TESTERS WANTED! ×

My first refinish

I just refinished my Cobra S9-1 Pro. First let me say that I'm not one to take on a project like this, just for kicks. It had a crack and I had to strip the paint to find out if the crack was in the paint or in the head. Turns out it was in the paint, right up the seam where the face and crown were welded together. It turned out to be quite a project, with a hilarious ending. After I got the original paint off and got the head prepped for a coat of primer, I thought that the weld seam was going to be problematic....it was. I ended up priming and painting, then stripping it again and starting over, because you could see that seam. What I had to do was put on a thick coat of primer, then sand the crap out of it, to get rid of that seam. Fast forward to Friday night. I had the first coat of paint on and I suddenly decided that I wanted to get it finished, so that I could game it Saturday afternoon. So, I worked and worked and worked on it, until it was done and the clear coat was dried (I had a small space heater blowing directly onto it to speed up the drying process). The only spare driver shaft I had laying around was a pink NV 55 X, so I decided to throw that in it, with my last white ferrule, that was a little mangled up. I got the head glued on with Tour Set epoxy at 2:45AM. It didn't look perfect, but it looked pretty darn good for my first ever refinish attempt.

So to the hilarious part. I pulled it out of the bag on the first hole and bombed one, 2nd hole bombed one, 3rd hole bombed one, then we came to the 5th. I pulled it out on the 5th and after taking a couple practice swings, something just didn't feel quite right. Everything looked good, so I decided to hit it...........just after impact the shaft snapped about 4" up from the head, sending it flying right towards some rocks in a small ditch about 40yds out off the tee box. Yep, it landed right on them. I got to it and luckily there was only a small nick out of the paint on the bottom of the driver. All the work I put in on it, just to have that happen on the 4th driving hole; all I could do was laugh. Luckily I hadn't completely finished the entire bottom (just the paint fill and some small touch ups), because I wanted to see how the paint would hold up on the bottom. I wasn't too upset anyway, because I'd already ordered a new shaft, grip, and white ferrules.

Here are some pics of the process. I painted it a flat white.

Stripped, sanded and ready to go (you can see that problematic seam)

Sanded Head.JPG

After the thick coat of primer.

Primered Head.JPG

Waiting for some paint to dry.

Fininshed Head.JPG

Final product (I forgot to mention that I left the black face and black sole plate)

Final Product.JPG

Looks V Good keep looking into trying something like this, and having seen yours I think I will once I have finished with my Ram Zebra Putter

Follow me on TWITTER @StuartRust81 or work @OTproshop

Currently in my bag;

Scotty Cameron Newport oil can

All my other clubs are up for sale in the Proshop

New clubs on Order

TaylorMade R1 Driver

RBZ 2 Fairway adjustable

RBZ 2 Hybrid adjustable

RocketBladez Tour

ATV wedges

Looks V Good keep looking into trying something like this, and having seen yours I think I will once I have finished with my Ram Zebra Putter

Thanks. It was a lot of work. In all honesty, I wouldn't have taken on the project if the original paint hadn't cracked. After what I spent in time and paint/primer/sandpaper, I should have just sent it somewhere to have it refinished.

I LOVE the story!!!!! I know some guys who would EXPLODE if that happened to them.

If it would have broke the head or messed up the paint on the crown, I'd have been upset, but since it was just a few nicks in the sole, there was nothing I could do but laugh.

I was just telling my mother-in-law the story and as soon as I told her that I stayed up working so hard on it she said "the head flew off on your first shot, didn't it?". LOL

If it would have broke the head or messed up the paint on the crown, I'd have been upset, but since it was just a few nicks in the sole, there was nothing I could do but laugh.

I was just telling my mother-in-law the story and as soon as I told her that I stayed up working so hard on it she said "the head flew off on your first shot, didn't it?". LOL

Do we have the same mother-in-law? LOL!!!

Looks awesome, and shows how much effort you put into and pride you take in your work.

Archived