TESTERS WANTED! ×

Any advice on how to safely pack a travel golf bag?

Matt Hutch

I travel for golf often and I want to maximize the soft sided travel bag that I have. I have anxiety on every trip until check my clubs and gear are safe, any tips, tricks or hacks?

Thanks!

Matt

Travel Bag Packing.jpeg

Edited by Matt Hutch
Change Picture.

If you are curious about my bag, ask me!

@PMookie  @Golfspy_Lukes   

I"m sure you both know what the title of this thread reminded me form aother life....the famous Mike Dean battle 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Matt, I f you travel often, I'd seriously consider investing in either the ClubGlove or SunMountain Club Glider.  Either one will eliminate you anxiety compltely.  They are well made and well protected in the clubhead area.

But for extra protection, I suggest taking the club head off the driver and wrapping a towel around the iron clubheads to keep them from moving around too much.   Store your driver head in your checked luggage or the bottom of that bag as well.   ProTip--Take a pciture of the setting of your driver before you take it off, so you're assured of putting it back to the correct setting. 

If you do those simple things, you won't have any probelms at all.  Well assuming the airlines get them there on time..ha 

Which is another topic, even thought I have both those bags, I pretty much use Ship Sticks all the time now when I travel.  It's not cheap, but the hasle of not lugging clubs through the airport and on and off rental car and hotel shuttles etc is worht it in my mind.   I show up at the hotel and they are either in my room or at the front desk waiting for me. 

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Matt, I f you travel often, I'd seriously consider investing in either the ClubGlove or SunMountain Club Glider.  Either one will eliminate you anxiety compltely.  They are well made and well protected in the clubhead area.

But for extra protection, I suggest taking the club head off the driver and wrapping a towel around the iron clubheads to keep them from moving around too much.   Store your driver head in your checked luggage or the bottom of that bag as well.   ProTip--Take a pciture of the setting of your driver before you take it off, so you're assured of putting it back to the correct setting. 

If you do those simple things, you won't have any probelms at all.  Well assuming the airlines get them there on time..ha 

Which is another topic, even thought I have both those bags, I pretty much use Ship Sticks all the time now when I travel.  It's not cheap, but the hasle of not lugging clubs through the airport and on and off rental car and hotel shuttles etc is worht it in my mind.   I show up at the hotel and they are either in my room or at the front desk waiting for me. 

Thank you! I used ship sticks this past summer, as I didn't have a travel bag, I'm just interested in the hacks and protections, some of which you mention. I appreciate it!

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

@PMookie  @Golfspy_Lukes   

I"m sure you both know what the title of this thread reminded me form aother life....the famous Mike Dean battle 🙂

I presume you aren't talking about Mike Dean the former EPL referee...

Mike Dean Tranmere.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Matt Hutch said:

I presume you aren't talking about Mike Dean the former EPL referee...

Mike Dean Tranmere.jpeg

Ha...yeah, not quite. 

It was another golf forum, where a member had much the same quandry you did, and was struggling to get his overstuffed bag  (as he was coming home wiht a lot of swag that he didn't take) into his travel bag, and guys documented his "reverse cowboy" postion in the attempt 🙂

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ha...yeah, not quite. 

It was another golf forum, where a member had much the same quandry you did, and was struggling to get his overstuffed bag  (as he was coming home wiht a lot of swag that he didn't take) into his travel bag, and guys documented his "reverse cowboy" postion in the attempt 🙂

Haha! Noted.

I second the recommendation of the Sun Mountain Club Glider travel bag.  I used mine on a recent golfing trip to England and Scotland, and it did a marvelous job!  Of the 30 golfers on this trip, more than half were using these Club Glider travel bags. Besides having the clubs flown over and back, being manhandled by both DHL drivers and airline baggage handlers, there were four hotel transfers and several bus trips with our clubs on this trip, and the Club Glider handled it all just great!

As for packing, I recommend using several towels wrapped strategically around the clubheads inside of the travel bag. I also pack extra clothing (sweaters or fleece items and rain gear, etc.) in the travel bag to provide extra protection around the clubs -- particularly the clubheads and on the "soft" side of the Club Glider between the clubs and the bag.

The #1 best item that you should use with ANY travel bag is a telescoping "back bone" or "stiff arm", or a similar item (here's a link) --

https://www.amazon.com/Bag-Boy-BackBone-Travel-Cover/dp/B008FW82YQ/ref=asc_df_B008FW82YQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241930041047&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3582950836513658334&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007249&hvtargid=pla-404766569439&psc=1

There are lots of good articles about how to pack your clubs for maximum protection; this one by Ship Sticks is somewhat self-serving, but it offers some decent general advice on the subject -- https://www.shipsticks.com/blog/how-to-protect-your-golf-clubs-when-flying-ship-sticks/

I don't find it to be necessary to remove clubheads if you use a back bone / stiff arm type of device and also pack using a few layers of towels around the cluhhead area inside of the travel bag and below the protective arm, but in the past I have removed adjustable driver heads in the past and placed the clubhead inside a headcover with a golf towel wrapped around it and placed it inside of an external pocket on my golf bag.

One other thing -- If you pack at least some of your dirty clothing or clothing that you won't need for the balance of the trip in the travel bag, it both lightens your load on the return trip, and offers some extra padding in strategic areas of the travel bag.  Just make sure that you stay under the weight limit on that travel bag (my wife and I take along a small handheld luggage scale on our trips for this purpose, and I pack the travel bag to within a pound or two of the airline limit for the trip home).

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I've had a ClubGlove travel bag for years, and have never had a problem, at least a dozen and maybe close to 20 trips.  I do take the head off the driver, I do use the Club Glove Stiff Arm, I do wrap a towel around the clubs, and then I stop worrying.  Oh, and like @funkyjudge, I take along a small travel scale to keep it all under 50 pounds.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

I second the recommendation of the Sun Mountain Club Glider travel bag.  I used mine on a recent golfing trip to England and Scotland, and it did a marvelous job!  Of the 30 golfers on this trip, more than half were using these Club Glider travel bags. Besides having the clubs flown over and back, being manhandled by both DHL drivers and airline baggage handlers, there were four hotel transfers and several bus trips with our clubs on this trip, and the Club Glider handled it all just great!

As for packing, I recommend using several towels wrapped strategically around the clubheads inside of the travel bag. I also pack extra clothing (sweaters or fleece items and rain gear, etc.) in the travel bag to provide extra protection around the clubs -- particularly the clubheads and on the "soft" side of the Club Glider between the clubs and the bag.

The #1 best item that you should use with ANY travel bag is a telescoping "back bone" or "stiff arm", or a similar item (here's a link) --

https://www.amazon.com/Bag-Boy-BackBone-Travel-Cover/dp/B008FW82YQ/ref=asc_df_B008FW82YQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241930041047&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3582950836513658334&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007249&hvtargid=pla-404766569439&psc=1

There are lots of good articles about how to pack your clubs for maximum protection; this one by Ship Sticks is somewhat self-serving, but it offers some decent general advice on the subject -- https://www.shipsticks.com/blog/how-to-protect-your-golf-clubs-when-flying-ship-sticks/

I don't find it to be necessary to remove clubheads if you use a back bone / stiff arm type of device and also pack using a few layers of towels around the cluhhead area inside of the travel bag and below the protective arm, but in the past I have removed adjustable driver heads in the past and placed the clubhead inside a headcover with a golf towel wrapped around it and placed it inside of an external pocket on my golf bag.

One other thing -- If you pack at least some of your dirty clothing or clothing that you won't need for the balance of the trip in the travel bag, it both lightens your load on the return trip, and offers some extra padding in strategic areas of the travel bag.  Just make sure that you stay under the weight limit on that travel bag (my wife and I take along a small handheld luggage scale on our trips for this purpose, and I pack the travel bag to within a pound or two of the airline limit for the trip home).

Thank you so much, this is great information!!!

53 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've had a ClubGlove travel bag for years, and have never had a problem, at least a dozen and maybe close to 20 trips.  I do take the head off the driver, I do use the Club Glove Stiff Arm, I do wrap a towel around the clubs, and then I stop worrying.  Oh, and like @funkyjudge, I take along a small travel scale to keep it all under 50 pounds.

This is great to hear, that's a lot of trips, I look forward to that many!

I've had a ClubGlove for over 20 years and never had a problem traveling all over the world.  I've had it so long the wheel's elastomer started to disintegrate.  They were easily replaced with inline skate wheels off of eBay. 

I recently got a Bag Boy backbone which protect the top from being crushed.  Before that I cut a broom handle down to about 1/2" longer than my driver and put it in my bag.  I think the idea of taking the driver head off is a good one.  With a full-length driver and my travel golf bag, it can be a tight fit (length-wise) to get it in the ClubGlove.  I also wrap several towels around the remaining heads and shafts to minimize the rattling during transit.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I had a travel bag that my buddy gave me and I just bought the stiff arm threw that in and also removed any heads I could.. put a bunch of clothes in the top of the bag so it would help cushion the clubs in case of a fall... I had a cheaper version of the stiff arm and it broke the first time I used it. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I travel often for golf, Oops I mean work. I travel next week then home a week then gone another week. All work related golf trips. I used to use a hard case because the airlines will replace anything broken if you use one. Well they actually broke the hard case three times in one season. They did pay for a replacement but it was so difficult to deal with getting to and from the airport in rental cars. You have to get a rental big enough. So I gave up and went to the Club Glove. Best thing I ever did.

I do go the extra mile when packing. Always use a stiff arm or cut down a broom stick, hockey stich or PVC pipe if you don't want to purchase a stiff arm. make sure it is at least 1/2" longer than your longest club. I take the driver head off, put the head in the head cover and place it in one of the pockets of the golf bag. Usually the one with my rain gear (extra padding that way). Then I put the shaft in the bag upside down to protect the tip. 

Next step is to move the putter to the center of the bag and move an iron somewhere else. The irons then get wrapped with my golf towels, weaving in and out and around. The travel rain cover then goes on and zipped up. I slightly unzip from the top and shove a little bubble wrap in there. TAKE A PICTURE. Then this all goes into the travel bag and buckled in place and zipped up. TAKE ANOTHER PICTURE. Never had a problem except every once in a while at a small airport they do a manual check. They open everything up and don't put everything back correctly. If anything ever gets broken you can show them the pictures of how it was packed and they will have to replace it because the damage was done due to the carelessness of the TSA Inspector. 

Also if your bag gets lost you can show them the picture of the bag. I had to do this once. It was the hard shell and it was all black. the operator of the luggage cart that took it off the plane did not see it in the dark. But interesting enough. The system showed the bag arrived and what cart it was loaded on. They called the guy on the luggage cart and he looked in the bin and there it was. Always have your tracking numbers on hand. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I used to travel for work before I retired and played a lot of golf when I did.  I also traveled for golf on vacation.  About 16 years ago I bought the Club Glove and I still use it.  It certainly is showing it's age, but the zippers are still perfect.  It's worth the money.  I have never done anything special (no stiff arm) when packing except to pack extra clothes for the trip around my golf bag, especially the heads.  Most of the trips years ago were pre-adjustable hosels.  My clubs were never anything special, so if something got damaged (never happened), I would get to go shopping!!

The only bad thing that happened was a couple of years ago at the Phoenix airport, I retrieved a black Club Glove bag (along with my wife's Club Glove bag) and headed to the rental car bus.  On the way I noticed that it wasn't my bag!!  Went back to Delta baggage claim; they checked the name and contacted the owner who had taken my bag and was at his hotel when he got the call.  I had to wait an hour until he returned my bag to the airport.  So check to make sure it's your bag; getting a Club Glove in a color other than black is also a good idea.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 9/6/2022 at 6:45 PM, DaveP043 said:

I have found a fool proof way to avoid an overweight charge as I do the clothes thing as all.  I exclusively use the curbside bag check in.  And I make sure fhe entire time the agent is checking me in I have a $20 bill very visible but discreetly so.   I can’t tell you the number of times my bag doesn’t even touch the scale 😬.   I know most towns jte probably under limits anyway.  But it also never hurts to make some one’s day a little brighter. 

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I have found a fool proof way to avoid an overweight charge as I do the clothes thing as all.  I exclusively use the curbside bag check in.  And I make sure fhe entire time the agent is checking me in I have a $20 bill very visible but discreetly so.   I can’t tell you the number of times my bag doesn’t even touch the scale 😬.   I know most towns jte probably under limits anyway.  But it also never hurts to make some one’s day a little brighter. 

Mine is usually under 50lbs, but I can go up to 70lbs for free on Delta.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I travel often for golf, Oops I mean work. I travel next week then home a week then gone another week. All work related golf trips. I used to use a hard case because the airlines will replace anything broken if you use one. Well they actually broke the hard case three times in one season. They did pay for a replacement but it was so difficult to deal with getting to and from the airport in rental cars. You have to get a rental big enough. So I gave up and went to the Club Glove. Best thing I ever did.

I do go the extra mile when packing. Always use a stiff arm or cut down a broom stick, hockey stich or PVC pipe if you don't want to purchase a stiff arm. make sure it is at least 1/2" longer than your longest club. I take the driver head off, put the head in the head cover and place it in one of the pockets of the golf bag. Usually the one with my rain gear (extra padding that way). Then I put the shaft in the bag upside down to protect the tip. 

Next step is to move the putter to the center of the bag and move an iron somewhere else. The irons then get wrapped with my golf towels, weaving in and out and around. The travel rain cover then goes on and zipped up. I slightly unzip from the top and shove a little bubble wrap in there. TAKE A PICTURE. Then this all goes into the travel bag and buckled in place and zipped up. TAKE ANOTHER PICTURE. Never had a problem except every once in a while at a small airport they do a manual check. They open everything up and don't put everything back correctly. If anything ever gets broken you can show them the pictures of how it was packed and they will have to replace it because the damage was done due to the carelessness of the TSA Inspector. 

Also if your bag gets lost you can show them the picture of the bag. I had to do this once. It was the hard shell and it was all black. the operator of the luggage cart that took it off the plane did not see it in the dark. But interesting enough. The system showed the bag arrived and what cart it was loaded on. They called the guy on the luggage cart and he looked in the bin and there it was. Always have your tracking numbers on hand. 

I neglected to mention in my earlier response, but I also do the “weave” with the towels in and out between clubheads and shafts.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

A Club Glove (expect to see an ad someday “9 out of 10 mygolfspy readers prefer…”)

B. Driver head off, in headcovers then into the shoe bag, tool in the shoe

c Driver shaft tucked into fairway wood headcovers w that stick

D Range finder goes into your carry on, same w any other electronics like Arccos Link

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

All of this above.  My clubs have been OTR with me 20+ times a year for more than 20 years.  Club Glove is the best!  I have one right now that needs a zipper repair.  If anyone knows a company that would do this, I'll ship it anywhere.  CG won't do those repairs any longer.  I have a Caddy Daddy right now and it's been fine.  I've written my name on the outside of the travel bag with silver sharpie.  That can assist with making sure someone else doesn't grab your clubs by mistake.  Luggage tags can and will disappear; TSA and baggage handlers will ensure that happens, LOLZ.  Heads off anything that's removable - always.  Towels around the clubheads and a Stiff Arm are absolute MUST DO's.  Nothing better IMO, than playing a tough course on the road with your own clubs.  Have fun traveling and play more golf!!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

28 minutes ago, MGoBlue100 said:

If anyone knows a company that would do this, I'll ship it anywhere.  CG won't do those repairs any longer.

I have had good luck with Dry Cleaners that do alterations. We just had a canvas display for trade shows break a zipper. We brought it to them and they replaced the zipper which was heavy duty and about 6 feet long. Check you local places that do alterations.  

22 hours ago, Nolan220 said:

I had a travel bag that my buddy gave me and I just bought the stiff arm threw that in and also removed any heads I could.. put a bunch of clothes in the top of the bag so it would help cushion the clubs in case of a fall... I had a cheaper version of the stiff arm and it broke the first time I used it. 

Thank you, this is super helpful, I really appreciate the time!

22 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Thank you so much for the detail, this is amazing, great hacks for travel!

6 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have had good luck with Dry Cleaners that do alterations. We just had a canvas display for trade shows break a zipper. We brought it to them and they replaced the zipper which was heavy duty and about 6 feet long. Check you local places that do alterations.  

That's a great idea; my son has a friend who's family owns some dry cleaners.  I'll inquire, thanks for the idea.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I just bought the Izzo High Roller because of the MGS rankings on protection. It'll be my first time traveling with my sticks. Fingers crossed it works out for the both of us! 

Driver - Mavrik Max 10.5 degrees

3 Wood - Mavrik 

4 Hybrid - Mavrik 

5 thru P - Apex 21 with Oban 100 shafts 

52 56 60 Degree - Kirkland Signature Wedges 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Monterey  

21 hours ago, GatorrDave said:

I just bought the Izzo High Roller because of the MGS rankings on protection. It'll be my first time traveling with my sticks. Fingers crossed it works out for the both of us! 

Drop us a line in this thread after your trip, I haven't heard any direct feedback on that one. Any hacks you have in general would also be appreciated!

On 9/6/2022 at 3:13 PM, Matt Hutch said:

I travel for golf often and I want to maximize the soft sided travel bag that I have. I have anxiety on every trip until check my clubs and gear are safe, any tips, tricks or hacks?

Thanks!

Matt

Travel Bag Packing.jpeg

On 9/8/2022 at 10:26 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have a Clubglider and I also have a Club Glove. Clubglider is all I use now. Important thing is get an extension bar. Can be bought at golf stores or online. It extends to the top of your bag so it helps prevent your driver and other clubs from getting bent or broken from the top of the bag. 

EECE05C5-BE1B-43AC-971F-8C81B1D61329.jpeg

I agree with wrapping a towel around the shafts but the other thing I do is put an old pillow around the top of the clubs to protect them.

Or take one that you like that way you have a good one in the hotel you're staying at.

Edited by JohnFP
Messed up

Driver , Taylormade Sim2 10.5, Hzrds black 6.0

3Wood, Taylormade R15, Hzrds blank 5.5

3Hybrid, Taylormade SLDR, Stock stiff shaft

Irons, 4 - P Callaway Apex 19 stiff tour elevate 

Wedges, 48, 52, 59 Vokey SM 6

Ball, Prov1x

On 9/6/2022 at 3:45 PM, DaveP043 said:

I've had a ClubGlove travel bag for years, and have never had a problem, at least a dozen and maybe close to 20 trips.  I do take the head off the driver, I do use the Club Glove Stiff Arm, I do wrap a towel around the clubs, and then I stop worrying.  

... Pretty much exactly how I travel but don't use a towel around my irons/wedges. I use my clean socks that become excellent iron head covers in the ClubGlove. On the return trip I use my dirty sox to cover irons/wedges. If your socks are very thin, use two. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Pretty much exactly how I travel but don't use a towel around my irons/wedges. I use my clean socks that become excellent iron head covers in the ClubGlove. On the return trip I use my dirty sox to cover irons/wedges. If your socks are very thin, use two. 

Now that's funny. I hope TSA doesn't take your iron covers off!