TESTERS WANTED! ×

What kind of stats do you keep for your own play?

On 9/1/2022 at 12:15 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This is an interesting thread for me. In the past I never tracked any stats. Then after getting involved in MGS and the Forum I felt 
I should. This was going to show me what areas I needed to focus my attention on to get better right? Well we all need to decrease our proximity to the pin. I don't care how good you are, we all can do better in that area. It's not something that I'm going to loose focus on by taking a tape measure out to see if my average is 8 feet or 6 feet. So my goal is to just get as close as possible. My fairways in regulation are very good about 12 out of 14 and the one's I miss are just off and usually due to a sloped fairway. My greens in regulation are pretty good and if I miss, it's by a little and the chip usually leaves me with a 1 putt. It's rare that I three putt and my sand game is good. Fast forward to this season I came to realize (for me) that tracking everything was distracting me from complete focus on the game and I was missing out on enjoying the total golf experience. I have a lot of nature on my course between the different species of animals to the views of the mountains and such. I'm taking the experience in instead of taking notes on a score card.  Well at least until my game slips or you guys change my mind again. 🤣 

I will darn sure testify to the fact on your FIRs and GIRs

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Oh crap double post do not know how that happened. I guess senior moment

I guess I approach things differently than others. Which everyone approaces the game differently and there is nothing wrong with that

Back in the day before it was popular my Old Man was a stat nut. He was not only a Club Pro but a gambler and bookie as well. He had a great mathmetical mind. Could tell you the odds on any Vegas board game and odds on any card hand. He was also one of the early card counters in Vegas. He never wrote anything down or used pencil and paper to decipher kept it all in his head. He was all about GIRs and FIRs but he was not a good putter or wedge man. He hated my game or the way I played it. I was long but knocked it all over the place but could get up and down out of a trash can so to speak. Yeah if you looked at my game then My FIRs and GIRs frankly sucked but I had a above average precentage on up and downs and my putts per round were low. Talking about minds working differently I have what I call a good mind math wise but it is different. Never was into the card thing per say but was good in Math and Trig. I really used the trig a lot in my racing days building roll cages etc and I still have in my head now some 20 years after I built my last race car or racing engine some specs like end run out on a crankshaft or valve lash specs etc. Now I do use trig some in calculating distances on the course and the angles I want to go at.

Even now I do not take things as seriously as to keep up on stats per say. I may review a round and like reflect that they may have been like 3 or 4 putts I should have made. My FIRs have certainally improved from my youthful days because most of the time I do not hit it far enough to get into trouble and I basically plod and plot my way around the course like that. Basically my whole attitude was find it hit it and hit it again still play that way now. But basically I do not take golf seriously any more not to say I do not try. Like last Saturday we shot -6 in the Shootout with a pick up team which I thought was good. One of my partners remarked we should have been -8. I told him no way because we did miss two 'makable" putts but I did make one very low precentage putt and one of the guys basically skulled a chip and it went in. In the back of my mind for some reason and I do not know why I have the putting make precentages in my head and both of those instances were common sense

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 9/1/2022 at 9:15 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This is an interesting thread for me. In the past I never tracked any stats. Then after getting involved in MGS and the Forum I felt 
I should. This was going to show me what areas I needed to focus my attention on to get better right? Well we all need to decrease our proximity to the pin. I don't care how good you are, we all can do better in that area. It's not something that I'm going to loose focus on by taking a tape measure out to see if my average is 8 feet or 6 feet. So my goal is to just get as close as possible. My fairways in regulation are very good about 12 out of 14 and the one's I miss are just off and usually due to a sloped fairway. My greens in regulation are pretty good and if I miss, it's by a little and the chip usually leaves me with a 1 putt. It's rare that I three putt and my sand game is good. Fast forward to this season I came to realize (for me) that tracking everything was distracting me from complete focus on the game and I was missing out on enjoying the total golf experience. I have a lot of nature on my course between the different species of animals to the views of the mountains and such. I'm taking the experience in instead of taking notes on a score card.  Well at least until my game slips or you guys change my mind again. 🤣 

This comment seems familiar for some reason.  I never tracked anything until I came to MGS, then I used the stats in The Grint because that's where I recorded my scores.  I kept them on my scorecard.  However, I found that too distracting, and I could remember what happened on every hole until I went to sleep at night; then forgot everything!!  After tracking these stats for awhile, it became obvious to me that I knew what my weaknesses were without tracking.  So I spent a lot of time practicing, and they have improved somewhat.  Now, I tend to just enjoy the surroundings, and still practice.  Once in awhile I'll post some extra special stat of  my round, something that is much better that normal for me... usually GIR since that is my worst stat.

I am curious about @inner_game_coach tracking of mental stats, but haven't decided if I can do that without too much distraction... testing to start.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

This comment seems familiar for some reason.  I never tracked anything until I came to MGS, then I used the stats in The Grint because that's where I recorded my scores.  I kept them on my scorecard.  However, I found that too distracting, and I could remember what happened on every hole until I went to sleep at night; then forgot everything!!  After tracking these stats for awhile, it became obvious to me that I knew what my weaknesses were without tracking.  So I spent a lot of time practicing, and they have improved somewhat.  Now, I tend to just enjoy the surroundings, and still practice.  Once in awhile I'll post some extra special stat of  my round, something that is much better that normal for me... usually GIR since that is my worst stat.

I am curious about @inner_game_coach tracking of mental stats, but haven't decided if I can do that without too much distraction... testing to start.

I remember reading his mental stat tracking and then just went back and re-read it. Thank goodness my mind is blank to start with 🤣.  I have a pre shot routine for alignment and a full swing practice swing then step in and repeat the swing. It's pretty much a blank canvas in my mind. No thoughts, I just go with the internal muscle memory from the practice swing. If I stopped myself to think, count, or whatever I would probably screw up!  I will say that the only time I think on a shot is when I'm trying to do something out of the norm. For instance, trying to go over some trees. Then I talk to myself "Drop the right shoulder more and swing up".  Practice the swing, then step in and repeat.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I track scores obviously, but I also track FW%, GIR, # of putts using a Garmin S20 - and have summaries of same for each hole at every course I play thanks to Garmin. I also track eagles-birdies-pars-bogeys-double or worse. AutoShot on my Garmin S20 also summarizes distance and dispersion for all my shots, though Driver is the only one I review occasionally. 

Helps me know what to work on, and how best to play certain holes - e.g. I've learned to layup on two par 4's on my regular course where the weeds are as much as waist high. Between my Garmin S20 and a DIY spreadsheet that I built/maintain - it's almost no work to have lots of info.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

43 minutes ago, Middler said:

I track scores obviously, but I also track FW%, GIR, # of putts using a Garmin S20 - and have summaries of same for each hole at every course I play thanks to Garmin. I also track eagles-birdies-pars-bogeys-double or worse. AutoShot on my Garmin S20 also summarizes distance and dispersion for all my shots, though Driver is the only one I review occasionally. 

Helps me know what to work on, and how best to play certain holes - e.g. I've learned to layup on two par 4's on my regular course. Between my Garmin S20 and a DIY spreadsheet that I built/maintain - it's almost no work to have lots of info.

Like I say everyone does it differently and there is nothing wrong with that--- The way my brain works it would be TMI----- I just shoot off the hip straight off the trailer which is SOP for me. Please do not get mad at me but I hate spreadsheets. A lady worked for us at the wrecker company and she was the queen of spreadsheets. I kept stuff in my notebook so I knew what was going on. I guess in my own way I did spread sheets my way come to think of it. 

Edited by BIG STU

G

On 9/1/2022 at 9:15 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

... Good stuff Tom. I am an artistic kinda guy so that applies to my golf game as well. I certainly understand those with higher even a mid index trying to decide what area of their game needs the most work or which areas need improvement compared to others. One of my least favorites stats though is putts per round. If I am just missing greens, especially on the fringe my putts will be low. Sitting just off the green with a decent lie I am getting up and down most of the time so lots of 1 putts. But hitting more greens usually means more 2 putts.

... I know when I am not driving well. I know when my swing is a little off. I know when my putting touch is a little off. I usually don't make mental mistakes but of course every now and then I go at a pin when I should have been aiming 10 feet left or right. So the bottom line is I know when I play poorly and since my goal is always to improve my driving, iron play, short game and putting I don't think a stat is going to help or change any of that. And like you, I am always interested in the view and communing with the wildlife more than keeping any stats that usually tell me what I already know. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

48 minutes ago, chisag said:

One of my least favorites stats though is putts per round.

Agree with this, and the description on why it is a misleading stat you added.  When I'm tracking my putting, I break it into distances.  Putts from 6 feet- in; putts 6-12, putts 12-18. putts over 18.  That helps me when I spend dedicated time on the putting green.  I jot down the putt distances on the card, then do the breakouts post round so I'm not trying to do all the filter work during the round.  Total putts per round really doesn't give the full picture. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Like I say everyone does it differently and there is nothing wrong with that--- The way my brain works it would be TMI----- I just shoot off the hip straight off the trailer which is SOP for me. Please do not get mad at me but I hate spreadsheets. A lady worked for us at the wrecker company and she was the queen of spreadsheets. I kept stuff in my notebook so I knew what was going on. I guess in my own way I did spread sheets my way come to think of it. 

Not mad at all. I wish I could play as well without the effort, but I used spreadsheets at work every single day for 35+ years - so it takes almost no effort, mine are highly automated. Whatever works for others is perfect.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 hour ago, chisag said:

One of my least favorites stats though is putts per round. If I am just missing greens, especially on the fringe my putts will be low. Sitting just off the green with a decent lie I am getting up and down most of the time so lots of 1 putts. But hitting more greens usually means more 2 putts.

21 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Agree with this, and the description on why it is a misleading stat you added.  When I'm tracking my putting, I break it into distances.  Putts from 6 feet- in; putts 6-12, putts 12-18. putts over 18.  That helps me when I spend dedicated time on the putting green.  I jot down the putt distances on the card, then do the breakouts post round so I'm not trying to do all the filter work during the round.  Total putts per round really doesn't give the full picture. 

+1. And why I take putts per round with a grain of salt. The more greens I miss the better I putt - obvious self deception 🤔. Unless I take the time to compare # of putts correlated with GIR (almost never), putts IS misleading. I should track putts by length, but I'm not disciplined enough to do it...

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Good stuff Tom. I am an artistic kinda guy so that applies to my golf game as well. I certainly understand those with higher even a mid index trying to decide what area of their game needs the most work or which areas need improvement compared to others. One of my least favorites stats though is putts per round. If I am just missing greens, especially on the fringe my putts will be low. Sitting just off the green with a decent lie I am getting up and down most of the time so lots of 1 putts. But hitting more greens usually means more 2 putts.

... I know when I am not driving well. I know when my swing is a little off. I know when my putting touch is a little off. I usually don't make mental mistakes but of course every now and then I go at a pin when I should have been aiming 10 feet left or right. So the bottom line is I know when I play poorly and since my goal is always to improve my driving, iron play, short game and putting I don't think a stat is going to help or change any of that. And like you, I am always interested in the view and communing with the wildlife more than keeping any stats that usually tell me what I already know. 

Yep as usual you and I think along the same lines. In my early morning rounds I have several wildlife and domesticated animal friends along with their human friends. I have gotten to carrying dog treats for the dog friends and Cereal for the turtles and fox squirrells. Plus the fox squirrells like either my bananna peels or apple cores. I will warn some folks though playing in Scrambles on a regular basis you do stuff you do not normally do if playing your own ball. Me I do not really keep score anymore but sometimes I think now if I was playing my own ball I would not do this. 

G

23 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Interesting routine I could try, since a month in a Coma 3 years ago I honestly couldn't say what I was thinking about in that moment? But now I'm starting to think about focusing on hitting the ball rather than my mind being blank, back in the day when I made A grade I was ecstatic because I couldn't see good enough to read a green. My coach at the time said I would be better than a 5 handicap if I could SEE, ball striking was good enough for that level of play now I'm happy just to hit one good shot in nine holes lol...

Oh WOW! Glad you're out and playing again. 

What do you feel like is holding you back from hitting more than one good shot in nine holes now? 

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

It's funny (in an ironic way) that keeping mental stats feels like a distraction haha. In what way are you going to test it for yourself?

Additionally, just curious, where do you feel is your biggest mental game opportunity? Thinking too much over the ball, focusing too much on swing mechanics, holding on to bad shots for multiple holes, something else?

3 hours ago, inner_game_coach said:

It's funny (in an ironic way) that keeping mental stats feels like a distraction haha. In what way are you going to test it for yourself?

Additionally, just curious, where do you feel is your biggest mental game opportunity? Thinking too much over the ball, focusing too much on swing mechanics, holding on to bad shots for multiple holes, something else?

I would need to make a note of what happened with the shot that was bad or didn't go as planned.  Although I can remember the FIR, GIR, putts, saves... I don't think I would remember the particulars of the shot.  I don't know if that would be too distracting; hard to do while walking, may be possible if riding but not driving a cart.  Maybe just a note to help me remember after the round would be enough.

I don't think much over the ball.  After picking a target I get in my setup, make a practice swing, then pull the trigger.  Although I am constantly working on my swing with a coach, I don't think about that when I play... only on the range.  I do hold on to the bad shots, but not as long as I used to; work in progress, but as swing has improved, so has my attitude.  A mishit here and there can be dealt with; many mishits gets to be frustrating 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 9/27/2022 at 7:17 PM, Kenny B said:

I would need to make a note of what happened with the shot that was bad or didn't go as planned.  Although I can remember the FIR, GIR, putts, saves... I don't think I would remember the particulars of the shot.  I don't know if that would be too distracting; hard to do while walking, may be possible if riding but not driving a cart.  Maybe just a note to help me remember after the round would be enough.

I don't think much over the ball.  After picking a target I get in my setup, make a practice swing, then pull the trigger.  Although I am constantly working on my swing with a coach, I don't think about that when I play... only on the range.  I do hold on to the bad shots, but not as long as I used to; work in progress, but as swing has improved, so has my attitude.  A mishit here and there can be dealt with; many mishits gets to be frustrating 

Mishits are the worst cause they get you thinking you messed up your swing somewhere and then lose trust in it.

Curious, what are you looking to accomplish with the stats you take down?

3 hours ago, inner_game_coach said:

Mishits are the worst cause they get you thinking you messed up your swing somewhere and then lose trust in it.

Curious, what are you looking to accomplish with the stats you take down?

HAHA.  If I were a decent ball striker, I probably would be thinking about what I messed up.  I am so inconsistent that I know mishits are going to happen.  I can't lose trust I didn't have in the first place. 🤣

I'm not sure what I would accomplish keeping mental stats, except to see how often something affects the next shots and come up with ways to put things behind me sooner.  I'm a lot better than I used to be, but I think there are a few shots I could gain by being more focused after something goes wrong.

My stat tracking is transitioning. Breaking through the "90 wall" has been the goal for some time, but an elusive one. When I've been able to break 90, it's been interesting to experience that it didn't take miracle shots or a dazzling approach game- just gotta keep the ball in play/don't waste strokes. So, for much of this season, I've been tracking "un-useable tee shots" (including penalties) and 3-putts, since those were the biggest pareto items leading to wasted strokes.

Lately, due to improvements off the tee and on the green, the "85 wall" is the new target. Still tracking tee shots and 3-putts, but I've started also keeping tabs on GIR and short game proximity/up-down (and proximity) as the next pareto items.

I tally everything after my round and throw it into the GHIN app when I post my score. As long as I do it right after the round I will still remember every hole/shot. Fairway (miss left/right), Green (miss left/right/long/short), Putts. It generally confirms what I instinctively know about my game, so nothing really earth-shattering, but is nice to go back and make sure that you aren't way off in your self-evaluation.

I dabbled for a while with tallying more during the round but I noticed I was spending more time writing/calculating/analyzing than actually enjoying the game and my time with buddies. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

I use Shotscope and am in parallel trialing V1 Game app.  I've been a data collector for a long time and use it now to verify the results from Shotscope and now V1 Game. I also record ongoing score in out GolfCanada app which is how I submit scores post round.

For each hole, I record (top to bottom):

• Gross Score
  • +/- relative to par  and cumulative +/- relative to par
  • Estimated putt lengths in feet first, second, third, 
  • Penalty stroke indicator
  • FIR/GIR indicator
  • Club used to tee off with dot for fairway, right, left, short etc

Takes no time at all after years of practice and has been helpful to course correct Shot Scope (and previously Arccos) as needed.  It does feel like V1 Game is now making this quite redundant though so I may stop writing down data next season.  The benefit has been general on course awareness, but the cost has been less positive awareness as well - like when I'm cumulative scoring well and I get ahead of myself and poop the bed or get behind in scoring and go hero mode in response.  That has been the biggest reason I have questioned the actual writing down activity this year since my skill level has increased and that creates some false hope or expectations that may be better served by not really knowing how I stand.  Or maybe I just take out the +/- relative to par (since it seems distracting now, and FIR/GIR since thats captured (mostly) in Shotscope and V1 and real time in GolfCanada app.  Recording penalties is still useful since I have not been very successful recording penalties in Shotscope (not sure why) or in V1 (a bit too cumbersome during play - need to explore more).  Shotscope manual putting mode has helped diminish the need to putt length recording, but its not super accurate given GPS variance and timing etc. Stepping off first putt and loading it into V1 Game is pretty reliable and repeatable though.  Teeing club used is perfectly captured with shotscope, but it can get fairway and rough confused at times.

Now that I read this back, sheesh, I do a lot of non-golf work while playing golf 🙂

Titleist T300 (2022) 5-PW, W48, W53 plus Taylormade Full Face 56 SW 

Current  driver Titleist TSi3

Hybrids Titleist 818 19 H2 23 H2

Gamer Putter Nike Method Matters B1-07

Ball Titleist Tour Speed / Taylormade Tour Response

Bag is Titleist Linksmaster 

Pushcart is Kaddey

Rangefinder is Voice Caddie SL2

Shotscope club tags