brand.

It's a real shame...some of the stuff they had finally gotten to putting out was very good product.

Hahaha.

It's good to see Golfsmith actually using the MacGregor brand, seems like nothing came out from them for a bit.

I think the wedge looks nice from the back, pretty clean and simple. Any chance of an address picture? I know it says it's a classic shape, but that could mean a number of things.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

NIce offering, silly though because it is non-conforming though.

This and the rest of the Mac line may be targeted at the casual player though. NC is not as big of an issue.

What is the price point of these?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

It's a nice looking wedge, but I don't see how MacGregor won't be lost in the shuffle unless they start offering it as a high end component option in lieu of Snake eyes, etc. That is where I think it can really succeed as a in-house brand and quite honestly that is what I thought Golfsmith was going when they acquired MacGregor.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

This and the rest of the Mac line may be targeted at the casual player though. NC is not as big of an issue.

I'd like to know the price point too. If the quality stays up, but Golfsmith drops the prices to sell more product, this would be a nice "steal" item that most people overlook.

Several of this years wedges are non-conforming. The Mizuno MP T-10, the non C-C Vokeys, those are just off the top of my head.

It's a nice looking wedge, but I don't see how MacGregor won't be lost in the shuffle unless they start offering it as a high end component option in lieu of Snake eyes, etc. That is where I think it can really succeed as a in-house brand and quite honestly that is what I thought Golfsmith was going when they acquired MacGregor.

As a MacGregor fan, I was hoping the same thing -- that they'd at least bought it to establish a high end signature line. Instead, it looks like they are just gonna bastardize the name and put out mass market discount (WalMart/KMart) store crap.

As a MacGregor fan, I was hoping the same thing -- that they'd at least bought it to establish a high end signature line. Instead, it looks like they are just gonna bastardize the name and put out mass market discount (WalMart/KMart) store crap.

That's too bad, they were once a great brand. Even a couple of years ago when Norman used their irons to nearly win the British Open.

If those wedges get to Walmart I will estatic, they will be cheap. I'll be able to stock. It's a pretty nice looking wedge what I can tell out of that picture.

As for not having legal grooves. Who cares, only 5% of the golfing population need the confroming ones for a few years anyway.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

Pricepoint is $99, they ship April 1st

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/MG60/MacGregor/VIP_Wedge-Black

That's a little much for MacGregor.

If those wedges get to Walmart I will estatic, they will be cheap. I'll be able to stock. It's a pretty nice looking wedge what I can tell out of that picture.

As for not having legal grooves. Who cares, only 5% of the golfing population need the confroming ones for a few years anyway.

Probably even less than 5%, closer to

Several of this years wedges are non-conforming. The Mizuno MP T-10, the non C-C Vokeys, those are just off the top of my head.

New Callaway wedges, Jaws are also non conforming, the ones in the stores at least. Really no reason to have conforming wedges in stores right now as no one buying clubs there need to have them. Those that need them get them straight from the OEM The rest of us have 14 more years before we need to worry about that.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

I wasn't saying you'd see them at those places....just that it looks like that's the caliber of what they're gonna do with the brand.

I wasn't saying you'd see them at those places....just that it looks like that's the caliber of what they're gonna do with the brand.

To bad they aren't in WalMart, the price would be great.

• SPY VIP

Pricepoint is $99, they ship April 1st

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/MG60/MacGregor/VIP_Wedge-Black

How does this get done? That price is suicidal for them. How can they hope to compete with the cheaper offerings from Cleveland and others? Very poor decision on pricing.

The wedges only come with loft options, not bounce. Someone paying $100 for a wedge wants the options. Scratch can get you a whole lot more wedge for the same cost.

At $50 they could have sold. I don't think these will go at all.

I can see rockbottom having them for $75 a set. If Golfsmith doesn't blow them out first.

Volvo Intorqueo

How does this get done? That price is suicidal for them. How can they hope to compete with the cheaper offerings from Cleveland and others? Very poor decision on pricing.

The wedges only come with loft options, not bounce. Someone paying $100 for a wedge wants the options. Scratch can get you a whole lot more wedge for the same cost.

I can see rockbottom having them for $75 a set. If Golfsmith doesn't blow them out first.

As I scrolled down, I was thinking the exact same thing. "Hmm...store brand wedge or Scratch/Mizuno/Titleist/Cleveland wedge" I guess the thought might be that if they price them too low, they will be seen as cheap and crappy wedges (and no one knows whether they are or not, unless someone has hit them). Perhaps they're going to put a real marketing campaign behind them and try to reestablish the MacGregor brand.

• SPY VIP

As I scrolled down, I was thinking the exact same thing. "Hmm...store brand wedge or Scratch/Mizuno/Titleist/Cleveland wedge" I guess the thought might be that if they price them too low, they will be seen as cheap and crappy wedges (and no one knows whether they are or not, unless someone has hit them). Perhaps they're going to put a real marketing campaign behind them and try to reestablish the MacGregor brand.

Maybe, but even with marketing pricing them that close to Vokeys? Which are you taking home from the shop?

Volvo Intorqueo

Maybe, but even with marketing pricing them that close to Vokeys? Which are you taking home from the shop?

I still don't think it's smart, I was just trying to offer an alternate way of thinking about it. Perhaps they're hoping to connect with an older segment of the golfing population that remembers MacGregor as a premium brand? There are just way too many excellent wedges available for $100 right now - great for the consumer, tough on someone introducing a new product.

• SPY VIP

I still don't think it's smart, I was just trying to offer an alternate way of thinking about it. Perhaps they're hoping to connect with an older segment of the golfing population that remembers MacGregor as a premium brand? There are just way too many excellent wedges available for $100 right now - great for the consumer, tough on someone introducing a new product.

Maybe, but nostalgia is not a common theme in golf equipment shopping. NEW NEW NEW IMPROVED ADJUSTABLE COMES WITH ZOLEX...

I guess it is wait and see at this point. I am just happy my paycheck is not connected to their sales.

Volvo Intorqueo

Maybe, but nostalgia is not a common theme in golf equipment shopping. NEW NEW NEW IMPROVED ADJUSTABLE COMES WITH ZOLEX...

I guess it is wait and see at this point. I am just happy my paycheck is not connected to their sales.

You make a good point, not many ad campaigns are built on nostalgia. I suppose the only exception to that is golfers irrational love of blades. Then again, what is the line between nostalgia and tradition? Golf is a game about tradition. Maybe they could work that in somehow.

I, too, am happy to be a non-stockholder in Golfsmith.

Bottom line, that it's a nice looking wedge, it's got a name brand (lets face it, the majority of golfer's don't know MacG went under), if the line was priced at $79, I think they'd have a winner. $99, they have some serious competition.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I'd buy them in a heartbeat for $50, maybe for 75$. Charging $100 would really be a mistake.

• SPY VIP

I'd buy them in a heartbeat for $50, maybe for 75$. Charging $100 would really be a mistake.

So if they were $50, you would bag these and drop the Vokey and the Mizuno wedges that are currently in your bag. I would love to hear the reasons why you think these are better wedges than your current ones.

Volvo Intorqueo

So if they were $50, you would bag these and drop the Vokey and the Mizuno wedges that are currently in your bag. I would love to hear the reasons why you think these are better wedges than your current ones.

Ground By Don White???

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

??? Don White works for Scratch now.

Maybe he moonlights for Golfsmith....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived