Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

PXG Gen 5 Driver?

azstu324

8 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

the TXG reviews probably don't have the time for a full weight swap, lie angle, and proper full adjustment fitting and that most reviews are done with just Matt's shaft of choice and preferred loft which is a pretty quick setup.

I think you are right. They said at the end that they had the 7.5 gram weights in the heel and rear positions. I’m willing to bet those spin numbers would have come down if they experimented with PXG’s available weight setups. 

I was curious what PXG said about spin on its 0311X driver. There are too many variables to compare apples-to-apples, but here’s PXG’s numbers and a screenshot of Matty’s numbers. I’d be interested to see what PXG’s results were at Matty’s club head and ball speeds. 55FE9482-2038-4A0E-A6C4-DD3DB0E478E7.png.1fbdd499786128104c3d577cbadac88a.pngB34F944B-22BF-4FA0-AFCF-16883BCB4402.jpeg.b5a27b8abdec02ba026f214549c1d736.jpeg

$299 for Gen 5 drivers... bonkers... don't know how Bob continues to do this.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

The feel of the gen 5 driver just didn’t do it for me. Felt like a very firm face, similar to a rock. Very different than my G425

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

The feel of the gen 5 driver just didn’t do it for me. Felt like a very firm face, similar to a rock. Very different than my G425

I actually felt the exact same way until I adjusted the head weight to match the g425 lst. By adding only 2.5g(5g weight for the 2.5g), the driver felt more lively off the face. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

On 8/31/2022 at 10:37 AM, Samsonite said:

Welp...after listing a few little things for sale I'm not using any more, I decided to pull the trigger and order the 0311 XF (Gen 5) in 9 degree.  For $299, free shipping and 60 days to try it out, and if it outperforms or even matches my Cobra from two years ago, it's a no-brainer keep and then I can offload the Cobra for whatever I can get for it.  

We'll see what the result is - I went with a REALLY different set-up than my previous Hzrds Smoke 60g Stiff (which, when tested at a fitter, was apparently coming in at 2x Stiff - no wonder it's been problematic):  Gen5 0311XF (figuring the extra forgiveness can never hurt me), ProjectX Riptide CB 40 4.0 in L flex, midsize grip (LOVE the midsize ever since testing it at a Roger Dunn).

The real wildcard here is the L-flex shaft - but after seeing the Mobile Clubmaker's video with Mr. Shortgame, I am VERY intrigued with this (for those that didn't see it, he compared the "AutoFlex" shaft against two other shafts - the Riptide CB and a discontinued shaft from 2011 (forgive me for not remembering the name off-hand - I think it was a Fujikura), and they performed almost exactly the same as the "AutoFlex", but at WAY cheaper.  Given my experience with the LagShot driver (incredibly whippy shaft with heavy head, for me, equaled crazy-straight, playable drives), I thought this was a fun way to test this combo out.  

If I hate it - well, I have 60 days to send it back for a full refund (or, more likely, try out a different combo if I can take it to a local fitter).  So it feels like a fun experiment.  The potential upside is that, for effectively just more than the cost of the shaft alone, I get to try out something that's as current as can be, and could potentially be a (pardon the over-usage) game-changer. 

I'll let you know what's what when I get it in-hand sometime in the next two weeks. 

-S

Your timing has to be very on to swing a extra light flex shaft. With the release happening early. It can cause bad habits when or if you have to switch back to a stiff flex shaft. Just a heads up. Be careful using light shaft flex for extra yards as it will really punish you if your timing is off on any particular round. 

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 project x LZ 60 6.0 handcrafted shaft

CallawayEpic Flash 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

Callaway Big Bertha 19' irons 4-AW

Titleist SM7 Jet black with TT onyx black s400 shaft 50°

Callaway MD4 black 54° sand wedge

Callaway PM19 60° tour grey

Odyssey Toulon San Diego putter

1592935174442966599406225697326.jpg

On 10/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, azstu324 said:

I've gotten so caught up in the OttoPhlex thread that I've kind of neglected this one. 

For anyone still tuning in, the 0311 is become my most favorite drivers in the last 5 or 6 years. Like I mentioned, this is my first run at anything in the PXG family. It could be the combination of the driver with the OttoPhlex shaft but either way I'm so completely satisfied with my setup! 

The sensory aspects (look, sound, feel) are just perfect IMO. Very classic round shape and understated appearance. IMO this looks more "stealthy" than the actual TM Stealth. 

Performance wise, I couldn't be more happy. Again, it might just be the magic combo of shaft+ 0311 but I'm hitting hands down some of the longest and straightest pipe bombs EVER! When you have a "home course" that you've played numerous times, you know where a good drive stops.. the past 2 rounds, I'm hitting well past my good drive markers and dead center of the fairway. This isn't a fluke. 

Here are the drivers that I've played or demo'd over the past 5 years for reference 

Played past 5 yrs

Cobra LTD (OG model)

Cobra F8+

SIM Max

SIM2 Max

Cobra RadSpeed XB

Cobra RadSpeed 

Mizuno ST-Z

Demo'd in 2022

TM Stealth

Mizuno ST-Z 220

Cobra LTD (all)

Srixon ZX7

Callaway Rogue ST Max

Can you post an update. Curious on this one for sure.

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

On 8/31/2022 at 10:37 AM, Samsonite said:

Welp...after listing a few little things for sale I'm not using any more, I decided to pull the trigger and order the 0311 XF (Gen 5) in 9 degree.  For $299, free shipping and 60 days to try it out, and if it outperforms or even matches my Cobra from two years ago, it's a no-brainer keep and then I can offload the Cobra for whatever I can get for it.  

We'll see what the result is - I went with a REALLY different set-up than my previous Hzrds Smoke 60g Stiff (which, when tested at a fitter, was apparently coming in at 2x Stiff - no wonder it's been problematic):  Gen5 0311XF (figuring the extra forgiveness can never hurt me), ProjectX Riptide CB 40 4.0 in L flex, midsize grip (LOVE the midsize ever since testing it at a Roger Dunn).

The real wildcard here is the L-flex shaft - but after seeing the Mobile Clubmaker's video with Mr. Shortgame, I am VERY intrigued with this (for those that didn't see it, he compared the "AutoFlex" shaft against two other shafts - the Riptide CB and a discontinued shaft from 2011 (forgive me for not remembering the name off-hand - I think it was a Fujikura), and they performed almost exactly the same as the "AutoFlex", but at WAY cheaper.  Given my experience with the LagShot driver (incredibly whippy shaft with heavy head, for me, equaled crazy-straight, playable drives), I thought this was a fun way to test this combo out.  

If I hate it - well, I have 60 days to send it back for a full refund (or, more likely, try out a different combo if I can take it to a local fitter).  So it feels like a fun experiment.  The potential upside is that, for effectively just more than the cost of the shaft alone, I get to try out something that's as current as can be, and could potentially be a (pardon the over-usage) game-changer. 

I'll let you know what's what when I get it in-hand sometime in the next two weeks. 

-S

Hey meant to respond to you and posted to somebody else. Give us an update if you can. I know it's been cold so not sure how much you have tested. The extra light flex can be a problem if you are off on your swing timing. So if consistency is an issue you can see y'all problems. Just curious how this turned out.

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

On 10/3/2022 at 3:45 PM, azstu324 said:

I've gotten so caught up in the OttoPhlex thread that I've kind of neglected this one. 

For anyone still tuning in, the 0311 is become my most favorite drivers in the last 5 or 6 years. Like I mentioned, this is my first run at anything in the PXG family. It could be the combination of the driver with the OttoPhlex shaft but either way I'm so completely satisfied with my setup! 

The sensory aspects (look, sound, feel) are just perfect IMO. Very classic round shape and understated appearance. IMO this looks more "stealthy" than the actual TM Stealth. 

Performance wise, I couldn't be more happy. Again, it might just be the magic combo of shaft+ 0311 but I'm hitting hands down some of the longest and straightest pipe bombs EVER! When you have a "home course" that you've played numerous times, you know where a good drive stops.. the past 2 rounds, I'm hitting well past my good drive markers and dead center of the fairway. This isn't a fluke. 

Here are the drivers that I've played or demo'd over the past 5 years for reference 

Played past 5 yrs

Cobra LTD (OG model)

Cobra F8+

SIM Max

SIM2 Max

Cobra RadSpeed XB

Cobra RadSpeed 

Mizuno ST-Z

Demo'd in 2022

TM Stealth

Mizuno ST-Z 220

Cobra LTD (all)

Srixon ZX7

Callaway Rogue ST Max

Sorry meant to reply to another post asking for update

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

18 minutes ago, GivMeADouble said:

Your timing has to be very on to swing a extra light flex shaft. With the release happening early. It can cause bad habits when or if you have to switch back to a stiff flex shaft. Just a heads up. Be careful using light shaft flex for extra yards as it will really punish you if your timing is off on any particular round. 

In case you haven't stumbled on it already, we have a whole thread (44 pages) discussing this very idea. It's definitely very experimental but with the correct setup, it's proven to yield some great results for quite a lot of folks. 

there are some very specific parameters that must be adhered to but when followed correctly, the shaft can play pretty close to how a shaft should without imparting any unwanted flex or disbursement issues. 

it's definitely not for everyone but definitely intriguing to a lot.  

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/53310-shaft-hack-the-otto-phlex-journey/?do=findComment&comment=866253

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Bought the Gen V with veterans deal. Went from an early model Epic w/stiff shaft to Gen V w/R shaft. Hit it well but seemed to miss some drives left.

Fade to slice. Felt nice. Looked good. Just couldn't get "comfortable". Have switched back to my Epic. 

Price point was great for wanting to upgrade my Epic. Will keep looking next year.

On 8/31/2022 at 8:28 PM, azstu324 said:

I know I know.. likely story. I actually vetted him out (super spy stuff) before I bought the club and everything checked out. The guy is legit

Begs the question. What the hades is going on at PXG?  Mr. Parsons can market at any price he wants, but sounds a little like he is having cash flow problems if parts come out of the plant that cheap for 3rd party sales. Or someone is carrying out unsold inventory. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

1 minute ago, WiTerp50 said:

Begs the question. What the hades is going on at PXG?  Mr. Parsons can market at any price he wants, but sounds a little like he is having cash flow problems if parts come out of the plant that cheap for 3rd party sales. Or someone is carrying out unsold inventory. 

I seriously doubt Mr. Parsons is having cash flow problems. Resale value for PXG tends to be low as he offers sales quite often but that isn’t a negative, even to this massive club ho. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

On 12/26/2022 at 9:14 AM, GivMeADouble said:

Hey meant to respond to you and posted to somebody else. Give us an update if you can. I know it's been cold so not sure how much you have tested. The extra light flex can be a problem if you are off on your swing timing. So if consistency is an issue you can see y'all problems. Just curious how this turned out.

Hey! No problem at all - @azstu324 spearheaded an amazing thread where lots of other folks attempted this very thing - it's a long, fun, fascinating read if you're ever interested.  Highly recommended. 

Stu and I had the same thought at the same time - with the sale on the driver, what if we tried this Autoflex-esque idea (cleverly named Otto Phlex by Stu in the thread) that Mr. Shortgame and Mobile Clubmaker (via YouTube) tried out - going to two flexes softer and two designations lighter to get similar results at a 10th(ish) the price.  

So far, I will say that I absolutely love my set-up.  A little about what got me here (that I'm sure you would have missed as it was dispersed through several different threads over 6 months or so):  My previous driver was a Cobra Speedzone (loved the look at address, and when hit out of the middle (rare), it was a rocket for my medium swing-speed (right about 100mph on a good day)) with a Hzrds Smoke 60g Stiff shaft.  However, I had a VERY hard time feeling where the head was in the backswing - I just could never really make it work for me - missed a LOT of shots out to the right (not even "slices", although that was a swing defect that I dealt with separately) - just blocked out to the right.  I bought a LagShot swing trainer - if you're not familiar, it's a hittable training aid (driver head actually looks vaguely Callaway-ish, in fact) with an incredibly flexible blue shaft - idea being you can really feel the head load on the way back, and it helps your tempo.  The insane thing, to me, anyway, is that I was able to hit that club WAY better/more consistent than my driver.  Not as far, sure, but I was VERY happy trading 20 yards (ish) while being in the middle of the fairway.  I did try adding some lead tape to the bottom of my Cobra, which did in fact help some, but I still had a very hard time feeling the head at the top of my swing. 

So when I saw the video on YouTube about finding an ultralight/flexible shaft, it suddenly made a ton of sense for me to try.  

I'm certainly not going to say that I absolutely crush every drive dead straight with this new set-up, lol, but my misses have become SO much more manageable, and my *hits* have become dead-center/slightly above center and just feel incredible.  I find this XF head to be (hands-down) more forgiving than my Cobra (again, to be fair, my Cobra was not the "Extreme" model, so that's not entirely an apples-to-apples comparison), and I've hit my longest drives ever with this set-up. 

I hear what you're saying about tempo - but seeing as the too-stiff shaft I had was ALSO causing timing issues (in that I was kind of guessing as to when I was loaded), this set-up has been a real delight.  I still may tinker a little (adding a lead tape, just to see what effect it has, etc.), and I have a fitting scheduled at TrueSpec on Jan 6 where I plan to see if they can't help me optimize my settings 100%, but for a random experiment, this has been a resounding success!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 1:28 PM, Samsonite said:

Hey! No problem at all - @azstu324 spearheaded an amazing thread where lots of other folks attempted this very thing - it's a long, fun, fascinating read if you're ever interested.  Highly recommended. 

Stu and I had the same thought at the same time - with the sale on the driver, what if we tried this Autoflex-esque idea (cleverly named Otto Phlex by Stu in the thread) that Mr. Shortgame and Mobile Clubmaker (via YouTube) tried out - going to two flexes softer and two designations lighter to get similar results at a 10th(ish) the price.  

So far, I will say that I absolutely love my set-up.  A little about what got me here (that I'm sure you would have missed as it was dispersed through several different threads over 6 months or so):  My previous driver was a Cobra Speedzone (loved the look at address, and when hit out of the middle (rare), it was a rocket for my medium swing-speed (right about 100mph on a good day)) with a Hzrds Smoke 60g Stiff shaft.  However, I had a VERY hard time feeling where the head was in the backswing - I just could never really make it work for me - missed a LOT of shots out to the right (not even "slices", although that was a swing defect that I dealt with separately) - just blocked out to the right.  I bought a LagShot swing trainer - if you're not familiar, it's a hittable training aid (driver head actually looks vaguely Callaway-ish, in fact) with an incredibly flexible blue shaft - idea being you can really feel the head load on the way back, and it helps your tempo.  The insane thing, to me, anyway, is that I was able to hit that club WAY better/more consistent than my driver.  Not as far, sure, but I was VERY happy trading 20 yards (ish) while being in the middle of the fairway.  I did try adding some lead tape to the bottom of my Cobra, which did in fact help some, but I still had a very hard time feeling the head at the top of my swing. 

So when I saw the video on YouTube about finding an ultralight/flexible shaft, it suddenly made a ton of sense for me to try.  

I'm certainly not going to say that I absolutely crush every drive dead straight with this new set-up, lol, but my misses have become SO much more manageable, and my *hits* have become dead-center/slightly above center and just feel incredible.  I find this XF head to be (hands-down) more forgiving than my Cobra (again, to be fair, my Cobra was not the "Extreme" model, so that's not entirely an apples-to-apples comparison), and I've hit my longest drives ever with this set-up. 

I hear what you're saying about tempo - but seeing as the too-stiff shaft I had was ALSO causing timing issues (in that I was kind of guessing as to when I was loaded), this set-up has been a real delight.  I still may tinker a little (adding a lead tape, just to see what effect it has, etc.), and I have a fitting scheduled at TrueSpec on Jan 6 where I plan to see if they can't help me optimize my settings 100%, but for a random experiment, this has been a resounding success!

Thanks for the update. Yeah I'm sure the lag s*** trainer could definitely help when trying the lighter set-up. Sounds like it went great. Glad to hear it 

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H