TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do We Really Benefit from New Clubs and Technology?

Will Par

Technology in golf gives us a huge number of options when buying clubs. New clubs with new technology are released every day. We come to this site to read reviews to see what to buy next. But I sometimes wonder if all these options and technology helps me play better.

When I started playing golf, the only choices when buying clubs were manufacturer and whether I wanted regular or stiff shafts. All irons were blades and all had steel shafts. Most sets were 2-PW and a Sand Wedge. No choice on wedge lofts, no choice on type of shaft other than flex, and you took whatever grip came installed. Woods were either persimmon or laminated. You just decided which manufacturer you preferred (Hogan, Wilson, MacGregor, etc.) and bought it from the pro shop. You probably would shop around and try to find a good persimmon driver, but other than that you just played with a set similar to what everyone else played with. And best of all, you learned by trial and error how to hit those clubs. There was no perimeter weighting to disguise a poor hit. You knew immediately when you missed the sweet spot and you adjusted.

Today, graphite shafts from dozens of manufacturers come with different weights and flex profiles. If I make the right choice, I hit the driver 30 yards longer. Irons have advanced cavity weighting, multi-metal technology, and high MOI. Even the pros play cavity back irons. If I want to buy a wedge, I have to decide what loft and bounce. And I don't just buy a sand wedge, I need a 3 or 4 wedge set that fits my swing and distance gaps. It's complicated. If I'm not playing well, it is probably because I made the wrong choices. So I start searching for different clubs.

Wouldn't it be better if I just settle on one set of clubs and learn to hit each club in that set? Wouldn't it be better to play blades and get feedback that helps me swing better?

I know this: I shot the best scores of my life when I didn't have many choices and when there was no technology to help me play better. Yes I was younger. But if you ask me, technology hasn't made it any easier for me to hit more greens and fairways... or any easier to make more putts... and certainly no easier to shoot low scores. But I also know this: There are few things in golf more exciting than the anticipation of how a new club will perform. The excitement may be short lived, but putting a new club in play sure is a lot of fun.

Technology in golf gives us a huge number of options when buying clubs. New clubs with new technology are released every day. We come to this site to read reviews to see what to buy next. But I sometimes wonder if all these options and technology helps me play better.

You are talking about options. Let's say that you have decided that you want a new driver. You have looked at all the manufacturers and different choices from them and have decided on a Make and Model. You are not done with choices. This was taken from the Titleist Custom Options site. You have four different lofts, 23 different shafts from 6 different manufacturers, and 53 different grips. That is 4,876 different combinations. After you have decided to get the TM R11s or Callaway RazrHawk or Adams Speedline.

My opinon is that if you are playing with 10 year old equipment or older you need new stuff. If you are like my equipment and it is basically 2 or 3 year old clubs, spend the money on lessons or a golf trip or if you must spend it on the wife and kids. I do not think that the technology varies enough to justify changing every year but maybe every 5 years. Nick Faldo said that he played with the same irons for 21 years.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I think it really depends on the golfer. As a relatively new golfer, I'm still working on getting more speed in my swing without loosing accuracy, so my swing has changed a bit. I don't think new heads are necessary, but it's definitely good to look at new shafts to keep spin numbers where they should be. If you are a golfer who's swing is pretty set and you consistently shoot in the 80s, then don't fix what ain't broke.

While I agree with RR that clubs last roughly 5-10 years, it's just fun to experiment, I'm not sure I could hold off that long between clubs.

While I agree with RR that clubs last roughly 5-10 years, it's just fun to experiment, I'm not sure I could hold off that long between clubs.

this is exactly why i buy clubs.

additionally, while the technology changes are subtle everyyear if u havent upgraded your gear in 5 years ull definitely be able to find that the newer models would most likely benefit your game.

lets say ur still using a tmag bubble or wut its called and u play against someone with an 09 Diablo, assuming u both play off similiar handicaps and strike the ball relatively decent i would guess that 9/10 times Diablo guy would smoke his tee shots yards ahead of u. so why wld u want to disadvantage urself by playing obsolete equipment.

furthermore, courses now are made longer and harder than what i assume to be the "1 model for all brands era". so even if the clubs are easier to hit, the courses are harder to score well on also.so i reckon by keeping up with technology ur just putting urself in a level playing field. you wouldnt bring a world war 2 rifle u could use an M4 right? my point being when ur potential is only limited by the capacity of ur equipment why do u want to shortchange urself

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

You are talking about options. Let's say that you have decided that you want a new driver. You have looked at all the manufacturers and different choices from them and have decided on a Make and Model. You are not done with choices. This was taken from the Titleist Custom Options site. You have four different lofts, 23 different shafts from 6 different manufacturers, and 53 different grips. That is 4,876 different combinations. After you have decided to get the TM R11s or Callaway RazrHawk or Adams Speedline.

My opinon is that if you are playing with 10 year old equipment or older you need new stuff. If you are like my equipment and it is basically 2 or 3 year old clubs, spend the money on lessons or a golf trip or if you must spend it on the wife and kids. I do not think that the technology varies enough to justify changing every year but maybe every 5 years. Nick Faldo said that he played with the same irons for 21 years.

Rick i love how u put lessons and golf trip before wife and kids lol :D

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Hey Will, lets not forget that when you started playing golf, those steel shafts were a huge technological leap over the hickory that preceded them! You were also benefiting from whatever ball you were playing vs what came before, etc. I'm sure you see where I'm going. Its not like technology STARTED advancing when you started playing, you yourself were reaping the rewards of technological advancement that I'm sure the old timers of that era were commenting about (just not on the internet!)! Much of the advancement we see in golf is a byproduct of advancements elsewhere. Better machining techniques and equipment and better materials allow golfers and designers to do things that would have been previously impossible. Computers and software allow designers to work in virtual space, identifying problems before a prototype is even built! Greater availability of swing monitors and simulators allow fitters to see your swing in a way they just flat out couldn't see before, allowing them to better fit you as an individual. To think that all of this does not have impact on the course is a mistake. Of course it does.

There is no "best way" to go about dealing with one's own clubs and technology. Its just personal preference and priorities. Most of us are probably limited by economic realities that keep us from staying on the very tip of the technology curve. All of us are probably limited by the time it would take to be on the cutting edge. How much time can one put into finding the perfect club, when the next product cycle is only months away? At some point one just has to go PLAY golf, right?!

I cycle my club upgrades based on what I feel will help my game the most. I've updated my driver every couple seasons, but I never get the newest best thing, I get one that's a release or two behind. I upgrade my wedges based on wear and tear, and my hybrid/fairway woods based on filling distance gaps and based on technology improvements. My irons I tend to keep longest. I've been playing my current set for 3 seasons and while I'm ready to replace them, I just haven't found anything I hit better that justifies the expense of switching, but the time will come I'm sure.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

... spend the money on lessons or a golf trip or if you must spend it on the wife and kids.

Hey, I said MUST and it was only a suggestion. Just like buying clubs. I will not wait years to buy new clubs.

Hell, I looked at some last night. I do not have the strong desire yet and I am happy with all but one of my clubs. I am happy with it but I have been playing it since 2004 (24* Hybrid) and the paint is gone off of the sole, this is the fifth shaft and I want to replace it with something shinny and new. Problem is it is one of the best performing clubs I have ever found. I replaced its mate (18* hybrid) a couple of months ago and it is a very tough choice. I know exactly what this old club is going to do everytime I hit it. Often I carry the old hybrids with the new headcovers on them. I get the best of both worlds. I see a beautiful shinny club in the bag but get to use a trusted friend.

You know, these OEM's especially, TM and Callaway, are alway touting distance increases. I thought about the Nike VR Pro hybrid but I really do not want to increase the distance I hit some clubs. I for the most part carry two hybrids, I want one to travel 185 and one for 205 with my nice smooth swing. I have an easy swing, smooth swing, and hard swing. If I replace my 185 club lets say RBZ and gain 17 yards. The I have just replaced the wrong club. I can also buy a set with different lengths and lofts, say 1/2" longer, and 2* stronger. That means my new 9 iron is actually my old 8 iron etc... So I have bigger gaps closer to the flag. And then I can wonder how it is that I am hitting the ball so much further than I used to and yet can not score. Phil Mikelson hit a 9 iron 165 yards. I would be hitting my 60 degree wedge 13 times around.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I pretty much follow the saying young golfer new clubs, old golfer old clubs. I have an affection for my old clubs and, after trying for a few years a journey through some newer clubs, I have returned to my old favorites, with some modifications to bag content.

I bought into the oversize Drivers almost immediately as they came out, and now use fairway woods that are still the same loft as my old fairways. In my hands they do pretty much the same things but survive my mistakes better. I am also more inclined to swing harder at the ball these days because I have less fear of destroying my clubs on a mishit.

I must admit error in the Hybrids. I resisted them and choked down my FW's to do many things too difficult for my irons but also for the full length FW's. The fact is, there are many instances where they are interchangeable but also a surprisingly large number of instances where the Hybrid is clearly superior. I retired my 3 and 4 irons in favor of Hybrids regardless that I still carry the 4 and 5 FW's.

New technology, to me, works and truly helps us play better but there is also a lot of garbage out there that isn't worth their cost. Regardless, if that thing, new or old, works for you, pay the price and own it.

Every club has some benefits and some limitations. It's a matter of finding the clubs that suit you hand and eye and learning those clubs. When you find out how much you can do with each club in your bag, you also find out the weaknesses of your game and begin the search to fill in the holes.

Shambles

• 1 month later...

There is a saying in the military... Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness).

With that said, I like trying different equipment. For me it's the hobby side of the sport. I don't think it usually improves my game in a measurable way. In fact, often times the churn in my bag ends up hurting my ability to score. ;)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

There is a saying in the military... Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness).

With that said, I like trying different equipment. For me it's the hobby side of the sport. I don't think it usually improves my game in a measurable way. In fact, often times the churn in my bag ends up hurting my ability to score. ;)

Agreed. Checking out new equipment is the most fun you can have with your clothes on while not on the course. Buying is another matter...

For me it's about balancing want vs. need. I WANT a new set of irons. I NEED to put a new roof on the house...

On the plus side, info learned here has helped me convince my wife that my WANT is also a NEED. She's a good woman...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Agreed. Checking out new equipment is the most fun you can have with your clothes on while not on the course. Buying is another matter...

For me it's about balancing want vs. need. I WANT a new set of irons. I NEED to put a new roof on the house...

On the plus side, info learned here has helped me convince my wife that my WANT is also a NEED. She's a good woman...

Case in point.. took my newly acquired i15 Ping irons out for a spin today for the first time. It's been a while since I've had that much offset in my irons. As a result, I hooked more than a few shots and it cost me. But, overall, the added forgiveness helped. I also stuck a 5 iron to about 3 feet on a flushed shot from the first cut of rough. It's been a while since I've done that.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

how many wars are won by the sides with better technology and how many are won by sheer tactics itself? as technology progresses further and further, there is only so much that a tactician can outwit outplay an opponent that is marginally inferior in skill but has substantial technological advantages. that being said, golf aint war and until we get putters from happy gilmore that can direct the ball into the hole "software" is still more impt than hardware.

yesterday i was at the range and i saw a guy with a spanking new i20 9.5 loft with PX black 6.0 shaft with a 80mph SS at best if he spent his 400 bucks on 8 lessons i thk he cld probably hit his old driver a lot further and gain more than 17yards.

I belive the only significant improvements in technology that benefits us as golfers right now is the ability to look at our stats with a lot better precision with launch monitors/ radars and adjustable clubs.

the feedback and adjustability allows us to tune out clubs in a lot easier and faster than before and saves you a couple hundred bucks even if ur swing changes becus its easy to swap out shafts, change heads and move weights

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I know a lot of scratch or better golfers and some single digit handicappers that just don't club ho that much once they get a bag set that works for them and is fitted. All they might do is try different shafts to fine tune the equipment that they currently have. Some of them will send the clubs off to have them re-grooved to conform to today's standards on irons instead of buying a completely new set.

For the 'player' it is more about getting to know your tools of the trade and only replacing it when you absolutely have to. Tour players are notoriously reluctant to play new equipment without a good reason. Some players will instantly like the new characteristics of the newest model and others will not, you will see a lot of irons on tour that are stamped 'prototype' because they are custom built to that player and their needs.

Removing the gimmicks like longer shafts and stronger lofts you are left with approximately the same sort of technology tweaked very little to get specific characteristics from equipment in given areas. A longer shaft only increases distance if you hit it on the sweet spot regularly. People get better results ON AVERAGE by shorter shafts and finding the center of the face more, basically in short equipment that fits them.

Driver - I think at this point a lot of Drivers have Max COR or close to it. Really the changes will be in head shape, lowering spin numbers, aerodynamics to squeeze an extra MPH or two and fancy paint jobs. I still review the newest and latest equipment for club ho's however doesn't mean I will buy stuff. But really I don't look at buying anything new unless it is about 3 seasons then I review the new against what I currently have.

Fairway woods / hybrids - I think the newest technology is going into this area currently and eventually they will run into a maximum and efferent in creating distance. If you are looking to get more distance from these clubs this is the era for you. For me I want accuracy and control over these clubs so I don't have anything new at all, don't plan to replace my stuff with something newer either anytime soon.

Irons - the trend is strong lofts lately, 44*, 45* PW starting to be more common. In players clubs they are making the PW 46* rather then the standard 47*. Modern Blades have become a lot easier to hit for players and players cavity has gotten well received by a lot of players that feel they still need a little forgiveness mentally compared to a blade. The most 'technology' that is going into clubs is in the Game Improvement irons and Super GI irons. Max COR and strong as heck lofts, I play a set of blades, they don't get replaced until the faces are worn out of them which takes 3-5 years of solid play.

Wedges - replaces as the grooves wear out and I am no longer getting the spin characteristics I am looking for. tour pros replaced wedges sometimes weekly others every other week, but on tour a wedge never really lasts longer then a month. For me I tend to replace wedges 6 months to a year, just depends on the amount of golf I play and how durable the wedges I have are.

Putters - I have only owned 2 putters since 2007 i think, a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Carbon putter, and now my YES! Callie-F putter. It is more about getting a putter fit for your stroke and the correct length and practice then putter ho's buying a new one every few rounds it seems like. I don't play the space ships that look like they are as big as my driver, I am a blade putter learned that way and wont change it any time soon.

So in the end I think it is more valuable to be fitted in the equipment you currently have (possibly new shafts and lie angle adjustments) then spend the left over cash on training with the tools you have. You can always go back and re adjust lie angles and shafts in the heads as you increase ability.

The only time that I would look into switching a Driver, fairway wood, hybrid, irons, wedges putters is one of two basic reasons

1) the club has worn out and no longer has the playing characteristics that a new club would.

2) something drastic has changed in my game where I need different qualities in equipment.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Obviously, I am on the side that you really don't need new equipment unless it no longer functions properly and can't be fixed by a simple shaft change, re-grip, lie angle adjustment, etc.

I think that OEMs target people to buy new stuff because the consumer is looking for 'quick fixes' rather then a long term solution. It takes ignoring the Marketing ploys for technology and false promises and really asking yourself what is best for you and your game. Think I have said that in a lot of places around here.

I did a lot of toying around with equipment before finding what works for me. Once you find it then you hold on to it for longer periods of time.

Heck I am guilty of being a club hoe. Currently I feel like a Play it again sports in my house :) I need get rid of some stuff

--> Cobra S9-1 Pro D 8.5* (2* open face)(I couldn't get it off the ground) Stiff Shaft

--> TaylorMade Tour Burner 8.5* Stiff Shaft

--> Adams 9032LS 9.5* w/ Zeus LT XS (not for sale unless given the right price)

--> Adams Speedline 9032Ti 14.5* 3wood w/ a SST PURE shaft stiff in it (it is a SST PURE but the process is different it was done on an axis closer to a swing plane rather then flat)

--> Titleist AP2 3-P (2008 Model) w/ DG s300 spine aligned (they are the shafts that got pulled from my W/S FG62s)

--> Titleist Vokey 248, 252, SM56, SM60 all non-confirming wedges with Spine aligned DG x100s in them

--> Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (Carbon refinished Gun Blue) (not for sale it would be hard to give me a price on this one)

--> Within the last 6 months I got rid of a 4th Driver an Adams 9032LS 9.5* and a 16* TM TP Dual Rescue Hybrid that had two 8g weights in it set to neutral.

I think everyone has clubs lying around that they have tried and didn't work out that well for them. Some people bought something new because of a new technology or marketing, whatever the reason it is a bad trend to get into.

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

wow jmiller i thought i had a lot of stuff. atm i have 3 drivers in the house, an extra 4 wood, 2 extra wedges, 4 putters that i tried before landing my current gamer. thank god i sold 2 sets of irons from before. at least now i can tell the gf that im not over the top with my golf purchases.

i agree that i will not think about upgrading or changing until my equipment fails .my current setup is gonna stay for a bit.

im getting the ball flight i want and its working well.when i test it against new clubs i dont see that much of a gain. if anything i am not liking the trend towards longer shafts that much. i dont want to spray it all over and hit it 20 yards further into the rough.

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I only listed what I have to make the point that it is better to research a ton, test hit a lot of things and get fitted before buying new equipment. You don't want to end up like me and be a personal play it again sports where I have an entire set of old equipment for guests to play if they want :)

I also recommend that if you are buying new equipment and going to lessons / practicing / playing on a regular basis and are a high handicap. The you lean towards something to you will grow into. Really it comes down to why your are the handicap you are I think for majority of people it can be grouped into 4 main categories or a combination of them to why they have a handicap.

--> some kind of technique swing flaw so to speak (high maintenance swing hard to replicate, cast, bad takeaway, etc.) Typical swing lessons can isolate issues.

--> putting is an issue, too many 3 putts or missed short putts like 3-5 footers

--> short game is a problem in that technique (scooping, chilli dipping, touch) is an issue

--> course management / mental collapse (bad club selection, negative thoughts, poor visualization, etc)

It is sometimes better to buy equipment with the intention of improvement so that you won't have the want to buy something new as you 'grow out' of the current equipment.

It is sometimes better to buy equipment with the intention of improvement so that you won't have the want to buy something new as you 'grow out' of the current equipment.

100% agree with this. With the price of clubs, you need to set a goal and buy the clubs would fit you when you reach that goal. It's also a huge motivator to reach that goal. That said, if you have a set of SGI clubs and can't hit them, learn to get decent with them before you go out and buy new sticks.

For me the new technology isn't the driving force.

I just did a fitting at Fujikura - it's been about a year since I was fit for my current bag.

It was shocking to see how different my swing is and what needed to change in my bag to fit my current swing.

The results were not "technology" biased - instead the "need" for new gear came from my swing changing quite a bit in a year.

I have a feeling we could probably buy/sell gear each year and make careful purchases and not be out a ton of money after your initial investment.

For me the new technology isn't the driving force.

I just did a fitting at Fujikura - it's been about a year since I was fit for my current bag.

It was shocking to see how different my swing is and what needed to change in my bag to fit my current swing.

The results were not "technology" biased - instead the "need" for new gear came from my swing changing quite a bit in a year.

I have a feeling we could probably buy/sell gear each year and make careful purchases and not be out a ton of money after your initial investment.

I just wrote a huge thing on fittings in a different topic but yea getting checked and re-fitted once a year for current equipment is best way to go I agree completely. What is the buying factor should not be either 'marketing' / 'technology' it should be a 'need' to maximize performance for your game.

Yeah, when the 2012 "longer" driver than the 2011 model has four paragraphs of technobabble and you have to go to the specs to see that by incredible coincidence, the 2012 driver is a half-inch longer, you get a little jaded about the hype. My program is simple; I take my clubs to the local demo days, and based upon MGS and a clubfitter I respect recommendations, I hit the new stuff I have identified versus my stuff. If I find something that I really notice (allowing for some performance issues with stock shafts) I am off to the LM and fitter for a real comparison. My driver is now 2 yrs old, irons 4 yrs old, and wedges 2,6, and 6 respectively. As long as I am putting well, I don't even think about it.

I have to laugh when I see some fool who is perhaps on his third time hitting balls (this year in the Northeast is an anomaly) trying out every club in sight, and whose swing has deteriorated noticeably around swing number 50 announce that the second driver he hit is the greatest thing since sliced bread and runs in to place his order.

My other favorite is the dude who will hit Driver A a given distance but a reasonable dispersion on 10 shots, but when Driver B hits ONE drive past the 250 marker, regardless of the fact that the other nine may never be seen again, wants to buy it on the spot.

• SPY VIP

My other favorite is the dude who will hit Driver A a given distance but a reasonable dispersion on 10 shots, but when Driver B hits ONE drive past the 250 marker, regardless of the fact that the other nine may never be seen again, wants to buy it on the spot.

This is exactly why we dumped perceived distance and perceived accuracy from our reviews. It doesn't matter whether your hitting on a launch monitor, hitting to an open field, or playing golf. We all have a a natural tendency to remember our best shots. As you suggest...for many, many golfers, a driver that produces one shot that goes 265 is viewed as significantly better than one that produces 10 balls in the fairway at 255.

10 more yards! The direction is irrelevant.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

This is exactly why we dumped perceived distance and perceived accuracy from our reviews. It doesn't matter whether your hitting on a launch monitor, hitting to an open field, or playing golf. We all have a a natural tendency to remember our best shots. As you suggest...for many, many golfers, a driver that produces one shot that goes 265 is viewed as significantly better than one that produces 10 balls in the fairway at 255.

10 more yards! The direction is irrelevant.

Golf does one thing really well and I love the game for that reason and it is partially why some people still do business deals on the golf course. You will find out someone's true personality faster on 18 holes of golf then you will in one month of negotiations. People will show you their weakness as a person on the golf course if you let them.

I sorta disagree with you partially. I play with older blades but I do put in new shafts and check my lofts and lies. example I have a set of Macgregor MT customs circa 1966 with new Project x shafts. My regular gamers are 69 Macgregor Colorkrom blades with new TT S-300 shafts. i have my own loft and lie machine so i check my specs on a regular basis. I can usually tell if one of my irons are off. I guess i am still old school though i do carry a 7 wood and 3 wedges but still carry and hit a 3 iron. I think Wil par and i learned the game the same way and the same time frame. I say use what ever works for you

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived