TESTERS WANTED! ×

What kind of stats do you keep for your own play?

I watched this guest video from Genevieve Ling on GolfSidekicks youtube channel and it made me think about keeping better stats for myself. I own a ShotScope V2 so that helps but what about the stats kept on the scorecard? This video made me think more about what additional stats I should keep.

What stats do you keep and what do you think are the most useful stats for amateur to keep?

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

I am also a follower of the Baus. But I do take a different approach to stat keeping than most. Though all stats can be tracked through the GHIN app.

I track "good drives'. I'm on public courses 95% of the time, the rough isn't penal, so I don't really care about hitting fairways. As long as I have an unobstructed second shot that is roughly the distance I think I should have, it's a good drive.

I track GIR, but I expand it. If I can use a putter and I'm on the fringe or front apron, it's a GIR.

I track putts, & a I put a tick mark down for any Up & Downs. 

The last two rounds I looked back at the score card to seee where I made a mistake. Mistakes are 3 putts, bogeys with wedge, or on a par 5, or any double bogey.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I pretty much do Shot Scope exclusively but wonder if the data is all that useful to me.

I look at the decade 5 as I think that gives a good indication for improvement.

prior to both my coach had me track: FW and if I have a clear shot to the green, approach distance, GIR, nGIR, putts, putt distances, 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Pretty much GIR and putts for me if its just me and not a match ahppening with other stakes.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

With Arccos, the stats are endless...  Still loving it.

I am finding the detailed approach and short game / putting stats very interesting.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

I track fairways, GIR and putts.

Fairway is fairway, GIR is on the green, and putts are on the green, not the fringe.

Have used a Garmin S62 for about 7 rounds so far, and also it keeps track of distances, provided that I input the club for the shot used.

Did this just for data tracking as I used a few different driver/head shaft combinations and wanted to make the best choice when it came time to decide which combination would be in the bag, and to also dial in iron distances when I put another set in play earlier this season.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Every card is score, putts, fairways & greens.  That's all I really need for my simple mind.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I just threw away my most recent scorecard, but here's a look at what I generally track during a round:

cardstats.png.0068e3cf94c29fc36aa695c557fdf120.png

FYI - I normally just use 5 rows and split them with a "/" but did it a little different here for simplicity.

Score and Putts are easy to understand, and it probably isn't difficult to figure out Fairways and Greens (R=Right, L=Left, S=Short, LG=Long). The "X"s are used to keep track of shots where I couldn't go for the green (either because of a penalty or a poor tee shot - i.e. blocked out or too far away or something).

From there, I track Chips (limiting these to shots <50 yards typically) and Penalties (the S's above = "Sand").

After that, I track Tee Club, Tee Distance, Approach Club, and Approach Distance. Tee Distance=how far the shot traveled whereas Approach Distance=how far I had to the hole. In the event I hit an unusually bad tee shot (top, chunk, directly into a tree 100 yards away, etc.) I won't record it and the same goes for "approach shots" where I don't actually have any reasonable chance of hitting the green.

From there, everything goes into a spreadsheet I started years ago that allows to me look at all sorts of cumulative stats:

cardstats2.png.f3f7036affc0ee162dc9c39a40c6a858.png

Some things change a little once they hit the spreadsheet - primarily penalties. Hazards are marked with a "1" while Lost Ball and OB penalties are marked with a "2" since they are stroke-and-distance penalties. Any "X"s that were marked on the GIR row automatically get recorded as DOA via a formula.

Beyond that, I have a ton of other formulas that run to calculate all sorts of things, but I mostly pay attention to putting average and the Tiger 5 used in the Decade system.

Also, to be clear, I only count fairways and greens if they are actually in the fairway or on the green. The DOA stat allows me to figure out if I'm giving myself opportunities at the green and anything off the green (even by inches) is recorded as a chip regardless of what club I use to keep my putting stats clean and easy to understand.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I used to track Fairways in Regulation (if off where), Greens in Regulation (if off where) and putts through the GHIN app.  Overall, I found it interesting, but it really didn't give me the level of detail I needed to show me where I needed to work on.  Just as I started to look at shot tracking devices, I was fortunate enough to be selected as one of the MGS reviewers of the Shot Scope LX+ which includes the H4 GPS and shot tracking device.  I've just completed my 19th round with the H4 shot tracking and I've learned more about my game (strengths and weaknesses) than I could have manually collecting and analyzing shot data. 

Here is a link to my initial review of the shot tracking and analysis:  Gof2Much Initial H4 Shot Analysis Review

I found value in being able to do a deep dive into my game and highlight specific areas to improve.  For example, my GHIN-based information would say I'm an OK putter averaging 29 putts per round.  However, it's not until I dove deeper into the Shot Scope data that I found biggest issue was missing too many putts in the 9-12 foot range.  With that information I can be smarter with my practicing and focus on the correct distances.  I also found the strokes gained or lost versus golfers with similar handicaps also enlightening.   Stroked gained with respect to my handicap gave me a more realistic comparison of my game versus my handicap peers.  Plus, I could change the reference point to the next lower handicap level and see what specific areas I needed to focus on to get my game to that point. 

As I continue down this shot capture and analysis path, I'm confident the depth of game data and the ability to compare it to other golfers in my handicap peer group (and better) will be a key enabler for me to improve.

Edited by Golf2Much
Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I keep track of  score, fairways hit and putts. At this point in my game GIR is a real rarity but as my game improves I will be adding that was well.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

When I am tracking stats, I use several different methods.. many of them outlined above... from simple fairways/greens and putts, to using my shotscope H4 (though I have found it distracts me during play in some cases, so I only utilize it for pure practice rounds).  The watch may be a better option as it detects the club and swing without the tag/tap.  But when I'm really digging into my stats to see where I need to apply my focus... I use a take on the Mark Broadie Every Shot Counts method.  

20220901_083209.jpg

It is a little messy, but from this card, I can log fairways, Greens, Putts, proximity to hole, which side I'm missing on / or if I'm missing short or long from specific distances and some shot distances (mostly off the tee using the stock yardages, but could add a variable yardage due to tee movements if I wanted)... although I don't indicate which club I used for approach shots.  The biggest challenge I have is remembering to pace off the chip shots and putts so I can track those distances in my analysis.  I think I need a caddie... haha.

In the beginning (a year ago or so) I was entering the data into the Golfmetrics app, and it did some pretty cool analysis, but I started just using the raw data as it does a pretty good job highlighting where improvements could be made.  

If you are are data junkie like I am... the Mark Broadie book is a great read.  

And yes... That is a triple on the par 5 4th hole en route to my 77... 3w to the middle of the fairway, perfect lay up to 115 in front of the pond protecting the green.. cold topped my wedge into the hazard, and walked away after a three putt.. 😕  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

This is an interesting thread for me. In the past I never tracked any stats. Then after getting involved in MGS and the Forum I felt 
I should. This was going to show me what areas I needed to focus my attention on to get better right? Well we all need to decrease our proximity to the pin. I don't care how good you are, we all can do better in that area. It's not something that I'm going to loose focus on by taking a tape measure out to see if my average is 8 feet or 6 feet. So my goal is to just get as close as possible. My fairways in regulation are very good about 12 out of 14 and the one's I miss are just off and usually due to a sloped fairway. My greens in regulation are pretty good and if I miss, it's by a little and the chip usually leaves me with a 1 putt. It's rare that I three putt and my sand game is good. Fast forward to this season I came to realize (for me) that tracking everything was distracting me from complete focus on the game and I was missing out on enjoying the total golf experience. I have a lot of nature on my course between the different species of animals to the views of the mountains and such. I'm taking the experience in instead of taking notes on a score card.  Well at least until my game slips or you guys change my mind again. 🤣 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm taking the experience in instead of taking notes on a score card. 

I forgot to mention the other "must read"...

image.png

I can't argue with your comments and logic Tom!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I’ve been tracking the Tiger 5 

1. Bogeys on par 5

2. Double bogeys

3. 3 putts

4. Bogey inside 150

5. 2 chips 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I forgot to mention the other "must read"...

image.png

I can't argue with your comments and logic Tom!

Hey! I'm the Penick guy!

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 minute ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Hey! I'm the Penick guy!

Yes you are DOP!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

This is an interesting thread for me.

I Did Good?! |  WAIT.  I DID GOOD?  DOES THAT MEAN... I CAN HAS CHEESEBURGER?!! | image tagged in i can has cheezburger cat,memes,cat memes | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

Then after getting involved in MGS and the Forum I felt 
I should

This is pretty much where I am at lol

Fast forward to this season I came to realize (for me) that tracking everything was distracting me from complete focus on the game and I was missing out on enjoying the total golf experience.

And this is what I am worried about starting all this tracking

I really appreciate everyone's input here, I think this is a pretty interesting thread also and I really hope that we can keep this thread going and see how everyone tracks.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

2 minutes ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

And this is what I am worried about starting all this tracking

It's all about developing a system that works for you and if that system is simply writing down a score and forgetting all the rest then it really doesn't matter as long as you're having fun and making progress towards the goals you set for yourself.

I'm sure my way of keeping stats might seem like a ton of work and overly complex to some (maybe many) but it works for me.

Also, I forgot to note that I have a H4 from Shot Scope as well. I primarily use it for club distances but do find some of their recent updates useful. I've even created a new tab in my spreadsheet for recording all the strokes gained numbers to identify trends (something SS doesn't appear to do or at least represent in an overly meaningful way).

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

4. Bogey inside 150

ooooh... that is a good one.  I am afraid to see my results on that stat.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

32 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

ooooh... that is a good one.  I am afraid to see my results on that stat.

I think it’s from the decade system but it’s the shits or holes when at the end of the round I am like that’s where I messed up today. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

5 minutes ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

I think it’s from the decade system but it’s the shits or holes when at the end of the round I am like that’s where I messed up today. 

Yep it is on of the Tiger 5 that are discussed in DECADE foundations 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Interested no, I play golf because I can chill most of the time. Try to focus on actually hitting the ball and then laugh and joke with my foursome, it's my downtime...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently started keeping "mental" stats for myself. Some of those metrics include: how long (in seconds) did it take me to clear my head before taking the shot, did I go through my full pre-shot routine, did I self-talk after the shot, did I analyze a shot after a mishit, and more. I just use a scorecard and make little checks down the side where other players names would go

On 9/19/2022 at 7:54 PM, inner_game_coach said:

I've recently started keeping "mental" stats for myself. Some of those metrics include: how long (in seconds) did it take me to clear my head before taking the shot, did I go through my full pre-shot routine, did I self-talk after the shot, did I analyze a shot after a mishit, and more. I just use a scorecard and make little checks down the side where other players names would go

I'm curious about a few points in your "mental stats".  May be something I should be thinking about (or not thinking about) more...

What are you thinking about just prior to clearing your head before the shot?  And what are you thinking about during the "clear head" period?  Self Talk... is that "narrating" the shot at hand inside your head, for example... talking through the execution of the shot?  or are you referring to positive/negative comments directed at yourself (either out loud, or in thought)?  

I personally have an ongoing and robust conversation with myself during my round, but I would say it is mostly related to execution of the shot at hand, or strategizing how to play each shot from the position I'm in... when I hit a poor shot... a couple of thoughts about the cause, and possibly reinforcing a swing thought to use on the next shot of similar club/distance.  Rarely to I get emotionally responsive during the round, if ever... disappointed more times than not that I'm not executing the shot that I envisioned, but really thinking forward and never thinking backward (what is done, is done... next shot is the most important and the only one you can have any control over).  

Would like more on how you approach the mental game and see if it is something that I would like to incorporate. 

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

On 9/22/2022 at 12:56 PM, Golfspy_TCB said:

I'm curious about a few points in your "mental stats".  May be something I should be thinking about (or not thinking about) more...

What are you thinking about just prior to clearing your head before the shot?  And what are you thinking about during the "clear head" period?  Self Talk... is that "narrating" the shot at hand inside your head, for example... talking through the execution of the shot?  or are you referring to positive/negative comments directed at yourself (either out loud, or in thought)?  

I personally have an ongoing and robust conversation with myself during my round, but I would say it is mostly related to execution of the shot at hand, or strategizing how to play each shot from the position I'm in... when I hit a poor shot... a couple of thoughts about the cause, and possibly reinforcing a swing thought to use on the next shot of similar club/distance.  Rarely to I get emotionally responsive during the round, if ever... disappointed more times than not that I'm not executing the shot that I envisioned, but really thinking forward and never thinking backward (what is done, is done... next shot is the most important and the only one you can have any control over).  

Would like more on how you approach the mental game and see if it is something that I would like to incorporate. 

I think you're right on the money in your first point. The idea is to use the time between shots to not over-analyze, or think too much, but rather to relax and prepare for the concentration needed for the next shot.

What am I thinking about before I clear my head - great question. For me it's to go through my pre-shot routine, engage in the process that I've built for me and then just before stepping up to hit, I tell myself to swing to my picture. I think going through my routine also helps me work through any intrusive thoughts. Then I let go and do my best to not have any thoughts while I'm over the ball. With the small exception of a process I use to be mindful of where my clubhead is through my swing. Not so much thoughts but more like checkpoints - for example, when I hit the top of my swing I say "one" to myself, then after impact I say "two" and after the swing but before looking up I say "three". 

I'm certainly far from perfect but it helps. And that's why I keep score of my mental, so I can know which shots/holes I did a better job with. I understand that disappointment when I don't shoot to my picture but I am working on letting go of that feeling pretty immediately. I have trust that any changes or reinforcements I need to make happen on the range and the course is for playing.

Hope that makes some sense.

10 minutes ago, inner_game_coach said:

I think you're right on the money in your first point. The idea is to use the time between shots to not over-analyze, or think too much, but rather to relax and prepare for the concentration needed for the next shot.

What am I thinking about before I clear my head - great question. For me it's to go through my pre-shot routine, engage in the process that I've built for me and then just before stepping up to hit, I tell myself to swing to my picture. I think going through my routine also helps me work through any intrusive thoughts. Then I let go and do my best to not have any thoughts while I'm over the ball. With the small exception of a process I use to be mindful of where my clubhead is through my swing. Not so much thoughts but more like checkpoints - for example, when I hit the top of my swing I say "one" to myself, then after impact I say "two" and after the swing but before looking up I say "three". 

I'm certainly far from perfect but it helps. And that's why I keep score of my mental, so I can know which shots/holes I did a better job with. I understand that disappointment when I don't shoot to my picture but I am working on letting go of that feeling pretty immediately. I have trust that any changes or reinforcements I need to make happen on the range and the course is for playing.

Hope that makes some sense.

Yes, makes perfect sense... very interesting to me... thanks for the response.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

On 9/20/2022 at 12:54 PM, inner_game_coach said:

Interesting routine I could try, since a month in a Coma 3 years ago I honestly couldn't say what I was thinking about in that moment? But now I'm starting to think about focusing on hitting the ball rather than my mind being blank, back in the day when I made A grade I was ecstatic because I couldn't see good enough to read a green. My coach at the time said I would be better than a 5 handicap if I could SEE, ball striking was good enough for that level of play now I'm happy just to hit one good shot in nine holes lol...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 8/30/2022 at 1:34 PM, KC Golf said:

With Arccos, the stats are endless...  Still loving it.

I am finding the detailed approach and short game / putting stats very interesting.

Same, +1 for Arccos. I can see data as simple or as complex as I want.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5
5w: TaylorMade SIM Max - 18
3H: Ping G425 - at 20.5
Irons: Ping G425 (5i-GW)
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (52, 56, 60)
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined S
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Tracking: Arccos

I think an easy rule of thumb for keeping golf stats is that number and scope of stats you keep should be inversely proportional to their index.  The higher the index, the fewer of stats you need to spend your physical and mental time with.  When one's shot "noise" is greater than the "signal", I don't see the value having too many things to track and worry about.  I'd start with the GHIN handicap supported and tracked stats:  putts, fairways hit (or not) and greens (hit or not).  Then as one's game progresses, you add additional data points to get a better definition of your game. 

Before that I think you can easily get caught in analysis paralysis.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

On 9/1/2022 at 12:15 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This is an interesting thread for me. In the past I never tracked any stats. Then after getting involved in MGS and the Forum I felt 
I should. This was going to show me what areas I needed to focus my attention on to get better right? Well we all need to decrease our proximity to the pin. I don't care how good you are, we all can do better in that area. It's not something that I'm going to loose focus on by taking a tape measure out to see if my average is 8 feet or 6 feet. So my goal is to just get as close as possible. My fairways in regulation are very good about 12 out of 14 and the one's I miss are just off and usually due to a sloped fairway. My greens in regulation are pretty good and if I miss, it's by a little and the chip usually leaves me with a 1 putt. It's rare that I three putt and my sand game is good. Fast forward to this season I came to realize (for me) that tracking everything was distracting me from complete focus on the game and I was missing out on enjoying the total golf experience. I have a lot of nature on my course between the different species of animals to the views of the mountains and such. I'm taking the experience in instead of taking notes on a score card.  Well at least until my game slips or you guys change my mind again. 🤣 

I will darn sure testify to the fact on your FIRs and GIRs

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G