TESTERS WANTED! ×

Berg attempts to prove he has a Smart Sole

Berg Ryman

I recently bought a Smart Sole 4 chipper after seeing all of the buzz aroung the Ping ChipR. I liked the higher loft and wider sole on the Cleveland chipper over the Ping. Although to be fair, I have not tried the Ping. 

I've had it in the bag for a few weeks now and have had a couple of chip ins with it already. I've also bladed a few across the green with it, so it's not fool proof but overall I still feel like my chipping has improved with it.

As an added bonus, I had a sizeable gap between my gap wedge and pitching wedge that the Smart Sole fits in perfectly. I know it's not designed for a full swing but I'm telling you, the thing is deadly from 115 for me.

Driver: :cobra-small: LTDx
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 6-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   
bloodline(2).png.8f7245797de1f39b93a647d0292c1b2b.png Vale
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

Cool. Use the right tool for the job, as the old saying goes.

Question @Berg Ryman - how'd you select this guy over the ChipR or, say, the Square Strike or the Cleveland CBX or other companies' wide -soled wedges?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I love it Ryan. Glad you pulled the trigger. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

8 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Cool. Use the right tool for the job, as the old saying goes.

Question @Berg Ryman - how'd you select this guy over the ChipR or, say, the Square Strike or the Cleveland CBX or other companies' wide -soled wedges?

100% boiled down to cost and comfort with the brand. I still had an open deal with Cleveland/Srixon from when I worked at DSG to get wholesale pricing so at the price I couldn't say no. I did consider the ChipR but the local Golf Galaxy didn't have it in stock and cost wise, knowing I'm also looking at new woods, I decided buying new wedges along side of it as a newly married man might end that marriage very quickly.

I did go wide-soled with the Gap Wedge as well picking up a CBX Zipcore after I saw one in the bag of a guy I was playing in league literally the day before I made this purchase. Also listened to @McGolf and went for more bounce in the wedge I'll be using as a sand wedge/lob wedge hybrid with the versatile grind on it, the Tour Raw Zipcore which there were really great reviews of here.

23 minutes ago, Parshooter36 said:

I recently bought a Smart Sole 4 chipper after seeing all of the buzz aroung the Ping ChipR. I liked the higher loft and wider sole on the Cleveland chipper over the Ping. Although to be fair, I have not tried the Ping. 

I've had it in the bag for a few weeks now and have had a couple of chip ins with it already. I've also bladed a few across the green with it, so it's not fool proof but overall I still feel like my chipping has improved with it.

As an added bonus, I had a sizeable gap between my gap wedge and pitching wedge that the Smart Sole fits in perfectly. I know it's not designed for a full swing but I'm telling you, the thing is deadly from 115 for me.

I hope to have a similar experience... it would be nice to have my own as I believe @ole graycalled his Square Strike, "pocket picker"!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

my question, what are you going to drop from your bag to accommodate this?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

3 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

my question, what are you going to drop from your bag to accommodate this?

So right now for today's round I'm thinking 3 wood. I just like my hybrid that much more and find it more versatile. However, once my Tour Rack wedge comes next week, the current wedge set up goes out the window. We'll be swapping the 48/53/58 set up for 49/55/chipper, so I guess technically we're dropping the 58? Being fair when I played my best in high school, I only had a 56* wedge in the bag after PW anyway, so it's not something I'm unfamiliar with. I'm much more of give me options at the long end of the bag where I can attack and let me control the lower end through half shot, 3/4 shot, etc type guy. It's why I got the wedge grind in the tour rack with the heel relief and the trailing edge, like your 54, but adding loft and increasing the bounce by that 1 degree.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

19 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Love seeing more guys check their ego out at the door and jump on the chipper train. Can’t wait to see how you get along with it!

I mean, here's my thought. I work a crazy job, am recently married, trying to be a pickleball player with my wife, and still try to find time for movies/tv/gym so I've have primarily shifted to weekend warrior/9 hole league during the week guy. At most I play 27 holes a week during the season, at least 9. If something can help me, I'm asking for the help!

SIK Golf Flo-C

16 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

I mean, here's my thought. I work a crazy job, am recently married, trying to be a pickleball player with my wife, and still try to find time for movies/tv/gym so I've have primarily shifted to weekend warrior/9 hole league during the week guy. At most I play 27 holes a week during the season, at least 9. If something can help me, I'm asking for the help!

Exactly! And we are always looking for equipment to make up for deficiencies in our game.  How is adding a specialty club for low shots around the green any different?  That name is what gives it the stigma.  

Hell if PING named their club the C525 or the GLIDE-C or something else it would probably sell 10x as much.  ChipR is a stupid name and makes it sound gimmicky.  But ping is a bit eclectic and the ChipR name is an homage to the original ChipO

30 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Exactly! And we are always looking for equipment to make up for deficiencies in our game.  How is adding a specialty club for low shots around the green any different?  That name is what gives it the stigma.  

Hell if PING named their club the C525 or the GLIDE-C or something else it would probably sell 10x as much.  ChipR is a stupid name and makes it sound gimmicky.  But ping is a bit eclectic and the ChipR name is an homage to the original ChipO

... I have never understood the aversion to any club because of the name. I know Rocketballz got killed because of the name even though it was a great product. But golf is a game of confidence and I think any club that gives you confidence is a great club. If someone is reluctant just because of a name that is their loss. Chipper, mini driver or whatever. If it works, it works. 👍

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have never understood the aversion to any club because of the name. I know Rocketballz got killed because of the name even though it was a great product. But golf is a game of confidence and I think any club that gives you confidence is a great club. If someone is reluctant just because of a name that is their loss. Chipper, mini driver or whatever. If it works, it works. 👍

It's completely an ego thing, just like most things golf.

There are still people out there that refuse to game hybrids, lower flex shafts, more forgiving irons, etc because their macho ego won't let them.  It's the same ego that gets bruised when I beat them on a hole when my 3 handicap ass gets up and down with my ChipR and they blade their lob wedge across the green

6 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

100% boiled down to cost and comfort with the brand. I still had an open deal with Cleveland/Srixon from when I worked at DSG to get wholesale pricing so at the price I couldn't say no. I did consider the ChipR but the local Golf Galaxy didn't have it in stock and cost wise, knowing I'm also looking at new woods, I decided buying new wedges along side of it as a newly married man might end that marriage very quickly.

I did go wide-soled with the Gap Wedge as well picking up a CBX Zipcore after I saw one in the bag of a guy I was playing in league literally the day before I made this purchase. Also listened to @McGolf and went for more bounce in the wedge I'll be using as a sand wedge/lob wedge hybrid with the versatile grind on it, the Tour Raw Zipcore which there were really great reviews of here.

I hope to have a similar experience... it would be nice to have my own as I believe @ole graycalled his Square Strike, "pocket picker"!

Jim had an effect on a lot of us that weekend. @cnosil going with graphite shafts in his wedges and I got swing tips which helped me out.

So you guys will be sad to know I hit 7 out of 9 greens tonight in league so not a lot of Smart Sole action. I did hit three shots with it.

First shot, I had roughly 25 yards left on a par 5 after my first two shots. Pin was front of green so I figured, let's run it in there! Left it in the fringe, about 18 feet from the hole, 2 putted for par. 

Second and third shot were on the last. Long par 3 and I just hit a high week push, doing nothing. Long punch shot required of around 40 yards, I take the Smart Sole, kinda of middle the ball and try ro run it up, just short of the green, maybe 8-10 yards. Hit a regular chip to 6 inches to save a bogey. Shot 37 (+2) bogeying the last three holes.

So Smart Sole report early is promising. I'm going to need to work on it obviously, but I can see the benefit of having it

SIK Golf Flo-C

17 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Jim had an effect on a lot of us that weekend.

Loved his stories! And man that dude can talk..!! 

But back to Berg...

"So you guys will be sad to know I hit 7 out of 9 greens"

LOLing!! 😄

But yeah sounds like you've got to keep experimenting and find the kind of trouble spots where the new Smartie will be the most effective for you. 

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

24 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Loved his stories! And man that dude can talk..!! 

But back to Berg...

"So you guys will be sad to know I hit 7 out of 9 greens"

LOLing!! 😄

But yeah sounds like you've got to keep experimenting and find the kind of trouble spots where the new Smartie will be the most effective for you. 

a humble brag... for sure. No one is going to promote you if you don't promote yourself!

Seriously though, I do think we're in for some more putting green practice and hopefully getting everything smoothed out

SIK Golf Flo-C

So, I got a session in this weekend on a putting green. I think I'm getting delivery figured out a bit. I thought from the jump a putter stroke would give me the best results, but I think I need to use it a bit more like an actual wedge, so a bit more of a downward motion with the shot to really get the max out of it. Results though are promising. A captain and crew this week for our year end league may not give me the most chance for Smart Sole usage, but I do think I'm playing a round sometime this weekend as well.

SIK Golf Flo-C

On 9/6/2022 at 2:53 PM, Berg Ryman said:

So, I got a session in this weekend on a putting green. I think I'm getting delivery figured out a bit. I thought from the jump a putter stroke would give me the best results, but I think I need to use it a bit more like an actual wedge, so a bit more of a downward motion with the shot to really get the max out of it. Results though are promising. A captain and crew this week for our year end league may not give me the most chance for Smart Sole usage, but I do think I'm playing a round sometime this weekend as well.

One of the cool side effects of getting to know my ChipR is I have new techniques I’ve learned that I can use with my wedges. I never hit toe down chips or anything like that but now the technique that the ChipR has taught  with the putting-likestroke has allowed me add to my toolbox for shots around the green. 

So, I didn't play my weekend round. Why you may ask? Well, although I may now have a smart sole, no one ever said I was a smart guy. I set my alarm for the 7:30 and 7:40 tee times for 6:42... pm. A total disaster but I got to sleep in for the first time all week, so a slight win!

When I get back from court, I'll update you on the captain and crew. We had more smart sole than I thought.

SIK Golf Flo-C

So, the captain and crew round. I was hoping to not give the smart sole that much of a workout, and sadly, my wants were not met. 

First chip of the round was on the 13th hole. 265 yard par 4, I nearly drove the green, since it had rained the prior we were caught up in the fringe. We had about 50 feet of green and a few yards of fringe to work with. Took the Smart sole, chipped it to hole high, but about 15 feet left of the flag as I was expected the left side slope to help us out.

14th hole, we were short, took the smart sole from the rough, got it on the green but well short of the hole and someone went inside me. I was chipping third and the first two had flubbed so I wasn't as aggressive as I'd like but a better result that I might have done with the lofted wedges in my bag right now.

Last chip was more of a pitch on the 17th. In all honesty, I should have hit my 55* with the ball way above the feet stance but it was captain and crew and we were already on the green, not tight but on. Caught it a little heel heavy and left it short of the tier I needed to get it to and really didn't hit the right shot for the situation.

So, after a few excursions and as the season winds down, where are we with the Smart Sole. I think it's staying in the bag for now. I might not be using as versatile as it can be yet, but early results are promising when I get it in the situations I think I should be using it for. Do I think I need to work on it a bit? Of course I do, it was a very late addition to the bag, but I think it's going to be a solid addition for 2023 and going forward.

SIK Golf Flo-C

On 9/13/2022 at 2:22 PM, Berg Ryman said:

I think it's staying in the bag for now. I might not be using as versatile as it can be yet, but early results are promising when I get it in the situations I think I should be using it for.

Very cool. Sounds like you're quickly starting to get comfortable with it, so a few more situations with the smartie and those cups will need to learn how to sidestep to keep your ball out! 😉😄

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So Mr. Crossfield put up a short on his youtube channel about technique for the chipper and that you need to be even more upright and stand closer to it. Tried that this weekend and got better contact than I had been. Sadly with the temps and rain I might not get a chance to get out again this year, but it's at least something to work on technique wise in the basement. Also, regripped with the Lamkin Sonar Tour Wrap with the Calibrate Rib tech, that grip rules.

SIK Golf Flo-C

• 4 weeks later...

So back for what is likely the last full round update of the year and it was by far the most expansive use of the Smart Sole yet. I was very focused on being more upright and when need be, I got better results out of the smart sole than any round so far. Perhaps the biggest surprise was the use of the club from the 25-50 yard range. I hit shots from these ranges on the 2nd, 3rd, 13th, and 16th holes. the shots on 3 and 13 set up birdie attempts of inside 15 feet, better than what I could have done with a lofted wedge. The shot on 2 got me a 12 footer for par that I missed on a lipout, and the one on 16 got me on the green from a brown mud lie with no grass when just getting on the surface and two putting was the plan for bogey.

I also got to use it closer to the greens as well when needed, they were sanded so roll out was a bit inconsistent and that's part of the equation I'm going to need to figure out is the roll out from shots. Again, better performing at times than a putter or an 8 iron. In fact, there was a situation on our par 5 12th where I had 30 yards and I thought, oh I'll hit a little pitch with the 54 over Smarty, I just hit the shot on the last hole from about 50 yards. Well, the difference was that was center of the fairway and great lie, this was dodgy at best. Left it short of the green, chippered it close, still missed a shorty for par, but a stroke there I should have had if I trusted the Smart Sole.

Lastly, the big surprise. A few half/three-quarter swings with the Smart Sole. Had a shot of around 70 yards under a tree branch to a green. Hit the Smart Sole, kept it under the branches and tried to bounce it into the slope to die the shot. Ended up back of the green and 30 feet, something no wedge in my bag would have been able to do with how close we were to the tree. Then our short Par 3 6th, downhill, playing 110, like 90-100 with slope. I say, Smart Sole time. 3/4 swing, 20 footer for birdie. Maybe finally I have a club for that hole.

In total, an awesome day with Smart Sole, really makes me more certain than any other round it's staying the bag next season.

SIK Golf Flo-C

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2022 at 4:25 PM, Berg Ryman said:

So back for what is likely the last full round update of the year and it was by far the most expansive use of the Smart Sole yet. I was very focused on being more upright and when need be, I got better results out of the smart sole than any round so far. Perhaps the biggest surprise was the use of the club from the 25-50 yard range. I hit shots from these ranges on the 2nd, 3rd, 13th, and 16th holes. the shots on 3 and 13 set up birdie attempts of inside 15 feet, better than what I could have done with a lofted wedge. The shot on 2 got me a 12 footer for par that I missed on a lipout, and the one on 16 got me on the green from a brown mud lie with no grass when just getting on the surface and two putting was the plan for bogey.

I also got to use it closer to the greens as well when needed, they were sanded so roll out was a bit inconsistent and that's part of the equation I'm going to need to figure out is the roll out from shots. Again, better performing at times than a putter or an 8 iron. In fact, there was a situation on our par 5 12th where I had 30 yards and I thought, oh I'll hit a little pitch with the 54 over Smarty, I just hit the shot on the last hole from about 50 yards. Well, the difference was that was center of the fairway and great lie, this was dodgy at best. Left it short of the green, chippered it close, still missed a shorty for par, but a stroke there I should have had if I trusted the Smart Sole.

Lastly, the big surprise. A few half/three-quarter swings with the Smart Sole. Had a shot of around 70 yards under a tree branch to a green. Hit the Smart Sole, kept it under the branches and tried to bounce it into the slope to die the shot. Ended up back of the green and 30 feet, something no wedge in my bag would have been able to do with how close we were to the tree. Then our short Par 3 6th, downhill, playing 110, like 90-100 with slope. I say, Smart Sole time. 3/4 swing, 20 footer for birdie. Maybe finally I have a club for that hole.

In total, an awesome day with Smart Sole, really makes me more certain than any other round it's staying the bag next season.

What loft smart sole do you play?  I play the 46* and love it around the green.  I also use it for escaping trees and shiit lies but trust my wedges for most shots.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

21 hours ago, Mackey said:

What loft smart sole do you play?  I play the 46* and love it around the green.  I also use it for escaping trees and shiit lies but trust my wedges for most shots.

the 4.0 has 42* of loft, but sadly I don't think it'll be in my bag for much longer.

SIK Golf Flo-C

31 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

the 4.0 has 42* of loft, but sadly I don't think it'll be in my bag for much longer.

I love mine for those shot five feet to the fringe that I can just put with it.  It is unreal how many I make with the chipper.  I play 58*, 54* and 50* plus the chipper.  I have p-6 irons, 4 & 5 hybrids and am deciding between 3, 4 or 5 wood to gap to my driver.  I like all three woods and may just keep them all in my car and bag the one that suits the shots I may need for the courses I am playing.  The 5 wood will get the nod at my home course for two tee shots.  

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized