Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Callaway RAZR Fit driver vs Titleist 910 D3 driver

jonyim

This is basically a question of do you like Red Delicious Apples or Golden Delicious Apples. I do not have performance numbers but they are very simular. In terms of adjustment the Callaway has weights that you can move about and the Titleist comes with factory installed weights. Oops. That is true but just realized that the question was D3.

The Razr Fit is the same as the 910D2. Both 460 (about) heads, the Callaway may be a touch more forgiving. But when compared to the 910D3. Well, that is a different animal. The 910D3 has the 445 head, and is more workable and Razr is more forgiving.

I do not have either of these and only hit them a couple of times each at the store. I do have a 909D3 and a FT9. Which in my opinion is the same thing with out the adjustments. Both of these felt very solid to me, and sounded really good too. I hit the Callaway 1 yard further than the Titleist but the smaller head looked better to me.

All in all, I think this comes down to what you like and what you would rather have, more forgiveness or more workabitlity.

These are just later versions of my two favorite drivers, ever. The 909D3 finally kicked the 905R out of my bag for good. The FT9 could only keep the 905R out of the bag for a short time and then it would be back. My FT 9 was the imix so I would resurect it to try out shafts that would eventually make it into the the 905R. But the 909D3 had just the right amount of workablitiy and forgiveness as well as distance to me. The 910D3 seems to be just like it, but with a black face and adjustable. Not worth the extra money to me. Yet. Well, at least today.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I hit the Razr Fit yesterday for the first time and I was impressed...and I'm not a Callaway guy. In fact, this is probably the first Callaway driver I've liked in a while. Ballspeed was really good, even on mishits, and the spin was quite low. In my experience, the 910 heads spin a bit more, though my experience with the RAZR Fit is limited.

The one area where the Titleist beats just about everything is in "free" shaft options. At most decent big boxes, you can try the D3 head with 3-5 different shafts whereas the Callaway fitting cart only has the stock Rip'd NV (at least at the stores I've been to).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen a few of the RAZR Fit drivers in the stores here in Asia and I have to say they look very good at the address position, the open settings sits more like 1*-1.5* rather than 2*-2.5* open and the neutral setting is very square, doesn't look open or closed to my eye. Stock shaft is VERY tip soft and whippy. I definitely need a stiffer aftermarket shaft than the stock shaft, that's just unacceptable from Callaway.

jonyim, I am a huge Titleist Fan but as I said I also have an FT 9. I have been playing the FT9 for the last few weeks because I was hitting it significantly longer than the 909D3. I won a Razr Fit (Thank you MyGolfSpy) but it is not here yet. Hopefully next week. But yesterday I played with 36 holes of golf. Basically there were 24 of us that showed up and they divided us into teams. There was a 17 year old high school kid on my team and he had a 909D with the stock shaft. He also lives on the course and I have watched him play for the last 10 years and while I have not played with him in several months he is always one of the long hitters and he has about a 3 or 4 handicap. Any way like I said, we played 36 holes together and I am happy that I am getting the Razr Fit. My FT9 is three years old, and the Proforce V2 is an even older design but I out drove him just about every hole for the first 33 holes. I began to run out of energy and he was still fresh but 30 years younger will do that for you. But I did not like the Titleist driver near as well as the Razr Fit.

But in all honesty it probably had more to do with the shaft than the head.

After my dissasterous trip to Dallas to get on a launch monitor I talke with my pro and took a couple of practice swings there in the clubhouse, and he fixed my driver swing. Basically, I moved the ball up in my stance and hit more up on it and I have been driving the ball great.

I just reread your latest post here, where you talk about the stock shafts in the Razr Fit. I put the stock shaft back into my FT9 on Friday, (IMIX) My wife has been playing it in my older FT5. It was also wimpy. I hit it twice and immediately changed it out. I also hit one of my playing partners R11 with a stock shaft. I had even worse results.

Obviously, a properly fit shaft is more valuable than a new driver head.

True RoverRick, got myself a UST Axivcore Tour Green shaft knowing already through sites like GolfWRX that the stock shaft in the RAZR Fit driver is very soft to it's flex. Guessing on the frequency machine a stock S will cycle out as an R. The Axivcore Tour Green has helped me keep the ball down a bit and kill some spin of the driver and it's a "really good value for money" shaft. Will be interesting to see how it fits in with the RAZR Fit driver.

True RoverRick, got myself a UST Axivcore Tour Green shaft knowing already through sites like GolfWRX that the stock shaft in the RAZR Fit driver is very soft to it's flex. Guessing on the frequency machine a stock S will cycle out as an R. The Axivcore Tour Green has helped me keep the ball down a bit and kill some spin of the driver and it's a "really good value for money" shaft. Will be interesting to see how it fits in with the RAZR Fit driver.

I really wish there were standards to judge flex and torque. I don't understand why shaft makers don't want this, it seems like it would help them by making it less intimidating to try out a new shaft.

Good point regarding flex standardization..To any of the MGS'ers, RR or anyone that has an answer, not a quess, why are the OEM's dragging their feer on this?...Fairways & Greens 4ever...

Because they have no incentive to do so? Might as well ask them to publish the EI graphs while you're at it so they can show that a $350 Fubuki K is similair to a $250 Kusala Black to a $50 Acer something or other in flex and profile. Not going to happen because it doesn't help them at all.

Plus it's a way to support their fitting networks since one of three scenario's happens

A: Someone doesn't get fit and never goes for a shaft replacement. Meh, were't likely going to get their business anyways

B: Someone doesn't get fit and try's out a bunch of different shafts trying to find "the one" and spents a boat load. Huzzah, the industry got more money

C: Someone goes to get properlly fit and get's placed into a shaft upgrade. Huzzah someone likely just bought through that dealer giving money to both the OEM and the OEM's boots on the ground as it were. Plus good will spreads for that shop and hopefully more people go get fit selling more of that OEM's shaft.

Cornering the online crazies is fun and all because we spent a bunch of money for tiny, tiny gains or even taking steps backwards because we like graphics. That being said, we're a drop in the bucket so sticking extra information out there will help us but confuse everyone else who wonders if they can get by without a fitting.

All that being said, it still amuses me the variations even in the same shaft line. How a Speeder 6.2 X is like a 7.1 in S for the butt and tip only highlights that someone will good Fujikura knowledge should be helping someone out instead of taking accurate guesses.

If someone really wants to know then get the Profiling program from Wishon. Not everything is in there, but they've done a good job with gettings lots of shafts in there. It also makes it dead easy to find a shaft that you use to like then find all the ones similair to it in a jiffy.

Or ask Fujikura really, really nicely to share their database with you.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

There is so much more to a shaft than simple flex it is unbelievable. I totally misspoke when I said I put the stock shaft in the iMix. The stock shaft is a NVS a real one, and while it may or may not be wimpy, it is a high launch and high spin shaft. I can spin a Proforce V2 3300 rpms, so when I hit this NVS it was probably 5000 rpms. That spin, high launch, into a 20 mph wind, looked like a 8 iron that had range balls hitting and backing up. The TM was also a high launch high spin shaft but it really was too wimpy so it looked like a pulled 9 iron. Adilia shafts do play more flexible to me but the reall problem with these was the spin not any variations in flex.

There is so much more to a shaft than simple flex it is unbelievable. I totally misspoke when I said I put the stock shaft in the iMix. The stock shaft is a NVS a real one, and while it may or may not be wimpy, it is a high launch and high spin shaft. I can spin a Proforce V2 3300 rpms, so when I hit this NVS it was probably 5000 rpms. That spin, high launch, into a 20 mph wind, looked like a 8 iron that had range balls hitting and backing up. The TM was also a high launch high spin shaft but it really was too wimpy so it looked like a pulled 9 iron. Adilia shafts do play more flexible to me but the reall problem with these was the spin not any variations in flex.

It's the variation of flex at a given point in that shaft that will alter the spin rate assuming someone hits both shafts with the same club head and the same swing each time. You're right, stiff on it's own doesn't mean squat. Instead what we're looking at is what is the stiffness profile at the very least for the butt, mid and tip sections and ideally you'd hit higher and lower mid section to get at least 4 points of rating if you can't just EI the whole thing.

For example a stiff flex in both a V2 and a NVS goes like this

V2: standard "stiff" in the butt and most of the mid section and then half a flex higher in the tip. This keeps the ball lower and removes spin.

NVS: Standard "stiff" in the butt and then plays half a flex softer through the rest of the shaft. This will get the ball up, add spin and make it easier to load.

Hence your variations in spin are because of the flex profile of the shaft.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

The right shaft in the right driver head makes a big difference. I've tried a 910 D3 driver with a whole range of shafts, some launched too low, some hooked way left. Shaft flex can't really be determined just by a letter because each shaft has different frequencies, so certain frequencies fit the R, S, X flex shaft, sometimes even XX or XXX shafts (long drivers only).

Anyways, anyone know how you can order a .335 tip for the RAZR Fit driver? Calling Callaway or emailing them? Probably going to get one over a 910 D3 driver.

The right shaft in the right driver head makes a big difference. I've tried a 910 D3 driver with a whole range of shafts, some launched too low, some hooked way left. Shaft flex can't really be determined just by a letter because each shaft has different frequencies, so certain frequencies fit the R, S, X flex shaft, sometimes even XX or XXX shafts (long drivers only).

Anyways, anyone know how you can order a .335 tip for the RAZR Fit driver? Calling Callaway or emailing them? Probably going to get one over a 910 D3 driver.

There's a couple Ebay guys with them. I know Will has some for sale already but they're fairly pricey at $60-70 a pop.

I imagine just like the old STR8, 910 and Cobra adapters, that Golfworks will have a clone tip out in the next little bit for both the Fit and the new Nike tip.

Hmmmmmm, maybe I'll wait for the Tour Authentic hosel and stick it in my RAZR Fit driver when I get fitted for one. Probably a much smarter option to replace the standard hosel(3 settings) with the Tour Authentic hosel (9 settings)

Agree with you there RP, I think I found a shaft that suits my game and will swap it into my RAZR Fit driver ASAP. Speaking of which, I hit the RAZR Fit driver for the first time. Reminiscent of the FT Tour driver in terms of sound and feel, that quiet but powerful ooompf, but sooooooooo much more forgiving, even though it was a 10.5 R flex stock shaft. That will explain why I tend to miss it left. Having said that, an upcoming demo day is round the corner, so it will be interesting to see what the 9.5 S flex is like.

• 3 weeks later...

Any feedback on the trajectory of the RAZR Fit driver compared to the 910 D3 driver in terms of height of the ball flight?

The shaft will have more effect on the ball flight than the club head. I recieved my Razr Fit driver last night after dark. So I will have some more feed back tonight after dark. Playing in a scramble at 5 I plan on going out this afternoon and introducing myself to it.

I had my first date today with Ellie Mae. Ellie Mae Callaway, my new Callaway Razr Fit driver with the Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7 shaft. I was disappointed at first. But the problem it turned out was me not the driver or the shaft. After a suitable warm up I finally realized that I was overswinging. After I settle down, this club turned out to be a bomber. I have not had it enough to give a full assessment. But this combination is awesome. This shaft is a high launch low spin shaft. The ball seems to sort of hang in the air and when the ball hits it rolls along way. I hit the ball today to places I have never even attempted before,

Our second hole, the hardest on the course. It is listed as a 401 yard par 4 dog leg left, OB right and straight but 300 yards to the end of the fairway. Today, I aimed over the trees and cut the corner which is 250 yards from the tee. According to the Sky Caddie I hit this 295 yards and had 89 yards to the flag.

One of the young guys who was working in the proshop hit it one time. He caught all of it and I lost sight of it and just about the time that I thought he had cleared the lake over 300 yards from where we were it splashed just before the other side. I asked if he normally hit that far and he said he had never even dreamed of hitting it that far.

Ellie Mae may turn out to be a beast. The funny thing is I have tried other balls, B330RXS, Tour I(s), Penta, and 20XI and never got the distance I did out of a Pro V1 with my Titleist 909D3 but I hit these balls today and got more distance. Obviously this was a spin issue. This is part of the reason I can not give more of an opinion.

I was out driving guys that had the 910 with my 909. I think that this driver will out drive my 909. First I have to get her dialed in, and then I have to become more comfortable with her.

I did hit her off the deck today and she was awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, you know where I can get the TA tip online? Will Callaway sell the TA tips through their own sites? Also any of you know if the standard RAZR Fit comes with the different weights in the wrench? (4, 6, 8 and 10 grams weights) I want to just get the standard RAZR Fit driver and add the TA tip and make my own TA RAZR Fit driver. Hopefully the weights come stock with the standard RAZR Fit.

Hey guys, you know where I can get the TA tip online? Will Callaway sell the TA tips through their own sites? Also any of you know if the standard RAZR Fit comes with the different weights in the wrench? (4, 6, 8 and 10 grams weights) I want to just get the standard RAZR Fit driver and add the TA tip and make my own TA RAZR Fit driver. Hopefully the weights come stock with the standard RAZR Fit.

Still quite rare even for the tour van's. You could ask Will or Marcus but I don't think even they have them yet.

TBD on that one. I asked Cally CS and it seems it's still a point for debate

No, the stock Razr Fit only has the 12 and 2 weights. You should be able to buy the weight kit with the others seperately though in the future.

Archived