PXG Gen 5 Driver?

I'm sure I'll be critiqued on my hitchy back swing.. but here is a clip of what the club sounds like.. and I can hit shots like this all day with the OttoPhlex shaft. So good!

• Like 5

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I've gotten so caught up in the OttoPhlex thread that I've kind of neglected this one. 

For anyone still tuning in, the 0311 is become my most favorite drivers in the last 5 or 6 years. Like I mentioned, this is my first run at anything in the PXG family. It could be the combination of the driver with the OttoPhlex shaft but either way I'm so completely satisfied with my setup! 

The sensory aspects (look, sound, feel) are just perfect IMO. Very classic round shape and understated appearance. IMO this looks more "stealthy" than the actual TM Stealth. 

Performance wise, I couldn't be more happy. Again, it might just be the magic combo of shaft+ 0311 but I'm hitting hands down some of the longest and straightest pipe bombs EVER! When you have a "home course" that you've played numerous times, you know where a good drive stops.. the past 2 rounds, I'm hitting well past my good drive markers and dead center of the fairway. This isn't a fluke. 

Here are the drivers that I've played or demo'd over the past 5 years for reference 

Played past 5 yrs

Cobra LTD (OG model)

Cobra F8+

SIM Max

SIM2 Max

Cobra RadSpeed XB

Cobra RadSpeed 

Mizuno ST-Z

Demo'd in 2022

TM Stealth

Mizuno ST-Z 220

Cobra LTD (all)

Srixon ZX7

Callaway Rogue ST Max

• Like 4
  • Love 1

MAXFLI  Tour CG

19 hours ago, azstu324 said:

I've gotten so caught up in the OttoPhlex thread that I've kind of neglected this one. 

For anyone still tuning in, the 0311 is become my most favorite drivers in the last 5 or 6 years. Like I mentioned, this is my first run at anything in the PXG family. It could be the combination of the driver with the OttoPhlex shaft but either way I'm so completely satisfied with my setup! 

The sensory aspects (look, sound, feel) are just perfect IMO. Very classic round shape and understated appearance. IMO this looks more "stealthy" than the actual TM Stealth. 

Performance wise, I couldn't be more happy. Again, it might just be the magic combo of shaft+ 0311 but I'm hitting hands down some of the longest and straightest pipe bombs EVER! When you have a "home course" that you've played numerous times, you know where a good drive stops.. the past 2 rounds, I'm hitting well past my good drive markers and dead center of the fairway. This isn't a fluke. 

I'll just ditto most of this (I wish I could say I'd demo'd/played what you have, but definitely not the case).  

I will say, however, that I've hit two balls OB in 3 rounds, and those two had nothing to do with the driver (I mean, not that they EVER do) - but this thing is SO incredibly forgiving.  The ease of use combined with the ease of swing from the Riptide 4.0 is just incredible - I'm not "working" at all, just reaching back and letting go, and the sound/feel is just SO good. 

For the first time ever, on Friday, I actually said after a hole:  "I should have hit driver" after I hit my "safe" club into trouble.  I just feel like I know where this thing is going to go.

I LOVE looking down at this thing, too.  It's just...confidence-inspiring.  (I have the XF, so the shaping is slightly different, but the topline is the same.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees, EvenFlow Riptide CB 40g 4.0
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature (changed to midsize grips) 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 4:51 PM, blackngold_blood said:

Comments like this are so funny to me. Next time try to get some context on what you are commenting on before hitting submit. 

I have hit shafts that range from 45g Regular flex Oban Devotion to a 65g X Stiff Kuro Kage XT with playable results. I swing anywhere between 107-113mph depending on how loose I can get my back. 

Glad I made your day.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Did anyone see the TXG review of the Gen5 driver? I don't remember their results to the number, and obviously all swings are different, but compared to other driver's Matt's hit recently, the results seemed... anomalous. Frankly, there are a lot of you whose reviews and anecdotes I trust quite a bit, as your consistency and such are solid, so their review doesn't quite jibe. Thoughts?

• Like 1

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

14 hours ago, AH1980MN said:

Did anyone see the TXG review of the Gen5 driver? I don't remember their results to the number, and obviously all swings are different, but compared to other driver's Matt's hit recently, the results seemed... anomalous. Frankly, there are a lot of you whose reviews and anecdotes I trust quite a bit, as your consistency and such are solid, so their review doesn't quite jibe. Thoughts?

Yeah I did and it definitely was a letdown for me. Not just because of the results.. but Matt's very underwhelming response to nearly everything about the driver. This coming from a guy (me) who had  a set pre disposition to not like anything PXG years ago, but was completely converted when I saw and hit this driver. IMO it's one of the slickest looking/playing driver's on the market. I still don't get tired of looking down at it after playing it for the last 4 months. Now here's the catch for me, I was coming from the TXG DOTY in the 2021 Mizuno ST-Z. While the performance was great, I just never loved the shape or sound of the driver. So much so, that I was looking to go back to a SIM2 and possibly give up performance points for looks. Well when I Decided to give the 0311 a looksie, I'd found the happy place where the shape and look of the SIM2 meet the performance of the ST-Z. While I wasn't expecting it to majorly outperform the other drivers, I was certain that it would be a very strong showing.. but rather it was just "blah" across the board according to Matt. Almost to the point where I'm going "this has to be a set-up", and thinking that maybe Matt or TXG just had it out for PXG. Who knows? It certainly didn't change my mind about the driver, but perhaps sprinkled some concern about TXG's direction over my subconscious. I still watch all of their videos, but perhaps not quite as seriously as I did before. 

• Like 3

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

I was certain that it would be a very strong showing.. but rather it was just "blah" across the board according to Matt. Almost to the point where I'm going "this has to be a set-up", and thinking that maybe Matt or TXG just had it out for PXG. Who knows? It certainly didn't change my mind about the driver, but perhaps sprinkled some concern about TXG's direction over my subconscious. I still watch all of their videos, but perhaps not quite as seriously as I did before. 

I don’t think they said anything overly negative about the driver; they were mostly surprised that it took a 7.5 degree head to get to Matty’s normal distance/launch/spin numbers. I didn’t think it was anything that indicated a clear bias against PXG. If anything, it just reinforced the need to get fit for it. 

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G425 LST, 10.5 degrees  

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max 3HL 16.5 degrees 

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black 20 degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 21 5-PW

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48, 54, 60; Vokey SM4 58 degrees

Putter: SeeMore Original FGP/Odyssey White Hot OG #9

1 minute ago, Golfer56744 said:

I don’t think they said anything overly negative about the driver; they were mostly surprised that it took a 7.5 degree head to get to Matty’s normal distance/launch/spin numbers. I didn’t think it was anything that indicated a clear bias against PXG. If anything, it just reinforced the need to get fit for it. 

True, and maybe my statement was a little unfair. I think I had just built up such an anticipation for the TXG 0311 driver review that when it was kind of a ho hum reaction, I just felt let down by TXG (definitely not their fault). I guess I was just expecting far more ooh's and ahh's from Matt like some other drivers, rather than "hmm.. it's ok". My comment about having it out for PXG was really just a feeling based on what I was expecting to see and definitely not a solidified statement. I remember thinking "this just can't be!" Having come straight from their DOTY winner, I would have put $ on it being a DOTY candidate for 2022 and it kind of just fell flat in their review. 

• Like 2

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I also saw TXG's review, and was pretty surprised by Matty's reaction - that said, I've hit a few things he's loved in different golf shops and HATED the sound/look, etc., and am just reminded that golf is just SO subjective, it's not worth my time getting insulted someone doesn't like the thing I like, lol.  Also, it reminded me that I really want to get this thing in with a PXG fitter to ensure that I'm capitalizing as much as possible with the settings - for me, it feels like I found the sweet spot, but...watching them take Matty down to 7.5 was a good reminder that being "optimized" is hugely helpful/beneficial.  In fact, it's a thing I'll be focusing on in my upcoming fit - since I'm not looking for a new driver, I'll be asking the fitter to help me optimize this particular driver. 

It's still crazy to me, after playing this for the 2nd half of the year, how much a club (driver) can go from "I hate you and your fickle ways"  (Cobra head (which I loved, to be fair) with freakishly stiff shaft (which I hated)) to "you're so good to me baby"  (PXG with pool noodle shaft).  

This game is crazy. 🙂

• Like 5

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees, EvenFlow Riptide CB 40g 4.0
3/5 Wood - Warrior Golf (don't ask)
Utility - :cobra-small: King Utility - 2 Iron
Irons (4-PW) - :taylormade-small:- SIM Max, Nippon Modus Tour 105 Stiff
Wedges (52, 56, 60) - Kirkland Signature (changed to midsize grips) 
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Snell MTB Black/Vice Pro Plus

14 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

I also saw TXG's review, and was pretty surprised by Matty's reaction - that said, I've hit a few things he's loved in different golf shops and HATED the sound/look, etc., and am just reminded that golf is just SO subjective, it's not worth my time getting insulted someone doesn't like the thing I like, lol.  Also, it reminded me that I really want to get this thing in with a PXG fitter to ensure that I'm capitalizing as much as possible with the settings - for me, it feels like I found the sweet spot, but...watching them take Matty down to 7.5 was a good reminder that being "optimized" is hugely helpful/beneficial.  In fact, it's a thing I'll be focusing on in my upcoming fit - since I'm not looking for a new driver, I'll be asking the fitter to help me optimize this particular driver. 

It's still crazy to me, after playing this for the 2nd half of the year, how much a club (driver) can go from "I hate you and your fickle ways"  (Cobra head (which I loved, to be fair) with freakishly stiff shaft (which I hated)) to "you're so good to me baby"  (PXG with pool noodle shaft).  

This game is crazy. 🙂

Excellent point with this and looking back, I do remember thinking that in all fairness, the TXG reviews probably don't have the time for a full weight swap, lie angle, and proper full adjustment fitting and that most reviews are done with just Matt's shaft of choice and preferred loft which is a pretty quick setup. The 0311 is a driver that was designed 100% with a controlled fitting process in mind which I don't think most drivers are fully designed for anyhow due to relying on the big box stores to push most of the volume. PXG is in full control of their fitting process so they can trust that their own guys will follow their process and not botch the fittings. After a few years of hating on PXG, I'm just now seeing the value in their concept. 

I remember getting "fit" for my ST-Z at a big retail store and just being underwhelmed at how little my fitter seemed to care about finding my optimal setup. Wasn't his fault, he just didn't have much to work with from a fitting standpoint. My #'s we're great by general standards and that's all he really seemed to care about. 

• Like 2

MAXFLI  Tour CG

8 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

the TXG reviews probably don't have the time for a full weight swap, lie angle, and proper full adjustment fitting and that most reviews are done with just Matt's shaft of choice and preferred loft which is a pretty quick setup.

I think you are right. They said at the end that they had the 7.5 gram weights in the heel and rear positions. I’m willing to bet those spin numbers would have come down if they experimented with PXG’s available weight setups. 

I was curious what PXG said about spin on its 0311X driver. There are too many variables to compare apples-to-apples, but here’s PXG’s numbers and a screenshot of Matty’s numbers. I’d be interested to see what PXG’s results were at Matty’s club head and ball speeds. 55FE9482-2038-4A0E-A6C4-DD3DB0E478E7.png.1fbdd499786128104c3d577cbadac88a.pngB34F944B-22BF-4FA0-AFCF-16883BCB4402.jpeg.b5a27b8abdec02ba026f214549c1d736.jpeg

• Like 3

Driver: Ping G425 LST, 10.5 degrees  

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max 3HL 16.5 degrees 

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black 20 degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 21 5-PW

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48, 54, 60; Vokey SM4 58 degrees

Putter: SeeMore Original FGP/Odyssey White Hot OG #9

$299 for Gen 5 drivers... bonkers... don't know how Bob continues to do this.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

The feel of the gen 5 driver just didn’t do it for me. Felt like a very firm face, similar to a rock. Very different than my G425

• Like 1

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

The feel of the gen 5 driver just didn’t do it for me. Felt like a very firm face, similar to a rock. Very different than my G425

I actually felt the exact same way until I adjusted the head weight to match the g425 lst. By adding only 2.5g(5g weight for the 2.5g), the driver felt more lively off the face. 

• Like 1

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag

Driver:    :ping-small: G430 LST 9*(set at big minus) with a BGT Brava X shaft @ 45.25”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX5 4-PW with Modus 105S 

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Zipcore 50* bent to 48*

Putter:  SIK Jo slant neck @ 33”   

On 8/31/2022 at 10:37 AM, Samsonite said:

Welp...after listing a few little things for sale I'm not using any more, I decided to pull the trigger and order the 0311 XF (Gen 5) in 9 degree.  For $299, free shipping and 60 days to try it out, and if it outperforms or even matches my Cobra from two years ago, it's a no-brainer keep and then I can offload the Cobra for whatever I can get for it.  

We'll see what the result is - I went with a REALLY different set-up than my previous Hzrds Smoke 60g Stiff (which, when tested at a fitter, was apparently coming in at 2x Stiff - no wonder it's been problematic):  Gen5 0311XF (figuring the extra forgiveness can never hurt me), ProjectX Riptide CB 40 4.0 in L flex, midsize grip (LOVE the midsize ever since testing it at a Roger Dunn).

The real wildcard here is the L-flex shaft - but after seeing the Mobile Clubmaker's video with Mr. Shortgame, I am VERY intrigued with this (for those that didn't see it, he compared the "AutoFlex" shaft against two other shafts - the Riptide CB and a discontinued shaft from 2011 (forgive me for not remembering the name off-hand - I think it was a Fujikura), and they performed almost exactly the same as the "AutoFlex", but at WAY cheaper.  Given my experience with the LagShot driver (incredibly whippy shaft with heavy head, for me, equaled crazy-straight, playable drives), I thought this was a fun way to test this combo out.  

If I hate it - well, I have 60 days to send it back for a full refund (or, more likely, try out a different combo if I can take it to a local fitter).  So it feels like a fun experiment.  The potential upside is that, for effectively just more than the cost of the shaft alone, I get to try out something that's as current as can be, and could potentially be a (pardon the over-usage) game-changer. 

I'll let you know what's what when I get it in-hand sometime in the next two weeks. 

-S

Your timing has to be very on to swing a extra light flex shaft. With the release happening early. It can cause bad habits when or if you have to switch back to a stiff flex shaft. Just a heads up. Be careful using light shaft flex for extra yards as it will really punish you if your timing is off on any particular round. 

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 project x LZ 60 6.0 handcrafted shaft

CallawayEpic Flash 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

Callaway Big Bertha 19' irons 4-AW

Titleist SM7 Jet black with TT onyx black s400 shaft 50°

Callaway MD4 black 54° sand wedge

Callaway PM19 60° tour grey

Odyssey Toulon San Diego putter

1592935174442966599406225697326.jpg

On 10/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, azstu324 said:

Here are the drivers that I've played or demo'd over the past 5 years for reference 

Played past 5 yrs

Cobra LTD (OG model)

Cobra F8+

SIM Max

SIM2 Max

Cobra RadSpeed XB

Cobra RadSpeed 

Mizuno ST-Z

Demo'd in 2022

TM Stealth

Mizuno ST-Z 220

Cobra LTD (all)

Srixon ZX7

Callaway Rogue ST Max

Can you post an update. Curious on this one for sure.

