TESTERS WANTED! ×

MacGregor 2010 VIP Wedge (Black)

GolfSpy_X

I'm not I'd drop my other wedges for the MacG's, but if they were $75. I'd at least pick one up to try. Worst comes to worst, you hate you sell it for $50. But at $100, most people aren't going to buy an un-trusted club when the most recognisable wedge brands in the world are only $20 more.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

I'm not I'd drop my other wedges for the MacG's, but if they were $75. I'd at least pick one up to try. Worst comes to worst, you hate you sell it for $50. But at $100, most people aren't going to buy an un-trusted club when the most recognisable wedge brands in the world are only $20 more.

I would almost never pay more than $110 for a wedge. EVER. If you think about what it costs for a set of golf clubs, most sets are less than $800 for 8 clubs, so why are the wedges more than the set clubs??? hmmmm??

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Well retail on Vokeys is $120, so you can always pick them up cheaper. But thats make's the whole arguement doesn't it. If your going to pay $110 max for a wedge. Are you getting a MacG that you have no idea on how it performs or just take home the Vokey that you know will work.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

So if they were $50, you would bag these and drop the Vokey and the Mizuno wedges that are currently in your bag. I would love to hear the reasons why you think these are better wedges than your current ones.

The Mizuno is very beat up and the grooves are worn down, and if I could get a solid replacement for $50, I would do it rather than paying $120 for a Vokey. Money is a tad tight right now.

I would almost never pay more than $110 for a wedge. EVER. If you think about what it costs for a set of golf clubs, most sets are less than $800 for 8 clubs, so why are the wedges more than the set clubs??? hmmmm??

I'd never thought about it like that, but it's a fair point. I suppose the wedge manufacturers would argue that you use your wedges more (full shots + chips, pitches, bunkers) and that they are more important for scoring. I think if you watch for sales, you can get just about any wedge you want for $100.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I'd never thought about it like that, but it's a fair point. I suppose the wedge manufacturers would argue that you use your wedges more (full shots + chips, pitches, bunkers) and that they are more important for scoring. I think if you watch for sales, you can get just about any wedge you want for $100.

Versatility in a wedge to me = scratch, not macgreggor/golfsmith though...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Versatility in a wedge to me = scratch, not macgreggor/golfsmith though...

I totally agree, Scratch is king for offering all the grinds that they do.

I was not making my point about $100 in defense on the MacGregor pricing, it was just about wedges in general and why they cost as much/more than irons.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

The Mizuno is very beat up and the grooves are worn down, and if I could get a solid replacement for $50, I would do it rather than paying $120 for a Vokey. Money is a tad tight right now.

I understand. I can say from experience of buying "deal" clubs though that it is usually better to save up the money to buy the one you really want rather than spending what you have on one that will "due". Especially if it is a difference of only $50 to get a well respected and heavily played/tested club.

(Putters, I am looking at some of you here... Go live in the garage where you belong.)

Volvo Intorqueo

For me, wedges are just bastard cousins of putters....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I understand. I can say from experience of buying "deal" clubs though that it is usually better to save up the money to buy the one you really want rather than spending what you have on one that will "due". Especially if it is a difference of only $50 to get a well respected and heavily played/tested club.

(Putters, I am looking at some of you here... Go live in the garage where you belong.)

Usually I'd agree with you, but I've actually had good luck with bargain basement wedges. I couple of years ago I bought a Nike SV (an older chrome one, not the brushed metal looking newer SV Tour model) that was possibly the best wedge I have ever had. Great spin, great durability, and only $25. If I could replace my Mizuno with it I would do it again.

• SPY VIP

Usually I'd agree with you, but I've actually had good luck with bargain basement wedges. I couple of years ago I bought a Nike SV (an older chrome one, not the brushed metal looking newer SV Tour model) that was possibly the best wedge I have ever had. Great spin, great durability, and only $25. If I could replace my Mizuno with it I would do it again.

Totally right. Good used stuff tweaks the economic model. good find

Volvo Intorqueo

I'm pretty sure if someone came to us and wanted to play these on tour we could get them some conforming groove versions in what ever loft and bounce they need. We just might need a month or two for them to get produced at the factory and checked by the USGA.

I don't think CoC wedges are in high demand at retail right now.

Golfsmith - Proprietary Graphic Designer

What's in my Bag?

A good set of irons fit for you could put you close to the flag from farther away. Every club in the bag is important, if you're good enough. The rest of us work with the wedges because we miss the greens too often and you really need to stick that next shot to save the score.

Shambles

Archived