What kind of stats do you keep for your own play?

5 minutes ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

I think it’s from the decade system but it’s the shits or holes when at the end of the round I am like that’s where I messed up today. 

Yep it is on of the Tiger 5 that are discussed in DECADE foundations 

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Interested no, I play golf because I can chill most of the time. Try to focus on actually hitting the ball and then laugh and joke with my foursome, it's my downtime...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently started keeping "mental" stats for myself. Some of those metrics include: how long (in seconds) did it take me to clear my head before taking the shot, did I go through my full pre-shot routine, did I self-talk after the shot, did I analyze a shot after a mishit, and more. I just use a scorecard and make little checks down the side where other players names would go

• Like 3

On 9/19/2022 at 7:54 PM, inner_game_coach said:

I've recently started keeping "mental" stats for myself. Some of those metrics include: how long (in seconds) did it take me to clear my head before taking the shot, did I go through my full pre-shot routine, did I self-talk after the shot, did I analyze a shot after a mishit, and more. I just use a scorecard and make little checks down the side where other players names would go

I'm curious about a few points in your "mental stats".  May be something I should be thinking about (or not thinking about) more...

What are you thinking about just prior to clearing your head before the shot?  And what are you thinking about during the "clear head" period?  Self Talk... is that "narrating" the shot at hand inside your head, for example... talking through the execution of the shot?  or are you referring to positive/negative comments directed at yourself (either out loud, or in thought)?  

I personally have an ongoing and robust conversation with myself during my round, but I would say it is mostly related to execution of the shot at hand, or strategizing how to play each shot from the position I'm in... when I hit a poor shot... a couple of thoughts about the cause, and possibly reinforcing a swing thought to use on the next shot of similar club/distance.  Rarely to I get emotionally responsive during the round, if ever... disappointed more times than not that I'm not executing the shot that I envisioned, but really thinking forward and never thinking backward (what is done, is done... next shot is the most important and the only one you can have any control over).  

Would like more on how you approach the mental game and see if it is something that I would like to incorporate. 

• Like 2
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Otto Phlex PLB 45 "L"
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • TaylorMade Stealth 5-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
  • Maxfli Tour / Titleist AVX

On 9/22/2022 at 12:56 PM, Golfspy_TCB said:

I'm curious about a few points in your "mental stats".  May be something I should be thinking about (or not thinking about) more...

What are you thinking about just prior to clearing your head before the shot?  And what are you thinking about during the "clear head" period?  Self Talk... is that "narrating" the shot at hand inside your head, for example... talking through the execution of the shot?  or are you referring to positive/negative comments directed at yourself (either out loud, or in thought)?  

I personally have an ongoing and robust conversation with myself during my round, but I would say it is mostly related to execution of the shot at hand, or strategizing how to play each shot from the position I'm in... when I hit a poor shot... a couple of thoughts about the cause, and possibly reinforcing a swing thought to use on the next shot of similar club/distance.  Rarely to I get emotionally responsive during the round, if ever... disappointed more times than not that I'm not executing the shot that I envisioned, but really thinking forward and never thinking backward (what is done, is done... next shot is the most important and the only one you can have any control over).  

Would like more on how you approach the mental game and see if it is something that I would like to incorporate. 

I think you're right on the money in your first point. The idea is to use the time between shots to not over-analyze, or think too much, but rather to relax and prepare for the concentration needed for the next shot.

What am I thinking about before I clear my head - great question. For me it's to go through my pre-shot routine, engage in the process that I've built for me and then just before stepping up to hit, I tell myself to swing to my picture. I think going through my routine also helps me work through any intrusive thoughts. Then I let go and do my best to not have any thoughts while I'm over the ball. With the small exception of a process I use to be mindful of where my clubhead is through my swing. Not so much thoughts but more like checkpoints - for example, when I hit the top of my swing I say "one" to myself, then after impact I say "two" and after the swing but before looking up I say "three". 

I'm certainly far from perfect but it helps. And that's why I keep score of my mental, so I can know which shots/holes I did a better job with. I understand that disappointment when I don't shoot to my picture but I am working on letting go of that feeling pretty immediately. I have trust that any changes or reinforcements I need to make happen on the range and the course is for playing.

Hope that makes some sense.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, inner_game_coach said:

I think you're right on the money in your first point. The idea is to use the time between shots to not over-analyze, or think too much, but rather to relax and prepare for the concentration needed for the next shot.

What am I thinking about before I clear my head - great question. For me it's to go through my pre-shot routine, engage in the process that I've built for me and then just before stepping up to hit, I tell myself to swing to my picture. I think going through my routine also helps me work through any intrusive thoughts. Then I let go and do my best to not have any thoughts while I'm over the ball. With the small exception of a process I use to be mindful of where my clubhead is through my swing. Not so much thoughts but more like checkpoints - for example, when I hit the top of my swing I say "one" to myself, then after impact I say "two" and after the swing but before looking up I say "three". 

I'm certainly far from perfect but it helps. And that's why I keep score of my mental, so I can know which shots/holes I did a better job with. I understand that disappointment when I don't shoot to my picture but I am working on letting go of that feeling pretty immediately. I have trust that any changes or reinforcements I need to make happen on the range and the course is for playing.

Hope that makes some sense.

Yes, makes perfect sense... very interesting to me... thanks for the response.  

• Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid

On 9/20/2022 at 12:54 PM, inner_game_coach said:

Interesting routine I could try, since a month in a Coma 3 years ago I honestly couldn't say what I was thinking about in that moment? But now I'm starting to think about focusing on hitting the ball rather than my mind being blank, back in the day when I made A grade I was ecstatic because I couldn't see good enough to read a green. My coach at the time said I would be better than a 5 handicap if I could SEE, ball striking was good enough for that level of play now I'm happy just to hit one good shot in nine holes lol...

• Like 2

On 8/30/2022 at 1:34 PM, KC Golf said:

With Arccos, the stats are endless...  Still loving it.

I am finding the detailed approach and short game / putting stats very interesting.

Same, +1 for Arccos. I can see data as simple or as complex as I want.

• Like 2

Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5
5w: TaylorMade SIM Max - 18
3H: Ping G425 - at 20.5
Irons: Ping G425 (5i-GW)
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (52, 56, 60)
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined S
Ball: Titleist Pro V1
Tracking: Arccos

I think an easy rule of thumb for keeping golf stats is that number and scope of stats you keep should be inversely proportional to their index.  The higher the index, the fewer of stats you need to spend your physical and mental time with.  When one's shot "noise" is greater than the "signal", I don't see the value having too many things to track and worry about.  I'd start with the GHIN handicap supported and tracked stats:  putts, fairways hit (or not) and greens (hit or not).  Then as one's game progresses, you add additional data points to get a better definition of your game. 

Before that I think you can easily get caught in analysis paralysis.  

• Like 3
Ping G400 SFT with a Matrix MFS 5 Korean Prototype Senior shaft, 12 degrees
Callaway Epic Flash 15 degree 3 wood, with a stock Project X Evenflow 45 grams senior shaft.  
Mizuno GT180 with a Tensei CK Blue 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G hybrid 5 (26 degrees) with stock Alta 70 gram senior shafts.
Ping G30 irons 6-W, Yellow dot with graphite Fujikura EXS 60i R2-Flex shafts
Edison wedges:  50 degrees, 55 degrees and 60 degrees, 2 degrees up with KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  Evnroll ER10 Outback

On 9/1/2022 at 12:15 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This is an interesting thread for me. In the past I never tracked any stats. Then after getting involved in MGS and the Forum I felt 
I should. This was going to show me what areas I needed to focus my attention on to get better right? Well we all need to decrease our proximity to the pin. I don't care how good you are, we all can do better in that area. It's not something that I'm going to loose focus on by taking a tape measure out to see if my average is 8 feet or 6 feet. So my goal is to just get as close as possible. My fairways in regulation are very good about 12 out of 14 and the one's I miss are just off and usually due to a sloped fairway. My greens in regulation are pretty good and if I miss, it's by a little and the chip usually leaves me with a 1 putt. It's rare that I three putt and my sand game is good. Fast forward to this season I came to realize (for me) that tracking everything was distracting me from complete focus on the game and I was missing out on enjoying the total golf experience. I have a lot of nature on my course between the different species of animals to the views of the mountains and such. I'm taking the experience in instead of taking notes on a score card.  Well at least until my game slips or you guys change my mind again. 🤣 

I will darn sure testify to the fact on your FIRs and GIRs

• Like 1

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

On 9/1/2022 at 12:15 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This is an interesting thread for me. In the past I never tracked any stats. Then after getting involved in MGS and the Forum I felt 
I should. This was going to show me what areas I needed to focus my attention on to get better right? Well we all need to decrease our proximity to the pin. I don't care how good you are, we all can do better in that area. It's not something that I'm going to loose focus on by taking a tape measure out to see if my average is 8 feet or 6 feet. So my goal is to just get as close as possible. My fairways in regulation are very good about 12 out of 14 and the one's I miss are just off and usually due to a sloped fairway. My greens in regulation are pretty good and if I miss, it's by a little and the chip usually leaves me with a 1 putt. It's rare that I three putt and my sand game is good. Fast forward to this season I came to realize (for me) that tracking everything was distracting me from complete focus on the game and I was missing out on enjoying the total golf experience. I have a lot of nature on my course between the different species of animals to the views of the mountains and such. I'm taking the experience in instead of taking notes on a score card.  Well at least until my game slips or you guys change my mind again. 🤣 

I will darn sure testify to the fact on your FIRs and GIRs

• Like 3

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

Oh crap double post do not know how that happened. I guess senior moment

I guess I approach things differently than others. Which everyone approaces the game differently and there is nothing wrong with that

Back in the day before it was popular my Old Man was a stat nut. He was not only a Club Pro but a gambler and bookie as well. He had a great mathmetical mind. Could tell you the odds on any Vegas board game and odds on any card hand. He was also one of the early card counters in Vegas. He never wrote anything down or used pencil and paper to decipher kept it all in his head. He was all about GIRs and FIRs but he was not a good putter or wedge man. He hated my game or the way I played it. I was long but knocked it all over the place but could get up and down out of a trash can so to speak. Yeah if you looked at my game then My FIRs and GIRs frankly sucked but I had a above average precentage on up and downs and my putts per round were low. Talking about minds working differently I have what I call a good mind math wise but it is different. Never was into the card thing per say but was good in Math and Trig. I really used the trig a lot in my racing days building roll cages etc and I still have in my head now some 20 years after I built my last race car or racing engine some specs like end run out on a crankshaft or valve lash specs etc. Now I do use trig some in calculating distances on the course and the angles I want to go at.

Even now I do not take things as seriously as to keep up on stats per say. I may review a round and like reflect that they may have been like 3 or 4 putts I should have made. My FIRs have certainally improved from my youthful days because most of the time I do not hit it far enough to get into trouble and I basically plod and plot my way around the course like that. Basically my whole attitude was find it hit it and hit it again still play that way now. But basically I do not take golf seriously any more not to say I do not try. Like last Saturday we shot -6 in the Shootout with a pick up team which I thought was good. One of my partners remarked we should have been -8. I told him no way because we did miss two 'makable" putts but I did make one very low precentage putt and one of the guys basically skulled a chip and it went in. In the back of my mind for some reason and I do not know why I have the putting make precentages in my head and both of those instances were common sense

• Like 4

On 9/1/2022 at 9:15 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

This comment seems familiar for some reason.  I never tracked anything until I came to MGS, then I used the stats in The Grint because that's where I recorded my scores.  I kept them on my scorecard.  However, I found that too distracting, and I could remember what happened on every hole until I went to sleep at night; then forgot everything!!  After tracking these stats for awhile, it became obvious to me that I knew what my weaknesses were without tracking.  So I spent a lot of time practicing, and they have improved somewhat.  Now, I tend to just enjoy the surroundings, and still practice.  Once in awhile I'll post some extra special stat of  my round, something that is much better that normal for me... usually GIR since that is my worst stat.

I am curious about @inner_game_coach tracking of mental stats, but haven't decided if I can do that without too much distraction... testing to start.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

This comment seems familiar for some reason.  I never tracked anything until I came to MGS, then I used the stats in The Grint because that's where I recorded my scores.  I kept them on my scorecard.  However, I found that too distracting, and I could remember what happened on every hole until I went to sleep at night; then forgot everything!!  After tracking these stats for awhile, it became obvious to me that I knew what my weaknesses were without tracking.  So I spent a lot of time practicing, and they have improved somewhat.  Now, I tend to just enjoy the surroundings, and still practice.  Once in awhile I'll post some extra special stat of  my round, something that is much better that normal for me... usually GIR since that is my worst stat.

I am curious about @inner_game_coach tracking of mental stats, but haven't decided if I can do that without too much distraction... testing to start.

I remember reading his mental stat tracking and then just went back and re-read it. Thank goodness my mind is blank to start with 🤣.  I have a pre shot routine for alignment and a full swing practice swing then step in and repeat the swing. It's pretty much a blank canvas in my mind. No thoughts, I just go with the internal muscle memory from the practice swing. If I stopped myself to think, count, or whatever I would probably screw up!  I will say that the only time I think on a shot is when I'm trying to do something out of the norm. For instance, trying to go over some trees. Then I talk to myself "Drop the right shoulder more and swing up".  Practice the swing, then step in and repeat.  

• Like 5

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

I track scores obviously, but I also track FW%, GIR, # of putts using a Garmin S20 - and have summaries of same for each hole at every course I play thanks to Garmin. I also track eagles-birdies-pars-bogeys-double or worse. AutoShot on my Garmin S20 also summarizes distance and dispersion for all my shots, though Driver is the only one I review occasionally. 

Helps me know what to work on, and how best to play certain holes - e.g. I've learned to layup on two par 4's on my regular course where the weeds are as much as waist high. Between my Garmin S20 and a DIY spreadsheet that I built/maintain - it's almost no work to have lots of info.

• Like 3
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 TSR w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06 w MCC+4 Midsize
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec w P2 Touch Tour
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Adidas Codechaos, FJ DryJoys

43 minutes ago, Middler said:

I track scores obviously, but I also track FW%, GIR, # of putts using a Garmin S20 - and have summaries of same for each hole at every course I play thanks to Garmin. I also track eagles-birdies-pars-bogeys-double or worse. AutoShot on my Garmin S20 also summarizes distance and dispersion for all my shots, though Driver is the only one I review occasionally. 

Helps me know what to work on, and how best to play certain holes - e.g. I've learned to layup on two par 4's on my regular course. Between my Garmin S20 and a DIY spreadsheet that I built/maintain - it's almost no work to have lots of info.

Like I say everyone does it differently and there is nothing wrong with that--- The way my brain works it would be TMI----- I just shoot off the hip straight off the trailer which is SOP for me. Please do not get mad at me but I hate spreadsheets. A lady worked for us at the wrecker company and she was the queen of spreadsheets. I kept stuff in my notebook so I knew what was going on. I guess in my own way I did spread sheets my way come to think of it. 

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 9:15 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

... Good stuff Tom. I am an artistic kinda guy so that applies to my golf game as well. I certainly understand those with higher even a mid index trying to decide what area of their game needs the most work or which areas need improvement compared to others. One of my least favorites stats though is putts per round. If I am just missing greens, especially on the fringe my putts will be low. Sitting just off the green with a decent lie I am getting up and down most of the time so lots of 1 putts. But hitting more greens usually means more 2 putts.

... I know when I am not driving well. I know when my swing is a little off. I know when my putting touch is a little off. I usually don't make mental mistakes but of course every now and then I go at a pin when I should have been aiming 10 feet left or right. So the bottom line is I know when I play poorly and since my goal is always to improve my driving, iron play, short game and putting I don't think a stat is going to help or change any of that. And like you, I am always interested in the view and communing with the wildlife more than keeping any stats that usually tell me what I already know. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

48 minutes ago, chisag said:

One of my least favorites stats though is putts per round.

Agree with this, and the description on why it is a misleading stat you added.  When I'm tracking my putting, I break it into distances.  Putts from 6 feet- in; putts 6-12, putts 12-18. putts over 18.  That helps me when I spend dedicated time on the putting green.  I jot down the putt distances on the card, then do the breakouts post round so I'm not trying to do all the filter work during the round.  Total putts per round really doesn't give the full picture. 

• Like 1
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Like I say everyone does it differently and there is nothing wrong with that--- The way my brain works it would be TMI----- I just shoot off the hip straight off the trailer which is SOP for me. Please do not get mad at me but I hate spreadsheets. A lady worked for us at the wrecker company and she was the queen of spreadsheets. I kept stuff in my notebook so I knew what was going on. I guess in my own way I did spread sheets my way come to think of it. 

Not mad at all. I wish I could play as well without the effort, but I used spreadsheets at work every single day for 35+ years - so it takes almost no effort, mine are highly automated. Whatever works for others is perfect.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 hour ago, chisag said:

One of my least favorites stats though is putts per round. If I am just missing greens, especially on the fringe my putts will be low. Sitting just off the green with a decent lie I am getting up and down most of the time so lots of 1 putts. But hitting more greens usually means more 2 putts.

21 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Agree with this, and the description on why it is a misleading stat you added.  When I'm tracking my putting, I break it into distances.  Putts from 6 feet- in; putts 6-12, putts 12-18. putts over 18.  That helps me when I spend dedicated time on the putting green.  I jot down the putt distances on the card, then do the breakouts post round so I'm not trying to do all the filter work during the round.  Total putts per round really doesn't give the full picture. 

+1. And why I take putts per round with a grain of salt. The more greens I miss the better I putt - obvious self deception 🤔. Unless I take the time to compare # of putts correlated with GIR (almost never), putts IS misleading. I should track putts by length, but I'm not disciplined enough to do it...

• Like 2
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1