Most Wanted Member Zoom Call!

GolfSpy_APH

AMA

Why have we seen a increase in 7 woods and 5 woods being used vs the traditional longer irons and such which had been so popular even a few years ago. Is it mainly forgiveness or high/decent angle? Also was there much discussion from testers about whether they prefer to use their fairways off the tee vs everywhere else?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

In your experience testing, do you think Cobra's lack of Baffler rails on this year's 3-woods helps or hurts the overall performance? I know it still won Most Wanted, just curious on your thoughts. In the past, testers seemed to enjoy the rails like I do. From 2019 Most Wanted testing, this was said about the runner-up Cobra F9: "One unique, but classic design characteristic of the F9 Speedback is the Baffler rail system. Placed along the sole of the club, the rails help the club move effortlessly through the turf. Tester feedback was positive and many felt the rails really helped keep the clubface square through impact."

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone Big Tour 13.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: :cobra-small: KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: :srixon-small: ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: Maxfli TourX (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

GPS: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch (Thanks MGS!)

I may be wrong, but it seems to me there are fewer adjustable hosel options in the market today then there was a few years ago.  Is this a trend you see happening and why?

The ability to adjust loft/face angle was great for me with the Cobra Speedzone 5-wood.  I don't think I'd want to give that up in a future fairway purchase.

• Like 4

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120X | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | :ping-small: Traverse | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Fairway woods have been giving me issues for years.  I never hit them very well; always opting for hybrids.  I thought they were all pretty much the same without a lot of technology... yeah power channels, weight distribution, hot faces, jailbreak, etc. but they were always difficult to play off the turf... well, for me anyway!  🤣  I tried them all without much luck.  

What is so much different with the Callaway Epic/Rogue Max and the Cleveland Launcher XL Halo fairway woods that make them so much easier to hit well?  I've replaced all of my hybrids with the Epic Max 3W, Heavenwood, and 9W and they have become clubs that I rely on to score well.  I love them!!  I expect to hate them soon, but it never happens.

• Like 7

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Why do some technologies not seem to make it into an OEMs fairway woods or hybrids that they do use in their drivers?  Or at least, why are they delayed?  Callaway’s Jailbreak took a while to move from driver into the rest of the metal wood lineup, TM hasn’t brought a carbon face to their fairways yet, etc.

• Like 2

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Happy Labour Day for all our US Members. 

Looking forward to tomorrow and joining many of you on the call tomorrow and having a great discussion with Phillip and Harry. An announcement with the link to Zoom will be posted an hour before the call so anyone can get setup and ready for it!

We are able to get some insights into wedge testing as well which will be releasing soon!

Hey Jamie, I have to work during that time. Is there a way to listen in later or could someone let me know if my question is answered?

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone Big Tour 13.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: :cobra-small: KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: :srixon-small: ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: Maxfli TourX (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

GPS: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch (Thanks MGS!)

Happy Labour Day for all our US Members. 

Looking forward to tomorrow and joining many of you on the call tomorrow and having a great discussion with Phillip and Harry. An announcement with the link to Zoom will be posted an hour before the call so anyone can get setup and ready for it!

We are able to get some insights into wedge testing as well which will be releasing soon!

• Like 1

How about a little love for us old guys and our slower swing speeds. Golf is a hard game which gets more difficult as we get older so any club which helps us hit it further is important.  How do the manufacturers believe the fairways should be played for optimal performance - hit down, sweep, etc. and what makes them better for the slower swing speed besides a softer shaft?

I have a starter set of clubs that I’ve been using since I started playing in 2020.  I switched from my starter driver to my husband’s Callaway driver and have been loving it!  I even had golfers from other teams in a recent tournament  comment on how far I was driving the ball (that was so cool!).  I’m 5’4” and I have people tell me that I should get a Womens driver because the length and design would help my game.  It’s hard to imagine that it would help me drive further than my husband’s driver.  What are your thoughts?

Tijoli

Have you done any studies on wedge spin after a club has been in heavy use for a year or two?  i.e. as grooves wear down, what is the overall performance impact.  This might be geared to the more advanced player but I think the mid recreational player could benefit as well.  

• Mav SubZ 9°
  • Mav SubZ 14.5°
  • Mav SubZ 16°
  • Mav 4hy
  • Apex CF19 5- AW
  • Hogan Equalizer 54°
    Cleveland 58°
  • Odyssey StrokeLab 7s
  • TaylorMade TP5x

I agree with JerryK about more info/discussion about fairway and other clubs for those of us with slower swing speeds.

18A751BA-9D76-4A69-8E0F-398EE94B7054.jpeg

Why aren't there more offerings in really big headed fairways? 

Why is it so hard to find a stock 55/10 player's sand wedge?--I challenge you to find one or tell me how to get one, without regrinding, currently new on market. 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

5 minutes ago, Josh Ross said:

Hey Jamie, I have to work during that time. Is there a way to listen in later or could someone let me know if my question is answered?

I'm going to try and record it and post it later!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

As like some members, I have not been able to hit a 3 wood at all. I have been using hybrids (16,18&20 degree) which work fine for me but I know I am lacking some distance on Par 5s for the approach shots. 

I hit my hybrids the following avg. distances:

5 hybrid (20 degree) = 190

4 hybrid (18 degree) = 200

3 hybrid (16 degree) = 210

Would woods be longer? Easier?

• Like 2

PXG 0811x Gen 4 9 degree driver

Exotic 3,4,5 hybrid

Sub70 699 6-AW for itons

Kirkland wedges 56 & 60

Scotty Cameron Studio 1.5 putter

Have design changes in 7 woods and Heavenwoods really improved 

ball speeds and such since the V Steel?

• Like 1

TM SLDR or Rocketballz but M2 soon

TM sLDR mini or callaway 3 deep

callaway GBB Heavenwood
Titleist 804 cb forged 3i

TM Rsi1 and 2 mixed iron

Ping Glide 50 54, RTX 58

Cameron Detour

any soft ball but Supersoft are sweet

How important is the Flex Point of a Shaft?

Golf is a Social Game for me now! I have fun playing many courses w many different golfers all the way to Pinehurst & around Raleigh/Durham area!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to miss this one due to a work conflict, but I'll definitely check out the recording and I hope these continue.

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

All those interested in joining in just under 2 hours time here is the link to the Most Wanted Zoom Call!

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/86139387352?pwd=ck9xUXEya3ZiUFZEQk0zdGxrZ0hHdz09

• Like 1

WE ARE LIVE! Come join in on the discussion!

• Like 2

Yup, come join the fun! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120X | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | :ping-small: Traverse | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8