Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Transitioning from beginner clubs

SteveD

Hi All,

So I’ve been playing since 2020, and am falling In love with the sport!  I’m probably a 30 HCP, and am seriously considering going a country club. So I have been using Top Flite clubs :

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjVrMSx__n5AhUbKbMAHdgyBCgYABALGgJ5bQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASJeRo7fm8b872J6oNXyAB4ceoIbnTSldekY0GNFq3NcZ9eeGZUdE&sig=AOD64_2tkRf7Apgrc1EPXXTrxuR0rTCqJw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiRpLex__n5AhXjF1kFHUI4Db4Qwg8oAHoECAQQCg&adurl=

My buddy, who is a long time country club guy, is saying I probably need to upgrade clubs or at least my bag as folks will roll their eyes if they see me with beginner clubs. Apparently beginner clubs are more forgiving but I don’t hit the ball as far by using them. Curious as to how one would know if/when they have graduated from beginners?

Any advice on what I should get or look for-bands, key words-I’d be obliged.  I know zero about clubs.  I’ve also heard eBay/Facebook marketplace/country clubs them selves are good places to look.  Logic being is the season will be over soon here in PA, and clubs have members that sell them to the CC as the Members buy a new set every year.

Edited by SteveD

I'll be honest if the country club member would roll their eyes at me because I was a beginner I'd be pretty disappointed and consider maybe somewhere else. We were all beginners at one point and it matter more that you are trying to improve and enjoying to game!

However that isn't your question. Used may be your best value for money. Callaway Preowned I know is used by many. It will really come down to your budget. As for new clubs there are brands such as Sub70, New Level, Haywood and others that are direct to consumer which are cheaper but still great clubs. 

As for the distance portion of your question, beginner clubs are more forgiving and often provide more distance (obviously depending on the model) Beginner clubs for lower handicaps often go too far. 
I'll link in Super Game Improvement Irons Most Wanted Testing for here: https://mygolfspy.com/2022-most-wanted-super-game-improvement-iron/
As well as Game Improvement Most Wanted: https://mygolfspy.com/2022-most-wanted-game-improvement-iron/

This can help give you some ideas of irons to look at (you can always check out the most wanted section to see other clubs as well). 

Given your statement of less knowledge first I'm glad you came here! We should hopefully be able to help guide you on your journey, but also depending on your timing take your time and do some research. If possible even though you are a higher handicap a fitting may be able to help even if just from some basic loft/lie numbers. 

There a lot of clubs out there so it could be daunting, but facebook isn't a bad place to look and best of luck with your journey! Last suggestion if you were to pick areas to upgrade I would go irons/driver first and maybe a hybrid if you can. After look at fairways/wedges/putters. Just my own person suggestion and how I did mine when I was just starting. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Gotcha! Thanks for the answer! 

Yeah I think my boy saying ppl would look at my clubs was Partially a snob thing, but also partially a “ugh he’s a beginner look at those clubs we don’t wanna play with him” thing.

And is mixing and match a no-no? I.E. titleist bag, Calloway driver, mixed irons etc? Also, is having a different brand (and color) bag than what your clubs are a no-no?

I noticed You mentioned Facebook market place being ok, EBay would be too? And is my friend onto something when he says buy from a CC?

2 hours ago, SteveD said:

Gotcha! Thanks for the answer! 

Yeah I think my boy saying ppl would look at my clubs was Partially a snob thing, but also partially a “ugh he’s a beginner look at those clubs we don’t wanna play with him” thing.

And is mixing and match a no-no? I.E. titleist bag, Calloway driver, mixed irons etc? Also, is having a different brand (and color) bag than what your clubs are a no-no?

I noticed You mentioned Facebook market place being ok, EBay would be too? And is my friend onto something when he says buy from a CC?

eBay works as well. However there are counterfeit products there and sometimes it can be a bit daunting with the options. I would imagine you'll get better deals on Facebook or eBay then from a country club member. 

Use whatever and any brands you like for any club/bag. Be you're own brand! No need to tie yourself to one company. I have 5 brands in my bag and that doesn't include my bag or golf ball being different then those as well. It's rare one company will have all the clubs and everything to fit you perfectly. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

14 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I'll be honest if the country club member would roll their eyes at me because I was a beginner I'd be pretty disappointed and consider maybe somewhere else. We were all beginners at one point and it matter more that you are trying to improve and enjoying to game!

However that isn't your question. Used may be your best value for money. Callaway Preowned I know is used by many. It will really come down to your budget. As for new clubs there are brands such as Sub70, New Level, Haywood and others that are direct to consumer which are cheaper but still great clubs. 

As for the distance portion of your question, beginner clubs are more forgiving and often provide more distance (obviously depending on the model) Beginner clubs for lower handicaps often go too far. 
I'll link in Super Game Improvement Irons Most Wanted Testing for here: https://mygolfspy.com/2022-most-wanted-super-game-improvement-iron/
As well as Game Improvement Most Wanted: https://mygolfspy.com/2022-most-wanted-game-improvement-iron/

This can help give you some ideas of irons to look at (you can always check out the most wanted section to see other clubs as well). 

Given your statement of less knowledge first I'm glad you came here! We should hopefully be able to help guide you on your journey, but also depending on your timing take your time and do some research. If possible even though you are a higher handicap a fitting may be able to help even if just from some basic loft/lie numbers. 

There a lot of clubs out there so it could be daunting, but facebook isn't a bad place to look and best of luck with your journey! Last suggestion if you were to pick areas to upgrade I would go irons/driver first and maybe a hybrid if you can. After look at fairways/wedges/putters. Just my own person suggestion and how I did mine when I was just starting. 

53 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

eBay works as well. However there are counterfeit products there and sometimes it can be a bit daunting with the options. I would imagine you'll get better deals on Facebook or eBay then from a country club member. 

Use whatever and any brands you like for any club/bag. Be you're own brand! No need to tie yourself to one company. I have 5 brands in my bag and that doesn't include my bag or golf ball being different then those as well. It's rare one company will have all the clubs and everything to fit you perfectly. 

Thannkss!

Lastly, I believe the 3 club types if you will-beginner/intermediate/pro- if I’m an intermediate (I think) and  I plan on playing for a while (I’m 34) would there be a con in my just jumping up to pro clubs and skipping intermediate? Logic being eventually I’ll grow into it, so why spend the $ on a band ask? Curious as to what the cons would be?

16 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

As for new clubs there are brands such as Sub70, New Level, Haywood and others that are direct to consumer which are cheaper but still great clubs. 

Don't forget about Maltby/Golfworks 😉

I would agree 100% with @GolfSpy_APH. If someone will look down their nose at you because of the club you use, it may not make for very enjoyable rounds. 

I would recommend getting fitted or possibly even lessons over new clubs. If you hit your clubs well then I wouldn't switch them out. If you were to get lessons you may even be able to ask your teacher their opinion on the clubs you are using as they would see them in action.

Lastly, you have definitely come to the right place if you want to know more. My advice on this would be use search and read, there are so many knowledgeable people on this site that would be more than happy to help. I have learned so much from this site, glad to have you here!

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

Thannkss!

Lastly, I believe the 3 club types if you will-beginner/intermediate/pro- if I’m an intermediate (I think) and  I plan on playing for a while (I’m 34) would there be a con in my just jumping up to pro clubs and skipping intermediate? Logic being eventually I’ll grow into it, so why spend the $ on a band ask? Curious as to what the cons would be?

Clubs are marketed in various ways but the reality of it is, everyone will hit some clubs better than others. Your best bet would be to go try some out. 

Cons for purchasing clubs that are too advanced for your needs include wasting money, hitting terrible shots, hating the game of golf, etc etc etc. Clubs are designed to offer forgiveness, distance, and playability in different ways. There's no logic that says eventually you'll "grow into" higher end blades or muscle backs or whatever. Plenty of single digit cap golfers out there play game improvement or even super game improvement clubs because that's what works the best for them, and it's what they like. If you're a 30 HDCP, you're not an intermediate - you're still a "beginner" but even that's not a great way to look at things. 

Go out, find some different clubs to hit and see what fits your eye and gives you good performance. You never know, your Top Flite set might end up working out really well for you based on where your skills are right now. You'll offend whoever turned their nose up at your clubs, but who cares. Go play golf and have fun.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

6 hours ago, SteveD said:

... Mixing clubs is probably more desirable if performance is your goal. Bags, clubs, hardcovers are all irrelevant so just pick what YOU like and what works for you. As already mentioned getting fit is always a good idea. And as far as skipping "intermediate" clubs I look at it like learning to dive. There are low, intermediate and high spring boards. If you are still on the low springboard do you think it would be a good idea to go right to the high dive? You can always sell your intermediate clubs after a few years but maybe you will end up loving them. The main problem with starter sets is they usually have cheap shafts that don't fit your swing if you put in the practice and start getting better. 

... And just a FYI. Most good players I know enjoy playing with beginners IF they keep pace. I love beginners enthusiasm for the game and enjoy playing with them. But save your multiple practice swings for the range. Hit your shot, go get it and hit it again. If you play fast everyone will love playing with you regardless of your score. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Thanks all!

Last 2 questions:

A-I’m told your irons and at least one wedge needs to match the irons, I’m curious as to why that is and why my drivers/woods/hybrids can all be different from each other?

B-I’ll try some clubs in person, beyond Facebook market place, anyone have good suggestion on online places to look for used clubs?

3 minutes ago, SteveD said:

Thanks all!

Last 2 questions:

A-I’m told your irons and at least one wedge needs to match the irons, I’m curious as to why that is and why my drivers/woods/hybrids can all be different from each other?

You’ve been told wrong. That’s not a thing. At all. 

5 minutes ago, SteveD said:

I’m told your irons and at least one wedge needs to match the irons, I’m curious as to why that is and why my drivers/woods/hybrids can all be different from each other?

... Beginners and higher index players usually have a GW that matches their set because they are more forgiving than a MB stand alone wedge. But there are no hard and fast rules so it isn't necessary, they are just usually sold with the set. 

Thanks all!

Last 2 questions:

B-I’ll try some clubs in person, beyond Facebook market place, anyone have good suggestion on online places to look for used clubs?

2nd swing seems to be popular, and you can always go to a fitter and see what works for you

2 minutes ago, SteveD said:

Gotcha! Thanks for all the advice guys. 

Last few questions:

a-Any sites to look at for used clubs?

b-any brands to focus on or avoids?

2ndswing.com

Rockbottomgolf.com

Globalgolf.com

Callawaypreowned.com

Golf Galaxy.com

Sometimes play it again sports has good stuff for decent prices

PGA superstore

Dicks sporting goods

I'm sure there are plenty more, this is by no means an exhaustive list...

Head over to the CHA (Club Ho's Anonymous) section and I am sure you will get many more, it's kind of their thing🤣

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

3 hours ago, SteveD said:

I’m told your irons and at least one wedge needs to match the irons

I would suggest throwing out all preconceived notions about equipment, honestly go in with what works best for you and that you would have the most confidence in. No matter the brand or anything. With that attitude in mind, you'll find something that works for you. 

And don't ever hesitate to ask questions, this is a great community and most everyone would not hesitate to help you out.

17 minutes ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

I would suggest throwing out all preconceived notions about equipment, honestly go in with what works best for you and that you would have the most confidence in. No matter the brand or anything. With that attitude in mind, you'll find something that works for you. 

And don't ever hesitate to ask questions, this is a great community and most everyone would not hesitate to help you out.

Sure seems like that last  Paragraph is right! Thanks for all the Help!

9 hours ago, SteveD said:

Gotcha! Thanks for all the advice guys. 

Last few questions:

a-Any sites to look at for used clubs?

b-any brands to focus on or avoids?

Callaway Preowned should be your first stop. They always run different sales on their own clubs, and also have a pretty wide selection of other brands as well. If you buy from there, you know you're getting good gear and the condition is always better than they advertise. I've found their pricing to usually be better than 2nd Swing or Global Golf as a whole. 

On 9/5/2022 at 8:58 AM, russtopherb said:

Callaway Preowned should be your first stop. They always run different sales on their own clubs, and also have a pretty wide selection of other brands as well. If you buy from there, you know you're getting good gear and the condition is always better than they advertise. I've found their pricing to usually be better than 2nd Swing or Global Golf as a whole. 

Went to my local CC, got too swing a Callaway Rogue (not sure model/year) which per the pro is the Big Bertha’s big brother. Felt much lighter and went much further  that  my Top Flite driver. 

And the reason is swung it is because yesterday my Driver and today my 3W Both broke while swinging. Where the shaft and club actually meet.  The  pro claims I hit the ball all of the  place  on the club so that’s  partially to blame,  but also I bought my Top  Flite clubs (maybe used) in later 2020, so that might be to blame too.  

So I’m not sure I’m ready to buy that Callaway yet as I’m not sure if my swing is breaking my clubs, or the brand/age is the reason, So my thought is too be cheap ones now to get me through 2022. Then, after winter training, I’m hopefully good enough to buy “real” clubs next year.  I just don’t know what to look for specs wise, and I understand feel playa a big factor. But my driver says 4600cc and 10.5, I have no idea what that means, or how to interpret diff specs when evaluating clubs. Any help? Much obliged as when it comes to clubs, I know how to ID them, and what to use when, but. Nothing About about specs for any!

Edited by SteveD

17 hours ago, SteveD said:

Went to my local CC, got too swing a Callaway Rogue (not sure model/year) which per the pro is the Big Bertha’s big brother. Felt much lighter and went much further  that  my Top Flite driver. 

And the reason is swung it is because yesterday my Driver and today my 3W Both broke while swinging. Where the shaft and club actually meet.  The  pro claims I hit the ball all of the  place  on the club so that’s  partially to blame,  but also I bought my Top  Flite clubs (maybe used) in later 2020, so that might be to blame too.  

So I’m not sure I’m ready to buy that Callaway yet as I’m not sure if my swing is breaking my clubs, or the brand/age is the reason, So my thought is too be cheap ones now to get me through 2022. Then, after winter training, I’m hopefully good enough to buy “real” clubs next year.  I just don’t know what to look for specs wise, and I understand feel playa a big factor. But my driver says 4600cc and 10.5, I have no idea what that means, or how to interpret diff specs when evaluating clubs. Any help? Much obliged as when it comes to clubs, I know how to ID them, and what to use when, but. Nothing About about specs for any!

I would say if you are not sure about your specs then a fitting would definitely be a good idea.

You should be up front with the fitter that you are not ready to purchase today and from what I hear they usually respect that. They will be able to tell you what specs work for you I regards to length, loft and lie etc. And you can use the info to start your search.

Or if you do not want to go in for a fitting then the only other thing I could recommend would be looking at the ping fitting chart or try an online tool that you plug some measurements in and will tell you a length, loft and lie recommendation.

17 hours ago, SteveD said:

Can't answer why your shafts broke.  Not sure what you mean by "while swinging"   Was it at impact or actually during the swing?  Heel contact,  excessively fat shots, and clubs that are left in a hot car are some potential reasons for a shaft to break.   IMO,  the clubs themselves aren't a reason.  

no one on the forum can tell you what specs you will need for clubs.   People like to say feel is a big factor,  but I prefer to pick clubs based on performance.   460cc is the size of the driver head and that is pretty standard;  you will find a few 440cc for people that prefer a small driver head.  The 10.5 is the loft of the club which is one factor that controls how high the ball launches.    I'd suggest you read up on the different categories of clubs (players, players distance, game improvement, and super game improvement).  There are many quality brands of clubs;  some are the main OEM names you see all the time like Callaway, Titleist, Cleveland, and Taylormade and some are smaller more boutique brands like Maltby, Sub70, and New Level.   The main suggestion is that you should to to stores and hit clubs and see what works for you and helps you get the ball airborne.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thankss all for the advice! Brought a buddy of mine who’s knowledgeable and ended up with a Ping 425max + Ping G425 3W!

Just had 2 more questions for you, and let me know if I sound like a moron:

A- My average driver club head speed was 105 (hit 111 at least 1x). From what I’m told, I wanna stick with stiff shafts until I hit 111 consistently, then go with extra stiff?

B- like any other schmuck meat head who stumbled upon golf,  I’m infatuated with driving the ball great distances, and recognize at least some of why people can do that is due to speed. So I bought the superspeed training stuff. I also heard that there’s a certain loft number the long driver Pros use-4 or 5 degree lofts specifically. I was curious as to if anyone carried a lo mg-drive club in their bag and either used it occasionally. Or, brought it to the range and used that vs their regular driver with the idea that training with it would carry over to their normal (and more accurate) driver?  

10 minutes ago, SteveD said:

A- My average driver club head speed was 105 (hit 111 at least 1x). From what I’m told, I wanna stick with stiff shafts until I hit 111 consistently, then go with extra stiff?

B- like any other schmuck meat head who stumbled upon golf,  I’m infatuated with driving the ball great distances, and recognize at least some of why people can do that is due to speed. So I bought the superspeed training stuff. I also heard that there’s a certain loft number the long driver Pros use-4 or 5 degree lofts specifically. I was curious as to if anyone carried a lo mg-drive club in their bag and either used it occasionally. Or, brought it to the range and used that vs their regular driver with the idea that training with it would carry over to their normal (and more accurate) driver?  

A.  Shaft flex is very loosely related to swing speed and is more related to how you load and unload a shaft.   You could be a player with a sub 100 MPH swing speed and get optimal performance from an X Stiff shaft and be 110+ and do best with a regular.   I wouldn't worry about this.

B.  You are way overthinking this.  They use a variety of lofts as they try to optimize launch conditions and their AoA is 7+ degrees up with 11* of launch.  To do that you need low loft drivers.    People on here buy all kinds of clubs to play and experiment with so feel free to do that if you want;  my opinion is it would provide little value.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 minutes ago, SteveD said:

... Golf is about accuracy first and distance second, especially starting out. The old cliche will always apply that the woods are filled with balls from long hitters. 105 is plenty of swing speed and 111 is pretty elite so I wouldn't worry about superspeed training anytime soon. Get the ball in the fairway, on the green and start making some putts THEN worry about things like more distance and shot shaping.