Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

electric cart - remote or not

mikeW1

Considering Electric Cart. My course is about 6.5 miles to walk 18 but fair amount of up & down. I currently have Sun Mountain push cart which walking 18 is fine. When i walk 9 i usually just carry my bag. On 18, I'm fatigued by end and feeling it on uphills on back 9. I don't want to drop $1500 for top end MGI. Wondering if I really need remote or not. Considering lower end MGI's, MotoKaddy but if I go remote, would be Bat Caddy XR4.

Interested to hear experiences with remote vs non-remote, brands, etc. My buddy I used to play with had Kangaroo but he never used remote. It also looked very heavy and one time it quit on him we had to go back and pick up later.

Thanks!

In the UK Electric Trolleys are really common as a conservative estimate 60% of club golfers use them and the market is dominated by Motocaddy and Powakaddy. Very few people use the top end remote control trolleys I can think of only one member at my club. 

I'm 61 and play 3 or 4 times a week and I've been using a non-remote electric trolley for over 10 years. My latest trolley is about 5 years old and has a Lithium Ion battery which is still going strong. My last trolley had a lead acid and this was shot after 4 years, but it gave me early warning signs getting slower and struggling over the last few holes, so I replaced the battery.

On weight then without battery 20lbs and the Lithium Ion tend to be about 5lbs. If it does conk out it is not easy to push up hill 

One other feature on my trolley is an automatic mode which you can send the trolley on 10, 20 or 30 yds. I tend to use this a couple of time in a round.

Although I play a lot, I have found that if I try to carry I am pretty much spent by the time I get to the 15th, where as with the electric trolley it definitely helps.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I used a Motocaddy S1 DHC for about four years - non remote control version.  I never missed having any remote features in my experience, although the DHC (Down Hill Control?) provided an electric brake of sorts which held the caddy in a stable parked position, even on inclines.

I once had to push the cart with a dead battery, and realized there was a setting (of sorts) in which the wheels could "Free wheel" which made it quite easy to push for the limited time I required.

So for me, remote control was not a requirement or a wish and the Motocaddy cart was manageable in all scenarios.  Mine had a lithium battery, which is considerably lighter than the old lead acid batteries - not sure if they exist anymore, but that could have made pushing a dead cart even more difficult.

I do recall seeing a fellow member trying to push one of the Stewart "follow me" carts once - that did not look like much fun and seemed to require a call to the pro shop for someone to come out and assist in the recovery.

Titleist T300 (2022) 5-PW, W48, W53 plus Taylormade Full Face 56 SW 

Current  driver Titleist TSi3

Hybrids Titleist 818 19 H2 23 H2

Gamer Putter Nike Method Matters B1-07

Ball Titleist Tour Speed / Taylormade Tour Response

Bag is Titleist Linksmaster 

Pushcart is Kaddey

Rangefinder is Voice Caddie SL2

Shotscope club tags 

On 9/7/2022 at 12:00 PM, mikeW1 said:

Considering Electric Cart. My course is about 6.5 miles to walk 18 but fair amount of up & down. I currently have Sun Mountain push cart which walking 18 is fine. When i walk 9 i usually just carry my bag. On 18, I'm fatigued by end and feeling it on uphills on back 9. I don't want to drop $1500 for top end MGI. Wondering if I really need remote or not. Considering lower end MGI's, MotoKaddy but if I go remote, would be Bat Caddy XR4.

Interested to hear experiences with remote vs non-remote, brands, etc. My buddy I used to play with had Kangaroo but he never used remote. It also looked very heavy and one time it quit on him we had to go back and pick up later.

Thanks!

Welcome to MGS and the forum @mikeW1!  While your doing research on motorized bag carts, you might want to check out the current product testing of the Stewart Q Follow Caddie.  Note that there are several tabs in the grey border at the top which move you between tester introductions/reviews, comments, and pre sign-up comments.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

• 4 weeks later...

I had never used a motorized trolley until this past July when I played 36 holes at Gullane in East Lothian, Scotland.  They had Motocaddys without remote control.  However, they did have built in GPS which was a nice feature.  I took a little time and tweaking to get the cart's speed adjusted to my walking pace, but after that it was fine.  on the holes where there was elevation change, the motor function was appreciated especially after walking about 20,000 steps in Edinburgh the day before.  Overall, I'm not sure the remote function would have been that much of advantage.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I suspect those of you who haven't used a motorized cart with a remote, may be at a disadvantage. Having done both for well over a year, the remote is preferable. I manually push my MGI when in very confined spaces (trees, narrow path), but I use the remote 99% of the time, and really it's nice to walk hands free. My back used to get tired pushing my TriSwivel after 15 or so holes, and though it's not a night and day difference, I don't get tired using my MGI. I know quite a few guys with MGI Navigators (AT & plain), and a couple with BatCaddy's who all use their remotes. Interesting, the two guys with Kangaroos do NOT use their remotes - when I ask why they say because it's so large. You can buy used motorized carts for a fraction of new, the guys with the Kangaroos both paid about $300. FWIW

No one I know has had an MGI or a Kangaroo crap out on them, though I am sure it happens occasionally. Pushing an MGI, after disengaging he wheels, would be a nuisance but doable. Pushing a Kangaroo would be a no go, they are very heavy.

And if you buy an MGI, DO NOT put the remote in your pants pocket. Probably OK in a loose pocket like a jacket. It's too easy to bend over and press a button inadvertently. I've seen an MGI take off down a hill into weeds, another storm through the grille patio (enough power to shove chairs out of the way), and a couple wander into green side traps - all because the user put the remote in their pants pocket and bent over or sat down. Nothing against the remotes - just don't put it in your pocket!

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Converted my BagBoy to an electric cart w the Alphard eWheels. Love love love it. Has a remote and so glad it does.   I send it on a head or drive it around the green as I’m walking straight to my ball. Very nice to have. There area times when I still have my hands on the handle, but usually just the remote.

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Bat Caddy XR4 with remote and have had it for five years.    I used to use the remote all the time but anytime it was wet or dew conditions the moisture would cause direction malfunctions. Lately it would just start going in uncontrollable circles. Very frustrating.   After five years I’m ready to get rid of the Bat Caddy and get a Moto Caddy with remote.   I wish I would have gone with Moto Caddy from the beginning.
Anyway with or without remote you’ll never want to use a push cart again.

• 5 months later...
On 10/4/2022 at 11:08 PM, WaffleHouseTour said:

Converted my BagBoy to an electric cart w the Alphard eWheels. Love love love it. Has a remote and so glad it does.   I send it on a head or drive it around the green as I’m walking straight to my ball. Very nice to have. There area times when I still have my hands on the handle, but usually just the remote.

Just got the Alphard V2 and installed it on a Rovic RV1s.  Love the set up.  As I get used to it more I'm finding that I can send my cart to my ball while I'm going in a different direction (i.e., helping others look for their ball, preposition my cart/clubs on tyhe route from the green to the next tee, etc.).  Just a lot of convenience and makes things very enjoyable.

Driver:  Ping G425 LST 9 degrees, stock shaft regular

Fairway: Ping G425 LST 13.5 degrees, stock shaft regular

Hybrids: Ping G425 19 and 22 degrees, stock shaft regular

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max, Project X  LZ105 5.5; 5-AW

Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 52 degrees, TT Dynamic Gold 115; Cleveland SmartSole 58 degrees, stock shaft

Putter:  Axis1 Rose with FlatCat grip

veteran.gif.ce23e65765944402b155f425df8cdfdb.gif.5b4cd6901ad1d0966d36704e6b4d9e7d.gif

image.png.2c141450bfdc56c40426d9df08a4bb4d.png

image.png.3ce9d749de4445b748c0a563eb19c35b.png