Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

3 similar shafts, 1 big test

therod

So I have 3 shafts for my TSI3. The white Tensei that came with it, a Graman Limey 540 and a white Evenflow, the last 2 I bought on the cheap. They should be similar, but I don't know which one is the longest. No better way to find out than to take all 3 to the course and hit a dozen balls from the same tee. My hunch is whichever of the 3 creates the highest trajectory will be the longest. I played a low bend point shaft for years because I felt I needed all the help I could get hitting a higher ball, and I felt like a higher ball would be a longer ball. The fitter I worked with at the nearest PGA Superstore was confident a higher bend point shaft fit my swing better. I haven't played enough golf this year to get a really good feel for whether he's right or not. So hopefully tomorrow, I'll confirm it one way or the other. 

So I just got home from my little shaft test. Played the 1st 6 holes at the local muni with the Tensei shaft in the driver, just because that was the last shaft I had in it hitting balls into the net in my back yard. When I got to the 7th tee, the 3 sleeves of ProV1s each marked with whichever shaft I was going to use for each sleeve came out. 3 sleeves of ProV1s, 9 tee balls, 6 of which were in the fairway (it's a wide fairway...) led me to a logical solution. I could game any 1 of the three. Of the balls that were hit the absolute best, there wasn't 5 yards difference in the 3. The longest of the 3, literally by 5-6 feet, was the white Evenflow. It was also, by a very narrow margin, the highest  trajectory of the 3. Like I said, I could game any of the 3 any time. And if the shafts weren't marked, I could hit all 3 and not know the difference. Incredibly similar flights and trajectories. There's a part of me that still wants to try a Ventus. Eventually, maybe, if I get a little cash for my birthday. Then again, I'd also like to try a more forgiving driver just because I think every little bit helps. I don't know how much more, if very much at all, the TSI2 is compared to the TSI3. And I know for reality's sake, it's not REALLY worth it considering the differences between the 2. The fittter at the PGA SS didn't have me hit the 2, only the 3. It was the club I had in my hands when the fitting session started, and other than swapping shafts and trying a few shafts, I didn't hit anything else. Am I disappointed? No, I know I have a quality stick. I just like to tinker and look at other options. We'll see. I'm happy with my TSI3, and will be playing it with a white Evenflow for the foreseeable future.

Pretty much what I’ve been saying about shafts.

As for forgiveness you need to describe what that means really.

Lets take the g425 max, one of the most forgiving drivers on the market. It usually has some higher spin compared to other drivers by design. Someone that generates high spin is going to find that driver less forgiving than one that has a lower spin design.

Forgiveness comes from how well the driver and shaft combo fits your swing and optimizes ball flight.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Good point. I'm shorter than the average bear. About 5'6" and my arms and legs are naturally shorter as well. I don't like longer clubs for the same reason. My driver is 44" because that's what I like and am comfortable with. I am using a higher bend point shaft that can handle my transition at the top. Naturally, that results in a lower flight. And because I don't play as much golf as I used to, I don't hit it quite as well. My miss is usually a hook, mostly because I can get too quick at the top, the club gets flipped closed, and the club is already closed before impact. And my miss tends to be out on the toe. The result is a lower ball flight favoring the right side of the fairway. I also have a naturally flat swing and thus a lower ball flight. I'm a low trajectory, low spin guy. That's just my swing. But it works.