Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Sik face vs SOFT face? Which is more useful?

hawk45

As I understand it, the "Sik" face is to make sure the ball comes off the face at the same loft no matter what angle you make contact.   Where the SOFT face on Cleveland putters (and similar to others) has a face that helps with off-center hits, making them roll out further than traditional faces.   Which of these would you think to be more useful or more important?  Is hedging angle of attack or off-center forgiveness better?

I have played the Cleveland SOFT putters as well as cobra’s stingray and currently a SIK Jo. I can say without a doubt, I am a firm believer in SIK’s DLT face. The JO is the best putter I have ever owned and I usually went through a half dozen putters a year until I got it.  

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

there is a lot of face tech out there that claims to do what the cleveland claims to do. The sik sik’s and the cobra sik’s are unique to the industry afaik(DLT), and they have high moi and roll control grooves also, in addition to the sik face, so, If I were buying a putter without picking it up first, today, and I hadn’t just ordered a lab df, i would be getting a sik or a cobra sik. However, you should hit them all and add Bettinardi Studio Stock, Bettinardi Queen Bee, and Evnroll to your list to test. Maybe even hit a LAB DF or Mezz. It’s all about consistent transfer of energy, and which one you feel the most comfortable aiming, which means you should hit practice putts with all of them, even on a concrete green at a big box store. FYI, putter fittings are underrated. 

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

Got me thinking an evnroll/Cleveland soft roll face with the sik loft would be neat. How deep are Cobra’s pockets? 

I have the ping version of the soft face (sigma 2 anser). Honestly I can’t say if my speed control is any better with it over my Mizuno. My guess is that most greens are too unpredictable to spot the difference a studio fitting might uncover.

That said, the SIK intuitively seems more consequential and likely to be noticeable. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

I think it will depend on your miss.  Both loft and impact location are important for controlling a putts distance.   If you struggle with loft at impact then the Sik face would probably be a bigger benefit.  If you struggle with missing left/right of center than the EvnRoll type face would be more beneficial.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Both are effective depending on your stroke.  The SIK face isn’t something new, this technology was available on Teardrop putters back in the 90’s.  Use what puts the ball in the hole and gives you confidence

Driver - Titleist TSI 3 Ventus Blue Velocore

3 Wood - Titleist TSI3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple

2 Hybrid - Titleist TS2 - Aldila Tour Blue

3 Hybrid - Titleist TSI2 - VA Composites Raijin

5-PW - Titleist T200/Mizuno MP20HMB Nippon Modus 105

Wedges - Gap Titleist Vokey SM8-48-54 bent to 53 Taylormade Hi Toe 58 all with Nippon Modus 115

Putters - Toulon Las Vegas H7 Titleist Phantom X 5.5- on order seems forever

My vote is for the SIK face. In years past, I used a soft face Odyssey 7.  It was ok, but I never had what i'd call confidence with the putter. I knew I liked the soft face rather than the hard face putters, but I'm not sure it really showed up in performance numbers. Last year I decided to try an arm lock, and I bought the Odyssey Big 7 stroke lab. That had a soft face with the micro hinges, but I still had problems on any long putts. I think the arm lock style is deadly from short range but on anything long that putter would Pop the ball up in the air, which messed with my distance control.  Because I couldn't handle long putts with it I gave it up and tried an 35" Evnroll putter.  While I rather liked the gravity grip, I wasn't in love with the putter itself. Then Cobra came out with their arm lock sik face 3D printed putters. I had to try it. I love the thing. I'm as good short range as I was with the big seven but I don't have any of the same problems popping up long distance putts as I did with that big 7 putter. I credit that to the sik face. No matter how I approach it even at length the roll is very pure. This is the first time in a long time where within a couple of months I wasn't itching to get another putter. I can see keeping this for a long time. 

That's my two cents, take it or leave it. 

WITB; VLS Driver, Srixon ZX 3 wood, Snake Eyes 3, 4 and 5 hybrids, TA Irons, Callaway Jaws High toe 54 and 58, Cobra Agera Armlock Putter. Trust Aurora Golf Balls. 

Love Cleveland putters. But several scientific studies have shown face milling/pattern does nothing to effect performance, only feel

Driver: Sim 9*, ventus blue 6R

3 wood: Srixon ZX

Hybrids: Srixon ZX 3H and 4H

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5-GW (5 iron with UST Recoil F3; 6-GW, Nippon 950h reg)

Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52* and 58*, 52* Nippon 950GH, & 58* TT90

Putter: Odyssey Versa 12

Ball: Srixon Zstar

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5

2 minutes ago, Nat said:

Love Cleveland putters. But several scientific studies have shown face milling/pattern does nothing to effect performance, only feel

The SOFT face like the Ping TR Face and the EvnRoll face vary the amount of surface contact which impacts ball speed.  Studies by Ping have shown these groove work.   If it is a consistent milling pattern like you are describing, your statement is correct.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm a big fan of the EVNROLL putters.  Even with a short backswing - I can miss the sweet spot, so I've come to love the unusual groove pattern to help keep my putts consistent.  I was experimenting with a Ping and Odyssey putter at various points this year, didn't care for them and ended up back where I started.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

On 8/30/2022 at 5:29 PM, hawk45 said:

As I understand it, the "Sik" face is to make sure the ball comes off the face at the same loft no matter what angle you make contact.   Where the SOFT face on Cleveland putters (and similar to others) has a face that helps with off-center hits, making them roll out further than traditional faces.   Which of these would you think to be more useful or more important?  Is hedging angle of attack or off-center forgiveness better?

you forgot to mention the Evnroll putters, that was my first purchase when I got into the game of golf (2years ago) and I'm a true believer of the technology in those putters. I definitely believe in the sik tech as well but, with evnroll your going to have the consistent distance control and speed even on off center hits. 

Jlo

1 hour ago, Peejer said:

I'm a big fan of the EVNROLL putters.  Even with a short backswing - I can miss the sweet spot, so I've come to love the unusual groove pattern to help keep my putts consistent.  I was experimenting with a Ping and Odyssey putter at various points this year, didn't care for them and ended up back where I started.

yesssss!! didn't read your post before I posted about my evnroll experience, but I love my evnroll and probably a lifer. I haven't tried their midlock version. I'm excited to see what comes out next year. 

Jlo

I have quite a few putters.  Over the years I've put a collection together.

When I saw this post, I was intrigued.  I had never heard of a SIK putter.

I just tapped in SIK in search and my gast was never so flabbered!

£799 for a putter!!

I can't see me adding anything like this to my stable.

I just upgraded to the SIK Flo armlock a few months ago. The DLT is absolutely amazing. You definitely notice a difference in the way the ball rolls as soon as it comes off the face. Consistency and confidence standing over the ball has improved so much since adding the SIK putter to the bag. Definitely give a SIK or cobra putter a try.

Cobra LTDx

Callaway Epic Max

Callaway Rogue Max Hybrid

Callaway Apex 21

Callaway Jaws MD5

SIK Flo Armlock Putter

Having had EVNRoll, Cleveland, and currently SIK, I would definitely rank DLT then Sweet Face, then SOFT for distance control. Which is more important than direction. 

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

Am currently working with the new Ping PLD Anser Matte.  Love the milled face and the feel.  Finally changed the grip to my standard GolfPride SNSR 104.  The retail models do not have an alignment aide.  Of course this can be corrected with a sharpie.    Rain has been the downfall in our relationship.  I also have the Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.  The only two putters in my current inventory.  The Ping seems to work better on faster greens.  I am just addicted to the Anser style putter.  Has been around for so many years and has been a successful style.  Everyone has copied it.  Just use the same grip I use with all my other clubs. {The way I was taught by a very good putter many years ago, who hustled up and down the east coast.  Loved old Whitey.  The mold of a Sam Snead, who he beat pretty regularly in the Carolina's and Virginia as an amateur.  Best short game player I have ever seen.}        

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I have a Cobra WideSport 35" with the Sik face on it. I also have an EvnRoll ER2 ML. Turns out I hit the middle of the putter face without issue but it was difficult for me to get the ball rolling "energy transfer" without the Enroll ML but then I stopped by PGASS and tried the Cobra with the Sik face and was amazed on how easy it was to get the ball rolling. I've been using it for three months now. Like it alot. I don't like that the face is made out of aluminum and nicks easily but that's my OCD kicking in. 

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER       cobra WideSport 35" 
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice.