TESTERS WANTED! ×

Face On Putters

ole gray

Has anyone had experience with a Face On style putter?   The GP Putter is one that I have stumbled on and it's intriguing to say the least. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

Has anyone had experience with a Face On style putter?   The GP Putter is one that I have stumbled on and it's intriguing to say the least. 

One guy at my club has a putter like this; not sure if it's a GP Putter or not.  He is quite good with it.  

I've tried longer putters but it seems like the further away my hands get from the ball, the worse I am at hitting the ball square.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm going to try one of these out this weekend 😉1ACE042B-7EB1-4507-ABAB-6CC2A45013A0.jpeg.1c4d9422bb877c9c45ac2bb223e8e368.jpeg

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

One guy at my club has a putter like this; not sure if it's a GP Putter or not.  He is quite good with it.  

I've tried longer putters but it seems like the further away my hands get from the ball, the worse I am at hitting the ball square.  

I'm already using the side saddle method with a putter one of my friends provided me.  It's not the long version such as the GP putter but one he designed.  He took a chest putter and cut it down .  He has several of them at home and with this style of putting he is one of the best putters at our club. Deadly on putts 5 foot and in.   You rarely see him miss one. 

I am seriously  considering ordering one and if I do, I will do a full review on it including videos along with ongoing results. 

Cleveland

11 hours ago, Samsonite said:

I'm going to try one of these out this weekend 😉1ACE042B-7EB1-4507-ABAB-6CC2A45013A0.jpeg.1c4d9422bb877c9c45ac2bb223e8e368.jpeg

Looks like you have a set of one length face on putters. 🤣

Cleveland

💣 Just ordered the Face on GP Putter × 1

• Hand:

Right handed

• Size:

49 inches long if your height is 6’0″ or 6’1″ and 182 cm to 186 cm

Cleveland

Intrigued to see how this one works out for you Ole Gray!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

5 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Intrigued to see how this one works out for you Ole Gray!

Yea I'm gaining confidence with the cut down version my friend let me try. I'm having a some solid success with it too especially with the short putts. 
The only problem is it's 33 inches and I'm 6'2" tall.  With that said It has very heavy head as it was modified from a chest putter and easy to put a pendulum stroke on the putt. 

Dayummmmmmm   I just ordered it and now received a confirmation  in my email that it has shipped USPS Priority (1-3 Days)! It's coming from Raleigh, NC so no doubt they can shoot it on down to Georgia quicker than a momma sow can wipe out a trough of corn.   

Cleveland

Really intrigued what your thoughts are - I will say the demo of the guy draining 9/10 from 10-ish feet was pretty spectacular. Following along to see your experience!

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

1 minute ago, Samsonite said:

Really intrigued what your thoughts are - I will say the demo of the guy draining 9/10 from 10-ish feet was pretty spectacular. Following along to see your experience!

Yea I will post several videos from right after I receive it to having it for several weeks.  Plus I'll document my putts per round to include stats on 3 putts, issues with long distance lag control etc. 

Cleveland

We use to have a guy that putted sidesaddle on our league. As best I can remember, it was more of a standard length putter.

I have never heard of this putter, so I went to there website to check it out. They even have sidesaddle chippers, please tell me you bought the chipper as well!

Driver: :cobra-small: LTDx
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 6-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   
bloodline(2).png.8f7245797de1f39b93a647d0292c1b2b.png Vale
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

One of the guys I play with regularly had a side saddle putter and swore by it for at least 6 months. Then one day he showed up with a conventional putter, when I asked him what happened, he said putting side saddle went cold completely - line was still good (as expected) but pace was all over the place for him. Not sure we'll ever see that side saddle putter again, and he certainly gave it plenty of time before giving up on it. But I am sure they work well for some...just no one I know (anymore).

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

1 hour ago, Parshooter36 said:

We use to have a guy that putted sidesaddle on our league. As best I can remember, it was more of a standard length putter.

I have never heard of this putter, so I went to there website to check it out. They even have sidesaddle chippers, please tell me you bought the chipper as well!

I'm actually chipping pretty well so I wasn't interested in those wedges. As least not now 😉

Cleveland

17 minutes ago, Middler said:

One of the guys I play with regularly had a side saddle putter and swore by it for at least 6 months. Then one day he showed up with a conventional putter, when I asked him what happened, he said putting side saddle went cold completely - line was still good (as expected) but pace was all over the place for him. Not sure we'll ever see that side saddle putter again, and he certainly gave it plenty of time before giving up on it. But I am sure they work well for some...just no one I know (anymore).

The guy at our club who putts side saddle said he had no choice but to stay with it. He has the yips so bad he can't putt with a conventional putter. He hasn't owned one in years.  I have the yips myself as occasionally my hands go off like a teenager on prom night. The main thing I will be focusing on is the longer lag putts.  That could be a low note on the performance scale.  We'll see!

Cleveland

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

I'm actually chipping pretty well so I wasn't interested in those wedges. As least not now 😉

I'm just messing with you. I didn't even know face on chipping was a thing, it never would have occured to me to even try it. I love out of the box thinking though, so don't think I won't try it at some point.

Driver: :cobra-small: LTDx
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 6-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   
bloodline(2).png.8f7245797de1f39b93a647d0292c1b2b.png Vale
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

1 hour ago, Parshooter36 said:

I'm just messing with you. I didn't even know face on chipping was a thing, it never would have occured to me to even try it. I love out of the box thinking though, so don't think I won't try it at some point.

I'm like you, if it works get er done! 

Cleveland

Ok I tried this putter during my round today and OMG I have never putter so miserably awful in my life! It will take several trips to our practice green before I can remotely come close to gaining confidence with it.  I tried to mimic the company's owner and failed horribly.  So with that said, I will open a thread on the unofficial review category and see how this putter pans out. For now, I suck like an electrolux  vacuum cleaner on steroids. 

Cleveland

About 20 years ago I used to putt side saddle on short putts.  It certainly promoted the straight back/straight forward stroke and I made more than I missed.  However, I had difficulty with distance control on longer putts.  So, I ended up putting side saddle for putts about 8 ft and in and a conventional putting stroke 10 ft and longer.  

Finally, after enough ridicule from my wife ("you look like a dork!") and playing partners I migrated to cross hand putting and never looked back.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

41 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

About 20 years ago I used to putt side saddle on short putts.  It certainly promoted the straight back/straight forward stroke and I made more than I missed.  However, I had difficulty with distance control on longer putts.  So, I ended up putting side saddle for putts about 8 ft and in and a conventional putting stroke 10 ft and longer.  

Finally, after enough ridicule from my wife ("you look like a dork!") and playing partners I migrated to cross hand putting and never looked back.  

I will definitely have my regular putter in the bag tomorrow and leave the face on for the practice green.  The face on is a challenge to me now so I will become proficient with it over time.  I'm not going to rush it as today was a shat show.... I'm blaming today's failure totally on me.   Zero correct technique at fault. 

Cleveland

I watched the video again and saw a huge error in my setup!  I was placing the ball in the middle of my right foot whereas it's suppose to be out in front of your body.  Dayummmm no wonder I was screwing up sooooooooo bad!   I will practice with it on our putting green this morning to see how the correct setup works.  I'm such a dummy at times. 🤪

https://vimeo.com/user10695938

Cleveland

To be fair to yourself, using something on-course for the first time, ever, can be a bit of a challenge, regardless of whether or not it's a completely foreign set-up . That being said, I'm super curious to see how you get on with it now that you've got the ball in the correct position, and after some practice.  The demo is no joke - but then, every demo is impressive or they wouldn't sell any clubs at all 🙂

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

I know a few guys who putt great with the face-on style. I actually have a generic brand that's 42.5" in length, in great shape with a split grip (Tacki-mac)

I would be willing to sell it for $50 + actual shipping and will throw in a really cool Craftsman Golf Joker headcover for an additional $10.

I can text or email pictures if you're interested.

Hop over to my unofficial review if you are interested to know more of my thoughts on this putter at:   

Cleveland

Yesterday I was trying to putt from off the green with this thing.   It's about as useless as tits on a boar hawg  from off the green !   Soooooooo  no doubt I would putt better with a hybrid or 5 iron when just off the green. 

Cleveland