• 0 Woods, 1 Hybrids, 5 wedges
    • 0 Woods, 2 Hybrids, 3 wedges
    • 0 Woods, 2 Hybrids, 4 wedges
    • 0 Woods, 2 Hybrids, 5 wedges
    • 0 Woods, 3 Hybrids, 3 wedges
    • 0 Woods, 3 Hybrids, 4 wedges
    • 0 Woods, 3 Hybrids, 5 wedges
    • Other
    • I chose more than one option because I vary my set.

It rained all day so I sat around planning my next golf game. Tomorrow, 11 am, Sunny, 60 degrees, no wind, lots of mud. As I was getting my stuff together it occurred to me. How many of you golfers vary your clubs based on weather conditions. While I vary the clubs on an almost daily basis and have often carried more than 14, during the weekend or when I play for money, I try to limit myself.

I have three basic setups. Hot and dry, cold and wet, and dry and windy.

Assuming that everyone carries a driver and a putter, that leaves 12 spaces for the woods, hybrids, irons and wedges.

Hot is considered anything above 50 degrees. Windy is considered above 15 mph.

On the cold or wet course, I carry 1 fairway wood, 2 hybrids, and 4 wedges. I will assume that all other spaces are the irons. I am counting the pitching wedge as a wedge not an iron.

On the dry course, I usually carry 2 hybrids and 5 wedges.

On the dry windy couse I will carry just irons and 5 wedges.

My reasoning is that I can keep the irons down in the wind easier. And it is always better to have a wedge than a wood. Typically, I can reach all but 1 par 5 in two when it is dry. So it is better to be close and have more choices in the wedges.

Now when I was thinking of this I listed all the options and I came up with 18 variations, I have limited this so if you have 8 fairway woods and 3 putters, just pick other. If you carry two golf bags, just choose the one you would if you played with someone who cares. If you carry an extra driver, it counts as a wood. If you are like me, choose the ones that best describe your setup. Multiple selections are availble but try not to choose more that three.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

The courses I play are usually well watered and the only weather variations we get are wet and hot or hot and sunny. I bag the same clubs, 4 woods, 2 hybrids and 5 to SW plus putter unless I play a course that's dry in which case I'll trade off the SW for an L wedge that has no place in the bag otherwise.

The fairways and irons are for fly and stop and the hybrids are for those times when it's better to have a lot of roll. All my clubs with the exception of one hybrid have flanges that allow for an easy pick up regardless of ground conditions. The one hybrid is interesting because it flys farther and rolls more than it's loft ought to. It's a component club and appears to have a face with more bulge and roll than I think it ought to have. It's a surprisingly useful club that I don't understand very much but am now using more often.

Shambles

I don't usually swap out clubs, though this year I may start doing so on a very small basis. I am planning to pick up an RBZ 3W and also a 16.5* hybrid, so one will be in and one will be out depending on the course, how I'm hitting them, etc. There's also the possibility of picking up a 64* wedge and dropping both the aforementioned clubs if the course isn't long. Oh, the possibilities are endless...

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Driver, FW, 4 wedges and either a 3 iron or a hybrid depending on which one is behaving. I am in the market for a new hybrid though as it spends more time out of my bag than in.

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

I can't tell you how many mid/high hdcpers I see with 15-20' hybrids in their bags....If they would just get fittted, trully fitted, when buying their clubs, the game would be so much more enjoyable for them..Oh well...Fairways & Greens 4ever...

Sorry, I know this is OT, but I loved this so much I had to respond. The word "enjoyable" is what got me. People come to me all the time asking to be fit "because my friend told me I should" or whatever other reason, but RPJ got it exactly right: well-fit clubs make the game so much darn fun. That's how we should be promoting fitting: HAVE MORE FUN! :D

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Sorry, I know this is OT, but I loved this so much I had to respond. The word "enjoyable" is what got me. People come to me all the time asking to be fit "because my friend told me I should" or whatever other reason, but RPJ got it exactly right: well-fit clubs make the game so much darn fun. That's how we should be promoting fitting: HAVE MORE FUN! :D

I would basically agree. Unfortunately, even if I already have the clubs that work best for me, and I'm pretty sure I do, I look at different clubs and a devil whispers in my mind those fatal words..."...you can work those.". Of course I can, but they really don't work as well and I am once again wondering why and off on another of my endless rounds of experimentation. :angry:

Shambles

I play the same setup in all conditions. Driver, three wood, two hybrids and four wedges.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

The devi whispered in my ear last night and now I hope he he gets to someone else in the next 9 1/2 hours. :angry:

I was playing a match yesterday against a friend of mine who had lost his pitching wedge at a tournament several months ago. He was planning on getting a new set and went last week and decided that he really did not hit new irons better than his old. He plays a set of Adams a2 OS, so he asked me to get him a replacement off ebay. Well, while I was looking I came across a hybrid that looked interesting to me and bid on it. I have no idea why. I hit the club that this is replacing great. I have tried to replace this club several times but still come back to the same club. But the MGS"s review of the Nike VR Pro hybrid was so good I bid on the stupid thing.

The devi whispered in my ear last night and now I hope he he gets to someone else in the next 9 1/2 hours. :angry:

I was playing a match yesterday against a friend of mine who had lost his pitching wedge at a tournament several months ago. He was planning on getting a new set and went last week and decided that he really did not hit new irons better than his old. He plays a set of Adams a2 OS, so he asked me to get him a replacement off ebay. Well, while I was looking I came across a hybrid that looked interesting to me and bid on it. I have no idea why. I hit the club that this is replacing great. I have tried to replace this club several times but still come back to the same club. But the MGS"s review of the Nike VR Pro hybrid was so good I bid on the stupid thing.

The devil got me as well, ended up buying another putter yesterday that will never see any bag time. It is almost a sickness that I cannot control.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

My name is Rick and I buy golf clubs........

My name is Rick and I buy golf clubs........

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. I am still in the denial phase.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Driver, fairway, hybrid, 5-9, 5 wedges.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

RR, I did the same thing for the exact same reason & the VR PRO replaced my Adams Pro Black..I love it & if it wasn't for the MGS review, I never would have looked @ it, much less bought it..Great club..Let us know how ya like it..Fairways & Greens 4ever...

Good news, I was outbid in the last seconds on the Nike Hybrid. The reason this is good is because by all accounts the Nike would have cause a ripple effect in my bag. I already have a 24* hybrid. A Ben Hogan CFT with a UST Axivcore Red Shaft. I hit this 185-190 normally but can choke down on it hit it 175 or hit it 200 but usually do not take a max swing with irons or hybrids, or anything really. I have another hybrid Titleist that is my 200-215 and my 5 iron is my up to 175 club. I was concerned that the Nike would be the wrong distance leaving a gap.

• 3 weeks later...

If you count the driver as a wood, then I carry:

3 wood (driver, 3w, 7w)

1 hybrid (25*)

3 wedges including pitching (P, G, S)

I pulled out 3i and 4i from my bag, as 7w and 25* hybrid replaced the long irons.

Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"

4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff

Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff

Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff

Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300

Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300

Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno

Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight

Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

Under the assumptions that PW is a wedge and 'wood' means 'fairway wood' then I have two main set ups

1) Driver, 4wood, hybrid, 4-P, 52, 56, 60, Putter (95% of the time this is my set-up)

2) Driver, 4wood, 3-P, 52, 56, 60, Putter

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• 2 months later...

None of those fit my set configuration.

Three woods

No hybrids

Seven irons

Three wedges

Putter

My driving iron might be called a "utility club" instead of an iron, perhaps, but certainly not a hybrid.

Sorry, this was my first attempt at a poll and while I tried to thinkk of every possible option, I failed miserably.

I had to change my vote because now I have only two hybrids, and four wedges counting my pitching wedge. Also, I used to change clubs but with the new set I have no reason to alter what I have in the bag.

Lately I've been trying to keep the setup the same. Driver, 3W, 19* Hybrid 3-PW, GW, SW and putter. I carry the 19* hybrid and the 3 iron both more out of habit and use the 3 almost exclusively for punch shots.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Lately I've been trying to keep the setup the same. Driver, 3W, 19* Hybrid 3-PW, GW, SW and putter. I carry the 19* hybrid and the 3 iron both more out of habit and use the 3 almost exclusively for punch shots.

I now have the exact same setup (only 18* hybrid) and I primarily use the 3i for punch shots. I can hit it about 215-220, so I can use it for tee shots when needed.

Archived