TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cored greens

Should golf courses have half price green fee's after green renovations have taken place? For the first week or so??

Trevor 01 

Taylormade driver @ 9.5 x flex, 3 wood @15, 5 wood @ 21, golfpride cord 

Taylormade p770 irons D7 swingweight lie angle @ 1 upright, Titleist wedges @ 2 flat  with KBS 120. 50,56,60, 

Taylormade spider putter.

Half the price? No

reduces price? Yes but maybe only 5-10%

But if one doesn’t like playing a course after the greens were punched then don’t play the course the first week, find a course that is on a different schedule 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It depends on the type of aitification equipment the course uses. Older machines use a hollow tinning process in which they pull out solid plugs. Depending on the plug size it takes longer for the green to heal and uses a lot of sand. You should ask for a discount on those conditions. There is needle tining, deep tine airification, deep vertical slicing, vertical slicing, and a new process that injects air. 

I have played right after needle tining and vertical slicing. These don't mess with putting that much except for some slight sand on the ball in a morning round. The greens heal in a couple days.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

It’s only inconvenient for the day. I like knowing that they are taking care of the course. Played at a course with a friend at his course last year. The greens were awful and he said he played there every week and he didn’t ever see the greens punched. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

34 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It depends on the type of aitification equipment the course uses. Older machines use a hollow tinning process in which they pull out solid plugs. Depending on the plug size it takes longer for the green to heal and uses a lot of sand. You should ask for a discount on those conditions. There is needle tining, deep tine airification, deep vertical slicing, vertical slicing, and a new process that injects air. 

I have played right after needle tining and vertical slicing. These don't mess with putting that much except for some slight sand on the ball in a morning round. The greens heal in a couple days.

... Cost prohibitive but Joe Jemsek (RIP) of Cog Hill had the best solution I have run across. He aerated 1/2 the green and placed the cup on the non aerated half. Then 2 weeks later came back and aerated the other half putting the cup on the almost healed half. You deal with bumpy greens from a distance but around the hole the ball rolled smoothly. Sadly when He passed away his brother stopped that process saying it cost too much. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I've been living with aerated greens for over the last three months.  Here in Key West we need to do all of our work in the off season Summer.  That includes big core aeration with sand top dressing every 5-6 weeks since the end of May/early June.  Just as soon as they are somewhat repaired and starting to roll, it's time for the next aeration!  They just completed their third pass and have one more vertical slicing in late September before our season ramps back up.

Given our one course here is the only game in town, there's never been a discussion about a reduced rate for aeration or any other time play is interrupted or compromised in any way.  They even prorate rain checks by home many holes you played even if it's only one or two.  

As said in Mel Brook's History of the World Part 2, "It's good to be the King!"  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
1 minute ago, Golf2Much said:

I've been living with aerated greens for over the last three months.  Here in Key West we need to do all of our work in the off season Summer.  That includes big core aeration with sand top dressing every 5-6 weeks since the end of May/early June.  Just as soon as they are somewhat repaired and starting to roll, it's time for the next aeration!  They just completed their third pass and have one more vertical slicing in late September before our season ramps back up.

Given our one course here is the only game in town, there's never been a discussion about a reduced rate for aeration or any other time play is interrupted or compromised in any way.  They even prorate rain checks by home many holes you played even if it's only one or two.  

... Wow and I thought 2 times in the summer was a lot! Same scenario where as soon as the greens are pretty much healed, they do it again. But winter here is filled with snowbirds, vacationers and locals so the course is packed everyday from Nov-April. I rarely play in the summer because there is no shade and they water constantly so lush and crazy slow compared to the hard fast winter conditions. They don't discount for aeration but the summer rate is $22.81 with tax at twilite and another $13.03 for a cart so I don't see how they could charge any less. 

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Cost prohibitive but Joe Jemsek (RIP) of Cog Hill had the best solution I have run across. He aerated 1/2 the green and placed the cup on the non aerated half. Then 2 weeks later came back and aerated the other half putting the cup on the almost healed half. You deal with bumpy greens from a distance but around the hole the ball rolled smoothly. Sadly when He passed away his brother stopped that process saying it cost too much. 

I don't understand why it would cost that much more. Similar to doing the front 9 one week and the back 9 the next. I would think the added expense would only be a little gas to get from hole to hole.

My course purchased a new piece of equipment that makes small slits. You can putt normally within a day or two. Best thing I have seen so far.

@Trevor 01 Anyone who is a member of a golf club paying yearly or monthly dues would never get a discount. The only time I have heard of a discount at a private club is if the course or clubhouse had to be shut down for an extended time (more than a month). Then they try to get reciprocal arrangements somewhere else or give you some extra time before your next billing cycle. They all want their money for payroll, improvements, and repairs. Rub of the green so to speak.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

12 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I don't understand why it would cost that much more. Similar to doing the front 9 one week and the back 9 the next. I would think the added expense would only be a little gas to get from hole to hole.

My course purchased a new piece of equipment that makes small slits. You can putt normally within a day or two. Best thing I have seen so far.

... I love the small slit method. The brother that took over Cog Hill is very cheap. Joe would not put in concrete cart paths as they destroyed the beauty of the courses and the day after he died his brother put in cart paths because he thought it would bring in more customers. There are also 4 courses and Frank Jemsek keeps as few workers as possible on staff so the conditions have gone downhill. He brings in extra crew for aeration and wants it done as fast as possible. Shutting down the course for one day is bad but 2 days is unthinkable. Did I mention he was cheap? 🤑

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My course just went to the "punch" method this year after the hollow time method in years past.  The greens never looked so good. And I am honest to say that when they did the 2nd punch, and I played two fldays later, I asked the pro why they didn't punch the greens per the schedule... he said... "we did"   

In the specific topic, for the plug style punch, most courses are pretty up front with the schedule and letting players know as they are making reservations.  It is the players choice at that point... they can choose not to pay to play aerated greens.  

A discount would be nice, but I don't expect it.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
3 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

Personally, I think this is overboard. IMO, one large core, a smaller core, then the vertical slicing would keep the greens in great shape.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

13 hours ago, Trevor 01 said:

Should golf courses have half price green fee's after green renovations have taken place? For the first week or so??

In the area where I play golf (southeast PA and Central NJ), most — but not all — golf courses discount their greens fees by 10% for one week following green aeration. Some also offer discounts after they have aerated their fairways, but that is less common.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

2 hours ago, GaDawg said:

Personally, I think this is overboard. IMO, one large core, a smaller core, then the vertical slicing would keep the greens in great shape.

Me too!  I think the three full aerations and one slit is due to the fact the greens at at or beyond their intended life.  They are likely doing what they can to prolong their useful life.  Add in the fact it’s a Donald Ross design with small greens and they get a lot of wear and tear.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
12 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

Me too!  I think the three full aerations and one slit is due to the fact the greens at at or beyond their intended life.  They are likely doing what they can to prolong their useful life.  Add in the fact it’s a Donald Ross design with small greens and they get a lot of wear and tear.  

Good points..

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x