Why the RBZ fairway is long

Our Sponsors

I tried searching for a fairway wood that has a 17-4 steel face and max cor and couldn't find one, and there are a LOT of max cor fairway woods out there.

I did find this interesting description from a Golfsmith fairway:

Golfsmith HI-COR Fairway Head: This HI-COR Fairway Head takes the original HI-COR concept and expands on it with its unique shape and rearward crown step design. The large sole keeps the CG (center of gravity) low, yet the sole radius provides good relief from the turf and places well from a variety of lie conditions. The face of the HI-COR is 15-7 stainless steel, giving a firm, strong face that is only 2.2mm. Most steel fairway woods have a 17-4 steel face that is 30% thicker. By crafting the face from 15-7 steel, mass can be placed in the rear portion of the body to provide optimal launch. .350 deg bore provides maximum stability at impact. Download HI-COR Fairway Wood Clubhead Specs (174 KB)

http://reviews.golfsmith.com/8567/G3441/hi-cor-fairway-head-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=helpfulness

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried searching for a fairway wood that has a 17-4 steel face and max cor and couldn't find one, and there are a LOT of max cor fairway woods out there.

I did find this interesting description from a Golfsmith fairway:

http://reviews.golfs...ort=helpfulness

I have these fairway woods. I have a Driver, 3 and 5 woods. I have not played with them since 2004, when I started plalying with the 980F's I have a 13 and 17 in these. The Golfsmith's were really easy to hit and went a long way, but I left them in favor of the Titleists because of a much lower ball flight. If you play in wind you want a low ball flight with your woods or you spend a lot of time looking for balls. The accuracy is much better with the Titleists but they do have a bit shorter shaft.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I have these fairway woods. I have a Driver, 3 and 5 woods. I have not played with them since 2004, when I started plalying with the 980F's I have a 13 and 17 in these. The Golfsmith's were really easy to hit and went a long way, but I left them in favor of the Titleists because of a much lower ball flight. If you play in wind you want a low ball flight with your woods or you spend a lot of time looking for balls. The accuracy is much better with the Titleists but they do have a bit shorter shaft.

It sounds a lot like Taylormade copied the Titleist design for low ball flight by placing the CG more towards the center of the club with the RBZ in order to lower ball flight. Almost every other fairway or hybrid I saw with high COR was more back weighted to help get the ball in the air. This is probably why it's marketed towards "better players".

Well the RBZ looks to be twice the size of a 980F, and from the time I hit it the RBZ is twice as forgiving as the 980F. No but it took a lot of practice to learn to hit a 13 degree 980F off the ground. The RBZ hybrid is closer in size to the 980F. Last summer I was playing with a guy (lower handicap than me), we were standing in the fairway waiting for the green to clear and he said something about hitting a 3 wood. I had mine in my hand and handed it to him. He put it behind his ball and looked at it and said, "I don't think I have the balls to use this club." and handed it back and got his own. He did hit it later and was impressed with the distance but said it was not easy to hit.

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

I tried out the RBZ this weekend against my Alpha V5 FW 15*. I tried every shaft-flex-loft of the RBZ and could not get better than 7 yards shorter on average from my Alpha off the deck. Longest to longest shot the Alpha was 16 yards longer off the tee and the Alpha averaged 11 yards longer than the best RBZ combo. I fit and built the Alpha to myself so that is in the Alpha's favor, but the RBZ is still in the store and waiting for another buyer. For comparison my driver speed is 103-108 and I play to a 2 hc. I think this means that people should "try" the Alpha if you have a chance and a deep face FW does not bother you.

I tried out the RBZ this weekend against my Alpha V5 FW 15*. I tried every shaft-flex-loft of the RBZ and could not get better than 7 yards shorter on average from my Alpha off the deck. Longest to longest shot the Alpha was 16 yards longer off the tee and the Alpha averaged 11 yards longer than the best RBZ combo. I fit and built the Alpha to myself so that is in the Alpha's favor, but the RBZ is still in the store and waiting for another buyer. For comparison my driver speed is 103-108 and I play to a 2 hc. I think this means that people should "try" the Alpha if you have a chance and a deep face FW does not bother you.

I just recently found out about Alpha. Their woods are made of beta titanium, so achieving max COR is very easy. I can imagine it's a very forgiving club and really want to try it out. For $200 you can certainly do worse. Thanks for posting your results.

http://www.alpha-golf-clubs.com/proddetail.php?prod=alphav5fwood

it took a few rounds to get used to looking at it off the deck, but it is very solid and I don't even notice the size anymore. Off the tee it is very easy to look at, as it looks like my 910 driver's little brother. I have a 19* V5 hybrid too and it is too deep-faced for me to get used to, although off the tee it is a mini-driver. I don't carry it because I need to be able to hit it off the deck but the FW was easy to like as it works very well from both for my swing.

• 3 weeks later...

u guys shd see this. hes a pga teacher and he has a driver speed of 106, 6 iron speed 86

good ball striker but Rbz all hype over burner 2.0

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

u guys shd see this. hes a pga teacher and he has a driver speed of 106, 6 iron speed 86

good ball striker but Rbz all hype over burner 2.0

To a point I agree with this. I tried the RBZ twice. When my swing was off, I was hitting it and my current 3W 200. I know from past rounds I used to hit my 3W 215. When my swing was on though (second time I tried the RBZ), I was hitting it 240.

That said, I've been able to bring up my swing speed over the winter, so it may be that I can hit my current 3W farther than 215 now. However, I know the COR for the RBZ is higher than my 3W, so on paper the RBZ should outperform it.

Again, as discussed in earlier posts, there are many many 3Ws out there with max COR, and I don't think the RBZ will outperform them off the shelf unless you happen to fit very well with the stock shaft.

To a point I agree with this. I tried the RBZ twice. When my swing was off, I was hitting it and my current 3W 200. I know from past rounds I used to hit my 3W 215. When my swing was on though (second time I tried the RBZ), I was hitting it 240.

That said, I've been able to bring up my swing speed over the winter, so it may be that I can hit my current 3W farther than 215 now. However, I know the COR for the RBZ is higher than my 3W, so on paper the RBZ should outperform it.

Again, as discussed in earlier posts, there are many many 3Ws out there with max COR, and I don't think the RBZ will outperform them off the shelf unless you happen to fit very well with the stock shaft.

actually the claim on the ad is

"*Better player claim against Burner 11 fairway, robot testing at 150mph ball speed, total distance." i might be wrong but im assuming Burner 11 is the 2011 burner model, correct me if i am mistaken

so mark being a better player fits the "better criteria" bill but i not even mark can swing his 3 wood at a 100mph with 1.5 smash factor. Im not saying guys out there cant do that. Im jst saying well done by TM to just post 17yards gained and for a lack of better word "misleading" the public with a fine print (with not quite realistic conditions for the target market) so small that u wont see it from a billboard unless ur 6 inches away from it

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

WD. I hate to break the news to you but the RocketBallz is not longer than any other fairway wood. At least for me and I found out this afternoon two of my golfing buddies also went and tried the Rocketballz this week and we all came back without them. The rocketballz was 1 yard longer than my 909F. I think that the 910F was 2 yards longer but I know that the Callaway RazrHawk was 3 yards longer than my 909F. That makes the RazrHawk 2 yards longer than the Rocketballz. Of course I was not particularly interested in spending $200 for 2 or 3 yards. Not real sure I would have made the switch for 17 yards on a 3 wood. I liked the feel of the 909F and the Rocketballz better than the other 2 but still..... I wrote more about it on Pass the TM Koolaide, I hit the Rocketballz. I bought a Ben Hogan C455 3 Wood in 2004 made from the 455 Carpenter Steel, so this is not a revolutionary new steel.

HI=i,

I have tried the RBZ off mats but did not note a significant change in distance compared to other newer fairway woods. However I have not tried the club on grass yet due to weather conditions.

WDA