Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

PXG Gen 5 Driver?

azstu324

2 hours ago, garyt1957 said:

You went from a stiff shaft (that you say played more like x stiff) to an L flex???  Did you demo the L flex?  Hope it works but this has disaster written all over it

See @cnosil's comment above, and if you look further back in the thread, you can see why I did what I did. 

Ultimately, I'm one of those guys who likes to feel the shaft load, and with my previous set-up, I found myself having to guess as to where the head was. I added some lead tape to the bottom of my driver, which helped, but when I saw the video by the Mobile Clubmaker (I linked it earlier), it got me thinking about this setup. 

So far, it's fantastic. I may ultimately return it and try to find a different shaft for my Cobra, but I ultimately think I'd sell the Cobra before I sold the PXG - I love the look at address and the forgiveness and stability are fantastic. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

30 minutes ago, cnosil said:

He also referenced the mobile clubmaker video.  If you haven't watched his videos,  he determined that you can mimic the performance of the Autoflex shaft for significantly less cost.   Basically you drop 2 flexes and 2 weight classes from your normal setup.  

@garyt1957 here is what @cnosiland @Samsonite are referencing. I too have embarked down this rabbit hole and so far am seeing some mind-blowing results

https://youtu.be/jY4GE_oj6bM

https://youtu.be/G7b4ewEIhd0

I've got the Riptide Evenflow 5.0 40g referenced in the videos and just today picked up a Garrafalloy pro launch Blue 45 in A flex just to have another option. I swing 110 mph+. Not a brag but just a confirmation that this can work. 

Im trying to get some more results and options before starting a complete thread on this topic. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 minute ago, azstu324 said:

@garyt1957 here is what @cnosiland @Samsonite are referencing. I too have embarked down this rabbit hole and so far am seeing some mind-blowing results

https://youtu.be/jY4GE_oj6bM

https://youtu.be/G7b4ewEIhd0

I've got the Riptide Evenflow 5.0 40g referenced in the videos and just today picked up a Garrafalloy pro launch Blue 45 in A flex just to have another option. I swing 110 mph+. Not a brag but just a confirmation that this can work. 

Im trying to get some more results and options before starting a complete thread on this topic. 

I really want to give this a try.   I am going to see if MGS has any L flex shafts on hand....doubtful but they might.  Nice to hear that it seems to have positive results.    Might be after most wanted driver testing since I am also thinking about a new driver if something beats my Ping. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, garyt1957 said:

You went from a stiff shaft (that you say played more like x stiff) to an L flex???  Did you demo the L flex?  Hope it works but this has disaster written all over it

Comments like this are so funny to me. Next time try to get some context on what you are commenting on before hitting submit. 

I have hit shafts that range from 45g Regular flex Oban Devotion to a 65g X Stiff Kuro Kage XT with playable results. I swing anywhere between 107-113mph depending on how loose I can get my back. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

40 or 50 replies in a month.  I like the look of a old Adams that I picked up cheap on Ebay.  Then before surgery, I got fitted for a PXG 0211 but havent hit it yet, in A flex, the Evenflow Rptide light shaft felt like magic in the fitting.  I no longer think PXG is just a big mouth guy with too much money.  I see a lot of lady pros play PXG, and PXG I am pretty sure does not pay anybody.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

18 hours ago, cnosil said:

I really want to give this a try.   I am going to see if MGS has any L flex shafts on hand....doubtful but they might.  Nice to hear that it seems to have positive results.    Might be after most wanted driver testing since I am also thinking about a new driver if something beats my Ping. 

FYI yesterday I picked up a Garafalloy Pro Launch blue 45g A flex at Golf Galaxy for $60 new. I tipped it 1/2" as the torque is a little looser at 5.0 vs the Autoflex 4.0. it has a 2" tip vs most other shafts 3-4" so this should have helped tighten it some. I wanted to have a more budget-friendly option as well as a non-CB shaft to compare when I do my review and it was between Garafalloy, ProForce V2, and Aldila NV Orange as they all ring up at $60 at Golf Galaxy. Honestly it just came down to color scheme and the Garafalloy won pretty handedly. 

First things first, Golfworks Quick set epoxy is the business! Never tried it but the tech at GG highly recommended it. I had the shaft glued up by 1 pm, had a tee time at 3:30. I played the front with the Riptide and then plugged in the Garafalloy for the back and the epoxy was fully cured! 🤯

Moving on, I've got my work cut out with these 2 shafts! Outcomes for both were pretty fantastic! The GPLB surprisingly launched lower than the Riptide. I cut the GPLB to play at 45.5" but didn't have time to get SW specs before going out. Without knowing actual #s, both shafts seem to he producing better results than the MotoreX F1 and just seem easier to manage. After the round I took the GPLB to the range just to get some more time with it. I'd say that this shafts better meets the traditional Autoflex feel. Just like the guys in the video stated, the Riptide doesn't actually feel loose and whippy at all. Probably more characteristic of PX in that their shafts seem to play a bit more on the stout side. The Riptide just feels like a nice, smoooooth shaft that's easy to manage at any swing speed without feeling overly whippy. The GPLB on the other hand feels quite whippy like all of the Autoflex reviews seem to be showing. It's without a doubt something different from what I'm used to but it didn't seem to take long to find a nice groove and start hitting some nice towering bombs. After my round and practice I came home and put the GPLB on the scale and it was actually too heavy at D 3.75. in an X flex this is good all day but I needed to get that down to Sub 2 in order to get max performance out of it. So I took off the grip and cut it to 45", grip back on and voila we are at D 1.5 to match the Riptide. So both shafts play at 45" and D1.5. the Riptide overall is a few grams heavier being closer to 51g uncut but the HBP is lending to a heavier grip section and lower SW. 

Hopefully this week I can get to the launch monitors for actual #'s. The only thing now is that I took the tip off of the MotoreX to use with the GPLB but I think that just confirms that I'm really leaning towards committing to one of these 2 shafts. 

0925220749.jpg.c980f6123760a0742c40137585a025f9.jpg

InCollage_20220925_075440535.jpg.a92cd5658a9d47429bd2a846efcf35a2.jpg

I'll probably start the "Otto Phlex" thread here in the next week after having some more definitive conclusions. That way we can carry on the convo about the experiment there as this has kind of taken over the PXG Gen 5 thread😜. I'm sure there will be plenty of interest in the subject so it would be good to give it it's own home. 

TBC

MAXFLI  Tour CG

22 hours ago, azstu324 said:

FYI yesterday I picked up a Garafalloy Pro Launch blue 45g A flex at Golf Galaxy for $60 new. I tipped it 1/2" as the torque is a little looser at 5.0 vs the Autoflex 4.0. it has a 2" tip vs most other shafts 3-4" so this should have helped tighten it some.

Interesting to me for several reasons. First there is no industry standard for measuring torque to include not everyone uses the same machine and even if some do because they measure it differently it’s a nearly irrelevant number. Second torque is more about feel than anything and tipping shaft especially only 1/2” really isn’t going to affect that.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, Davisrod29 said:

@azstu324 Any chance you still have the link to this PXG Gen 5 driver you found the great deal on? I'd love to get in on it! TYIA

So I went a bit unconventional and bought it from an individual locally off of Offer Up so I just got very lucky there. The original PXG discount offer for $250 is expired I believe. Sorry I couldn't be of more help 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Interesting to me for several reasons. First there is no industry standard for measuring torque to include not everyone uses the same machine and even if some do because they measure it differently it’s a nearly irrelevant number. Second torque is more about feel than anything and tipping shaft especially only 1/2” really isn’t going to affect that.

Just as I was about to site my 10 different sources of reference just so you know that I'm not merely pulling stuff out of my butt.. I figured what's the point? You won't agree with it, and most importantly, whatever I did worked with 100% success.. for me.. so who cares? I do like to give context as to why I do certain things so I don't just look like I'm here chopping and glueing $hit. so I'll certainly share. 

Bottom line, I'm not a credentialed Golf Smith nor have I ever claimed to be. I definitely will never claim any position of "you're wrong and I'm right" when talking equipment or club building. I'll always throw my $.02 in the hat for the sake of group participation and contribution, but if someone says something that I wholeheartedly disagree with, I find it MUCH easier to just simply back out of the thread and move on. I'm an enthused hobby tinkerer who does claim to know a thing or 2.. but also admits that I have a lot to learn and that's why I'm here. This is just a fun journey that a few of us are embarking on and anyone's more than welcome to join the ride. We're here to share experiences, talk about details, but not get overly lost in the minutiae of things. 

I think that what I did was purposefully thought out, adequately researched, and correctly executed so I have no second thoughts here. 

Now I'm hesitant to even start a separate thread documenting this experiment. I can only imagine how quickly it could get derailed. 🤦🏼‍♂️

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 9/26/2022 at 10:55 AM, azstu324 said:

Now I'm hesitant to even start a separate thread documenting this experiment.

Well I, for one, am interested in following along!

For entirely different reasons .. and I am an entirely different golfer with probably like half the swing speed and distance .. but ... I find myself - especially as I'm getting older - preferring lighter / flexier shafts.

Absolutely zero scientific basis backing that up 🤣 .. just what *seems* to be working for me.

In fact... for my most recent driver purchase (Gen 5 XP) I selected the 50g / 5.0 Riptide .. but now I'm wondering if maybe I should try a 40g/4.0 .....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

33 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

For entirely different reasons .. and I am an entirely different golfer with probably like half the swing speed and distance .. but ... I find myself - especially as I'm getting older - preferring lighter / flexier shafts.

Absolutely zero scientific basis backing that up 🤣 .. just what *seems* to be working for me.

In fact... for my most recent driver purchase (Gen 5 XP) I selected the 50g / 5.0 Riptide .. but now I'm wondering if maybe I should try a 40g/4.0 .....

Chuck you saw me hit my driver in Maryland, I’m getting a lighter softer flex for it especially since I hurt my back. I won’t know how this will effect things until I do so though.

30 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Oh I'll still do it. I know that there will probably be a lot of curious souls who always saw the Autoflex concept as being interesting.. but something completely out of reach financially. I'm one of them. I'm guessing that a thread about this process could be right up most of our alley. 

I just don't want it to turn into a  knowledge flexing session as the whole concept is based on extremely subjective outcomes lightly supported by a lot of individual theories.. which is why I like it so much. It works for different people for different reasons and that's A-OK 😊

MAXFLI  Tour CG

4 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Chuck you saw me hit my driver in Maryland, I’m getting a lighter softer flex for it especially since I hurt my back. I won’t know how this will effect things until I do so though.

This for me is a major point that I'll touch on. The ability to keep your SS up without wrecking yourself. I'm 43.. not old but no longer young. As much as I'd like to stay in the 110+ range, I know it might only be doing me more harm and shortening the lifespan of my game.. but if I can at least hold onto that SS for a few more years with less effort required, then why the hell not? 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, cksurfdude said:

I got my Gen 5 XF in the 40g/4.0 Riptide two weeks ago, and am absolutely loving it so far.  I went with the 40, as the Mobile Clubmaker (see above thread for video link) had Mr. Short Game test out the 50/5.0, but later on realized he should have had him test the 40, as that was pound-for-pound comparable to the AutoFlex given Mr. Short Game's swing speed (which is a little faster than mine - he's about 101-104, I believe, and I'm usually about 99-101).  So that's what I went with, and I'm finding on average, a slight uptick in swing speed without having to work any harder.

45 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

This for me is a major point that I'll touch on. The ability to keep your SS up without wrecking yourself. I'm 43.. not old but no longer young. As much as I'd like to stay in the 110+ range, I know it might only be doing me more harm and shortening the lifespan of my game.. but if I can at least hold onto that SS for a few more years with less effort required, then why the hell not? 

I had it out on the range on Friday with my Swing Caddie 2.0, and I clocked one swing at 108 - now......I'll take that with a grain of salt, as nothing else I hit was more than 103, but still - I normally TOP out at 101, so even 2mph I would take.  All without having to work any harder - if anything, it's easier, because I can actually feel the clubhead loading in my backswing (which was the whole point of this exercise in trying this shaft). 

It's anecdotal so far, but I'm also noticing a HUGE uptick in my right/left dispersion - my "big miss" is a big push-slice, but with this, even on a "miss", it's mostly just a slight push out to the right, with very little slice spin - which for me, is a HUGE benefit.  I've started aiming just up the left side of the fairway, and if it's straight, I'm good, and if I push it a little, I'm usually still totally good (if not better, depending on the layout of the hole).

Really enjoying this whole experience.

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

1 hour ago, Samsonite said:

I got my Gen 5 XF in the 40g/4.0 Riptide two weeks ago, and am absolutely loving it so far.  I went with the 40, as the Mobile Clubmaker (see above thread for video link) had Mr. Short Game test out the 50/5.0, but later on realized he should have had him test the 40, as that was pound-for-pound comparable to the AutoFlex given Mr. Short Game's swing speed (which is a little faster than mine - he's about 101-104, I believe, and I'm usually about 99-101).  So that's what I went with, and I'm finding on average, a slight uptick in swing speed without having to work any harder.

I had it out on the range on Friday with my Swing Caddie 2.0, and I clocked one swing at 108 - now......I'll take that with a grain of salt, as nothing else I hit was more than 103, but still - I normally TOP out at 101, so even 2mph I would take.  All without having to work any harder - if anything, it's easier, because I can actually feel the clubhead loading in my backswing (which was the whole point of this exercise in trying this shaft). 

It's anecdotal so far, but I'm also noticing a HUGE uptick in my right/left dispersion - my "big miss" is a big push-slice, but with this, even on a "miss", it's mostly just a slight push out to the right, with very little slice spin - which for me, is a HUGE benefit.  I've started aiming just up the left side of the fairway, and if it's straight, I'm good, and if I push it a little, I'm usually still totally good (if not better, depending on the layout of the hole).

Really enjoying this whole experience.

That's some awesome feedback! I'm bummed that my playing time has come to a screeching halt due to wife's surgery.. but big pic is that she'll be on her way to a better quality of life and I'll be playing again soon. I'm yet to get this out on a big course to stretch it's legs. What I've noticed on my few launch monitor sessions is that even my push spin doesn't go up.. like at all. My miss has been a snap hook when I'm getting too armsy and flip the head too quickly. That flip hook has completely gone away due to much better tempo control. Most of my shots are a slight push draw which I can totally handle because it's going to find the fairway with low spin and good distance. When there's no draw, the push is at most 20 yds offline and still carries like a draw shot. Even some of the shots that I would swear we're horrendous, are completely playable. 

I'll be honest, I'm really leaning towards this Garafalloy PL Blue. It feels a little bit more whippy but my #'s are really looking nice. I can still step on the gas and have complete control so that's awesome! I might give this another week or 2 and if I decide I want to commit, sell the Riptide and do 1 more comparison with a UST V2 HL F2-A.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

35 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

That's some awesome feedback! I'm bummed that my playing time has come to a screeching halt due to wife's surgery.. but big pic is that she'll be on her way to a better quality of life and I'll be playing again soon. I'm yet to get this out on a big course to stretch it's legs. What I've noticed on my few launch monitor sessions is that even my push spin doesn't go up.. like at all. My miss has been a snap hook when I'm getting too armsy and flip the head too quickly. That flip hook has completely gone away due to much better tempo control. Most of my shots are a slight push draw which I can totally handle because it's going to find the fairway with low spin and good distance. When there's no draw, the push is at most 20 yds offline and still carries like a draw shot. Even some of the shots that I would swear we're horrendous, are completely playable. 

I'll be honest, I'm really leaning towards this Garafalloy PL Blue. It feels a little bit more whippy but my #'s are really looking nice. I can still step on the gas and have complete control so that's awesome! I might give this another week or 2 and if I decide I want to commit, sell the Riptide and do 1 more comparison with a UST V2 HL F2-A.

Good luck on the recovery! Take care of that lady, and give her whatever rest she needs 🙂 (And your wife, also, of course)

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

During my fitting last year my SS was right in the 110-115 range but I truly feel swinging that x this year especially is slowing down. I mean I played a few times since I hurt my back and my swing doesn’t feel right with it. I’m 34 but I want to keep golfing without feeling sore when the round is over

3 hours ago, azstu324 said:

sell the Riptide

...hmmm .. may be interested....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

14 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

...hmmm .. may be interested....

I'll keep you posted. The Riptide isn't completely out of the running yet but I'll know in the next week or 2.

FYI, if I do end up selling it, it'll probably be without the tip. I'll be keeping that. If you really wanted me to keep the tip on it I may have to work that into the price. 

I'll keep you posted 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I'm sure I'll be critiqued on my hitchy back swing.. but here is a clip of what the club sounds like.. and I can hit shots like this all day with the OttoPhlex shaft. So good!

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I've gotten so caught up in the OttoPhlex thread that I've kind of neglected this one. 

For anyone still tuning in, the 0311 is become my most favorite drivers in the last 5 or 6 years. Like I mentioned, this is my first run at anything in the PXG family. It could be the combination of the driver with the OttoPhlex shaft but either way I'm so completely satisfied with my setup! 

The sensory aspects (look, sound, feel) are just perfect IMO. Very classic round shape and understated appearance. IMO this looks more "stealthy" than the actual TM Stealth. 

Performance wise, I couldn't be more happy. Again, it might just be the magic combo of shaft+ 0311 but I'm hitting hands down some of the longest and straightest pipe bombs EVER! When you have a "home course" that you've played numerous times, you know where a good drive stops.. the past 2 rounds, I'm hitting well past my good drive markers and dead center of the fairway. This isn't a fluke. 

Here are the drivers that I've played or demo'd over the past 5 years for reference 

Played past 5 yrs

Cobra LTD (OG model)

Cobra F8+

SIM Max

SIM2 Max

Cobra RadSpeed XB

Cobra RadSpeed 

Mizuno ST-Z

Demo'd in 2022

TM Stealth

Mizuno ST-Z 220

Cobra LTD (all)

Srixon ZX7

Callaway Rogue ST Max

MAXFLI  Tour CG

19 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I've gotten so caught up in the OttoPhlex thread that I've kind of neglected this one. 

For anyone still tuning in, the 0311 is become my most favorite drivers in the last 5 or 6 years. Like I mentioned, this is my first run at anything in the PXG family. It could be the combination of the driver with the OttoPhlex shaft but either way I'm so completely satisfied with my setup! 

The sensory aspects (look, sound, feel) are just perfect IMO. Very classic round shape and understated appearance. IMO this looks more "stealthy" than the actual TM Stealth. 

Performance wise, I couldn't be more happy. Again, it might just be the magic combo of shaft+ 0311 but I'm hitting hands down some of the longest and straightest pipe bombs EVER! When you have a "home course" that you've played numerous times, you know where a good drive stops.. the past 2 rounds, I'm hitting well past my good drive markers and dead center of the fairway. This isn't a fluke. 

I'll just ditto most of this (I wish I could say I'd demo'd/played what you have, but definitely not the case).  

I will say, however, that I've hit two balls OB in 3 rounds, and those two had nothing to do with the driver (I mean, not that they EVER do) - but this thing is SO incredibly forgiving.  The ease of use combined with the ease of swing from the Riptide 4.0 is just incredible - I'm not "working" at all, just reaching back and letting go, and the sound/feel is just SO good. 

For the first time ever, on Friday, I actually said after a hole:  "I should have hit driver" after I hit my "safe" club into trouble.  I just feel like I know where this thing is going to go.

I LOVE looking down at this thing, too.  It's just...confidence-inspiring.  (I have the XF, so the shaping is slightly different, but the topline is the same.)

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 4:51 PM, blackngold_blood said:

Comments like this are so funny to me. Next time try to get some context on what you are commenting on before hitting submit. 

I have hit shafts that range from 45g Regular flex Oban Devotion to a 65g X Stiff Kuro Kage XT with playable results. I swing anywhere between 107-113mph depending on how loose I can get my back. 

Glad I made your day.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone see the TXG review of the Gen5 driver? I don't remember their results to the number, and obviously all swings are different, but compared to other driver's Matt's hit recently, the results seemed... anomalous. Frankly, there are a lot of you whose reviews and anecdotes I trust quite a bit, as your consistency and such are solid, so their review doesn't quite jibe. Thoughts?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

14 hours ago, AH1980MN said:

Did anyone see the TXG review of the Gen5 driver? I don't remember their results to the number, and obviously all swings are different, but compared to other driver's Matt's hit recently, the results seemed... anomalous. Frankly, there are a lot of you whose reviews and anecdotes I trust quite a bit, as your consistency and such are solid, so their review doesn't quite jibe. Thoughts?

Yeah I did and it definitely was a letdown for me. Not just because of the results.. but Matt's very underwhelming response to nearly everything about the driver. This coming from a guy (me) who had  a set pre disposition to not like anything PXG years ago, but was completely converted when I saw and hit this driver. IMO it's one of the slickest looking/playing driver's on the market. I still don't get tired of looking down at it after playing it for the last 4 months. Now here's the catch for me, I was coming from the TXG DOTY in the 2021 Mizuno ST-Z. While the performance was great, I just never loved the shape or sound of the driver. So much so, that I was looking to go back to a SIM2 and possibly give up performance points for looks. Well when I Decided to give the 0311 a looksie, I'd found the happy place where the shape and look of the SIM2 meet the performance of the ST-Z. While I wasn't expecting it to majorly outperform the other drivers, I was certain that it would be a very strong showing.. but rather it was just "blah" across the board according to Matt. Almost to the point where I'm going "this has to be a set-up", and thinking that maybe Matt or TXG just had it out for PXG. Who knows? It certainly didn't change my mind about the driver, but perhaps sprinkled some concern about TXG's direction over my subconscious. I still watch all of their videos, but perhaps not quite as seriously as I did before. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

I was certain that it would be a very strong showing.. but rather it was just "blah" across the board according to Matt. Almost to the point where I'm going "this has to be a set-up", and thinking that maybe Matt or TXG just had it out for PXG. Who knows? It certainly didn't change my mind about the driver, but perhaps sprinkled some concern about TXG's direction over my subconscious. I still watch all of their videos, but perhaps not quite as seriously as I did before. 

I don’t think they said anything overly negative about the driver; they were mostly surprised that it took a 7.5 degree head to get to Matty’s normal distance/launch/spin numbers. I didn’t think it was anything that indicated a clear bias against PXG. If anything, it just reinforced the need to get fit for it. 

1 minute ago, Golfer56744 said:

I don’t think they said anything overly negative about the driver; they were mostly surprised that it took a 7.5 degree head to get to Matty’s normal distance/launch/spin numbers. I didn’t think it was anything that indicated a clear bias against PXG. If anything, it just reinforced the need to get fit for it. 

True, and maybe my statement was a little unfair. I think I had just built up such an anticipation for the TXG 0311 driver review that when it was kind of a ho hum reaction, I just felt let down by TXG (definitely not their fault). I guess I was just expecting far more ooh's and ahh's from Matt like some other drivers, rather than "hmm.. it's ok". My comment about having it out for PXG was really just a feeling based on what I was expecting to see and definitely not a solidified statement. I remember thinking "this just can't be!" Having come straight from their DOTY winner, I would have put $ on it being a DOTY candidate for 2022 and it kind of just fell flat in their review. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I also saw TXG's review, and was pretty surprised by Matty's reaction - that said, I've hit a few things he's loved in different golf shops and HATED the sound/look, etc., and am just reminded that golf is just SO subjective, it's not worth my time getting insulted someone doesn't like the thing I like, lol.  Also, it reminded me that I really want to get this thing in with a PXG fitter to ensure that I'm capitalizing as much as possible with the settings - for me, it feels like I found the sweet spot, but...watching them take Matty down to 7.5 was a good reminder that being "optimized" is hugely helpful/beneficial.  In fact, it's a thing I'll be focusing on in my upcoming fit - since I'm not looking for a new driver, I'll be asking the fitter to help me optimize this particular driver. 

It's still crazy to me, after playing this for the 2nd half of the year, how much a club (driver) can go from "I hate you and your fickle ways"  (Cobra head (which I loved, to be fair) with freakishly stiff shaft (which I hated)) to "you're so good to me baby"  (PXG with pool noodle shaft).  

This game is crazy. 🙂

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

14 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

I also saw TXG's review, and was pretty surprised by Matty's reaction - that said, I've hit a few things he's loved in different golf shops and HATED the sound/look, etc., and am just reminded that golf is just SO subjective, it's not worth my time getting insulted someone doesn't like the thing I like, lol.  Also, it reminded me that I really want to get this thing in with a PXG fitter to ensure that I'm capitalizing as much as possible with the settings - for me, it feels like I found the sweet spot, but...watching them take Matty down to 7.5 was a good reminder that being "optimized" is hugely helpful/beneficial.  In fact, it's a thing I'll be focusing on in my upcoming fit - since I'm not looking for a new driver, I'll be asking the fitter to help me optimize this particular driver. 

It's still crazy to me, after playing this for the 2nd half of the year, how much a club (driver) can go from "I hate you and your fickle ways"  (Cobra head (which I loved, to be fair) with freakishly stiff shaft (which I hated)) to "you're so good to me baby"  (PXG with pool noodle shaft).  

This game is crazy. 🙂

Excellent point with this and looking back, I do remember thinking that in all fairness, the TXG reviews probably don't have the time for a full weight swap, lie angle, and proper full adjustment fitting and that most reviews are done with just Matt's shaft of choice and preferred loft which is a pretty quick setup. The 0311 is a driver that was designed 100% with a controlled fitting process in mind which I don't think most drivers are fully designed for anyhow due to relying on the big box stores to push most of the volume. PXG is in full control of their fitting process so they can trust that their own guys will follow their process and not botch the fittings. After a few years of hating on PXG, I'm just now seeing the value in their concept. 

I remember getting "fit" for my ST-Z at a big retail store and just being underwhelmed at how little my fitter seemed to care about finding my optimal setup. Wasn't his fault, he just didn't have much to work with from a fitting standpoint. My #'s we're great by general standards and that's all he really seemed to care about. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG