TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter Fitting: I Need Some Convincing!

Stuka44

On 9/10/2022 at 7:23 PM, Grasmere5 said:

3E82AE11-643A-4A8A-B88B-CF17AEB2BC12.jpeg

4180672C-57F0-4A90-A3F3-779338B0D836.jpeg

71C4FAB1-F217-4055-8B28-FD4EB915D3E1.jpeg

I love this data and often use it when playing with new golfers or hackers, like me, that get upset at missing putts during the round. But the other day I was thinking about it more in depth and wondered how this data changes for tour pros playing casual rounds on non-PGA greens? If they are playing our local muni and not having the pressure of making a cut    or winning the tournament what % improvement in putts would they have? Conversely, they are playing greens that are less well manicured and 3' slower, so does that help or hurt that % improvement? These are just things that make me go hmmmmmmmm?

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I did a putting experiment over a full round with a pal a couple weeks ago as follows:

For ALL putts, NO lining up from behind the ball, you could ONLY gauge very briefly from the side then the idea was to then as effortlessly as possible because “it didn’t matter” putt the ball ‘at’ the hole within the classic dustbin lid.

Guess what? Our putts were great, sank some, missed most and NO 3 putts at all so we lost nothing!

IMHO The only putts we should practice are from 10’ max, spend the rest of green practice by chipping/pitching closer to the pin, not to be a ‘better’ putter but to be a ‘fewer’ putter 😘

I remember hearing, a long time ago, that 

“there is a ‘greater difference between all doctors’ working in a surgery, than there is a ‘difference between surgeries’ so if you’re not happy don’t change surgeries, change doctors”

my point being regarding different putters is 

”there is a greater difference between golfers and their putting technique/ability than there is with the putter they are using”

so don’t change your putter to hit fewer putts, change your technique: pick a better line, hit it a better strength and you will be a better putter. 😘

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

Cleveland RTX mid grind 50, 58, 56, 60

Oddysey Versa Sabretooth putter (as used by Inbee Park)

Bushnell Pro X3 Rangefinder 

1 hour ago, Grasmere5 said:

I did a putting experiment over a full round with a pal a couple weeks ago as follows:

For ALL putts, NO lining up from behind the ball, you could ONLY gauge very briefly from the side then the idea was to then as effortlessly as possible because “it didn’t matter” putt the ball ‘at’ the hole within the classic dustbin lid.

Guess what? Our putts were great, sank some, missed most and NO 3 putts at all so we lost nothing!

IMHO The only putts we should practice are from 10’ max, spend the rest of green practice by chipping/pitching closer to the pin, not to be a ‘better’ putter but to be a ‘fewer’ putter 😘

so don’t change your putter to hit fewer putts, change your technique: pick a better line, hit it a better strength and you will be a better putter. 😘

This basically says that you should change your putting style to fit the putter.  I don't agree.  I think you need to find a putter that fits your style.  There is shaft length, lie angle, the weight of the head, size of the grip, etc.  Why try to "make do" with a putter that just doesn't feel right to you?  I'm not saying this necessarily requires a "professional" fitting, but it does require that you try a putter before buying.  If it doesn't feel right, you will never be happy.

44 minutes ago, Mark In Land O Lakes said:

This basically says that you should change your putting style to fit the putter.  I don't agree.  I think you need to find a putter that fits your style.  There is shaft length, lie angle, the weight of the head, size of the grip, etc.  Why try to "make do" with a putter that just doesn't feel right to you?  I'm not saying this necessarily requires a "professional" fitting, but it does require that you try a putter before buying.  If it doesn't feel right, you will never be happy.

Yes, I agree, guess the bit I missed was to first get and like the putter you’re using, then get better at using it, changing putters then will not drop your putting numbers at least knowhere near as much as other parts of the game like chipping it closer will🖕

Edited by Grasmere5

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

19 hours ago, Grasmere5 said:

I think your experiment was great and could easily be repeated over time with similar results.  What I think is missing is actual performance numbers.  How long where each of the putts and did you miss putts that should have been made?  How do those number progress though a season or more?   

I’ll disagree with your opinion a little.  Yes, chipping it closer is always good, but we don’t always chip, we may hit approach shots onto the green and have to hit longer putts, which requires us to practice speed control outside of 10’.  If you struggle to roll those 30-40’ putts into one putt range you won’t be a good putter.   when looking at performance metrics, the closer you are to the hole the less separation there is between players.  For example you could easily compete with the best putters in the world from 1 inch away from the hole.   As you move to 3’, 10’, 50’ their ability would start to show and they would have better results.   

I also believe that the putter plays a role in how the player performs. Like the full swing every player moves the putter through the stroke a little differently.  Putter design also influences how the putter moves through the stroke. A player has two choices, they can build a stroke to suit the putter or they can choose a putter that compliments their stroke.  Both approaches can work and there have been very successful putters in both camps,  but the build a stroke player is more likely to have performed issues under pressure as their tendency may be to return to their “natural” stroke.   I agree with you that changing putters isn’t the gateway to better putting but believe there is more to putter selection than just how it looks and feels. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think your experiment was great and could easily be repeated over time with similar results.  What I think is missing is actual performance numbers.  How long where each of the putts and did you miss putts that should have been made?  How do those number progress though a season or more?   

I’ll disagree with your opinion a little.  Yes, chipping it closer is always good, but we don’t always chip, we may hit approach shots onto the green and have to hit longer putts, which requires us to practice speed control outside of 10’.  If you struggle to roll those 30-40’ putts into one putt range you won’t be a good putter.   when looking at performance metrics, the closer you are to the hole the less separation there is between players.  For example you could easily compete with the best putters in the world from 1 inch away from the hole.   As you move to 3’, 10’, 50’ their ability would start to show and they would have better results.   

I also believe that the putter plays a role in how the player performs. Like the full swing every player moves the putter through the stroke a little differently.  Putter design also influences how the putter moves through the stroke. A player has two choices, they can build a stroke to suit the putter or they can choose a putter that compliments their stroke.  Both approaches can work and there have been very successful putters in both camps,  but the build a stroke player is more likely to have performed issues under pressure as their tendency may be to return to their “natural” stroke.   I agree with you that changing putters isn’t the gateway to better putting but believe there is more to putter selection than just how it looks and feels. 

Cheers for your feedback 👌

it wasn’t a serious experiment but a casual one because of our own, typical, frustrations we thought let’s try it with less effort.

Our strokes included all of the types you mentioned that we all have in all of our rounds, long, short, surprise holeouts, annoying lip outs.

What we concluded was that the only putts to take really seriously were within 10 feet, outside of that from 10 to whatever, it was ONLY about getting it close, if it went in then woohoo! Even tour pros only make 50% of 8’ putts.
The more serious the aim (less relaxed perhaps) on longer putts actually made longer putts worse, a more relaxed ‘get it close’ was interestingly quite successful.

I recall similar thoughts about one handed putting getting similar results- more relaxed 🤔?

That was pretty much it, I still believe too much is made of needing great putting to play a great round.
28-34 is absolutely good enough for anyone perhaps 15+ h’cap, and it will not change over years.

For anyone regularly taking 36 or more putts it is NOT about the putter, in as much as a different putter will not take the player regularly down to 30-34. IMHO 🙂

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

7 minutes ago, Grasmere5 said:

That was pretty much it, I still believe too much is made of needing great putting to play a great round.
28-34 is absolutely good enough for anyone perhaps 15+ h’cap, and it will not change over years.

For anyone regularly taking 36 or more putts it is NOT about the putter, in as much as a different putter will not take the player regularly down to 30-34. IMHO 🙂

To your points above I don’t believe that simply looking at putt counts will tell you much about your putting or how good of a player you are.   Hit every green and 36-40 putts might not be considered a bad round of golf but might be bad putting.  Miss every green and 32 putts either is bad chipping or bad putting.  

I’ve worked with a putting specific instructor and based on the information he presented and our discussions I firmly believe that the putter can make a difference in how well a player putts.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

To your points above I don’t believe that simply looking at putt counts will tell you much about your putting or how good of a player you are.   Hit every green and 36-40 putts might not be considered a bad round of golf but might be bad putting.  Miss every green and 32 putts either is bad chipping or bad putting.  

I’ve worked with a putting specific instructor and based on the information he presented and our discussions I firmly believe that the putter can make a difference in how well a player putts.  

Agreed 😅 in general, I’m just not sure that ‘putting well’ also means ‘fewer putts’, the odd one perhaps but ide like to see some longer term putting stats to show fewer putts before/after change. 

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

Took the liberty of spreadsheeting my own putting stats with reference to the WHS indexing of “average of best 8 out of last 20 rounds but including the worst 12”

Not putt distances or total putting feet but just “number of putts”, my guess is those “putt distance” stats will even out over a period for any individual player and way too complicated to mean much or to do anything about.

Anyway, here they are, not quite sure what to take from them but these are the numbers 😂

F6EE91E5-3645-44B1-90DF-B5311B3AC14A.jpeg.1cb60e463f30ac5be7c5baa1433e544e.jpeg

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

I fit but as far a putters go, what you need to know is the most comfortable length and grip, and most important, face balanced or toe hang. Everyone has an arc, some more than others. Drop a yardstick on the ground, place your putter in the center, and take a stroke back and forth. Watch your arc, then play around with putters at your local store to see what you like best. I've been fit with two different systems, and just playing with different models is just as good. The most important putts are 3-5 footers. Get a putter that works best for these lengths.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

9 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

and most important, face balanced or toe hang.

play around with putters at your local store to see what you like best. I've been fit with two different systems, and just playing with different models is just as good.

The most important putts are 3-5 footers. Get a putter that works best for these lengths.

Okay, I’ll bite.  While I agree that a knowledgeable person can generally fit themselves  into a putter, you have only provided generic information.  Since this thread is about fitting how about adding more clarification on how to fit yourself? 

1. How does a person determine how much toe hang they need?  What doe they look for when picking up that putter in the store?  Is a 335 gram 45* toe hang putter equivalent to a 370gram 45* toe hang putter?   Do hosel types have any influence on the putter during the stroke or doe it nit matter at all?

2. while playing around with different putters can be an effective way to fit yourself, what do you look for? what does “playing around” mean?  Is there a process an do you trust that the greens at the store are straight?  Do you putt to a hole?   How do you evaluate 3-5 footers in a store?   Don’t 3-5’ have a fairly high tolerance for face angle at impact?  If I am missing those is it more putter or stroke?  Wouldn’t it be better to evaluate at 8-12 foot where the impact tolerances are greater?  

3. Why aren’t longer putts more important since they generally have the biggest influence on whether you 3 putt. Why isn’t speed the most important?  

4. You don’t mention loft, is that not important?   How much loft do I need and what influence does loft have?   What happens if loft isn’t correct?  

4. Like with full swing launch monitors, the systems are only as the fitter and a good putter fitting can be done without a system.  why are putters different than any other club in the bag and players don’t benefit from a professional fitting?  

Excellent points. Our store sells thousands of putters/year, new and used, SAM is available for $50, but only a tiny percentage wants that actual fitting. But I can take an hour with a customer to help him decide which putter is best. Looking at his arc, trying putters of all arcs, weights, lengths, grips, it can be done. We can check up to 20' putts, but I concentrate on 6'. Amazing on how many 6' putts the pros miss! But one thing is in common with every putt...it's straight! And I want to see which putter gives that straight putt consistency. Lofts and lies are standard on most stock putters, but I have a master builder who can make adjustments, but that rarely happens. Drives me nuts when a person wants to buy a putter as a gift! I always recommend a gift card. I've been thru fittings with 6 manufacturers, so maybe I'm more aware of what to watch for, but I feel a buyer can do it if they take the time at a good pro shop, try many different putters on the green, and ask a fitter at that location for assistance.

Certified Club Fitter.

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

1 hour ago, HDTVMAN said:

Lofts and lies are standard on most stock putters, but I have a master builder who can make adjustments, but that rarely happens. 

We can check up to 20' putts, but I concentrate on 6'. Amazing on how many 6' putts the pros miss! 

Thanks for the further elaboration.  I contend there is no standard loft just like there are few standards in the industry. What is the standard loft?  Many are 3, but some are 1 or 2, Cameron is 3.5.   I am assuming you just do good enough which is probably fine for most golfers, but as shown in a recent TXG video, center with the same static settings, one putter had backspin at launch and the second didn’t.  Loft will impact distance control and based on how a player delivers the putter stock  may result in poor distance control which needs to be evaluated outside if 10 feet.  

while pros miss a lot of putts at 6 feet (66% make rate off all putts not just straight) based on my testing straight putts  10’ is where putters start to separate as that is where anything 1* or worse face angle error will miss.  6’ still has a pretty generous 1.6* of error.  This is where fitting using gates of Quintic/Puttlab become beneficial to the fitter.  At 6’ are you just looking at how many putts go in the hole or do you assess where the ball enters the hole?  

Many putters do skid which is why I prefer real grass greens to synthetic. Another point...according to Callaway fitters at the Performance Center in Carlsbad, if you are off on your line by 2 degrees, you will miss the putt. A week before I was there a Callaway Champions Tour pro went thru the fitting center and was 3.5 degrees off. When he left he was .5 degrees off. They showed me his computer specs before and after and it was amazing that not only was his putter slightly off, his stance was too. If your aim is off, you're toast on the green. 

Certified Club Fitter.

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

2 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

Many putters do skid which is why I prefer real grass greens to synthetic. Another point...according to Callaway fitters at the Performance Center in Carlsbad, if you are off on your line by 2 degrees, you will miss the putt. A week before I was there a Callaway Champions Tour pro went thru the fitting center and was 3.5 degrees off. When he left he was .5 degrees off. They showed me his computer specs before and after and it was amazing that not only was his putter slightly off, his stance was too. If your aim is off, you're toast on the green. 

1.  All putts skid; that is the first part of the putt prior to rolling.   Too much loft and a putt will bounce too much and too little loft and you drive the ball into the green and it bounces.   

2. Yes,  you get 2 degrees in each direction for a 5 foot put;  like I  said in my post 1.6 misses a 6 footer.  The Champions Tour player you mention was missing 3 footers with 3.5 degrees.  

3. Consistent aim is what you want;  aim <> impact.   face angle at impact is what determines the direction the ball goes.  You can aim perfectly but still deliver an incorrect face angle at impact.   An assessment of PGA tour players shows that they don't have perfect aim.  This is from a report where players were evaluated:

The average of the Tour players for aiming the putter face is slightly right by 0.35°. What is quite surprising is the wide distribution of aiming over the group. The SD of 1.56° indicates that more than 55% of the players aim to a target outside of the hole on a straight 4-m putt. The average consistency of each player is 0.67°.

Stance is also independent;  you can setup open, square, or close as long as it is consistent. 

On 9/29/2022 at 6:08 AM, cnosil said:

I’ve read the PElz book. Not to sound negative and I know people have ways that work for them, but you really didn’t provide any supportive information.  Explain why you believe what you said to be true for everyone.  What makes you think that that approach would work for everyone?  Putts per round don’t really matter as Greens hit will significantly influence that number.  People can practice and learn to putt well with putters and approaches that don’t work efficiently for them.  For example I can learn to hold off rotation to accommodate an consistent left miss or I can find a putter that rotates a little slower rotation.  I can deal with too much or too little loft and struggle with distance control or I can find the right loft for my swing to give me a more consistent roll.   The f you watch the video, you would have seen two putters that had the same length, loft, and lie angle perform differently enough to influence total performance but close enough that most people would consider them the same.  You even say it in your post that you “can use almost any face balanced putter”; why can you use any face balanced putter if you do the things you said in your post?

I am not sure yr question, but, in practices in stores or on practice greens, I have hit putts with a variety of face balanced putters with pretty good results.  Including Toulon, TM Spyder 72, some Ping, some Cleveland.  I feel comfortable with them.  I stick for now with Musty wood mallet and a 7 yr old Cameron Futura X.  When I get healthy enough to actually play some 18s I will probably use the heavier Cameron.  I have considered adding weight thru the shaft to the Musty for more stability on shorts, but for now I have been practicing stabilizing my 5 ft range.  I am more likley to twist the shaft on a short than on a long putt.    And when I feel like dropping $4 or $5 biggies, maybe get a fitting from Guerin Rife at Evnroll, a mere few miles from home. 

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

9 hours ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

I am not sure yr question, but, in practices in stores or on practice greens, I have hit putts with a variety of face balanced putters with pretty good results.  Including Toulon, TM Spyder 72, some Ping, some Cleveland.  I feel comfortable with them.  I stick for now with Musty wood mallet and a 7 yr old Cameron Futura X.  When I get healthy enough to actually play some 18s I will probably use the heavier Cameron.  I have considered adding weight thru the shaft to the Musty for more stability on shorts, but for now I have been practicing stabilizing my 5 ft range.  I am more likley to twist the shaft on a short than on a long putt.    And when I feel like dropping $4 or $5 biggies, maybe get a fitting from Guerin Rife at Evnroll, a mere few miles from home. 

The question the OP asked was are fittings worth it?   Your response was read a book, read a magazine article about Jordan Spieth,  this approach to putting works for me....   Your response to me says you tinker with your putters but you also might go get a fitting.   

So the question is are you an: as a player I can practice an learn to putt with any putter and that approach is the best or putter fittings are beneficial and something everyone should do.   Also explain what you think that is what people should do.

Likely been said somewhere, but yes I think Putter fittings can be worth it. If not for a new putter itself, but the education of learning what your stroke is like, what the effects of how you are putting is being influenced by putter X or Y and so on. That being said if there was one company I would suggest looking into it is Edel. @GolfSpy MPR had some really cool insights with his. He was (still is?) a putter tinkerer and through many different putters and variations found out after his fitting that he did eventually fit himself into a putter that was beneficial for him, however with the Edel putter he did see some marketable improvements. 

Of course it could depend on who or where you go, but I certainly believe that they can be beneficial. If not for the specific product, but for the education and knowledge that can be gained through the experience. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Where did the originator, stuka44, go?  At this point it's just a bunch of other people chatting away.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

• 3 months later...
On 10/6/2022 at 8:50 AM, cnosil said:

Okay, I’ll bite.  While I agree that a knowledgeable person can generally fit themselves  into a putter, you have only provided generic information.  Since this thread is about fitting how about adding more clarification on how to fit yourself? 

1. How does a person determine how much toe hang they need?  What doe they look for when picking up that putter in the store?  Is a 335 gram 45* toe hang putter equivalent to a 370gram 45* toe hang putter?   Do hosel types have any influence on the putter during the stroke or doe it nit matter at all?

2. while playing around with different putters can be an effective way to fit yourself, what do you look for? what does “playing around” mean?  Is there a process an do you trust that the greens at the store are straight?  Do you putt to a hole?   How do you evaluate 3-5 footers in a store?   Don’t 3-5’ have a fairly high tolerance for face angle at impact?  If I am missing those is it more putter or stroke?  Wouldn’t it be better to evaluate at 8-12 foot where the impact tolerances are greater?  

3. Why aren’t longer putts more important since they generally have the biggest influence on whether you 3 putt. Why isn’t speed the most important?  

4. You don’t mention loft, is that not important?   How much loft do I need and what influence does loft have?   What happens if loft isn’t correct?  

4. Like with full swing launch monitors, the systems are only as the fitter and a good putter fitting can be done without a system.  why are putters different than any other club in the bag and players don’t benefit from a professional fitting?  

You raise a lot of good questions here which leads me feeling a fitting would be very appropriate so I can better understand what spec works best for me and what my stroke characteristics are and/or should be.  

Until few years ago, I was an unofficial mid 20s hdcp, but through lessons and a lot of practice now play to a GHIN 11-12.  Until this improvement, I NEVER practiced putting but thought I was a decent putter.  I was/am not.  I do practice frequently now and am trying to build a consistent style and stroke, but  couldn’t begin to answer your questions. 

I  prefer a blade style and have used a Ping B60.   For a lot of years I used a back/forth stroke and found I was as likely to miss a 4 footer as make a 10 footer.  Rationale is that for shorter putts I would subconsciously get armsy/hands and pull the putt.  This past year, I have worked a lot on reducing independent arm motion and using shoulder turn as well as a small arc. 

My results have been much better but also just ok.  I play the same courses a lot and do pretty well reading the greens.  My pace and lines have improved and very good from 20’ and closer.  Beyond 20’, I have a putter problem (both equipment and operator, but largely equipment).  Overall I avg 34.4 putts/round but feel I should be 2-3 better, this includes 2.5 up/downs per round. 

The putter head is light. When faced with a long put, I need a longer shoulder turn and in doing so, I get mishits.  My putter has a blue material inset with an edge around it.  My mishits come from raising the club slightly (1/4”???), and the ball comes off dead and a 30’ footer goes 20 -25’, and often times I feel my line and stroke are what they should be. 

WAs recently hitting 30’ footers at pgstss with a blade oddesey DFX #1.  Hit a bunch with no or very slight mishits with really good results.  Last week was hitting a PXG Brandon blade on a practice green, up to 40’.  Mostly very good but a few off center hits that I could feel but no loss of distance.  Both putters felt heavier in the head which reduces the amount of shoulder turn and much more comfortable in my hands. 

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

9 minutes ago, GaryF said:

I  prefer a blade style and have used a Ping B60.

The putter head is light. When faced with a long put, I need a longer shoulder turn and in doing so, I get mishits.  My putter has a blue material inset with an edge around it.  My mishits come from raising the club slightly (1/4”???), and the ball comes off dead and a 30’ footer goes 20 -25’, and often times I feel my line and stroke are what they should be. 

WAs recently hitting 30’ footers at pgstss with a blade oddesey DFX #1.  Hit a bunch with no or very slight mishits with really good results.  Last week was hitting a PXG Brandon blade on a practice green, up to 40’.  Mostly very good but a few off center hits that I could feel but no loss of distance.  Both putters felt heavier in the head which reduces the amount of shoulder turn and much more comfortable in my hands. 

... If you really like your B60, you can always add some lead tape to the sole. I play my putters at 33.5" so I always need more weight and apply lead tape on the sole. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

13 minutes ago, chisag said:

... If you really like your B60, you can always add some lead tape to the sole. I play my putters at 33.5" so I always need more weight and apply lead tape on the sole. 

I actually did that about a month ago but haven’t played or practiced with it.  At the end of last season, I went back to an old Nicklaus blade that has a huge head, mainly to verify if I was right about the mishits. Just not in love with it.  I think the interface on the Ping between the inset material and metal have a different bounce factor.C8AD92F7-F5DC-4CD0-A3C1-EA316EFCD3E8.jpeg.a5e1fb0b7eb6d1feb5560e0e6af9b3a9.jpeg

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

24 minutes ago, GaryF said:

You raise a lot of good questions here which leads me feeling a fitting would be very appropriate so I can better understand what spec works best for me and what my stroke characteristics are and/or should be.  

Hard to say if a fitting is beneficial as everyone is different.  I like to understand the details and fall a little on the mechanical side of things.  Players that are feel based may not want to know any details about their stroke and just want to adapt to the feel of the putter.   The point of my post was simply to say that in a fitting there are a lot of factors that need to be considered and many times people just reference toe hang which really doesn't tell you much about what putter you need.

A light putter shouldn't impact your ability to control distance over 20', but sometimes it does and a little more mass helps.  Put 10 grams of lead tape on the bottom and see if it helps.   As you get over 30',  distance control becomes harder and it is something that just needs practice.   Sounds like you are making progress with your putting!

2 hours ago, GaryF said:

Fittings are beneficial for several reasons.

if you have a bad fitting experience you get to learn that and what you want out of your next fitting and vice versa if you have a good one you found a fitter to keep going to or if you choose somewhere else to go what to look for to make sure you have another good experience.

Lots of information can be gained from a fitting. Whether for full swing clubs, wedges, putters or golf balls. You find out what works and what doesn’t for you. You learn what you do in a stroke and what things you should work on.

if you have a good fitter you learn about equipment and why things are happening either with current setup or with combos the fitter is given you. 

To me the price of most fittings is worth what you can gain in knowledge from the fitting as well as peace of mind you have the best club to help you have the best chance to play your best

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 3 months later...
On 9/8/2022 at 2:58 PM, Stuka44 said:

Some Background!  I am 56, my handicap is likely more accurately a 13-15 at this point, and I have never had a golf lesson.  I tried to have an iron fitting 3 years ago, and I can't hit off a mat, it would have appeared that I had never held a golf club, at that iron fitting.  Now I have read many a post on this site with many eluding to  the benefits of a Putter Fitting!  Now I'm pretty sure I could handle a Putter fitting without skulling, or grounding any balls into the screen.

As the title indicates,    I am not  "Anti" putter fitting, but I have my concerns as to how much benefit I could realistically expect. For clarity I do not believe I am a bad putter. I am aware like Dave P, points out that pros make 50/50 from 8 feet.  My 50/50 is 6 feet.  I lag putt pretty well and don't 3 putt excesively. I believe my make percentages at various distances are acceptable when compared to those of the pros.   While cost isn't a prohibition, I have explored Club Champion and others and it seems that all of the putter brands these places want to fit you into are $300 + dollar putters.  I bought my Ping Scottsdale Wolverine in circa 2013-14 for around $110(and I like it and have no problem with it).  If it can really help I will spend the money.  Or is this a case of I have to "believe" that a putter fitting will help me, or perceive a problem to be corrected in my putting. And I don't know if I arc the putter, I believe I'm more of straight back and through, honestly its not something I have or ever will consider, I just line up the putt and hit it, trying to repeat my motion over and over again.

I am open to  questions about my game/putting to clarify things,  and comments to help me see if a putter fitting will help me.  I guess I'm looking to see if there is anyone like me, who is(or believes they are) a decent putter, and doesn't perceive any real problems with their putting, who had a fitting and experienced a revalation, about how much better they were after the fitting.

Thanks in Advance!

I'm curious what did you end up doing? How has it worked out for you?

Untitled design-3.png

What’s everyone’s average putts then, after a new fitted putter, my guess is it’s consistently no different 🤔

Edited by Grasmere5

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

50 minutes ago, Grasmere5 said:

IMHO - anyone who putts < 36 per round and only has the odd 3 putt does not need fitting with a putter. 
They should concentrate on getting it on the green and nearer the pin for the first putt and “this” will reduce their putting numbers more than trying to be a “better” putter with a better putter.

... Respectfully getting it on the green and nearer the hole will save lots of issues.🤪  It isn't that easy. I would also say where you play makes a big difference. Medium paced muni's with relatively flat greens compared fast, very undulating resort or CC greens can be a radically different story. Do you have an approach shot with a hybrid or a pw? Our #1 handicap hole plays uphill off the tee and can leave 200+ for the second shot. But a short par 4 a few holes later calls for a 5 iron off the tee and a pw approach. Stats can be very misleading and I have always felt common sense was a better indicator.

... Crazy windy Wednesday and I had a 35 foot putt where I was happy to be on the green from 182yds with a quartering 30mph wind and the slope with the wind helping made a 2 putt seem like a birdie. Wind was pushing the ball downhill with a small tier just before the hole and I was lucky to get it over the tier to 8 feet and missed for a 3 putt. Same green, same wind and if my ball had been 35 feet straight uphill on the other side of the tier I would expect a 2 putt every time. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

46 minutes ago, Grasmere5 said:

What’s everyone’s average putts then, after a new fitted putter, my guess is it’s consistently no different 🤔

There a lot more than just a fitted club that goes into the average putts.

just Ike a fitted driver and fitted irons aren’t going to automatically drop scores, a fitted putt doesn’t just change average putts.

gir, proximity to hole are going to impact that more than the putter itself.

Fitted clubs just give the golfer a tool that works for their swing/stroke so that they don’t have to fight the equipment to acheive a result. The golfer still has to execute the shot in front of them.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

@chisag  @RickyBobby_PR

don’t necessarily disagree with thoughts on “there’s more to it . . .etc” 

but . . . Apart from the pleasure of the game golf is about the numbers and I genuinely believe that in the putting part of the game, very little will improve in putting numbers just by having a “fitted” putter. More time and effort should be spent on other aspects, ‘diminishing returns’ and all that.

Eg I reckon that most single figure players have putting stats similar to when they were mid teen handicap, it’s the last part of the game where numbers will be much different. Driving distance, driving accuracy, approach accuracy, chipping accuracy will all likely to be “much better” as h’cap comes down (or h’cap will come down because those aspects are getting better 😉) number of putts improvement will be marginal - even tour pros hole ‘only’ 50% of 8’ putts. 

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

Found this rather interesting Arcoss putting statistics report on my golf spy albeit from 2017.

https://mygolfspy.com/labs/mygolfspy-labs-the-arccos-putting-study/

I know this thread is about whether a ‘fitted’ putter is worth having, but the report has no mention of putter makes or anything about the  putters themselves - just the numbers.

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW