Will Par

Do We Really Benefit from New Clubs and Technology?

Our Sponsors

For me the new technology isn't the driving force.

I just did a fitting at Fujikura - it's been about a year since I was fit for my current bag.

It was shocking to see how different my swing is and what needed to change in my bag to fit my current swing.

The results were not "technology" biased - instead the "need" for new gear came from my swing changing quite a bit in a year.

I have a feeling we could probably buy/sell gear each year and make careful purchases and not be out a ton of money after your initial investment.

I just wrote a huge thing on fittings in a different topic but yea getting checked and re-fitted once a year for current equipment is best way to go I agree completely. What is the buying factor should not be either 'marketing' / 'technology' it should be a 'need' to maximize performance for your game.

KZG VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" (2" Bore Depth) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 Stiff

Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")

Srixon Z U45 19.0* @ 39.75" w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 MB 3-P @ 38.75" - 35.25" (0.25" under), 60.5* - 64.0* (0.5* upright), 22* - 48* (1* weak) w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 54-12 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 60-10 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Lamkin UTX Wrap, Including Grip Core: 1/32 over (top hand), 1/16 over (bottom hand)

Srixon Z-Star

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Yeah, when the 2012 "longer" driver than the 2011 model has four paragraphs of technobabble and you have to go to the specs to see that by incredible coincidence, the 2012 driver is a half-inch longer, you get a little jaded about the hype. My program is simple; I take my clubs to the local demo days, and based upon MGS and a clubfitter I respect recommendations, I hit the new stuff I have identified versus my stuff. If I find something that I really notice (allowing for some performance issues with stock shafts) I am off to the LM and fitter for a real comparison. My driver is now 2 yrs old, irons 4 yrs old, and wedges 2,6, and 6 respectively. As long as I am putting well, I don't even think about it.

I have to laugh when I see some fool who is perhaps on his third time hitting balls (this year in the Northeast is an anomaly) trying out every club in sight, and whose swing has deteriorated noticeably around swing number 50 announce that the second driver he hit is the greatest thing since sliced bread and runs in to place his order.

My other favorite is the dude who will hit Driver A a given distance but a reasonable dispersion on 10 shots, but when Driver B hits ONE drive past the 250 marker, regardless of the fact that the other nine may never be seen again, wants to buy it on the spot.

My other favorite is the dude who will hit Driver A a given distance but a reasonable dispersion on 10 shots, but when Driver B hits ONE drive past the 250 marker, regardless of the fact that the other nine may never be seen again, wants to buy it on the spot.

This is exactly why we dumped perceived distance and perceived accuracy from our reviews. It doesn't matter whether your hitting on a launch monitor, hitting to an open field, or playing golf. We all have a a natural tendency to remember our best shots. As you suggest...for many, many golfers, a driver that produces one shot that goes 265 is viewed as significantly better than one that produces 10 balls in the fairway at 255.

10 more yards! The direction is irrelevant.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

This is exactly why we dumped perceived distance and perceived accuracy from our reviews. It doesn't matter whether your hitting on a launch monitor, hitting to an open field, or playing golf. We all have a a natural tendency to remember our best shots. As you suggest...for many, many golfers, a driver that produces one shot that goes 265 is viewed as significantly better than one that produces 10 balls in the fairway at 255.

10 more yards! The direction is irrelevant.

Golf does one thing really well and I love the game for that reason and it is partially why some people still do business deals on the golf course. You will find out someone's true personality faster on 18 holes of golf then you will in one month of negotiations. People will show you their weakness as a person on the golf course if you let them.

KZG VC-420 ML (10.5* Loft & 0.2* Open Face Angle) @ 44.50" (2" Bore Depth) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 Stiff

Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 16.5* @ 42.50" w/ RT Technologies Zeus (85g) Stiff (Tipped 1/2")

Srixon Z U45 19.0* @ 39.75" w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 MB 3-P @ 38.75" - 35.25" (0.25" under), 60.5* - 64.0* (0.5* upright), 22* - 48* (1* weak) w/ KBS Tour-V X-Stiff (Soft Stepped 1x)

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 54-12 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin (Blade) 60-10 @ 35.25", 64.00* w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold s400

Lamkin UTX Wrap, Including Grip Core: 1/32 over (top hand), 1/16 over (bottom hand)

Srixon Z-Star

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

You are talking about options. Let's say that you have decided that you want a new driver. You have looked at all the manufacturers and different choices from them and have decided on a Make and Model. You are not done with choices. This was taken from the Titleist Custom Options site. You have four different lofts, 23 different shafts from 6 different manufacturers, and 53 different grips. That is 4,876 different combinations. After you have decided to get the TM R11s or Callaway RazrHawk or Adams Speedline.

My opinon is that if you are playing with 10 year old equipment or older you need new stuff. If you are like my equipment and it is basically 2 or 3 year old clubs, spend the money on lessons or a golf trip or if you must spend it on the wife and kids. I do not think that the technology varies enough to justify changing every year but maybe every 5 years. Nick Faldo said that he played with the same irons for 21 years.

I sorta disagree with you partially. I play with older blades but I do put in new shafts and check my lofts and lies. example I have a set of Macgregor MT customs circa 1966 with new Project x shafts. My regular gamers are 69 Macgregor Colorkrom blades with new TT S-300 shafts. i have my own loft and lie machine so i check my specs on a regular basis. I can usually tell if one of my irons are off. I guess i am still old school though i do carry a 7 wood and 3 wedges but still carry and hit a 3 iron. I think Wil par and i learned the game the same way and the same time frame. I say use what ever works for you

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck