Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

DQOTD: Will Mizuno phase out the T22 when they roll out the S23?

Middler

I'm replacing my clubs this Fall, and I think I'd rather have the T22 than the S23 for wedges, but I won't know until I see/try them both. I don't see a former Sxx model, I gather it was the ES21 and they discontinued that early? Anyone know if Mizuno plans to offer the latest T and the latest S edition wedges? TIA

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

As far as I'm aware, the S wedges are a "game improvement" version and Mizuno cycles releases. GI one year and non GI the next. Next T wedges will probably be T24 towards the end of next year.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

^^^ I know all that thanks. What I am asking is do they offer an S and a T version at all times, or does for example the T22 stop production when the S23 begins? At present the only specialty wedges Mizuno shows on their website is the T22, there is no S that I can see. Odds are I'm not going to want an S23 (but I can't know without seeing it), so I want to know if I will still be able to custom order a T22 once the S23 is on the market.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

• 3 weeks later...

Usually, they will have both the S and T lines of the wedges available at the same time.  They usually only discontinue a line when the replacement for either line is "on it's way".  I.e. with the ES21 which the S23 is due to replace was taken off of Mizuno's site a few months ago, but was available the whole time that the T22 was available.

So, In summary, both lines of the Mizuno wedges are available at the same time.

Another note:  While the S line tends to be more for "non-tour" players, and the T line is for "tour-ish" players, in the past the S wedges weren't really that small or forgiving.  From what I can remember, the "S" and "T" stood for "silhouette" and "teardrop" in reference to the shaping, not "steam-shovel" and "tour" as others have suggested.  🙂 I don't think they look THAT much smaller than the T20s or T22s that I've seen, at least at address.

However, this new S23 model (and the ES21 before it) does have a much more "friendly" tech appearance, at least from the back of the club.

Judging by my game, I'll take all the help I can get.  Copper looks lit.