Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Saternus Woodworking

Matt Saternus

Caveat: all these answers are "In my experience." I am not Norm Abrams, and I don't pretend to be. I am just a humble man with a garage full of tools and a love for the craft.

No need for the humility man, you've got some very good stuff here. Be proud. :D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need for the humility man, you've got some very good stuff here. Be proud. :)

Thank you. I am very proud of everything that leaves my shop, and I stand behind what I do 100%. It's more that I've seen what true masters can do with wood, and I'm so far from their level that it's frightening. Same thing with the term "craftsman." I'm not really comfortable when people call me a craftsman, because that's a term that I use to describe someone like Byron Morgan who has been doing something at an extremely high level for a long time and has really perfected his craft. If people feel that way about my work, I'm very grateful, it's just never something I would say about myself.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 4 weeks later...

I love it when someone has the opportunity to really dive into a craft that they excel at. Your work is beautiful and I wish nothing but incredible success for you.

Also, your posting of that "How To-" article was as class as it comes. Keep up the awesome work and I hope to someday have a need for one of your racks......or maybe several, LOL.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this thread with my newest creation. I refer to this as a "vertical wall rack." This one holds 7 putters and 8 headcovers, I just didn't put all the dowels in for the pictures.

Any guesses which state it's headed to?

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2260.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2262.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Considering that I never would have thought I'd be in this business a year ago, I think the first few months of Saternus Woodworking have been great. I want to thank everyone who has supported me in the early days of this endeavor, especially Colt & MGS for allowing me to publicize my work.

As I look forward with hopes of expanding the business, I want to ask you: what can Saternus Woodworking do for you? What would you like to see from Saternus Woodworking?

-More brand-specific racks?

-Different models/styles of racks?

-Different/more customization options?

This question is open to everyone, and feel free to be constructively critical. So far the feedback I've received has been very positive, which is truly gratifying, but if there's something I can improve I want to know it.

Thanks!

-Matt

Yes, metal racks would sure bring you up into a new niche for putter racks!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd go ahead and update this thread with some of the new items that have come out of the shop lately.

6 putter floor rack in oak with a java stain

IMG_2320.JPG

10 putter floor rack in cherry with a natural oil finish

IMG_2314.JPG

10 putter, 11 headcover wall rack (dowels not shown) with header made by Dave Billings of Machine.

IMG_2298.JPG

Why don't you make me a nice wood MGS bag tag. Oak with the java stain please.

Let's see that skill with the router :)

Haha, the router is probably my least favorite tool. It stays in the router table to route edges and that's about it. As I said, Dave Billings was the one who made that Machine header; a rig to do things like that would require a new garage and about $3K.

• SPY VIP

Haha, the router is probably my least favorite tool. It stays in the router table to route edges and that's about it. As I said, Dave Billings was the one who made that Machine header; a rig to do things like that would require a new garage and about $3K.

So get to it. Dremmel is only about $50 :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

That Byron Morgan rack in the picture of the three with the longboards as a backboard is just awesome. I love that design the best by a lot. You do some amazing work.

Thank you very much. The surfboard rack definitely creates the most chatter and it's one of my favorites. I do have an agreement in place with Byron to build racks with Byron logos, if anyone is interested.

• 1 month later...

Here's a brand new style of rack that I just completed for myself. The #1 thing that I like about it is the myriad of ways it can be configured: putters on one side, HCs on the other, longer/shorter HC shelves, more/less HC shelves, more/less putters. Very customizable. This particular piece is built out of cherry with a cherry gel stain finish.

IMG_3047.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3050.JPG

• 3 months later...

To celebrate the holidays, I am going to offer 10% off everything from Saternus Woodworking from now through the end of 2010. All the normal customization is included, and I will extend the 10% off to brand new designs as well. Please PM me or email SaternusWoodworking@gmail.com for more info or to place an order.

A few quick prices (all prices based on oak racks), for reference:

Headcover Racks

24 HC rack - $170 Sale price: $163

36 HC rack - $190 Sale price: $171

48 HC rack - $210 Sale price: $189

Vertical Wall Racks

10 putter & 9 HC rack - $200 Sale price: $180

15 putter & 14 HC rack - $220 Sale price: $198

20 putter & 19 HC rack - $240 Sale price: $216

Floor Racks

5 putter rack - $200 Sale price: $180

10 putter rack - $215 Sale price: $193

15 putter rack - $230 Sale price: $207

20 putter rack - $245 Sale price: $220

Nice Rack - Keep up the good work.

http://www.putterlounge.com - Website
sales@putterlounge.com

What is in my bag
Putter(s)
Carbon Ringo - 1/4 Long Neck

Irons
Titleist 660 Forged - Matte Black Oxide
KBS Tour X
IOMIC STICKY 2.3 Red / Black

Mizuno MP-32 Asian Model - Satin Chrome
KBS Tour X
IOMIC X-EVOLUTION Navy / Sky Blue

Wedges
Vokey SM5 58 / 54 /50 - Obsidian Finish

Woods
RBZ Tour 3 Wood
Aldila RIP Gamma 

TaylorMade SLDR
Accra Tour Z M4 70 Gram

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just completed this rack this morning for a member here. It's 100% genuine mahogany and the wood is unbelievably beautiful - it has this very soft appearance that is totally unique. This is one of those times when I'm truly bummed that I don't have better photography skills. The finish is a many-layered concoction that has been very popular. This is also the biggest rack I've ever built - 30 putters! - and it's going to be holding an unreal putter collection. I hope we will all get to see some pics when it's fully loaded.

Rack 047 (1).JPG

Rack 047 (2).JPG

Rack 047 (3).JPG

Rack 047 (4).JPG

Rack 047 (5).JPG

This is also the biggest rack I've ever built - 30 putters!

That's siiick!!! And I'm envious! :D

Gratz on the beautiful rack!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 1 month later...

Archived