Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Any advice on how to safely pack a travel golf bag?

Matt Hutch

I remove the woods heads, and put them in a padded sock like thing in the bottom larger compartment, put the shaft upside down in the bag, and remove anything I don’t want to loose (rangefinder, other things).  Never had any problems!  Oh I forgot, I tape the putter to a divider, just in case, don’t want it bent.

Ping g400 max driver

Cally 7 and 5 wood 

ping g400 irons

cleveland wedge

Traveling by plane next week. First, take all the heads off your woods if adjustable, and place them in the head covers and a pocket. I put head covers on the irons and place them facing the center, wrapping my towels around them. I have a Bag Boy t-750 and have never had an issue.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

So I ALWAYS take my driver head off, first and foremost. And then I take a big beach towel, twirl it up, and wrap it around all my club tops and cinch it tight. I tuck the ends into the bag top as well. This secures the clubs from clanking around into each other, protects your shafts, adds extra padding, and usually I'm going somewhere where the extra beach towel is nice to have as well... 

As others will note. 

Heads off driver fairways. Put fairway heads in shoes in travel bag. I travel with 2 pairs shoes.

Put golf towels shoes and rain gear around top of bag. Put some irons in upside down if golf bag allows.

I've seen long painter's extension pole as stiffener.

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

On 9/6/2022 at 2:13 PM, Matt Hutch said:

I travel for golf often and I want to maximize the soft sided travel bag that I have. I have anxiety on every trip until check my clubs and gear are safe, any tips, tricks or hacks?

Thanks!

Matt

Travel Bag Packing.jpeg

A friend of mine cut a PVC pipe the length of his driver shaft and puts his driver in it for the trip.  I use bubble wrap around my clubheads.

Titleist TS2 driver, 3 wood

Titleist hybrids

Mizuno MP20 MMC irons

Vokey wedges

Callaway Tour Blue Putter

With all the restrictions of flying today, most airlines with not insure golf clubs unless they travel in a hard case.  That is what I have used for many years and they have survived worldwide travels and handling by, should I say by gorillas.  Just kidding, but the do take a beating.  I have the smaller SKB hard case that I purchased in the early 90's that I pack a Titleist lightweight golf bag in, seems to meet Delta's requirements for a bag and I can keep it under the weight limit.  Being an AEX Gold card frequent flyer get one free bag.  Have had a couple of issues over the years, but customer service was always there with replacement parts.  Have nothing but high praise for this travel case.  Have loaned it out to buddies when they travel and they love it as well.  Easy to handle thru airports, but not fit well in a small vehicles.  Need to check out length if purchasing one.  Well padded, protecting driver/fairways, and plenty of room for shoes (with small bag), with dual locking mechanism. 💫💫💫💫💫   

Travel Bag and Case .JPG

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

17 hours ago, CaptStang said:

Buy a Club Glove and a Stiff Arm...IMHO only way to protect the body slamming from the airlines.

+1 for this setup. Been using a Clubglove and stiff arm for over 10 years. Remove club heads, pack a couple extra towels around irons and you should be all good

22 hours ago, Matt Hutch said:

Thanks, these are all amazing tips, I really appreciate the insight! I love to hear about any storage hacks with the golf bag and storage in general. Cheers!

Just remember to post pics of your golf travels so we can all live vicariously through you! I’m on a plane this morning, but the clubs aren’t along this time… #SadFace ☹️

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

6 hours ago, TygrMike said:

Get one of those stiff arms and wrap clubs with towels. Also get an Apple tag and place in your bag in case clubs don't arrive.

Yes, Yes, and definitely YES!  Flying home from Chicago this weekend, it came it very handy with the baggage claim office. Finally got my clubs an hour after I landed. 

I purchased 1” plastic PVC pipe and end caps. Very cheap. You can cut with any saw. Do not need glue to put caps on each end. Just jam them on. Make them as long as you can get into your bag. I made 2 of them and put both in my bag to protect clubs. 

Rogue driver

M6 fairway #4,#5

Cleveland Halo hybrids #2, #3

Cobra TEC King irons

Cleveland CBX wedges

Odessy ELEVEN TOUR LINED CS PUTTER

I use the Club Glove, Stiff Arm, take off the driver, fairway metals, use iron head covers, wrap the clubs with a towel and close with the rain hood.  Weight has never been an issue for me and I will stuff one pair of golf and one pair of casual shoes with an extra dozen golf balls.

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag  

:titelist-small:  TSR3 11° Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6 stiff

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5° and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff 

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-P Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff52.12F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 120 stiff and 58.10S Jet Black Premium True Temper AMT Black-Black Onyx S300

Scotty Cameron   2022 Special Select Jet Set Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips, and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x