TESTERS WANTED! ×

Modifying Bend

bagadonitz

I putt with a Spider X face balanced single bend putter.  I consider myself a really good putter.  I don't sink many long ones and that is never the goal.  I try and lag it to tap in range and have been successful at that.  When my irons and scrambling are on a good day I'm generally upset with a 26+ putt day.

Over time I've developed a very slight arc.

I'm wondering if there is any way to bend a single bend shaft without wrecking it to get a tiny bit of toe hang?

20 minutes ago, bagadonitz said:

I putt with a Spider X face balanced single bend putter.  I consider myself a really good putter.  I don't sink many long ones and that is never the goal.  I try and lag it to tap in range and have been successful at that.  When my irons and scrambling are on a good day I'm generally upset with a 26+ putt day.

Over time I've developed a very slight arc.

I'm wondering if there is any way to bend a single bend shaft without wrecking it to get a tiny bit of toe hang?

if you are mad at a 26 putt day either you miss every green or you are a tour level putter.  Based on that don’t change your putter.   

Believe it or not all putting paths arc to some degree unless you manipulate something to prevent the arc.   

Face balance. Is achieved by having the shaft intersect the head near the center.  You can see this on your putter by stretching a string down the shaft and see where it intersects the head.    If you make a putter more upright in lie angle you may be able to add some toe hang.  You could also tip trim the shaft to move the intersection point toward the heel of the putter. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks.  I'll keep what you said in mind.  More upright appeals to me in general as I like my eyes ever so slightly inside the ball and I don't like having to bend so much to get there.

Yes, I miss every green, and multiple times.  Scrambling is ok, but there are bad days there as well.  Out of the tee box and approach is downright pathetic.  I can't get the ball in the air and fighting a snap hook through the bag.

Putting is never a problem with only very occasional 3 putts, usually when the pin is jammed in the middle of a McKenzie.  Maybe 26 is an exaggeration, but generally the apps are showing about 1.65 per hole over the last several years.  I changed a grip at the beginning of the year and that started going up.  Went back to the old grip and it is trending down again.  I don't count fringe putts as putts of course and often get to 1 putt range from those fringe attempts.  I rarely miss from 4-8 foot range.  My problem putts are 2-4 feet when I always miss right regardless of the read/break. 

Does missing from such a short range, putting well from longer range give any insight coupled with a face balanced putter with very slight arc?  Some of my playing partners have suggested that since I'm so good at lagging from medium to long distance that I'm trying too hard to drip in the short ones when I would be better off just trying to drill them into the hole from that range.  Standing more upright and doing that helps but I always unconsciously fall back into the same problem.

6 minutes ago, bagadonitz said:

Does missing from such a short range, putting well from longer range give any insight coupled with a face balanced putter with very slight arc?  Some of my playing partners have suggested that since I'm so good at lagging from medium to long distance that I'm trying too hard to drip in the short ones when I would be better off just trying to drill them into the hole from that range.  Standing more upright and doing that helps but I always unconsciously fall back into the same problem.

My opinion is that from that distance you start to drill them home with a little more speed to eliminate break.  My instructor pointed out that if I am missing them with what I am doing now, I’d be better off hitting it harder to eliminate my overhead of break.  I personally miss right with face balance putters; they don’t want to rotate closed during the stroke so I have a tendency to push the putt 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG