TESTERS WANTED! ×

Saternus Woodworking

Matt Saternus

Very first thing: Mods, if this crosses the line of "only sponsors can do this," please let me know or just delete this. I discussed this with MyGolfSpy earlier, and I think this is ok, but absolutely no hard feelings if I'm wrong and this needs to be removed.

Hello everyone else! My name is Matt Saternus and I've started this thread to introduce my business, Saternus Woodworking, and to show off some of my work. I build custom putter & HC racks (and occasionally other things, I'm flexible). For me, "custom" includes choice of: species of wood, finish/stain, shaping of the sides/header, engraved plates, size, and configuration. If you're interested in a custom piece, please shoot me a PM.

Also, I recently worked out an agreement with Byron Morgan to be the EXCLUSIVE distributor of Byron Morgan putter & HC racks. I can offer racks with engraved plates depicting any Byron Morgan logos and graphics, like you will see in some of the pictures (all the racks depicted here are currently in Byron's Huntington Beach shop).

With each picture, I'll tell you a bit about the rack so that you can get an idea about different customization options.

This first picture is the rack that I built for my own office. It's cherry wood with General Finishing water-based cherry stain, and it holds 6 putters and 16 HCs.

rsz_img_1684.jpg

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow... I'm impressed... I personally don't collect putters, but that is a pretty impressive resume... hope the business goes well...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

These three were also built for Byron Morgan. They are all 10 putter floor racks. They are all finished with natural oil and shellac. From left to right, they are made out of: oak, maple, and cypress. The rack on the right has sides that are shaped like longboards, which you can't see too well in the picture.

rsz_img_2010.jpg

This is my latest project, a 10 putter rack in oak with an American Oak finish. 2 unique features: the customer requested a solid backboard with a sheet of plexiglass on top (not pictured) that he's going to use as a picture frame and he also requested that the header on the rack be made to look like his roll top desk.

rsz_img_2099.jpg

• SPY VIP

These are great Matt. If the new twisty can't find the cup, I may need your services for hangin it on the wall.

Anyone ordering a rack for 20 betti's is my hero.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

These are great Matt. If the new twisty can't find the cup, I may need your services for hangin it on the wall.

Anyone ordering a rack for 20 betti's is my hero.

I'd have to muster all of my skills to build a rack worthy of that beauty!

With you 100% on the Betti rack, but I'm not sure that the rack even holds all of Randy's Bettis! His collection is absolutely ridiculous.

I was wondering when this thread was going to surface. Great work Matt. I can tell you, if I'm lucky enough to win a couple of putters in the contest, then I'm going to need a rack. But, one step at a time. Still a long month ahead... :lol:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

These last two are both 20 putter floor racks made out of cherry with my secret double cherry finish. As you might guess, the second one was built with a great deal of input from a great Bettinardi collector.

My Bettinardi knowledge must be REALLY lacking - what's the design element in the second rack that is reminiscent of Bob's work? I was looking for the honeycomb but I don't think that's it.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

My Bettinardi knowledge must be REALLY lacking - what's the design element in the second rack that is reminiscent of Bob's work? I was looking for the honeycomb but I don't think that's it.

The hexagon is a Bettinardi staple, and you can see the half-hexes on the header. I also used half-hexes on the sides of the rack, which you can't really see in the pics. It was a bit of a fine line, because I wanted to build what the customer wanted, but I'm not licensed to use Bettinardi imagery, so that was a bit of a compromise.

• SPY VIP

Honeycomb is dead right. But just a single cell of the comb makes a hexagon. Plus he puts the B inside on the headcovers, and belt buckles, and towels, and...

His association with the cool aide man is the one I question.

Volvo Intorqueo

The hexagon is a Bettinardi staple, and you can see the half-hexes on the header. I also used half-hexes on the sides of the rack, which you can't really see in the pics. It was a bit of a fine line, because I wanted to build what the customer wanted, but I'm not licensed to use Bettinardi imagery, so that was a bit of a compromise.

No, that makes perfect sense. Sorry, it was like I was looking at one of those ink blot images and I couldn't see what the shrink thought I should see. Maybe its just getting a little late in the day...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Very nice work!

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Very nice work!

I love the oak one, very nice wood grain!

Nice work....like I said in another thread, Nice rack! :rolleyes:

Thanks guys. Yeah, the oak backboard in post #6 photographed super well. Some people don't like oak because it's "too common" or something, but I think it's great, especially if you like a bolder grain pattern.

Some people don't like oak because it's "too common" or something, but I think it's great, especially if you like a bolder grain pattern.

Common does not always equal bad, in this case common = great!

• SPY VIP

Nice Matt. The richness of the cherry is excellent. Do you find the different woods require different levels of care and technique because of hardness and susceptibility to marks and scratching during the process? Do the choices in wood also limit the range of staining options?

Who did the engraving for the Byron racks? Was it Kevin at putter plating?

Volvo Intorqueo

Nice Matt. The richness of the cherry is excellent. Do you find the different woods require different levels of care and technique because of hardness and susceptibility to marks and scratching during the process? Do the choices in wood also limit the range of staining options?

Who did the engraving for the Byron racks? Was it Kevin at putter plating?

Excellent questions, it seems as if you've seen a few New Yankee Workshops in your day. Before I answer, thank you for the compliment on the cherry. I am, humbly, very pleased with that combination that I cooked up. In person, it really is a very "deep" finish.

Caveat: all these answers are "In my experience." I am not Norm Abrams, and I don't pretend to be. I am just a humble man with a garage full of tools and a love for the craft.

Different woods do pose different problems. Oak tends to get "chippy," so I tend to be very careful about that. Also, if you use water-based finishes on oak, it raises the grain and creates another step in the finishing process. Cherry is much better in both regards, as is maple. Generally, I take enough precautions and use enough "best practice" techniques that I don't have too many problems regardless of species.

In terms of finishing, there is no limit on staining options by species, it just comes down to taste. Most people wouldn't pay for cherry and then stain it a heavy brown. If you want to color the wood heavily, oak is your best option because of cost. No sense (IMO) in paying for the beautiful pinks, oranges, browns and reds of a cherry, or the browns of a walnut, and then covering them up. Oak is more of a blank canvas.

The engraved plates are all done by a local place here in the suburbs. They're slower than Christmas at taking an order, but they always get it right and they do really great work.

Very nice looking craftsmanship. What do they sell for?

I believe that listing prices crosses the "sponsor vs. non-sponsor" line. If I'm mistaken, I will add it. Regardless, I will send a PM momentarily.

Alright folks, here is the much-anticipated "Behind the garage door at Saternus Woodworking"

First is just an overview of the lay out. If you want to really feel like you're there, take your laptop and look at these pictures in your garage.

DS-400x400.jpg

This is a wall of storage. On the black shelving you see my jointer, oak and cherry scraps, lots of templates, spare parts, and hardware. The cabinet with colored doors (repurposed Ikea furniture) holds all of my finishing supplies: sandpaper, steel wool, brushes, cans of stain & polyurethane, gloves, etc. The wooden shelves that I built hold my drill press, spindle sander, belt sander, palm sander, jigsaw, biscuit joiner, and the case for my router. You can also see a whole bunch of clamps (you never have too many clamps) and some leftover plywood.

IMG_1727-400x400.jpg

IMG_1728-400x400.jpg

IMG_1729-400x400.jpg

Last 3 pics:

My Delta tablesaw, which is an absolute workhorse. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Tuned up to 2/1000th of an inch. You can also see the adjustable worktable where I do the bulk of my cutting, assembly, finishing, and everything else. This table was given to my grandpa by the men he managed at his barrel factory when he retired.

My Bosch router table on top of a shop-made cabinet that houses all the router & table saw accessories. That cabinet got built in an afternoon and gets used as much as anything; an afternoon well spent.

The white and green workbench was built by my grandpa (same one), weighs literally 400 or 500 pounds, and will outlast me by a lot. It basically serves as the command center for the shop - holds the plans and tools that aren't in use. I'm also very proud of the peg board. As my dad says, "There are peg boards and there are peg boards." This, I believe, is the latter, and as such is a tribute to my other grandpa who had a peg board in his basement that I loved looking at - full of great tools, super organized.

That's all folks, hope you enjoyed it, now get out! :D

IMG_1732-400x400.jpg

IMG_1730-400x400.jpg

IMG_1731-400x400.jpg

Very clean workspace and the Byron surfboard template on the table saw is a nice touch.

Thanks for sharing.

I won't lie, these pictures were snapped between projects and I cleaned extra hard because I planned on taking pics. I do try to clean after every completed build. If I didn't, I'd be swimming in saw dust and misplaced tools.

That template was a huge printout that I made when I was building prototypes, trying to convince Dave that I was for real. That feels like it was a long time ago.

Archived