Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

In For Review! - Cobra AMP Driver

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

In For Review! - Cobra AMP Driver

Waiting for a couple more samples to come in before we get started on this one, but I do expect we'll be fully reviewing Rickie Fowler's driver, the Cobra AMP. If you read our recent review of the ZL Encore you saw a driver that offers outstanding performance, but that perhaps aesthetically didn't quite turn our tester's heads. Though some may not agree, I think this one looks infinitely better than the ZL Encore.

I haven't hit this one yet, so I can't comment on any aspect of performance (I may hit it tonight), but visually it's pretty distinct from anything else out there. Rickie Fowler's Sunday orange was clearly the inspiration here. It's evident on the sole plate, as well as the grip, and accents on the shafts. Unlike the Adam silver, the AMP crown has a little bit of gloss to it, and is reflective (though not to the extent of your average black driver). The grip is a bright orange Lamkin R.E.L. 3-Gen, and if you've seen my irons, you'll no doubt understand why I love it.

The silver 55 gram Aldila RIP is a matte silver that blends to black at the tip. The grip, shaft, head combination is positively brilliant visually. I'm not sold on the 55gram shaft, and according to Cobra's own shaft chart, it should produce more than an average amount of spin.

Headcover is Cobra Knit...similar to what shipped with Long Tom.

Please reply with any questions, or let me know if there are angles I missed that you'd like to see.

AmpDriver.jpg

AmpDriver-2.jpg

AmpDriver-3.jpg

AmpDriver-4.jpg

AmpDriver-5.jpg

AmpDriver-6.jpg

AmpDriver-7.jpg

AmpDriver-8.jpg

AmpDriver-9.jpg

AmpDriver-10.jpg

AmpDriver-11.jpg

AmpDriver-12.jpg

AmpDriver-13.jpg

AmpDriver-14.jpg

AmpDriver-15.jpg

AmpDriver-16.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Not a fan of the Cobra AMP logo, but the combination of orange, gray and black face is pretty cool!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I like this one much more then the ZLE. The muted grey looks great and I found it to be quite a bit less spinny right from the gates. Not a huge fan of the RIP but I can see some people loving it.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

wow i dont think id fall in love with this club even aft a 6 pack n a few shots of whisky.

that being said i wont be surprised if some old guys at my club gna buy this club and then hit it on a 150 m par 3

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

• 2 weeks later...

I dont get Cobra right now... Where are they going in the market now ? Are they going for the young audience or are they keeping with senior ?

AMP look cool in my opinion of 31yo golfer... Weak shaft look NOT cool...

anyway, i don't even get the difference between AMP and ZL encore... two weak shaft ! no one seems like a tour head...

and don't speak to me about AMP hybrid with its offset... beurkkkk!

I have to admit apart from the TM RBZ this was the one other Driver I am looking forward to hitting. It will be interesting to see if it is a perfect match for Rickie Fowler, all show and no end product (at the moment, just my opinion)

Agree with da555ve, not sure what market Cobra are after with this surely the younger market is to small for a company of Cobra's size to try to dominate ?

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

Stuart, If I had a look at the younger market, I would have put a beefier shaft on it... If not, add a tour version with a good shaft!

Even if i'm not a fan, I have to give TM that. When they sell woods for good players (good player usualy are longer hitter with higher SS), they had a great shaft to it. For senior, they are also having good product with good shaft.

The AMP is probably an awesome head...

Da555ve

Exactly so where does this leave this Driver, are they in fact hoping that better golfers want the club but will want an up-graded shaft meaning spending more money?

Stuart

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

i went for the demo yesterday and i couldnt tell apart the feel of this driver and the ZL encore. but the difference in price is almost 200 dollars.

i tried 10.5 ,9.5 in the ZL and maybe the stock shaft is a bit too watered down my friend said it looked lk my ball was "hanging on a string dangling in the sky" i gathered he meant it was launching high and just having a bit too much airtime instead of penetrating forward. because they didnt have any aftermarket shafts the guy suggested i try the AMP but in an 8.5 loft.

i have never hit an 8.5 before, and i thought to myself this is gonna be one of those embarrassing 200 yard dipping driver shots, but to my amazement on my first shot the ball had plenty of forward flight and even when it flew past the 250 sign it was still carrying and ended up flying over the back net.

i hit a couple off the bottom to just try out the " dual Roll" and theres a slight improvement in spin because the flight instead of just ballooning it was still flying forward. and touched the back net. the AMP is pretty forgiving as they claim. the shaft feels pretty ok too even if it was a watered down RIP maybe because of the lower loft i was hitting it couterbalanced the high launch shaft. The head is definitely excellent,the elliptical sweet spot works- its jst the shaft that is crappy.

the conclusion is the AMP is a good forgiving driver head, couldnt tell much difference between the feel of the AMP n the ZL encore especially the Encore has a whippy F1 shaft. COuldnt care less for the looks, but id be interested to try it again in a better shaft.

P.S forgot to mention the sound of both drivers, both the Encore n AMP doesn have the ugly crack that the Speed LD has anymore. IF anything they sound pretty ok to me and even better than Nike. THe Encore has a more muted sound than the R11.

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

The orange may appeal to the seniors out there. My club recently got a bunch of blaze orange pullover light weight jackets. I do not know exactlly what they are called, but I bought one of the tan ones last year with our country club logo. This year they got these blaze orange and I thought who in the heck will buy these. This morning I went out early to the bank and other places and came back to join the 10 am group, anyone there at 10 am is divided onto a team. This is usually earlier than I can go because of that pesky job but today I made it and when I rounded the corner there were 5 of these over 70 guys wearing these blaze orange pullovers standing around the 10th green. It looked like a highway department crew that had gotten lost.

I asked them later if they started wearing them because that way they could keep for running over each other with the cart and I can not tell you their response with out getting reported to the big MyGolfSpy monitor, but there were some hand movements to ensure I received the message.

The point is I do not think they will have a problem with the bright orange. Maybe they can make the wedges the same color because every day I see one of them going back to get their wedge they left at the previous hole.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

The orange may appeal to the seniors out there. My club recently got a bunch of blaze orange pullover light weight jackets. I do not know exactlly what they are called, but I bought one of the tan ones last year with our country club logo. This year they got these blaze orange and I thought who in the heck will buy these. This morning I went out early to the bank and other places and came back to join the 10 am group, anyone there at 10 am is divided onto a team. This is usually earlier than I can go because of that pesky job but today I made it and when I rounded the corner there were 5 of these over 70 guys wearing these blaze orange pullovers standing around the 10th green. It looked like a highway department crew that had gotten lost.

I asked them later if they started wearing them because that way they could keep for running over each other with the cart and I can not tell you their response with out getting reported to the big MyGolfSpy monitor, but there were some hand movements to ensure I received the message.

The point is I do not think they will have a problem with the bright orange. Maybe they can make the wedges the same color because every day I see one of them going back to get their wedge they left at the previous hole.

RR they ald make the AMP irons butt ugly. its like a cheap looking beginners set. saw a few guys try it out yesterday tho - john daly crowd and a few old dudes over 50

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Da555ve

Exactly so where does this leave this Driver, are they in fact hoping that better golfers want the club but will want an up-graded shaft meaning spending more money?

Stuart

Don't know... One thing I have to give to Cobra, it's that they customized their driver depending of the loft. X-stiff model in 8,5* had a better shaft overall. I have the RIP shaft on my TMR9SD in 75gr version, really like it. Don't know if the 65gr will be strong enough..

RR - john daly crowd and a few old dudes over 50

Ouch, you are striking a little close to home with this word choice. :D

At 47 in two months I am not sure I love being an "old dude over 50" but I guess that is better than the alternative, a dead dude, but not quite 50. :D Everybody learns by their 45th birthday that old dudes are 70 and above.

I really thought that the would appeal just to the younger crowd, now I am not sure what these OLD men would like. Of if they would even cared.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

im really confused about one thing with AMP driver, the 8,5*loft is presented with a SW of D7. If im right with my understanding of my sw chart, that would mean a head of 210 grams... Seams like a tour head from Cobra that will be cut at 44" or 44,5" by pros...

More the loft is high, lighter seems the head... interesting idea !

Too bad they didn't produce something like that with the FW that seems really "vanilla"

RR they ald make the AMP irons butt ugly. its like a cheap looking beginners set. saw a few guys try it out yesterday tho - john daly crowd and a few old dudes over 50

I couldn't put it into words why I couldn't bring myself to like the AMP series, but I think you've got it right. The entire series does look like a beginner set. Change the orange to pink and you probably couldn't even distinguish it from other complete sets.

Absolutely the best driver ive hit in several years. I have hit many of the newer drivers lately, and this is my winner. I will be gaming this one sooner than later.

Go Pokes!!!

Driver- Cobra Amp 9.5 Stiff

3W- Cobra S3

5W- Cobra S3

3H 4-GW- Cobra S3

52° & 60° Vokey Wedges

Cobra Putter

Pure Grips top to bottom

Swingin' Pete Marker/Orange & Black Tees

When I first saw pictures of these I was not really a fan. The orange grip was something that turned me off, but that's a quick fix. I thought the performance of this driver was solid. Seemed to be plenty of forgiveness. As someone who misses out on the toe it seemed to work for me. It's on my ponder list.

• SPY VIP

When I first saw pictures of these I was not really a fan. The orange grip was something that turned me off, but that's a quick fix. I thought the performance of this driver was solid. Seemed to be plenty of forgiveness. As someone who misses out on the toe it seemed to work for me. It's on my ponder list.

I'm still waiting on a couple more samples from Cobra before we can start fully testing. As noted here, the shaft is probably going to be an issue for some, but having taken a few swings with it, I do like the sound and feel quite a bit.

Also...I LOVE the Orange grip.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

I'm still waiting on a couple more samples from Cobra before we can start fully testing. As noted here, the shaft is probably going to be an issue for some, but having taken a few swings with it, I do like the sound and feel quite a bit.

I like the grip itself, but the color just adds a little too much for my liking. The other thing that helps the selling point of this driver is that you can get the adapters for it on golfworks. Doesn't look like Nike VRS will have that option.

• SPY VIP

I like the grip itself, but the color just adds a little too much for my liking. The other thing that helps the selling point of this driver is that you can get the adapters for it on golfworks. Doesn't look like Nike VRS will have that option.

It's probably only a matter of time before Golfworks develops adapters for the VRS. It's a brand new system for Nike, so it may take a little bit of time. The same is likely true for Callaway's system as well. But again...kudos to TaylorMade for simply making their own adapters available.

It's probably only a matter of time before Golfworks develops adapters for the VRS. It's a brand new system for Nike, so it may take a little bit of time. The same is likely true for Callaway's system as well. But again...kudos to TaylorMade for simply making their own adapters available.

yup! I have had a supertri for a while now and then got my dad to grab an R9 460. Makes it much easier to reshaft. Titleist surefit adapters are on golfworks now too. I have a J40 445 on the way so I may not dive in to a different driver just yet, but this is one I'm keeping an eye on.

Ouch, you are striking a little close to home with this word choice. :D

At 47 in two months I am not sure I love being an "old dude over 50" but I guess that is better than the alternative, a dead dude, but not quite 50. :D Everybody learns by their 45th birthday that old dudes are 70 and above.

I really thought that the would appeal just to the younger crowd, now I am not sure what these OLD men would like. Of if they would even cared.

sorry RR didnt mean it as an insult lol. at 25 years old i am an old dude to high sch kids too. i just consider people ard my dads age an "old dude" maybe i shd rephrase and say they appeal to the players of the champions tour of the amateur world. my dad has no problems using Cobra clubs, he doesn care for the clank or the huge head all he cares is that he can now get a few extra yards off the tee now. and i guess that pretty much sums up why cobra appeals to the seniors

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

yes T the shaft is definitely a problem, the ball just wants to head up and not forward. if a real rip shaft goes in there i think this combo is a winner.

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

• 2 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

Any update on testing with this?

Crickets... Cobra was supposed to get the remainder of my testing samples out to me. I haven't received them yet, and this post was a nice little reminder that I need to figure out what happened to them.

Crickets... Cobra was supposed to get the remainder of my testing samples out to me. I haven't received them yet, and this post was a nice little reminder that I need to figure out what happened to them.

glad I could help

Archived