What kind of stats do you keep for your own play?

I watched this guest video from Genevieve Ling on GolfSidekicks youtube channel and it made me think about keeping better stats for myself. I own a ShotScope V2 so that helps but what about the stats kept on the scorecard? This video made me think more about what additional stats I should keep.

What stats do you keep and what do you think are the most useful stats for amateur to keep?

• Like 2

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

I am also a follower of the Baus. But I do take a different approach to stat keeping than most. Though all stats can be tracked through the GHIN app.

I track "good drives'. I'm on public courses 95% of the time, the rough isn't penal, so I don't really care about hitting fairways. As long as I have an unobstructed second shot that is roughly the distance I think I should have, it's a good drive.

I track GIR, but I expand it. If I can use a putter and I'm on the fringe or front apron, it's a GIR.

I track putts, & a I put a tick mark down for any Up & Downs. 

The last two rounds I looked back at the score card to seee where I made a mistake. Mistakes are 3 putts, bogeys with wedge, or on a par 5, or any double bogey.

• Like 4

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I pretty much do Shot Scope exclusively but wonder if the data is all that useful to me.

I look at the decade 5 as I think that gives a good indication for improvement.

prior to both my coach had me track: FW and if I have a clear shot to the green, approach distance, GIR, nGIR, putts, putt distances, 

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Pretty much GIR and putts for me if its just me and not a match ahppening with other stakes.

• Like 2

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ

:titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

With Arccos, the stats are endless...  Still loving it.

I am finding the detailed approach and short game / putting stats very interesting.

• Like 2

:titelist-small:  TSi 3   9.0  AV Raw White 65 Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 AV Raw White 75 Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3 21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

Haywood  5-PW iron Signature - Recoil 780 ES F4 Stiff - Bent 2 deg flat

:taylormade-small:  52 - 09 Tour Preferred EF  - KBS Tour Wedge 

Haywood   56 - 12 KBS Tour Wedge

:taylormade-small:  60 - 10 Tour Preferred - KBS Tour Wedge 

:titelist-small:  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35

:srixon-small: Z-Star XV 

image.png.1cf0013c54bf0f68066ba2034c7799d0.png

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021

I track fairways, GIR and putts.

Fairway is fairway, GIR is on the green, and putts are on the green, not the fringe.

Have used a Garmin S62 for about 7 rounds so far, and also it keeps track of distances, provided that I input the club for the shot used.

Did this just for data tracking as I used a few different driver/head shaft combinations and wanted to make the best choice when it came time to decide which combination would be in the bag, and to also dial in iron distances when I put another set in play earlier this season.

• Like 2

Driver & Fairway: Titleist TSi3 10 degree  - Ventus Black 5S & TS3 15 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 

Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 - Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged - Nippon Modus 120

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54, and 60

Putter: Cameron Phantom  X 5

Ball: Pro V1

Every card is score, putts, fairways & greens.  That's all I really need for my simple mind.

• Like 4
  • Titleist TSI3 LAGolf DJ 65 5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Mizuno Pro 223 4-P Nippon Modus 3 115X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ.1 LAGolf P135 
  • Srixon Z-Star XV Divide

Western, NY - Go Bills!

5.1 Index

I just threw away my most recent scorecard, but here's a look at what I generally track during a round:

cardstats.png.0068e3cf94c29fc36aa695c557fdf120.png

FYI - I normally just use 5 rows and split them with a "/" but did it a little different here for simplicity.

Score and Putts are easy to understand, and it probably isn't difficult to figure out Fairways and Greens (R=Right, L=Left, S=Short, LG=Long). The "X"s are used to keep track of shots where I couldn't go for the green (either because of a penalty or a poor tee shot - i.e. blocked out or too far away or something).

From there, I track Chips (limiting these to shots <50 yards typically) and Penalties (the S's above = "Sand").

After that, I track Tee Club, Tee Distance, Approach Club, and Approach Distance. Tee Distance=how far the shot traveled whereas Approach Distance=how far I had to the hole. In the event I hit an unusually bad tee shot (top, chunk, directly into a tree 100 yards away, etc.) I won't record it and the same goes for "approach shots" where I don't actually have any reasonable chance of hitting the green.

From there, everything goes into a spreadsheet I started years ago that allows to me look at all sorts of cumulative stats:

cardstats2.png.f3f7036affc0ee162dc9c39a40c6a858.png

Some things change a little once they hit the spreadsheet - primarily penalties. Hazards are marked with a "1" while Lost Ball and OB penalties are marked with a "2" since they are stroke-and-distance penalties. Any "X"s that were marked on the GIR row automatically get recorded as DOA via a formula.

Beyond that, I have a ton of other formulas that run to calculate all sorts of things, but I mostly pay attention to putting average and the Tiger 5 used in the Decade system.

Also, to be clear, I only count fairways and greens if they are actually in the fairway or on the green. The DOA stat allows me to figure out if I'm giving myself opportunities at the green and anything off the green (even by inches) is recorded as a chip regardless of what club I use to keep my putting stats clean and easy to understand.

• Like 2

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

I used to track Fairways in Regulation (if off where), Greens in Regulation (if off where) and putts through the GHIN app.  Overall, I found it interesting, but it really didn't give me the level of detail I needed to show me where I needed to work on.  Just as I started to look at shot tracking devices, I was fortunate enough to be selected as one of the MGS reviewers of the Shot Scope LX+ which includes the H4 GPS and shot tracking device.  I've just completed my 19th round with the H4 shot tracking and I've learned more about my game (strengths and weaknesses) than I could have manually collecting and analyzing shot data. 

Here is a link to my initial review of the shot tracking and analysis:  Gof2Much Initial H4 Shot Analysis Review

I found value in being able to do a deep dive into my game and highlight specific areas to improve.  For example, my GHIN-based information would say I'm an OK putter averaging 29 putts per round.  However, it's not until I dove deeper into the Shot Scope data that I found biggest issue was missing too many putts in the 9-12 foot range.  With that information I can be smarter with my practicing and focus on the correct distances.  I also found the strokes gained or lost versus golfers with similar handicaps also enlightening.   Stroked gained with respect to my handicap gave me a more realistic comparison of my game versus my handicap peers.  Plus, I could change the reference point to the next lower handicap level and see what specific areas I needed to focus on to get my game to that point. 

As I continue down this shot capture and analysis path, I'm confident the depth of game data and the ability to compare it to other golfers in my handicap peer group (and better) will be a key enabler for me to improve.

Edited by Golf2Much
  • Like 2
Ping G400 SFT with a Matrix MFS 5 Korean Prototype Senior shaft, 12 degrees
Callaway Epic Flash 15 degree 3 wood, with a stock Project X Evenflow 45 grams senior shaft.  
Calloway Epic GBB Epic 20 degree Heaven Wood, with a stock Diamana 40 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G hybrid 5 (26 degrees) with stock Alta 70 gram senior shafts.
Ping G30 irons 6-W, Yellow dot with graphite Fujikura EXS 60i R2-Flex shafts
Edison wedges:  50 degrees, 55 degrees and 60 degrees, 2 degrees up with KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  New Evnroll ER10 Outback

I keep track of  score, fairways hit and putts. At this point in my game GIR is a real rarity but as my game improves I will be adding that was well.

• Like 1

Ping CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

PXG 0341 3 wood 15° w/Project X Even Flow Blue

Ping G30 19° 3 Hybrid w/Ping TFC 419H

Ping G25 4 - UW w/Ping CFS

Callaway Mack Daddy CB 54°/14° w/KBS 105 Hi-Rev 2.0

Evnroll ER11v 34” Evnroll ER11v Official Review

Kirkland Signature v2.0

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Review

Clicgear 3.5+

When I am tracking stats, I use several different methods.. many of them outlined above... from simple fairways/greens and putts, to using my shotscope H4 (though I have found it distracts me during play in some cases, so I only utilize it for pure practice rounds).  The watch may be a better option as it detects the club and swing without the tag/tap.  But when I'm really digging into my stats to see where I need to apply my focus... I use a take on the Mark Broadie Every Shot Counts method.  

20220901_083209.jpg

It is a little messy, but from this card, I can log fairways, Greens, Putts, proximity to hole, which side I'm missing on / or if I'm missing short or long from specific distances and some shot distances (mostly off the tee using the stock yardages, but could add a variable yardage due to tee movements if I wanted)... although I don't indicate which club I used for approach shots.  The biggest challenge I have is remembering to pace off the chip shots and putts so I can track those distances in my analysis.  I think I need a caddie... haha.

In the beginning (a year ago or so) I was entering the data into the Golfmetrics app, and it did some pretty cool analysis, but I started just using the raw data as it does a pretty good job highlighting where improvements could be made.  

If you are are data junkie like I am... the Mark Broadie book is a great read.  

And yes... That is a triple on the par 5 4th hole en route to my 77... 3w to the middle of the fairway, perfect lay up to 115 in front of the pond protecting the green.. cold topped my wedge into the hazard, and walked away after a three putt.. 😕  

• Like 2

Official MGS Tester: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 115 shafts (<--- Click Here)

• Titleist TSi3 9* (@ 10.5*) Driver
  • Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • Titleist 2021 T200 6-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Jet Set Limited Newport 2
  • Maxfli Tour

This is an interesting thread for me. In the past I never tracked any stats. Then after getting involved in MGS and the Forum I felt 
I should. This was going to show me what areas I needed to focus my attention on to get better right? Well we all need to decrease our proximity to the pin. I don't care how good you are, we all can do better in that area. It's not something that I'm going to loose focus on by taking a tape measure out to see if my average is 8 feet or 6 feet. So my goal is to just get as close as possible. My fairways in regulation are very good about 12 out of 14 and the one's I miss are just off and usually due to a sloped fairway. My greens in regulation are pretty good and if I miss, it's by a little and the chip usually leaves me with a 1 putt. It's rare that I three putt and my sand game is good. Fast forward to this season I came to realize (for me) that tracking everything was distracting me from complete focus on the game and I was missing out on enjoying the total golf experience. I have a lot of nature on my course between the different species of animals to the views of the mountains and such. I'm taking the experience in instead of taking notes on a score card.  Well at least until my game slips or you guys change my mind again. 🤣 

• Like 7

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm taking the experience in instead of taking notes on a score card. 

I forgot to mention the other "must read"...

image.png

I can't argue with your comments and logic Tom!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • Maxfli Tour

I’ve been tracking the Tiger 5 

1. Bogeys on par 5

2. Double bogeys

3. 3 putts

4. Bogey inside 150

5. 2 chips 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST 9 💎💎💎 Ventus Black TR 6X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 Ventus Black 10TX 

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex TCB 5-AW X100 :titelist-small: T100 4 iron X100

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.12 X100 & 60.08 Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I forgot to mention the other "must read"...

image.png

I can't argue with your comments and logic Tom!

Hey! I'm the Penick guy!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 minute ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Hey! I'm the Penick guy!

Yes you are DOP!

• Like 1

• Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • Maxfli Tour

This is an interesting thread for me.

I Did Good?! |  WAIT.  I DID GOOD?  DOES THAT MEAN... I CAN HAS CHEESEBURGER?!! | image tagged in i can has cheezburger cat,memes,cat memes | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

Then after getting involved in MGS and the Forum I felt 
I should

This is pretty much where I am at lol

Fast forward to this season I came to realize (for me) that tracking everything was distracting me from complete focus on the game and I was missing out on enjoying the total golf experience.

And this is what I am worried about starting all this tracking

I really appreciate everyone's input here, I think this is a pretty interesting thread also and I really hope that we can keep this thread going and see how everyone tracks.

• Like 2

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

2 minutes ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

And this is what I am worried about starting all this tracking

It's all about developing a system that works for you and if that system is simply writing down a score and forgetting all the rest then it really doesn't matter as long as you're having fun and making progress towards the goals you set for yourself.

I'm sure my way of keeping stats might seem like a ton of work and overly complex to some (maybe many) but it works for me.

Also, I forgot to note that I have a H4 from Shot Scope as well. I primarily use it for club distances but do find some of their recent updates useful. I've even created a new tab in my spreadsheet for recording all the strokes gained numbers to identify trends (something SS doesn't appear to do or at least represent in an overly meaningful way).

• Like 2

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 54* & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

1 hour ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

4. Bogey inside 150

ooooh... that is a good one.  I am afraid to see my results on that stat.

• Like 2

• Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • Maxfli Tour

32 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

ooooh... that is a good one.  I am afraid to see my results on that stat.

I think it’s from the decade system but it’s the shits or holes when at the end of the round I am like that’s where I messed up today. 

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST 9 💎💎💎 Ventus Black TR 6X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 Ventus Black 10TX 

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex TCB 5-AW X100 :titelist-small: T100 4 iron X100

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 54.12 X100 & 60.08 Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1x