Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Baseball, Hockey & Golf-an observation.

The slap shot has many similar characteristics the pressures in golf swing with the trail leg pushing back. Because of the skates the trail foot slides but there really is a lot of pressure in the trail leg pushing while the lead leg is extending. Look at guys like Jack, great Norman, Bradley Hughes and many older golfers. Then todays era Tiger, rory and scheffler watch their trail foot

Baesball is played on a different plane and the swing mechanics are slightly different between then two sports. Pitchers make better golfers than hitters

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think another key factor is that baseball players don't have to work on a backswing. They get to start from the point of forward motion so they never learn how to maintain balance and planes on the backswing and even the transition is more easily cued up.

Q -

just getting started

22 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

... Pitchers make better golfers than hitters

I agree with that. My son-in-law pitched on a college scholarship and he is an excellent golfer.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

Just now, hohjoe said:

I agree with that. My son-in-law pitched on a college scholarship and he is an excellent golfer.

The flow of the golf swing is similar to a throwing motion. Pressure on trail leg shifting tothe front as the arm, upper body is going back then thru after pressure is applied to the front leg.

Most baseball players have hit mentality and try to muscle the ball. Thought is if I can hit a ball that’s moving it can’t be that hard to hit one that’s not moving and that I can hit it far.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Most baseball players have hit mentality and try to muscle the ball. Thought is if I can hit a ball that’s moving it can’t be that hard to hit one that’s not moving and that I can hit it far.

I resemble this remark.  It has been 35 years since I played competitive baseball... and I still struggle with this concept.  I was a dead pull hitter, so the bat was always thrown around my body.... so when attacking the golf ball... yes... I cast, I struggle with lag, I release early... and I hit.  Not to mention, you don't take a "back swing" in baseball.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
15 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I resemble this remark.  It has been 35 years since I played competitive baseball... and I still struggle with this concept.  I was a dead pull hitter, so the bat was always thrown around my body.... so when attacking the golf ball... yes... I cast, I struggle with lag, I release early... and I hit.  Not to mention, you don't take a "back swing" in baseball.  

Makes two of us. But we are part of a crowd. Every player I know has dealt with this to some extent and deals with it til this day. Those with more time to practice deal with it less.

I worked with two guys that were in the minor leagues til injuries ended their pro life. Both were able to get away from that thinking and play good golf but they also spent years practicing the game and getting lessons.

Some others I know stopped playing any kind of ball when they got serious about golf because it messed with their golf swing.

I played hockey growing up. I think it helped a little in the way that it’s not a big transition in posture too. You get used to using the lead side and keeping your chest down to create power.  I’m small, which is why I stopped playing, but I swing the club alright for my size as a result. 

It’s a pretty good workout too. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

Played hockey all my life (still playing 2 - 3 times a week in winter).  I can agree that it makes the transition easier, but I wonder (just my own thoughts) if the slapshot also contributes to the "over the top" style golf swing.  I've noticed it in my swing and when I watch my 14 year old play golf, I can also see how he hits the ball like a slap shot and in turn creates a slice.

My other 12 year old who doesn't play hockey though hits a nice straight through shot and almost dead straight.

No data to go off of though, just my observations.

Plus, lots of hockey players have nothing do during the spring and summer months (especially if you play for the Leafs!!)

Chiller Cart Bag

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 9° - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim Max Rocket 3wd 14° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Max Rescue 4H 22° - Ventus Blue 7S

:cobra-small: King Forged Tec 2020 - 5 thru PW - Dynamic Gold S400

:cleveland-small: CBX 2 54° Wedge

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole 3 Sand Wedge 58°

Bat Attack Battle Ready Putter 34"

:Arccos: Tracking

1 minute ago, Keeper905 said:

Played hockey all my life (still playing 2 - 3 times a week in winter).  I can agree that it makes the transition easier, but I wonder (just my own thoughts) if the slapshot also contributes to the "over the top" style golf swing.  I've noticed it in my swing and when I watch my 14 year old play golf, I can also see how he hits the ball like a slap shot and in turn creates a slice.

My other 12 year old who doesn't play hockey though hits a nice straight through shot and almost dead straight.

Plus, lots of hockey players have nothing do during the spring and summer months (especially if you play for the Leafs!!)

Probably a little because of trying to swing with the shoulders/upper body leading the swing instead of the lower body.

Could be more so the backswing and lack of hip/hand depth that does it. My brother slides and doesn’t turn and has a slice too

On 9/6/2022 at 7:45 AM, Golfspy_TCB said:

With all due respect Tim, I'm not feeling the empathy here 😆. I have heard that hockey players tend to more naturally align with golf swing mechanics. 

image.png.2d053cf06c32dcab8763573d38c521bd.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

17 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

With all due respect Tim, I'm not feeling the empathy here 😆. I have heard that hockey players tend to more naturally align with golf swing mechanics. 

image.png.2d053cf06c32dcab8763573d38c521bd.png

Touche Bill.  🙃

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1
  • 1 month later...
On 9/14/2022 at 10:17 AM, Keeper905 said:

100% agree the slapshot contributes to an over the top swing. I've played hockey for almost my entire life and still do. I would shoot pucks for hours when I was younger. I used to have a terrible slice and it's taken me years to overcome it, so I'm in total agreement!

I'm a hockey player playing golf today.
TSR3, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X
JPX 921 Tour Irons
Evnroll EV5.1
ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 7:29 AM, MacTourney said:

Staying in the pocket and not running away in the middle of a fight.

1da4dd8c01c85f0801e9d8deb2f010f65e93e2b0.jpeg.b5f3f05795051614c85a2d12baaa5c45.jpeg5921455f05770075018627081c785e1f8035d967.jpeg.b555d72972a8c6201fd938bc1bb7c3b6.jpeg

I really like this side by side.

I am the @RickyBobby_PRand @Golfspy_TCB camp. Its why I transitioned early away from lefty golf to righty. It forced me (glad my Dad recommended it early) to at least instill some form of a golf swing. But there are still habits there for sure.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I am a lefty in all swinging sports. Golf, lacrosse, hockey, baseball, tennis except field hockey (they only make rh sticks). For me it isn't so much about the swing or pathing it is more about the eye dominance. Going from golf and to baseball to hockey all felt very natural and not all that different, however I can say I never played baseball and golf in the same years so that may have a part to play in it. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I played a lot of baseball before (and after) picking up golf as a youngster.  Rather than being a pull hitter, I would hit the ball where it was pitched which I believe made it easier to translate to a golf swing.  I was trying to drive the bat through the back of the ball toward any field depending on the side of the plate it was pitched.  We had drills where we would release the bat toward the field we wanted to hit to.  So my swing thought when learning golf was to come straight into the back of the ball and release my hands and my club (but in thought only) down the target line.  There is a lot of muscle memory at work after hitting hundreds of thousands of balls but it has worked for me over the years.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 1 month later...

This old picture of Hogan usually runs with some consensus that he was just joking around for the crowd with his slightly turned cap,  and that's probably true no doubt, but I contend he may not have pulled that clowning around shtick out of thin air at that time, especially with all the discovery and drills he must have pursued on his own trying to tame the lefties.

Here is Hogan clowning around, and a pic of Grant Lavigne from the Rockies during batting practice keeping the barrel behind the hands forever to hit it straight up the middle, more body less hands, forever. 

Untitledbhp.png.ffc28c30ff82a241617d73fc574d6530.pnggrantlavigne.png.12c3d70d01d89f158f1af50d56474820.png

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small: