TESTERS WANTED! ×

PXG Gen 5 Driver?

azstu324

I bought the Gen 5 0311 XF about 3 weeks ago and am going to return it.  It couldn't knock my Ping G425 Max out of the bag.  Nothing really wrong with the PXG, it just wasn't an improvement.  Of course, your mileage may vary and the shaft you choose will make a big difference.  If they are still offering a 60 day refund, then it's a no brainer to try it.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Just got notice that the XF Gen 5 is sitting at the FedEx down the road - trying to figure out how I can get over there while having to work late - maybe it's time to break out my "oh man my screen is frozen I guess I have to reboot" thing and try to brb 😉  

Excited to get this thing out to the range.  Pics and thoughts to follow.

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

On 9/12/2022 at 4:25 PM, Samsonite said:

Just got notice that the XF Gen 5 is sitting at the FedEx down the road - trying to figure out how I can get over there while having to work late - maybe it's time to break out my "oh man my screen is frozen I guess I have to reboot" thing and try to brb 😉  

Excited to get this thing out to the range.  Pics and thoughts to follow.

Managed to pick this up finally(!) today from local FedEx ship point, and ran immediately to the range. 

All I'll say right now is that I hit my two longest drives ever with this thing. The XF head allowed me to hit multiple big drives of the toe with much less penalty than I see with my Cobra, and out of the middle, it's spectacular feeling. I think it is a genuinely great-looking club at address, as well. The carbon-fiber silver top has a nice matte finish to it, and the spot where it turns to black seems to allow my eye an easier time to line up to target. 

As far as the changes I made from my Cobra driver, I LOVE the midsize grip - just feels perfect in-hand. But the star here might be the shaft - so far, my theory is holding true - the significant reduction in stiffness REALLY allows me to feel where the head is in my backswing, and after a few swings, I was finding middle-to-middle-toe nearly every swing. 

Taking it out on-course on Sunday, so more to follow. But so far, this is an incredible first experience. 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

11 hours ago, Samsonite said:

But the star here might be the shaft - so far, my theory is holding true

Man.. now you have me interested in trying an "Otto Phlex" project

That would be a pretty cool MGS or forum collaboration review project!

You may have posted this but would you mind sharing your previous and new shaft specs? 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

13 hours ago, azstu324 said:

You may have posted this but would you mind sharing your previous and new shaft specs? 

No problem! 

Cobra shaft was the stock Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 Graphite

PXG:  EvenFlow Riptide CB 40g 4.0

Interestingly, my Hzrdus shaft was measured as coming in at 2x Stiff by a fitter, which could be why I had SUCH a hard time knowing where the head was. When I added 4g of lead tape, it made some definite improvement. 

This Riptide, though - even though it's designed for "senior" (or however exactly they define A-flex) - so far (again, very limited testing sample thus far) just feels spectacular. 

Excited to get it out in play tomorrow. 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

6 hours ago, Samsonite said:

You made a significant change in a couple areas. Weight by 20ish grams, stiffness profile. I’m not talking about the flex label on the shaft but the profile of the shaft itself. Even though the yellow and the riptide cb are both cb designed the evenflow isn’t nearly as stout a shaft as the yellow.

Interestingly, my Hzrdus shaft was measured as coming in at 2x Stiff by a fitter, which could be why I had SUCH a hard time knowing where the head was. When I added 4g of lead tape, it made some definite improvement. 

Your fitter doesn’t know what he’s talking about here. The stiffness of a shaft is determined by the manufacturer and there’s no standard to what flex is -and Tom Wishon wrote an article 10 year or so ago about measuring cpm and how that doesn’t tell anything about comparing stiffness of two shafts. so saying something is 2x stiffer does at mean anything.

This Riptide, though - even though it's designed for "senior" (or however exactly they define A-flex) - so far (again, very limited testing sample thus far) just feels spectacular. 

There is no definition for flex. Each manufacturer has their standard and it could be completely different from every other manufacturer. Not to mention two shafts from different lines from the same manufacturer will be different despite same flex marking on a shaft. Flex is only relevant to shafts from the same line and in the same weight class. So with the yellow as an example a 6.0 in the 60g line is not the same flex as a 6.0 in the 70g yellow line. And will be different from the evenflow line. There’s also no such thing as a design for seniors. I know several seniors that play a heavy shaft and in some manufacturers stiff shafts that have a relatively stiff profile. I know some that play a stiff profile in 50g.

Designs are for swing types and feel. 

As mentioned above you changed significant weight and design. What the new setup shows is that your swing doesn’t mesh with a stiff or to use a different term “boardy” profile. You may also not get along with 60g shafts or at least not in a boardy profile.

But with all that said glad that you found something that works 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

15 hours ago, Samsonite said:

No problem! 

Excited to get it out in play tomorrow. 

So I tracked down a guy who's willing to work a trade for the Diamana that came with my 0311. He has a Riptide CB 5.0 40g which is the same one used in the Mr Short Game/mobile Club maker videos. His also has a PXG tip so but for an 0211 so hopefully it's plug and play.. My stock ss is right at 110 so I think this profile will work for me. Another key detail is to build the club with a D1-D2 SW so I'll have to see if any adjustments are needed. looking around, I don't see saying that a gen 4 adapter won't work with a gen 5.. but then again I haven't found anything saying it will work. 

If this little experiment fails, I just go back to my faithful MotoreX F1 6x and sell the riptide for $75. I'm hoping to meet up with the guy tonight. 

Oh, @Samsonite, do you happen to know what Swing weight you are at? Also what length are you playing? I'm considering starting at 46" and then adjusting shorter accordingly. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

17 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

All PXG tips are the same so you're good. 👍

Ha ha thanks man.. I just went on blind faith before I had a chance to read this. It worked out😬

MAXFLI  Tour CG

So I did it! I got the exact Riptide used in the videos. CB 5.0 A flex 40g. 

This will definitely make for an interesting comparison and a separate thread might be coming down the road. 

0918222110.jpg.54425cda8b22af4f20a5c371922fb50f.jpg

0918222109.jpg.796ffcba6b3cd2b58575942a9b7fbe7e.jpg

0918222111.jpg.aab7e94378406182f927f2e2b3f4adc5.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

7 hours ago, azstu324 said:

So I did it! I got the exact Riptide used in the videos. CB 5.0 A flex 40g. 

This will definitely make for an interesting comparison and a separate thread might be coming down the road. 

Interested to hear how this turns out.   After watching those videos I was intrigued with the concept.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Okay! 

So was able to play 18 yesterday (Soule Park in Ojai, CA - awesome course in a really beautiful spot in the country, and we had absolutely perfect weather (75, sunny, slight breeze) - a nice change from the month of 100+ we had a few weeks back) with the new driver (0311 XF).  

The first thing I can say is that my misses with this thing tend to be in a MUCH narrower window than with my previous set-up.  I can still push right (something I'm working on in my lessons), but I didn't hit ONE massive slice right - the ones I missed right were just blocks out to the right of the fairway, and all were playable.  I think that's kind of the thing that stands out the most about yesterday's round - I was constantly in play.  I hit the center-cut only 4 times, but was two or three yards off another 5 times, and for me, those are VERY playable misses.  I hit two truly terrible tee-shots, which have nothing to do with the driver and all to do with me attempting to "get it" after my buddy taunted me, lol, but those I 100% own as me being dumb. 

As the round went on, I actually was swinging freer  (that is a weird word. Free-er = freer? Crazy), and hit my absolute best drive of the day on 17, center-cut, rolling out to just shy of 280.  I've certainly hit longer drives before, but typically with drier conditions (a lot of the courses out here have been over-watering now that the crazy heat is gone, and the fairways are very moist).  My drive on 18 was actually longer, but missed the fairway (about 2 paces to the left - hit it dead straight on my line, it just didn't fade back like I thought it would).  

If you read any of my review of the LAB putter, you might have gleaned that confidence for me is a HUGE thing in liking/disliking a club.  So far, I feel VERY confident with this set-up.  The driver head itself is spectacular - I LOVE the top-line/silver carbon matte top.  The sound/feel are muted and lovely.  

The only downside currently is I'm not 100% enamored with the PXG midsize grip - I love the size, just not sold on the material.  I may swap it out with some I bought earlier this year that are in my garage - softer/tackier options than what came standard on the driver. We'll see.

Overall, though, this thing performed exceptionally well.  My buddy who has the Sim 2 driver (and is always the longest off the tee) was frustrated multiple time when his "bomb" was 20 yards behind mine with my "old man shaft" as he was calling it.  

I'm trying to get to a near-ish simulator to do a compare/contrast with the Cobra to see if it's just placebo, but right now, this thing feels like an immediate keeper.

Oh! As for forgiveness, I can tell you the ones I "missed" (no heel misses, btw - all my misses were high/toe) still went on-line, they just had a tendency to spin up a little more, so I lost a bit of distance.  Not a massive amount, just enough to be a club or two further from the green.  

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

On 9/1/2022 at 11:01 AM, azstu324 said:

Might sound silly but even the profile of the head and how it frames the ball plays enough into my psyche to make a difference.

Does not sound silly to me - there's just something about other "big headed" drivers that look a little cumbersome, maybe?, to me...

I picked up a Gen 5 0311 XF when it was on sale recently and really like it's look much better vs other drivers I've used. Initial results are encouraging!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

13 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Does not sound silly to me - there's just something about other "big headed" drivers that look a little cumbersome, maybe?, to me...

I picked up a Gen 5 0311 XF when it was on sale recently and really like it's look much better vs other drivers I've used. Initial results are encouraging!

Totally agree - I was surprised at how "svelte" it looks, even though it definitely isn't a small-headed driver, by any means.  They did an awesome job of making it appear smaller than it is, without it feeling "tiny", lol. I was actually really looking forward to hitting it every time I came up to the tee, which is a relatively new feeling.  

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

4 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

Totally agree - I was surprised at how "svelte" it looks, even though it definitely isn't a small-headed driver, by any means.  They did an awesome job of making it appear smaller than it is, without it feeling "tiny", lol. I was actually really looking forward to hitting it every time I came up to the tee, which is a relatively new feeling.  

This driver definitely has the "look, sound, feel" appeal. "Svelte" is a new one but it works! 😜

I'm yet to get the new setup out for a spin.. or even a practice session. Just been swinging it in my living room thinking to myself "this feels like it might hit straight fairway-finding bombs".. but that's as far as I've gotten.. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Just been swinging it in my living room thinking to myself "this feels like it might hit straight fairway-finding bombs".. but that's as far as I've gotten.. 

This sounds like an infomercial - "Think it into the fairway, and BOOM, it IS in the fairway! (Call now, while supplies last!)" 

I'm trying not to jump to any conclusions, based on one round and a half-bucket of balls - I know there will be days when my swing is off, but so far, it's been a bit of a love affair.  

I do have a SwingCaddie SC200, so should at the very least be able to get some relatively close swing-speed numbers compared against the Cobra.  That I'm very curious to see.  

But seriously - get that thing out of your living room 😉

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

My 0311 7.5* head in on its way. Paid a little more but the guy is sending it UPS 2-Day. I’m gonna turn this down to 6* and see what kind of numbers I can get with the GD UB 5s and Accra RPG LBP 352. Might even try to get some LM numbers this weekend if I can find the time. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

2 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

gonna turn this down to 6*

Damn son.. that's beastly!

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

Damn son.. that's beastly!

Lol I have actually found that 6-7.5* works best for me paired with a lightweight shaft. I was playing a Ping 425 lst 9* turned down to 7.5* with the UB. Had 4g of hotmelt in it and weighed in at 208g head weight w/ no adapter and it was great but just never really cared for the feel/sound. 

TBH this is really just an experiment to head into the winter for me as I will no doubt have a TSR2 8* head at some point before New Years lol

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

32 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

Lol I have actually found that 6-7.5* works best for me paired with a lightweight shaft. I was playing a Ping 425 lst 9* turned down to 7.5* with the UB. Had 4g of hotmelt in it and weighed in at 208g head weight w/ no adapter and it was great but just never really cared for the feel/sound. 

TBH this is really just an experiment to head into the winter for me as I will no doubt have a TSR2 8* head at some point before New Years lol

That's what's so great about this head is all of the adjustability. For a while I had a Cobra F8+ turned town to Sub 8°. And when I was on, could crush it.. but just couldn't find the consistency and the face just really wanted to open. FF to today, my swing speed is about +5mph and have about a +5° static impact.. I wonder what 7.5° with the weights in the heel/back could crank out..?🤔 not to mention with this new "Otto Phlex" theory combo. There's just so much trouble that a guy like me can get into! 

I'll tell ya @blackngold_blood, you might just find yourself forgetting all about that TSR2 after a few sessions with the 0311. Just sayin.. 😜. It's a shame that the boys at TXG couldn't get their hands on one for the recent driver showdown. TSR took the top spot but I'm confident that this would have been a close 2nd.. or maybe even #1 based on what I've read out there and folks who have compared it with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ranked in their test. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

That's what's so great about this head is all of the adjustability. For a while I had a Cobra F8+ turned town to Sub 8°. And when I was on, could crush it.. but just couldn't find the consistency and the face just really wanted to open. FF to today, my swing speed is about +5mph and have about a +5° static impact.. I wonder what 7.5° with the weights in the heel/back could crank out..?🤔 not to mention with this new "Otto Phlex" theory combo. There's just so much trouble that a guy like me can get into! 

I'll tell ya @blackngold_blood, you might just find yourself forgetting all about that TSR2 after a few sessions with the 0311. Just sayin.. 😜. It's a shame that the boys at TXG couldn't get their hands on one for the recent driver showdown. TSR took the top spot but I'm confident that this would have been a close 2nd.. or maybe even #1 based on what I've read out there and folks who have compared it with the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ranked in their test. 

It’s very possible that the PXG beats the TSR for me. I have always gotten along well with PXG drivers-Gen2/Proto X/0211/Gen4 and now the Gen5 gets a shot. I do also have a BGT Brava shaft on preorder from my local guy. I couldn’t resist with the claims against the autoflexx at half the cost.  This is probably the first time ever that I don’t completely dread winter coming lol

I had a PXG prototype driver, worked really well for me, gave it to my son, after I purchased an Epic Speed. After a while I realized I made a mistake so when the Gen 5 dropped to $299 I bought the XF. Most stable driver I have ever hit, good distance too, even for my average swing speed. If you get the right shaft you will have a winner in your hands.

Epic speed driver

sxiron 3 wood

Tour Edge hybrid 

PXG irons

Mizuno Wedges

SC Putter 

Got the "experimental" setup out to the range last night. I took my MotoreX along to get some back and forth comparisons. Now in all fairness, my MotoreX plays at 45.5" and D3 SW and the PX Evenflow is cut to play at 45" and D1.5. I was really debating adding 1 or 1.5" to the PX as the idea here is to try to mimick the Autoflex concept as much as possible. Most of what I've read is that the secret sauce in the Autoflex is 46+" sub-50g, and between D1 and D2 SW, and mid-high launch. The idea is that with the lighter flex and weight, by keeping the head weight just light enough, you should still be able to feel the club moving through the swing without having the weight of the head be too much to twist the face when the swing speed is higher than what the shaft was designed for. If anything, the effect should bump up the loft some to help with launch. 

So I just took a gamble and started with the head cranked down to 7.5° and the weights in the fade setting. Even with all of the fade supporting adjustments, the face doesn't look massively open at address. If anything it just stays dead square. Good job PXG! With the 45" shaft, the feeling is pure confidence. Now for the absolute crazy surprise. I started off by just hitting some nice 50% shots just to warm up and find a groove with the very flexible shaft. At 7.5°, I must have been launching the ball at 14+° with NO effort. I'm not talking about balloon balls either. These were just absolute bombs! Gradually I started increasing speed to get to a comfortable 75-85% and the ball only went further and further and was just on a rope. I also couldn't believe just how good and smooth the setup felt. It was extremely stable even at 110+ mph as. Not once did I ever feel like I was going to lose control of the club. 

After about 20 swings, I plugged in the MotoreX F1 6X. I brought the loft back up to 9° knowing it would probably launch lower. The flight was immediately and noticeably lower. I was amazed at how much extra I had to work at hitting up on the ball to get my launch back. Keep in mind that I've been using this shaft with tremendous success for the past year and a half so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with it. I think I just fell into such a nice effortless groove with the Evenflow that I kind of forgot how much work the heavier and substantially stiffer MotoreX requires to make it move the ball. 

The range that I went to was outdoors and had foresight but when used with limited flight balls, it's kind of pointless to track #'s. That said, my best swing with the MotoreX carried about 265 yds and roll out to about 300, as did the Evenflow.. but my best swing with the Evenflow seemed to be much more repeatable and consistent (remember these are limited flight by 30% so the math says "hell yeah!". It's always a nice feeling when you're at a packed range and you overhear the guys behind you say to each other.. "holy $hit did you see that guy's drive?". I was the only guy on either side of them hitting driver.. so yeah they were referring to me😜

I'm hoping to get in to get some proper #'s soon. Playing at all these days has been a challenge. The Mrs just had a major surgery so I'm burning the candle at both ends between work and kids and taking care of her, for a couple of months while she's recovering. I'm dying to get out and play! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

8 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Got the "experimental" setup out to the range last night. 

Yes!!! It's a crazy feeling, right? You're significantly faster than I am (I'm usually right at 99-101), but I was so thrilled with the stability of the set-up. 

Excited to see what it can do for you!

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

Got the Gen5 7.5* out today after work for a few holes. Basically plugged it in at the -1.5* setting without looking at the weights. Felt light compared to the Ping but the Ping was at 208g head weight. I hit 3 balls on each of the 6 holes I played. I hit the center of the face the first 9 balls but it still seemed higher, shorter than I expected and turning left quite a bit. Then remembered hey there are weights on the bottom dummy. They were set up with the 7.5g in the back and heel- no bueno. Switched them to heel and toe, then threw a 5g I had in the back. Instantly felt better. Slightly heavier head feel and the RPG(still waiting on an adapter for the UB) seemed to really unload right at impact. Still a little higher than the Ping/UB but the ball just explodes off the face.

Last tee ball of the day was a dogleg left 270 to carry the trees with a slight draw if you don’t want to run out of fairway.  I hit a straight rope that I knew was gonna carry the trees but probably run through the fairway as it wasn’t turning. Went looking for my ball and couldn’t find it anywhere. I was just about to say screw it as I was gonna be done anyways, when a guy on the next tee box said it was over there. No clue exactly how far it carried but it ended at 340ish from the tee box. Even if I had aimed straight at the hole more I would have been 30 yards too long. 

I’m really looking forward to getting out this weekend. I’m also extremely pleased with the AV crown. No where near as off putting as the Gen4 for me. 

Took mine to the practice range this afternoon - think I'm starting to like this thing... Which, tbh, in the 10+ years I've been playing golf is a first for me!

Happy to see the positive experiences of the others posting here 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Played a few holes today in a small get together for my former employer.  First hole, no warm up, wind helping, 350 and some change to just off the left side of the fairway. Super cold feeling out this afternoon as it rained this morning and only got to 60* for a temp.   Even with that the head still feels explosive and soft at the same time. Suppose to be in the 70’s this weekend so that will help. Also gonna get on the simulator early next week I hope

I purchased the PXG Gen 5 driver during the recent PXG sale.  Paid $299.  My prior driver, which I love, was an Epic Flash 10.5 with Project X Evenflow Stiff flex.  Side by side, I carry the PXG Gen 5 10- 15 yards farther and total distance seems to produce 20 extra yards.  However, I am a bit older and went from the above stiff shaft to the Tensei Raw Blue R-flex and 55 grams.  At the end of the day, I am much happier with my new set up.  So far, I ve played about 7-8 rounds with the new driver.

WITB:  

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 Project X 6.0 55G

PXG 3W 16 degree set to 15 or 5W 18 Riptide CB 5.5 60G

PXG 19 and 22 degree hybrids MMT 70R

PXG 5-W Gen 4 ST irons Recoil Dart 75 F3

PXG 50, 54 MMT 70R and 60 MMT 60A SD wedges

Black Jack putter Stability Tour 

On 8/31/2022 at 11:37 AM, Samsonite said:

Welp...after listing a few little things for sale I'm not using any more, I decided to pull the trigger and order the 0311 XF (Gen 5) in 9 degree.  For $299, free shipping and 60 days to try it out, and if it outperforms or even matches my Cobra from two years ago, it's a no-brainer keep and then I can offload the Cobra for whatever I can get for it.  

We'll see what the result is - I went with a REALLY different set-up than my previous Hzrds Smoke 60g Stiff (which, when tested at a fitter, was apparently coming in at 2x Stiff - no wonder it's been problematic):  Gen5 0311XF (figuring the extra forgiveness can never hurt me), ProjectX Riptide CB 40 4.0 in L flex, midsize grip (LOVE the midsize ever since testing it at a Roger Dunn).

The real wildcard here is the L-flex shaft - but after seeing the Mobile Clubmaker's video with Mr. Shortgame, I am VERY intrigued with this (for those that didn't see it, he compared the "AutoFlex" shaft against two other shafts - the Riptide CB and a discontinued shaft from 2011 (forgive me for not remembering the name off-hand - I think it was a Fujikura), and they performed almost exactly the same as the "AutoFlex", but at WAY cheaper.  Given my experience with the LagShot driver (incredibly whippy shaft with heavy head, for me, equaled crazy-straight, playable drives), I thought this was a fun way to test this combo out.  

If I hate it - well, I have 60 days to send it back for a full refund (or, more likely, try out a different combo if I can take it to a local fitter).  So it feels like a fun experiment.  The potential upside is that, for effectively just more than the cost of the shaft alone, I get to try out something that's as current as can be, and could potentially be a (pardon the over-usage) game-changer. 

I'll let you know what's what when I get it in-hand sometime in the next two weeks. 

-S

You went from a stiff shaft (that you say played more like x stiff) to an L flex???  Did you demo the L flex?  Hope it works but this has disaster written all over it

1 hour ago, garyt1957 said:

You went from a stiff shaft (that you say played more like x stiff) to an L flex???  Did you demo the L flex?  Hope it works but this has disaster written all over it

He also referenced the mobile clubmaker video.  If you haven't watched his videos,  he determined that you can mimic the performance of the Autoflex shaft for significantly less cost.   Basically you drop 2 flexes and 2 weight classes from your normal setup.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG