Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

GP Face On / Side Saddle Putter

ole gray

Have you ever wondered about putting side saddle and your name is not Sam Snead?  Well there are putters out there that give you a chance to rock your world with a totally different stroke. Of course you have the old belly putters and or chest putters aka titty putters which by the way are still legal, if you don't press on your belly or titties. You still have to look side ways down the line with those two. With the side saddle style you are directly facing your target which places both of your eyeballs squarely down the line.  Good stuff! Especially if you have a crick in your neck from your old lady smacking ya with a frying pan. In the next few weeks I will be giving you my thoughts good or bad on how this putter works for a north Georgia country boy. I'm going to warn you up front my grammar at times would have Grandma Gertrude dropping her false teeth on more than one occasion. Anyways hang on and let's fire this sucker up!

The version  (GP) that I will be reviewing comes from Mr. Patrice Dionne.   Watching his videos you can tell this style putter is not his first rodeo.   He rolls the rock extremely well so if you have time you might check out his style. 

The putter is very basic and simplistic with design.  Nothing but a couple lines to help frame the ball and that's it. It has somewhat of a #7ish look with the two fangs sticking out the back.  Works OK with picking up balls.  I've had better picker uppers but it will get er done.  It's not a wide putter, in fact it's narrow looking down at it so don't be expecting no big foot to jump out at  ya. 

The face has a good looking mill texture to it!  Somewhat of a click sound when contacting the ball and some of my videos coming later will give you a hint of what I mean. 

The bottom simply has the GP logo with Mr Dionne's name.

Now the head cover is show nuff uptown with the nice magnetic closure system.  Very nice and well made so big thumbs up for you putter cover mothers.  

You can order these putters to match your height.  It's a two grip system which I'm sure you long putter HO's are familiar with. 

Ok yesterday was my first day on the course with this puppy.   I had about thirty minutes on the practice green before teeing up so basically I was raw as a good case of hemorrhoids. Man you talk about stinking up the joint it was nasty!  I think I had only two (two putts) and the rest were three jackers and worst.  Hell old Uncle Ben's blind mule could have rolled the ball better than I did yesterday.  This front face putter's butt was drawing up tighter than Dicks hatband when I walked past a pond.  Just a little bit frustrated.  Ok so I went home and dug out the videos of ole Patrice Dionne doing his magic.  I found out I was putting the ball too far back in my stance.  Dumb ole fart!  

Today was soooooo much better.   Not ready to be a demo expert for Mr. Dionne yet but I saw some drastic improvement.

Front Nine:  Two 3 putts, Five 2 putts, & two 1 putts = 18
Back Nine: Six 2 putts, Two 1 putts & One chip in = 14  
Total = 32

I shot 43 + 38 = 81 today using this face on technique.   Not bad for day two!

If you're looking for more info stay tuned as I will have some videos coming up in the near future.

GPputtertop.jpg

GPputterface.jpg

GPputterbottom.jpg

GPputtercover.jpg

GPputtertotallength.jpg

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Man you gotta stay away from late night TV infomercials... 🤪🤣 (..kidding kidding lol)

Interesting gizmo, and curious to hear how it continues to perform for you.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 minute ago, cksurfdude said:

Man you gotta stay away from late night TV infomercials... 🤪🤣 (..kidding kidding lol)

Interesting gizmo, and curious to hear how it continues to perform for you.

I learned all my club ho skills from you good folks! 😉

Cleveland

I took a little time today to shoot a video of my putting stroke in my office with the GP putter.  I had a couple of my putting coaches watching the action to make sure I was working on the correct form.   I'm becoming more proficient each day with this putter and yesterday shot a 38 on the back with it.   The total score was 81 which is not bad after only two days of use on the course.  This video was shot with me putting from 7 foot.  This weekend I'll try to get back out to my course and shoot some from the practice putting green.  Go Dawgs!!!

Cleveland

Nice write up OG! I look forward to following your progress with the face on putting.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

1 hour ago, Parshooter36 said:

Nice write up OG! I look forward to following your progress with the face on putting.

Thanks buddy!   I'll be working with this putter for at least a couple of months to see if it can hang with my home boy putter...... 😁

Cleveland

Yesterday I went out and practiced for a couple hours at my course and I will do the same today.   I'm seeing some positive results and with all the work I'm putting in this side saddle style is becoming somewhat normal.  Actually it's fun practicing with it as there is no noticeable strain on my back. It's kind of addicting which is a good thing because the more you practice, the more you like your putter. 😍

Cleveland

I worked on my putting for a couple hours today and only recorded a short circle drill.  I forgot my gopro camera so I had to prop my iphone on the back of my truck and take a short video. I couldn't figure out how to set a delay on starting the video so I could get set up.   I'll have my gopro for the next practice session to show you all how well I am putting from 10, 20, & 60 feet.   I think you will be surprised!

Cleveland

5 minutes ago, Subsonic said:

Awesome!  I love when people obtain results with methods that others feel is unorthodox.  

If I hadn't met a golfer where I play that uses this technique and does so very successfully, I would have never been interested.  In fact he is the first person I've ever seen putt side saddle. He said his putting yips were so bad he either had to find a different technique or quit golf entirely..  

Cleveland

19 minutes ago, ole gray said:

If I hadn't met a golfer where I play that uses this technique and does so very successfully, I would have never been interested.  In fact he is the first person I've ever seen putt side saddle. He said his putting yips were so bad he either had to find a different technique or quit golf entirely..  

I am a firm believer that you don't know unless you try.  NASA told Elon Musk he would fail in space, now he owns it.  Side Saddle worked for Sam Snead, so I am 100% positive there is merit to it.  

• ole gray changed the title to GP Face On / Side Saddle Putter

Today was a strange day with the GP putter.  I was chipping really well with my Square Strike Wedge thus some 1 putts on the front.   The back side was a total disaster with 4 three putts. 

Front side:
4 - one putts
5 - two putts
Total = 14

Back side: 
1 - one putt
4 - two putts
4 - three putts
Total = 21

35 Putts! 

I shot 84 today 

Maybe tomorrow I can put two good sides together with the putter. 

Cleveland

Today I went out with my regular putter and did ok however I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling as I do when putting side saddle. One thing I have to consider is taking my breaks either left to right or right to left more serious.  For some reason I feel like I can just tap it in from any where within five feet. I get frustrated when I don't thus losing my concentration.   I'm sticking with side saddle as Grant Waite suggests it can take up to a year to totally own this style stroke. 

A little video of Grant using the same putter I have on tour:  

Cleveland

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

Today I went out with my regular putter and did ok however I don't have that warm fuzzy feeling as I do when putting side saddle. One thing I have to consider is taking my breaks either left to right or right to left more serious.  For some reason I feel like I can just tap it in from any where within five feet. I get frustrated when I don't thus losing my concentration.   I'm sticking with side saddle as Grant Waite suggests it can take up to a year to totally own this style stroke. 

A little video of Grant using the same putter I have on tour:  

When you putt, do you fancy yourself being Sam Snead?  Does it help?  😀

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

23 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

When you putt, do you fancy yourself being Sam Snead?  Does it help?  😀

LOL  I hadn't thought about ole Slamming Sam but it might be worth trying. 

Cleveland

Ok folks I went out this evening and did some videos on various length putts.  Hopefully you can see for the most part, how smooth or end over end roll the GP putter puts on the ball. I didn't talk much as I was all business trying to get this done for you all.  Remember I'm not a good putter so you can see most of the putts ended up fairly close to the hole so I have to give the GP an atta boy!  I'm really becoming very fond of this putter and it's going to stay in the bag for the remainder of this year.  I have some mighty good putters in my closet so for this to gain the top spot, it really has to impress me. So without further ado let's get this ball rolling! 

12 Foot Putt: 

20 Foot Putt: 

25 Foot Putt 

30 Foot Putt 

Last but not least the 60 foot putt which I was super pleased with how close I came with six putts.  I'm a newby at side saddle putting and I can tell ya with a little more time I'm going to be kicking some butt and emptying some pockets with this putter.  

I hope you enjoyed these videos and would I buy the GP putter by Dionne again?   After the first round and that was totally not the putters fault, I would have said hell no! I've experiment during some of my rounds with different hand placement and no doubt that has thrown a wrench in my putt counts.  I finally settled on the grip I am using in these videos and I am very confident in my future with this putter.  I actually put my right hand in front of the shaft and although it looks very unorthodox it works for me. Would I buy another face front putter,  hell yea I might have a closet full of em before it's over with. 😆 Oh and you can see I'm using the Maxfli yellow Tour ball in my videos.   LOVE that ball! 😍

Cleveland

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

Ok folks I went out this evening and did some videos on various length putts.  Hopefully you can see for the most part, how smooth or end over end roll the GP putter puts on the ball. I didn't talk much as I was all business trying to get this done for you all.  Remember I'm not a good putter so you can see most of the putts ended up fairly close to the hole so I have to give the GP an atta boy!  I'm really becoming very fond of this putter and it's going to stay in the bag for the remainder of this year.  I have some mighty good putters in my closet so for this to gain the top spot, it really has to impress me. So without further ado let's get this ball rolling! 

12 Foot Putt: 

20 Foot Putt: 

25 Foot Putt 

30 Foot Putt 

Last but not least the 60 foot putt which I was super pleased with how close I came with six putts.  I'm a newby at side saddle putting and I can tell ya with a little more time I'm going to be kicking some butt and emptying some pockets with this putter.  

I hope you enjoyed these videos and would I buy the GP putter by Dionne again?   After the first round and that was totally not the putters fault, I would have said hell no! I've experiment during some of my rounds with different hand placement and no doubt that has thrown a wrench in my putt counts.  I finally settled on the grip I am using in these videos and I am very confident in my future with this putter.  I actually put my right hand in front of the shaft and although it looks very unorthodox it works for me. Would I buy another face front putter,  hell yea I might have a closet full of em before it's over with. 😆 Oh and you can see I'm using the Maxfli yellow Tour ball in my videos.   LOVE that ball! 😍

Nice job!

Is that really a green, or are you putting in a fairway?  Oh yeah... must be that bermuda sh!t.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Some thoughts on the negative side of this putter:

* It feels light weight through the stroke.   Personally I would prefer a bit more weight plus girth.   A wider footprint would provide more stability through the stroke. 

**  The grips are a little thin for my big hands.  It would be nice to have an option to order with a bigger grip.

Cleveland

I've decided to wrap up this review and move on to an Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 1 broom stick style putter.   Looking down at the Rossie is more pleasing to my eye and the weight is perfect for my stroke.  Face forward / Side saddle putting is productive for many golfers who are looking for a journey off the main stream road.  I hope you have enjoyed my effort on this putter and if you decide to roll this style it may just be your ticket to success!

Cleveland

• 7 months later...