Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Time for PGA tour to refresh itself, dump Eastlake

higherplane

It is time to make the tour better for fans, given the LIV shake out, and playing a "Championship" on the same, not so great course (although does a lot for charity) every year is just boring.         

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

idea: how about at the following years u.s. open venue? then the top guys could have the additional advantage, at the open, of practicing for the open while competing for however many millions next year. Which, may cause the guys like jon rahm who hate the format to hate it a little less.

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

4 minutes ago, LICC said:

Or have Gil Hanse come in and do a complete restoration.

that would take some time. but yeah, if they want to stay at east lake, especially this time of year? 

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

I can see how from TV East lake seems boring. It's a pretty straight course. But if your not playing from the fairway it can be punishing as we saw yesterday. I will saying having been there in person for the last 2 years, it is an excellent course and setup for the fan experience. Easy to watch range warmups, follow your favorite player/easily walkable, and players are pretty easily accessible for autograph seekers post round. There are some great location/seat setups for the VIP experience. The 15th green was a blast. Never been to Wilmington or Southwind so can't comment on those courses.

Minor tweak, what about just rotating between Wilmington, Southwind, and East Lake like College Football playoffs do with the BCS bowl locations?

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

3 hours ago, ryan.mzzz said:

idea: how about at the following years u.s. open venue?

That's an interesting, out-of-the-box idea. The one hiccup I could see (albeit not being in this camp of people) is that most US Open Courses are private and would their members want to give up that many playing days for tournaments? The Shotgun Start mentioned that it would be good to move across the country having the first event on the east coast, second event midwest and the third event on the west coast. 

1 hour ago, RDel90 said:

Minor tweak, what about just rotating between Wilmington, Southwind, and East Lake like College Football playoffs do with the BCS bowl locations?

Playing tournament golf in Memphis and Atlanta in August just seems insane to me. I know it is because of Fedex and Coke/Southern Company but still, why subject the players to that? Seems like that would be a great time to hold it up North or Northeast. This is coming from someone who lives in TN. Also, Southwind has some cool holes but it basically runs through an office park which is pretty ugly to look at. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832