Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

The Future of Wedges?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

s-god-wedges-banner.jpg

Adjustable Wedges?

There's a lot of talk right now about adjustability when it comes to different golf club designs…it's the new catch-phrase in golf for 2009. But when you hear the term adjustability…people are usually referring to drivers or shafts being adjusted.

Although…a company by the name of S. God which we spoke about earlier on MGS (developed the first adjustable loft + face angle driver) has come up with another one of it's golf firsts. This one is called the “Viper Wedge”…and what makes this thingamawedge different is the fact that you can adjust it's bounce. Great for those wedges that have a ton of bounce and are good for the trap but are rendered useless for the average golfer in the fairway.

But will anyone actually use it you ask? Probably not…but it's still the most outside the box design idea I have seen so far when it comes to the recent golf club ajustability allowances by the USGA…well at least since Nike and Taylormade had you believe that they invented the adjustable driver. I am sure S-God would beg to differ…and it just makes you realize that so much of our US golf technology comes from (aka: stolen) both from small golf companies and overseas manufacturers that you might never have heard of.

s-god-wedge-2.jpg

Look For This Wedge Design To Be Stolen in 2010!

Yes…Nike and Taylormade want you to believe that they were the first to invent the new catchy adjustable loft and face angle drivers that you are hearing about…like the Taylormade R9 and the new Nike Str-8 FIT…but I don't think S-God or Nakashima would agree with that. Just another great marketing pitch based on hype to generate and boost sales for the two big US golf companies.

Now…this doesn't mean that we feel the S. God clubs perform better…we have tested them and they really don't…but from what our research shows they should at least get credit for being the first. It's always blew my mind, how two golf companies can come out with the exact same technology at the exact same time and both claim it was their idea first…makes me laugh. It has happened so many times…just in the last few years it has happened twice…first with the square head designs and now with the adjustable driver heads.

#TruthDigest

Well, with adjustability being a large selling point in the market today I can see this design being taken and used in some form by some OEM's. I think adjustability will be a large selling point for wedges in years to come, but obviously OEM's are going to have to figure out some design ideas to help generate more spin since the groove rule changes. I really think wedges will become a battle ground of designs over the next few years and replace the battle ground that we have seen in the driver market over the past few years.

I'm just not in to all of this "on the fly" adjustments I guess. This would be one more thing for a buddy of mine to pull out his "adjustment tool" in the middle of the round to "fix" his wedge. He already does it with his driver, now this would be another thing for me to sit there and drink more beer while he worked on his club. In fact, maybe that's his tactic...get me buzzed and I play worse. I see it now!

dmarshal17

09 TaylorMade Burner Driver 9.5 deg

Adams RPM 3 Wood

09 TaylorMade Rescue #3 19 deg

Callaway X22 irons (3-PW)

Callaway X12 Sand Wedge

Titelist Vokey Wedge (58 deg)

Odyssey White Hot XG#5 Center Shafted

Hey, I'm on Twitter!

• SPY VIP

Would it even be legal to adjust this mid-round? I'm pretty sure it's illegal to change a driver's settings during play, so I imagine the same would be true of wedges. It is an interesting idea, though.

I think that the adjustment would be done prior to the round. Casual golfer is hosed though. Adjust driver, swing, adjust fairway, swing, adjust wedge, swing, change putter face, putt, change putter face...

At least the TM face one seems like a way to almost reuse a wedge by just changing out the face. I wonder why you can't just walk into a store and buy a new wedge head to put on the still good shaft from your worn out wedge.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I think they have a ways to go... Those gaps are like the grand canyon.

I think TM is on the right tack with the xft... You can hardly tell the face pops out.

Agreed...I think that TM has something in the removable face technology. Replace the face instead of the whole club....brilliant!!

• SPY VIP

Agreed...I think that TM has something in the removable face technology. Replace the face instead of the whole club....brilliant!!

I think that the new face is almost the price of the complete wedge though...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Sorry I'm a traditionalists. I want my wedges ground by a real craftsman and I really don't want to see guys on the course in between shots adjusting their wedges for each type of shot they feel they need a new bounce on. Just my thoughts!

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I don't think it would even need to be adjustable, just replaceable sole plates. I would buy the Taylor Made xFT, but my sole would only last 1 or maybe 2 face replacements. Being able to pop a new sole in would be great.

I think that the new face is almost the price of the complete wedge though...

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. Taylormade got everything right with that club except for the price point.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Sorry I'm a traditionalists. I want my wedges ground by a real craftsman and I really don't want to see guys on the course in between shots adjusting their wedges for each type of shot they feel they need a new bounce on. Just my thoughts!

Tim

Yeah Tim, but the vast majority of amateur golfers will never play a wedge ground by a real craftsman. I've been in Golfsmith a hundred times over the past year and I've never once seen anyone grinding a wedge in the back for a customer...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah Tim, but the vast majority of amateur golfers will never play a wedge ground by a real craftsman. I've been in Golfsmith a hundred times over the past year and I've never once seen anyone grinding a wedge in the back for a customer...

That's only because you guys cost too much. Take a look at the carpentry that MSaternus does as a hobby. I'm pretty sure there are lots of Americans like him.

I think many of you could develop the skill to do good grinds if you had the time to try but it's just not worth it to you because you're too busy earning a real living. By the time you retire and can give the time to such a hobby, it's more fun to be out there playing. If you take the time to understand what you want in a wedge, I'm pretty sure many of you will be able to find your way to one either through a friend who hobbies or by developing the hobby yourself.

Shambles

Can't change it during the round....so I don't see any advantage over just having a different wedge. It's not like an adjustable driver where you'd want to maybe change based on wind or ground conditions (roll vs carry).

• 2 months later...

I too prefer a simpler system, I cannot imagine changing the face or even angles during a round or at the range, if I need a different club what I do is put the club I am using back in the bag and take out another one, no tools needed, nothing to go wrong...except when I pull out the wrong one and don't read the label.

I will stick to my trusty Wood Bros wedges, the only thing wrong with them is the idiot swinging them.

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

Archived