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

On 8/31/2022 at 10:37 AM, Samsonite said:

Welp...after listing a few little things for sale I'm not using any more, I decided to pull the trigger and order the 0311 XF (Gen 5) in 9 degree.  For $299, free shipping and 60 days to try it out, and if it outperforms or even matches my Cobra from two years ago, it's a no-brainer keep and then I can offload the Cobra for whatever I can get for it.  

We'll see what the result is - I went with a REALLY different set-up than my previous Hzrds Smoke 60g Stiff (which, when tested at a fitter, was apparently coming in at 2x Stiff - no wonder it's been problematic):  Gen5 0311XF (figuring the extra forgiveness can never hurt me), ProjectX Riptide CB 40 4.0 in L flex, midsize grip (LOVE the midsize ever since testing it at a Roger Dunn).

The real wildcard here is the L-flex shaft - but after seeing the Mobile Clubmaker's video with Mr. Shortgame, I am VERY intrigued with this (for those that didn't see it, he compared the "AutoFlex" shaft against two other shafts - the Riptide CB and a discontinued shaft from 2011 (forgive me for not remembering the name off-hand - I think it was a Fujikura), and they performed almost exactly the same as the "AutoFlex", but at WAY cheaper.  Given my experience with the LagShot driver (incredibly whippy shaft with heavy head, for me, equaled crazy-straight, playable drives), I thought this was a fun way to test this combo out.  

If I hate it - well, I have 60 days to send it back for a full refund (or, more likely, try out a different combo if I can take it to a local fitter).  So it feels like a fun experiment.  The potential upside is that, for effectively just more than the cost of the shaft alone, I get to try out something that's as current as can be, and could potentially be a (pardon the over-usage) game-changer. 

I'll let you know what's what when I get it in-hand sometime in the next two weeks. 

-S

Hey meant to respond to you and posted to somebody else. Give us an update if you can. I know it's been cold so not sure how much you have tested. The extra light flex can be a problem if you are off on your swing timing. So if consistency is an issue you can see y'all problems. Just curious how this turned out.

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

On 10/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, azstu324 said:

Played past 5 yrs

Cobra LTD (OG model)

Cobra F8+

SIM Max

SIM2 Max

Cobra RadSpeed XB

Cobra RadSpeed 

Mizuno ST-Z

Demo'd in 2022

TM Stealth

Mizuno ST-Z 220

Cobra LTD (all)

Srixon ZX7

Callaway Rogue ST Max

Sorry meant to reply to another post asking for update

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

18 minutes ago, GivMeADouble said:

Your timing has to be very on to swing a extra light flex shaft. With the release happening early. It can cause bad habits when or if you have to switch back to a stiff flex shaft. Just a heads up. Be careful using light shaft flex for extra yards as it will really punish you if your timing is off on any particular round. 

In case you haven't stumbled on it already, we have a whole thread (44 pages) discussing this very idea. It's definitely very experimental but with the correct setup, it's proven to yield some great results for quite a lot of folks. 

there are some very specific parameters that must be adhered to but when followed correctly, the shaft can play pretty close to how a shaft should without imparting any unwanted flex or disbursement issues. 

it's definitely not for everyone but definitely intriguing to a lot.  

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/53310-shaft-hack-the-otto-phlex-journey/?do=findComment&comment=866253

• Like 2

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Bought the Gen V with veterans deal. Went from an early model Epic w/stiff shaft to Gen V w/R shaft. Hit it well but seemed to miss some drives left.

Fade to slice. Felt nice. Looked good. Just couldn't get "comfortable". Have switched back to my Epic. 

Price point was great for wanting to upgrade my Epic. Will keep looking next year.

• Like 1